daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #3141
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A DDI in Lexington, Kentucky.

Can't they use roundabouts instead of these things? like two signalized intersections... what for? lol

mcarling, Tommy Boy liked this post
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #3142
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I think a roundabout hurts flow too much
The DDI has only a single two-phase signal on either end.

If you exit the freeway and want to turn right, you have a YIELD or free movement
If you want to go left, you have only one light to pass (from the freeway or the minor road too)
If you go straight across, you have two lights

Roundabout is great for moderate flow that is balanced but if you get a large flow it clogs up :/
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #3143
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
looks like the Foothills Parkway will be one hell of a nice drive, one day.
The current section that is open is already a nice drive, whenever they complete the newer sections it will be even more amazing.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #3144
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

That missing link of the Foothills Parkway could open by summer 2017, according to news reports. It has been under construction since the 1980s. (not 1944, that's when it was approved, construction of the initial segments didn't began until the 1960s).

I doubt if the Wears Valley - Cosby segment will ever be completed. It's very low on the priorities list. It's really nice for tourists, but it won't solve many traffic issues in Tennessee.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #3145
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
Can't they use roundabouts instead of these things? like two signalized intersections... what for? lol
Because Americans have historically had an irrational hatred for roundabouts, mainly.

IIRC in the literature there is research showing that roundabouts are markedly more efficient than signalized intersections in terms of throughput.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #3146
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
This actually looks like it is far more efficient and flows even better than a round about, though round abouts are quite nice.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #3147
Joshua Dodd

Dallas Horse Shoe Project progress update:

Old December 4th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #3148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I love how they frequently release new aerial photos of this project. All large projects should have it.

It's a huge concentration of bridges in that area.
Old December 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #3149
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

I never understood the purpose of those parkways. Are they just for tourists? Also the way they are build most of the time is interesting (grade separate, few exits..).

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #3150
Joshua Dodd

What are you exactly referring to?

Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #3151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Scenic parkways like the Foothills Parkway in Tennessee that was posted on the previous page.

They are mostly for tourists, trucks are usually banned and they serve hardly any developments. That's also a reason why they don't get much funding.

They built a pretty large bridge for the Natchez Trace Parkway in Tennessee:
Old December 4th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #3152
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
I never understood the purpose of those parkways. Are they just for tourists? Also the way they are build most of the time is interesting (grade separate, few exits..).
I believe they're actually built and maintained by the National Park Service and the purpose is to make National Parks easier to get to (or get around in...Skyline Drive in Virginia is probably the main attraction of Shenandoah National Park).

Robert Moses' early parkways on Long Island had the same purpose although they now function as freeways (freeways which don't allow trucks).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #3153
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Such a waste of numbers for designation, with I175 and I375... All signs would be pointing towards 275, or the local downtown destinations anyways...
St. Petersburg, FL

Also, on an unrelated note, is there a reason why Florida's Turnpike isn't receiving an interstate designation? Or NJTP or GSP in Jersey for that matter?
Is it not legal for private companies to collect tolls and manage interstate highways? Don't Indiana, or Ohio have these types of toll highways which also have an Interstate designation? Just a general wonderation, thanks

NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #3154
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I believe they're actually built and maintained by the National Park Service and the purpose is to make National Parks easier to get to (or get around in...Skyline Drive in Virginia is probably the main attraction of Shenandoah National Park).
The Blue Ridge Parkway (the other side of the Great Smokey Mountains from the Foothills Pkwy, with Skyline Drive being a northwards of extension of it) is the second most visited NPS site, IIRC.

Though I think that stat ignores the Baltimore-Washington Parkway - which is surely the NPS's busiest road.

Most of the parkways aren't about making national parks easier to get to/around. Skyline Drive is. John D. Rockerfeller Memorial Parkway (The route between Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs that is also several US routes, and became part of the NPS to plug the small gap between the two parks, giving continuous NPS maintained land) is arguably about that. Colonial Parkway in Jamestown, etc area links together some NPS sites as well.
Quote:
Such a waste of numbers for designation, with I175 and I375... All signs would be pointing towards 275, or the local downtown destinations anyways...
Why is it a waste? It's not like they would be used elsewhere!
Quote:
Also, on an unrelated note, is there a reason why Florida's Turnpike isn't receiving an interstate designation?
One has never been requested by FL DOT.
Quote:
Or NJTP
Most of it is interstate (I-295 at the bottom end, I-95 north of the PA Turnpike) and the bit that isn't has an interstate (I-295) running along the corridor toll free and not too far away.
Quote:
or GSP
Substandard (and doesn't allow trucks IIRC).
Quote:
in Jersey
Jersey is outside the FHWA's jurisdiction and has A, B and C roads rather than Interstates and the like :P
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #3155
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I'd delete all interstate routes that are basically long ramps: the aforementioned I-175 and I-375, I-865 Northwest of Indianapolis, I-189 in Burlington VT, etc. I'd also delete I-180 in Cheyenne WY since it's not a freeway. I'd also sign every damn interstate highway, if you aren't going to sign it, don't designate it, you bastard. This is what I've done with I-595 in this proposal for adding a second beltway around Washington DC, fittingly numbered I-666 (Ignore the Speed Limit 85 section tag, as I added it as a reference to a running gag in another forum):

I'd also delete all business Interstate routes that run entirely on freeways, like Bus I-85 in Greensboro or Bus I-80 in Sacramento. Incidentally, deleting Bus I-80 from Sacramento would cause I-305 to surface.

And by the way, people in the area refer to New Jersey as just Jersey, although it's true Jersey is also one of the Channel islands, the crown dependencies of the UK off the coast of France, along with Guernsey and Alderney. This also explains how the versions of Jersey City in the original Grand Theft Auto (Guernsey City) and GTA IV (Alderney City) got their names.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #3156
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

that map of DC threw me for a loop until I realized it's only a dream

I kind of like I-189 in Burlington. It's the only spur interstate in the whole state.

Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #3157
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
(Ignore the Speed Limit 85 section tag, as I added it as a reference to a running gag in another forum):
though the lines eminating from it are at 90 degrees to where they ought to be for that in-joke. Otherwise it just looks like you think the joke is a suggestion of an 85mph speed limit, which it isn't, making you not 'in' the in-joke.
Quote:
And by the way, people in the area refer to New Jersey as just Jersey
Duh! Another joke that you didn't understand - did you not see the ':P' which, on other forums (and pretty much all messaging software) would turn into a smilie that means "don't take this seriously". Perhaps I ought to have put ""?

NFZANMNIM, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #3158
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

I've realized I posted in the wrong thread, this is the one about anything that doesn't have a red, blue and white shield.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #3159
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19164

State Hwy 504 in Waszyngton. Leading to Mount St Helens

DSC01037
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P9232099
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P9221961
by Geogregor*, on Flickr