daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #3161
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

And the last few. Very scenic drive.

DSC01057
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01058
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Heading back west:

DSC01059
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01060
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #3162
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Re 175 and 375 in Saint Petersburg: Yes, they're arguably just long ramps (like the "Ohio Street Ramp" in Chicago) or, pairs of ramps. But one justification for numbering them may be to distinguish them from each other.

Re toll roads without Interstate designations: Originally, Interstates were in fact supposed to be toll-free. (I saw the item in the Interstate thread about the new/rebuilt I-65 bridges at Louisville being told and my gut reaction was, say what?) And existing toll roads where therefore not going to get Interstate numbers. Eventually, they gave Interstate designations to some toll roads for navigational convenience. But the Garden State Parkway once you get south of the Turnpike is sort of a dead end....

Re Parkways: The Natchez Trace may be less a way to get to national parks then a historically significant road in its own right...maybe they felt building a parkway was the best way to preserve it and permit the public to experience it? Just guessing.

Re Jersey: It has C roads? Does it really need them? How many C roads are there in Great Britain proper for that matter?

Re unsigned Interstates: I totally agree. If you're not going to sign them, don't designate them. Although I gather GPSes (personally, I don't use such newfangled contraptions) recognize some of them....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #3163
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Well as far as highways in NJ go: I've found that the Turnpike, AC Expwy, GS Parkway, etc are as good as (if not better than) Interstates, in terms of quality. Some of these have natural designations:

Designate the AC Expwy I-76. This is a total no-brainer as I-76 runs directly into the Expressway anyway.

One can also argue along similar lines for designating NJ-55 an extension of I-676, though that road ends just past Millville, and most of its users want to go to Wildwood, a fair distance away. (I'd also argue, therefore, that it should be extended to the Garden State Parkway.)

The NJ Turnpike is being designated I-95 from its current I-95 designation south to where it meets I-276, which is being redesignated I-95 over to where it meets I-95 in PA (which is getting a new interchange). South of that, I have no clue what you would designate it as. It essentially functions as an express highway of I-295, but if you wanted to designate "Local 295" and "Express 295" you'd have to build a direct interchange between I-295 and the NJ Turnpike somewhere around where I-276 is. This suggests an I-276/I-295 interchange?

I wouldn't quite say that the Garden State Parkway goes nowhere. It is, after all, heavily used all the way down to Cape May. But giving it a designation is hard. Maybe I-987, since it can be interpreted as a spur off a spur of I-87 (which would work even better if you upgraded NJ-17 to Interstate standards and redesignated it I-87) and signing a road I-987 is fun in a silly kind of way?

As far as the St. Petersburg highways ... both of those spurs should be removed and converted into boulevards IMO. They're stub highways.

Last edited by hammersklavier; December 7th, 2015 at 09:03 PM.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #3164
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I dunno. I think the concept of "intrastate" Interstates is pretty silly... I'd even think of converting all local spur and loop routes to state numbers...

Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #3165
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I dunno. I think the concept of "intrastate" Interstates is pretty silly...
... especially in Hawaii.

mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #3166
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21231

You can travel on scenic routes pretty much all the way from Washignton to New Orleands (mainly on Blue Ridge and Natchez Trace parkways).

----------

What is the status of that highway project in Dallas to follow the Trinity river?

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #3167
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I dunno. I think the concept of "intrastate" Interstates is pretty silly... I'd even think of converting all local spur and loop routes to state numbers...
I don't think 'intrastate' Interstate Highways are really bad. Although they run in only one state, they usually are an important connection within the Interstate Highway network. For example renumbering I-45 in Texas to a state highway would seem weird.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #3168
sotonsi

The complaint against intrastate interstates is a silly semantic one.

Interstate refers to the network (OK, there's some Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico issues where the Interstates don't connect with the rest of the network), rather than the road. I-45 in TX, etc are all part of the Interstate network even if the road itself doesn't leave the state. Same goes for 3dis.
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #3169
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
(OK, there's some Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico issues where the Interstates don't connect with the rest of the network)
Ah but you are evidently forgetting the full name my dear fellow.

the "National System of Interstate and Defense Highways"

If it connects 2 National Guard armouries either side of a mountain in Idaho it can get an I number for itself.

sotonsi liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #3170
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 92, Tampa, FL

A plan seems to be moving forward to construct elevated toll lanes along Gandy Boulevard (US 92) in Tampa. It would allow a free-flow connection from the Gandy Bridge to the Selmon Expressway.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...ct_extens.html

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #3171
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

So nobody could cheat and use that free US92!
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #3172
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Any chance for Everett Turnpike and Northwest Expressway to be designated as I-89? That would make I-89+QC A-35 truly a Montreal-Boston Highway
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:56 AM   #3173
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
Any chance for Everett Turnpike and Northwest Expressway to be designated as I-89? That would make I-89+QC A-35 truly a Montreal-Boston Highway
Probably about as likely as my proposed NJ designations upthread ... that is to say, not very likely.

NFZANMNIM liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #3174
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

The entire Metroplex is experiencing a massive infrastructure overhaul. Nearly every freeway in Dallas and Fort Worth is being entirely restructured. Many projects have not even started yet. What is happening is DFW has become the central logistics hub for the entire Western Hemisphere. Thanks in part to geographical location and the DFW International Airport and major rail lines, DFW is the official logistics capitol of North and South America now.

Now, here are some photographs of freeway construction in Fort Worth from October:

FM 2258, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #3175
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What is the status of that highway project in Dallas to follow the Trinity river?
The Trinity River Toll Road has been meeting tremendous opposition from the local community. However, the road will be built:

Quote:
August 12, 2015, the Dallas City Council voted unanimously to approve the following amendment regarding the Trinity Parkway and Trinity Lakes funding

FM 2258 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #3176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hampton Roads Crossing

Alternative D of the Hampton Roads Crossing study in Virginia.

* Alternative A: widening I-64 to six lanes
* Alternative B: widening I-64 to six lanes + new connection to Craney Island and SR-164
* Alternative C: widening I-664 to eight lanes + new connection to Naval Station Norfolk
* Alternative D: combination of B+C.

Project website: http://hamptonroadscrossingstudy.org/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod liked this post
Old December 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #3177
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Can we have a complete map of the projects around DFW?

Bender, Buffaboy liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #3178
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Alternative D of the Hampton Roads Crossing study in Virginia.

/
Good to see, the traffic congestion in this region is terrible, especially on the I-64 side and even (maybe especially) on the municipal network.
They put tolls up all over the place in the past few years but haven't really built anything yet...
Old December 12th, 2015, 03:42 AM   #3179
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

so what would that become? Big Dig Portsmouth Edition? or all of it would be elevated / on reclaimed land?
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #3180
Kanadzie

I would expect anything over water to involve tunnels (maybe interspersed with bridges) because of the Navy wanting to pass around (like most other crossings)
Probably mostly reclaimed land on that small N-S road connecting extended 564 to 164 (I think that "island" is all reclaimed, too square to be real...)

Portsmouth has a really nice and small city centre. I remember going there at night but getting surprised by the monument "to our Confederate dead." - I was like "ah yes, this is the South "

Tags
united states