daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #3261
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

just keep the eyes (and radar detector) open and you'll be fine.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2016, 12:00 AM   #3262
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Must every major urban highway project over here turn into a money pit?
Too many people trying to fill their pockets and things get overlooked or done half assed. In the case of Seattle they weren't inspecting the ground after Bertha restarted. Which is when they should have been going overboard with checking everything. Makes no sense. Bertha hasn't even gotten to the difficult part of the dig and has had nothing but problems. Personally I hope they abandon the tunnel and just rebuild the viaduct.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #3263
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Too many people trying to fill their pockets and things get overlooked or done half assed. In the case of Seattle they weren't inspecting the ground after Bertha restarted. Which is when they should have been going overboard with checking everything. Makes no sense. Bertha hasn't even gotten to the difficult part of the dig and has had nothing but problems. Personally I hope they abandon the tunnel and just rebuild the viaduct.
I wouldn't rebuild the viaduct though. That has problems of its own. IIRC wasn't there a proposal to just boulevard-ize the Alaskan Way?

hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #3264
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Loop 335, Amarillo, TX

A new website has been launched to provide information about the Loop 335 freeway conversion around Amarillo, Texas.

http://www.theamarilloloop.com/

The plan is to ultimately upgrade all of Loop 335 to a freeway with frontage roads. The freeway will feature four lanes, that will be able to accomodate six lanes if needed. They also plan two 5-level stack interchanges at both intersections with I-40 and a new interchange with I-27.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:34 AM   #3265
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
I wouldn't rebuild the viaduct though. That has problems of its own. IIRC wasn't there a proposal to just boulevard-ize the Alaskan Way?
It was one of the proposals but if you experience traffic here you wouldn't want a boulevard. There are currently only two "quick" routes through downtown north-south the viaduct and I-5. I-5 is one of the worst bottlenecks in the country and the viaduct is the only real alternative. We'll see if they finally resume tunneling and the viaduct will close for almost a month. I can't even imagine what a traffic nightmare that will be.

Old February 5th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #3266
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10402

Not that much of a thought really. The current construction closing lanes on Hwy 99 just north of Mercer has already made it an unusable wreck. Everyone is going to have to just deal with I-5.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #3267
hammersklavier
Feral

Quote:
It was one of the proposals but if you experience traffic here you wouldn't want a boulevard. There are currently only two "quick" routes through downtown north-south the viaduct and I-5. I-5 is one of the worst bottlenecks in the country and the viaduct is the only real alternative. We'll see if they finally resume tunneling and the viaduct will close for almost a month. I can't even imagine what a traffic nightmare that will be.
Honestly, I would just reroute I-5 to bypass the city center entirely. You guys have a ring road. Then I would break the current I-5 path in DT (and urban core) Seattle, turning the current freeway into a pair of N-S approach highways.

When we had to close part of I-95 here for some time it was a traffic nightmare for maybe a few days but then it all disappeared as people figured out other ways to get there.

Old February 5th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #3268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 301 toll road, Delaware

Start of Construction for U.S. Route 301 Mainline Celebrated by Federal, State and Local Officials

Delaware Governor Jack Markell, FHWA Administrator Gregory G. Nadeau, and Transportation Secretary Jennifer Cohan, joined by the Delaware Congressional Delegation, local, and federal officials assembled this morning at the U.S Route 301 Weigh Station for the project's official groundbreaking.

The new U.S. Route 301 Mainline will consist of a new four-lane (two lanes in each direction), all electronic tolled, limited access roadway on a new location, extending generally northeastward from the Maryland/Delaware state line, west of Middletown, and tying into State Route 1, north of the Biddles Corner Toll Plaza, south of the Chesapeake and Delaware (C&D) Canal.

With the anticipation to have the roadway open for traffic by the end of the calendar year 2018, the project's design team has divided the project into seven phases each bided individually, but constructed simultaneously. To-date, four of the bid phases of this $470 million transportation plan have been awarded and construction teams are on-site.
Full press release: http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/....shtml?id=5898

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old February 6th, 2016, 04:22 AM   #3269
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Not that much of a thought really. The current construction closing lanes on Hwy 99 just north of Mercer has already made it an unusable wreck. Everyone is going to have to just deal with I-5.
Would you really want I-5 to be worse than it is now? I'm starting a job in SODO soon and I'm trying hard to find a place to live south of downtown so I can avoid that mess.

Quote:
Honestly, I would just reroute I-5 to bypass the city center entirely. You guys have a ring road. Then I would break the current I-5 path in DT (and urban core) Seattle, turning the current freeway into a pair of N-S approach highways.

When we had to close part of I-95 here for some time it was a traffic nightmare for maybe a few days but then it all disappeared as people figured out other ways to get there.
I-405 is supposed to be a bypass but instead its a suburban commuter highway which doesn't have enough lanes. Then they have the whole express toll lane mess which has made traffic even worse. From my experience its more congested than I-5 usually. There is no real alternative here in Seattle thanks to landscape, poor planning, dense development, and NIMBY's. The only thing they can do is reduce bottlenecks, get rid of left on/off ramps, separate/mange the HOV lanes/merging, and add lanes in the right places. Seattle is unique with its natural and man-made barriers. It makes any sort of improvements expensive or impossible. Philly despite having outdated and inadequate highways is still much better off.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; February 6th, 2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:28 AM   #3270
I-275westcoastfl

EDIT double post

Old February 6th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #3271
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A new website has been launched to provide information about the Loop 335 freeway conversion around Amarillo, Texas.

http://www.theamarilloloop.com/

The plan is to ultimately upgrade all of Loop 335 to a freeway with frontage roads. The freeway will feature four lanes, that will be able to accomodate six lanes if needed. They also plan two 5-level stack interchanges at both intersections with I-40 and a new interchange with I-27.

Texas loves building beltways. I've often wondered when Amarillo would get one.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #3272
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Texas loves building beltways. I've often wondered when Amarillo would get one.
Texas just loves belts in general.
Old February 6th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #3273
Xusein

Quote:
Would you really want I-5 to be worse than it is now? I'm starting a job in SODO soon and I'm trying hard to find a place to live south of downtown so I can avoid that mess.
Not much of a choice really. It will be the only option after the viaduct is closed. The only thing that I would suggest is to see is taking the bus is viable from your workplace.

Maybe park in a P&R and take an express bus if you can.

Coming from the south isn't much better...at least North Seattle has the I-5 express lanes.
Old February 6th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #3274
hammersklavier
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Texas just loves belts in general.
The bigger the better!

Old February 6th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #3275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Talking of Texas beltways...

The SH 99 / Grand Parkway opened to traffic yesterday around the nortwest side of Houston. It runs from US 290 to I-45 (24 miles, 39 km). It is the third beltway of Houston.

All Houston beltways have different names;

* I-610: 'The Loop'
* BW8: 'The Beltway' or 'The Tollway' (Sam Houston Tollway)
* SH 99: 'Grand Parkway'

I wonder if the Grand Parkway isn't underdesigned with only four lanes. Especially on the north side the suburban developments continue for over 20 miles outside of SH 99 already.

Parts of the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) had to be widened within 15 years of opening. Today the majority of the built-up area is outside Beltway 8.
Old February 7th, 2016, 07:22 AM   #3276
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Not much of a choice really. It will be the only option after the viaduct is closed. The only thing that I would suggest is to see is taking the bus is viable from your workplace.

Maybe park in a P&R and take an express bus if you can.

Coming from the south isn't much better...at least North Seattle has the I-5 express lanes.
The bus is slower though... From the south you can take some of the industrial roads depending on where you are going. (it would work for me)
Old February 7th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #3277
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Talking of Texas beltways...

The SH 99 / Grand Parkway opened to traffic yesterday around the nortwest side of Houston. It runs from US 290 to I-45 (24 miles, 39 km). It is the third beltway of Houston.

All Houston beltways have different names;

* I-610: 'The Loop'
* BW8: 'The Beltway' or 'The Tollway' (Sam Houston Tollway)
* SH 99: 'Grand Parkway'

I wonder if the Grand Parkway isn't underdesigned with only four lanes. Especially on the north side the suburban developments continue for over 20 miles outside of SH 99 already.

Parts of the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) had to be widened within 15 years of opening. Today the majority of the built-up area is outside Beltway 8.
Yes it makes you wonder, especially with the scale of construction around the The Woodlands and the Exxon campus directly adjacent to the I-45/GP intersection.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #3278
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Bonner Bridge, North Carolina

Construction on the new $ 246 million Bonner Bridge will likely begin in March. The 2.8 mile bridge across the Oregon Inlet to Hatteras Island opened in 1963 with a projected 30 year lifespan, which it has exceeded by 23 years now. The bridge is prone to severe erosion. It is the only road link towards Hatteras Island, part of the Outer Banks.

This is the existing bridge:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod, EPA001, JMBasquiat liked this post
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #3279
Xusein

Quote:
The bus is slower though... From the south you can take some of the industrial roads depending on where you are going. (it would work for me)
I guess if you are coming from Burien or Tukwila and points south/east via Highway 509/599, but I'm assuming that the entire 99 is going to end up being a parking lot when the viaduct closes (it's already terrible and 90% of the Bertha work hasn't been done yet). Not sure how the bus situation looks in SODO actually, might still be worth taking the car if parking is free.
Old February 8th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #3280
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
I guess if you are coming from Burien or Tukwila and points south/east via Highway 509/599, but I'm assuming that the entire 99 is going to end up being a parking lot when the viaduct closes (it's already terrible and 90% of the Bertha work hasn't been done yet). Not sure how the bus situation looks in SODO actually, might still be worth taking the car if parking is free.
It'll be a nightmare when the viaduct closes... Yes I have free parking at my workplace.

Tags
united states