daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2016, 09:34 PM   #3441
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

US 64, Asheboro, North Carolina

Governor McCrory Celebrates Groundbreaking of U.S. 64 Bypass in Asheboro

Governor Pat McCrory and N.C. Department of Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson joined state and local representatives Thursday afternoon to celebrate the groundbreaking of the U.S. 64 Asheboro Bypass. The bypass will relieve heavy traffic congestion, improve local access and increase safety along the corridor.

The project also includes the 1.8-mile Zoo Connector, which will improve access to the North Carolina Zoological Park and alleviate current congestion issues on N.C. 159 (Zoo Parkway).

The U.S. 64 Asheboro Bypass is a 16.1-mile four-lane highway that will improve traffic flow, reduce congestion, improve safety and enhance high-speed regional travel on the U.S. 64 corridor. The bypass is a controlled-access (no driveways) highway separated by a grassy/landscaped median. Interchanges are included at:

* U.S. 64 on both ends of the project
* N.C. 49
* I-73/74 (U.S. 220 Bypass)
* The Zoo Connector
* N.C. 42

The Zoo Connector is a full-access two-lane roadway that runs directly to the entrance of the North Carolina Zoo and can only be accessed at two break points.

The $244 million design-build contract for the project was awarded in June 2015 to Asheboro Bypass Constructors, a joint venture between Thompson-Arthur Paving and Construction (APAC) and Wright Brothers. RK&K are the lead designers for the joint venture. Construction is scheduled to begin in July 2016 with completion scheduled for late 2019.
Full press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=12695
Project website: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/asheboro/

This is quite a big freeway project. The full cost - including right of way - is estimated at $ 355 million.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2016, 03:46 AM   #3442
Xicano

Likes (Received): 126

What about the 17 in Phoenix I lived off the 17 a few years back loL I hated Phoenix!!
They took out the freeway cams??

Anyways Highhway 99

Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:28 AM   #3443
Xicano

Likes (Received): 126

The GrapeVine Connects Socal to Norcal

wkiehl101 liked this post
Xicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #3444
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sunrise Expressway, Oregon

The 2.5 mile long Sunrise Expressway opened to traffic in Clackamas, Oregon on July 1. It is the first new highway in the Portland area since the 1980s. It's a four-lane expressway, it links OR-212 with I-205.

Sunrise Expressway by Oregon Department of Transportation, on Flickr

Sunrise Expressway by Oregon Department of Transportation, on Flickr
Old July 6th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #3445
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

No median barrier?
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #3446
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Given those curves, they won't be going very fast.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #3447
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ That upper photo was taken using a telephoto lens. A photo show with a telephoto lens exaggerates the sharpness of curves. The curves don't look inordinately sharp given the type of road that it is. I have no idea, but from looking at the photos I'd guess that this road will be posted with a 45 MPH limit.

cuartango liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #3448
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ That upper photo was taken using a telephoto lens. A photo show with a telephoto lens exaggerates the sharpness of curves. The curves don't look inordinately sharp given the type of road that it is. I have no idea, but from looking at the photos I'd guess that this road will be posted with a 45 MPH limit.
I know it was taken with a telephoto-I was going by the number of stripes around the curve.

And 45 mph isn't so high that you absolutely need a barrier. I've been on two-lane suburban roads with nothing other than a double-yellow line and a 50 mph limit.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:59 AM   #3449
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Knowing Pacific Northwest drivers whatever the speed limit is subtract 10mph and that will be the actual speed.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #3450
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

normal, because of all the marijuana

in, say, PL, have only vodka, so drive limit +50 km/h instead

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #3451
JMBasquiat

Likes (Received): 4695

Quote:
Some photos of the Shoreline Highway (CA-1) in northern California:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/CA/1/...pr16_forum.jpg[
Gorgeous road. Would like to take a drive there one day.
JMBasquiat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #3452
sonysnob

On the trip when I took these photos, I drove up from San Francisco all the way to Aberdeen on CA-1 and then US-101. It's a pretty spectacular drive, through California and Oregon. After having done it, I probably wouldn't bother doing US-101 through Washington though. It's not as scenic as its southern counterparts, and it's a slow road.
Old July 10th, 2016, 05:02 AM   #3453
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
On the trip when I took these photos, I drove up from San Francisco all the way to Aberdeen on CA-1 and then US-101. It's a pretty spectacular drive, through California and Oregon. After having done it, I probably wouldn't bother doing US-101 through Washington though. It's not as scenic as its southern counterparts, and it's a slow road.
I agree, US-101 itself is not very scenic in Washington, but it has roads that connect to it that take you to scenic areas.
Old July 10th, 2016, 06:49 AM   #3454
sonysnob

^ I really would have liked to have spent some time exploring the area surrounding the Columbia River in Washington. I have spent some time ogling that section of the state in google maps, and it looks like it'd be an awesome location to do a roatrip through. I had been hoping to get out that way when I did the coast road in April but I just didn't have enough time to see everything that I wanted to.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #3455
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
^ I really would have liked to have spent some time exploring the area surrounding the Columbia River in Washington. I have spent some time ogling that section of the state in google maps, and it looks like it'd be an awesome location to do a roatrip through. I had been hoping to get out that way when I did the coast road in April but I just didn't have enough time to see everything that I wanted to.
There is a lot to see in the Pacific Northwest. I live here and have been so many places but still have a list to go through haha.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #3456
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Zanesville, Ohio

The 'Y Bridge' in Zanesville, Ohio. It crosses the Muskingum River. The current bridge was built in 1984 and is the 5th bridge on this location (others were washed away by floods).

Old July 10th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #3457
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Speaking of the NW, is there any project to build a tunnel linking Seattle with Vashon Island and points east? There is plenty of development potential across the bay but lack of good transportation links is a problem.
Old July 10th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #3458
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 50 vs OH-32

I noticed US 50 across southern Ohio is mainly a two-lane surface road that goes through every town along the route. But a bit farther south, there is OH-32, a nice four-lane divided highway, a much faster route from Cincinnati to Parkersburg.

Why wasn't US 50 shifted to the OH-32 expressway? They only run concurrent on the easternmost leg.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

TM_Germany, Luki_SL liked this post
Old July 10th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #3459
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Why wasn't US 50 shifted to the OH-32 expressway? They only run concurrent on the easternmost leg.
Politics? US50 communities probably still want US50 rather than a state route.

Potential Interstate corridor - is there much point in moving US50 if the long term plan is for OH32 to become part of an interstate (or two)?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #3460
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some more observations about Ohio.

There has never been a US Highway to directly connect Akron with Cleveland, which appears to be a rather uncommon situation in the U.S., for two sizeable, nearby cities not to have a direct link by US Highway. US 21 passed well west of Akron (it is presently OH-21). Especially in the 1920s US Highways tend to ran from downtown to downtown. In fact, there has never been a US Highway through downtown Akron, the east-west US 224 has always ran through the southern portion of the city.

US 40 runs east-west through Ohio and was the most important east-west route in the state before the construction of Interstate Highways. Yet it passes slightly north of Dayton, avoiding the city core (especially when it was first designated and there were few suburbs extending north of Dayton). This has to do with the historic National Road that was built in the 1830s. Instead of going through Dayton, it ran straight from Columbus to Indianapolis. It passes through Vandalia, at the time a small town about 10 miles north of Dayton.

OH-11 is a 100 mile freeway from East Liverpool to Ashtabula. The 'Lake to River Freeway', as it connects Lake Erie with the Ohio River. It appears to be a bit unusual for it not to have an Interstate number. It is definitely long enough for an Interstate number to make sense. It was also built during the Interstate Highway boom in the 1960s, in fact OH-11 was one of the fastest constructed freeways in Ohio, the entire 100 mile highway opened between 1969 and 1972. However, it lacked a few interchanges in Ashtabula County until the late 1970s. Still, you'd think an Interstate number would've been considered, but apparently not.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 10th, 2016 at 08:33 PM.

Tags
united states