daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #3541
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It turns out that SH 99 (Grand Parkway) along the east side of Houston will be built as a super-two toll road initially, instead of a four-lane divided facility. Frontage roads will also be absent most of the time.

Earlier designs did include all 8 direct connectors at the I-10 and I-69 (US 59) interchanges though.
Maybe those interchanges are getting downgraded to a three-level diamond/volleyball-based design? It would be unusual to build a stack with a two-lane going through the middle of it, which is what the Grand Parkway will be at the I-10 interchange by the looks of it.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #3542
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

An aerial photo of the Mountain View Corridor under construction west of Salt Lake City (near 4100 South).

Mountain View Corridor Aerial by Utah Department of Transportation, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #3543
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Broadway Bridge across the Harlem River (US9)

Visit the New Jersey Section

ChuckScraperMiami#1, loloo liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #3544
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post
Maybe those interchanges are getting downgraded to a three-level diamond/volleyball-based design? It would be unusual to build a stack with a two-lane going through the middle of it, which is what the Grand Parkway will be at the I-10 interchange by the looks of it.
Maybe it would be fully built with a wide concrete pad for future lanes that abruptly ends, marked only for the two lanes it will start with.

If there was an assumption that construction costs were going to only increase in the future, or if funding was dependent on construction, then maybe building it all at once would be better?

It can safely assumed the road will be expanded to a full freeway only a few years after completion.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #3545
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SH 31 Corsicana, Texas

SH 31 Relief Route Project Breaks Ground

A groundbreaking ceremony is planned for 4 p.m. Sept. 29, 2016, to celebrate the beginning of a project to build the SH 31 Relief Route on new location from 3.2 miles west of FM 2555 to 3.7 miles east of I-45.

This first phase of the ultimate project will include building a two-lane rural roadway that in the future will be converted into one of the frontage roads for the ultimate four-lane divided roadway. The ultimate project has not been funded but the land for the ultimate project is being acquired in order to preserve the entire corridor for the roadway as traffic warrants the expansion.

The corridor is 14 miles long and 26 bridges will be built including three over rail lines as well as the I-45/SH 31 interchange. The project was bid for $105 million and the contract was awarded to Sundt Construction Inc. in July.

This first phase of the SH 31 Relief Route is expected to be complete in December of 2020.
Full press release: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/me.../107-2016.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 4th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #3546
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22119

Wow ChrisZwolle, This is amazing, should of been built years ago, Just Like Miami's almost a Mile Long Boring Machine Tunnel Completed in 2014 and opend in 2015, the Boring Machine gores one way, and Then it comes back with the other side, back then Was completed in 2014 for Over 600 Million, Today's Constructions Rising Costs, Our Miami - Port of Miami Tunnel, would of cost a billion in todays money costs, it has two two lane Tubes going under the World's Largest Cruise Ships, Carnival's and Royal Caribbean,
Quote:
Dragados awarded $756 million contract for new tube of Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

Construction of the Thimble Shoals parallel tunnel tube is expected to begin in October 2017 and take five years. Dragados will design the mile-long tunnel through next summer.

The project cost is now $808 million for development, design, financing and construction. A $116 million contingency has been set aside on top of that.

The cost and scope of the project had to be scaled down significantly after three initial bids came in at more than $1 billion, hundreds of millions higher than expected.

Several “noncritical elements,” including adding 250 feet to the west end of the man-made riprap island, were eliminated to save nearly $260 million. Engineers found a way to build the second tunnel on the current footprint of the island.
Full report: http://pilotonline.com/news/local/tr...ac43cd1a5.html

This project will construct a second tube at the Thimble Shoals Tunnel, which is a mile long. The other tunnel, the Chesapeake Channel Tunnel, will not yet be expanded.

The tunnel will be constructed with a Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM). Given the lack of surface area of the artificial islands the construction of a pit will probably be complex.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #3547
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ohio State Route 14

A potential bridge collapse may have been averted in Ohio.

On State Route 14 between Streetsboro and Ravenna, a contractor working on an unrelated project noticed a sag in the bridge. They notified ODOT and they found out the steel pylons were twisted. They immediately closed the bridge and concluded that a complete replacement was the only option.

The bridge is only 31 years old and had an inspection in April, where it got a 7 on a 1-9 scale. The twisted pylon went unnoticed because it is normally under the water level. Which raises some concern about the bridge inspection process.

Luckily it's not a major bridge, so the replacement should cost a few million tops. But it is the primary route between Ravenna en Streetsboro (which are located southeast of Cleveland).

Screenshots from: http://fox8.com/2016/10/04/alarming-...n-streetsboro/
Old October 7th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #3548
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 101 Willits, California

The new US 101 Willits Bypass in Mendocino County in Northern California will open to traffic on November 3. It is a 6 mile bypass that includes a 1.1 mile long bridge across a wetland area.

The project is completed a year ahead of schedule, but the bridge was only built with two lanes instead of a full freeway as was originally planned.

https://willitsbypass.wordpress.com/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

jchernin, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 7th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #3549
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

^ the full freeway is still planned, it's "phase 2" of the project

jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #3550
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Ramps leading to the George Washington Bridge

Old October 11th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #3551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

WA-520 Evergreen Point Floating Bridge

An unusual sight, the demolition of the old Evergreen Point Floating Bridge.

Munching away by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr

Luki_SL, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Nexis liked this post
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #3552
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 20, Oregon

U.S. 20 Pioneer Mountain-Eddyville roadway opens

When the overnight closure at the U.S. 20 Pioneer Mountain-Eddyville project ended at 5 a.m. this morning, travelers were directed onto the long-awaited 5.5 mile new alignment. The trip through the Eddyville area now has passing lanes, wide shoulders, and center-line and shoulder rumble strips to help provide a safer journey.

The Pioneer Mountain – Eddyville project broke ground in 2005 as a design build contract with a budget of $140 million. The original design included a series of bridges to provide passage for water and wildlife, span creeks, valleys, and the railroad tracks. Much of the original design had been completed when construction of the three miles in the center of the project proved unfeasible due to ancient landslide activity in the area. The design-build contract was terminated and the project was taken over by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT). ODOT redesigned the central portion as a series of cuts and fills. Rock was cut out of the hills and used to fill valleys, culverts were installed instead of bridges, and a 28-foot diameter wildlife culvert was constructed under the new highway.

Since beginning the project again in 2012, construction remained on time and under the approved final budget of $365 million. The final cost remains to be totaled, as the west end curve tie-in and environmental remediation work will not be completed until 2017.
Full press release: https://content.govdelivery.com/bull...ORDOT_WIDGET_2

A photo gallery: http://kval.com/news/local/gallery/h...budget#photo-1

They even demolished newly built bridges.
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #3553
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 218, Iowa

Highway 218, C-57 interchange near Janesville opens Thursday

The much anticipated interchange of U.S. Highway 218 and Black Hawk County Road C-57 south of Janesville was scheduled to open Thursday, weather permitting, according to the Iowa Department of Transportation’s New Hampton construction office.

Access to U.S 218 from Mount Vernon Road, Bennington Road, and Gresham Road will be permanently closed Thursday night. Work to remove these at-grade intersections will require intermittent nighttime lane closures, intermittent daytime lane closures during off peak hours, and shoulder closures on U.S. 218. Work to close these intersections is expected to be completed by early November, weather permitting.
Full report: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/hig...69c65b48e.html

By removing these 4 intersections, a 6 mile stretch of US 218 is effectively turned into a freeway between Cedar Falls and Janesville. The County Road 57 interchange replaces 4 at-grade intersections.

Old October 14th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #3554
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Manhattan & Brooklyn Bridges over the East River

Old October 15th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #3555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Loop 1, MoPac Expressway, Austin, Texas

The first express lane in Austin, Texas opened to traffic today. It runs along Loop 1 (MoPac Expressway) between RM 2222 and Parmer Lane. Completion has ran a year behind schedule due to the bankruptcy of an earlier contractor.

http://keyetv.com/news/local/future-...-express-lanes

Luki_SL, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 16th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #3556
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
[INDENT]U.S. 20 Pioneer Mountain-Eddyville roadway opens
This was an interesting link. ODOT obviously paid a good photographer to document this project and the associated demolitions. I find it somewhat interesting how transparent the DOT was in this issue. Given that hundreds of millions of dollars were spent on an alignment that didn't actually work, I could see there being a tendency to try and not call a lot of attention to the failed alignment. It's somewhat refreshing Oregon chose the opposite approach.

Kanadzie, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #3557
ChrisZwolle
Road user

GA-540 Fall Line Freeway, Georgia

Another segment of the Fall Line 'Freeway' opened to traffic yesterday in Georgia. It's the Milledgeville bypass.

http://www.unionrecorder.com/news/sp...bbfc14d51.html

It's unclear to me why they call it a 'freeway' since there is only limited grade-separation, much of the route has at-grade intersections similar to many ADHS corridors.

Georgia runs a program that's called the 'Governor’s Road Improvement Program' (GRIP) that aimed to expand thousands of miles of two-lane rural highways to four-lane divided highways. The program included over 3,000 miles of rural highway expansion. Some critics say this money would've been better spent in the Atlanta area. The GRIP started in 1989 and is mostly completed now.

cuartango, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 19th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #3558
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
This was an interesting link. ODOT obviously paid a good photographer to document this project and the associated demolitions. I find it somewhat interesting how transparent the DOT was in this issue. Given that hundreds of millions of dollars were spent on an alignment that didn't actually work, I could see there being a tendency to try and not call a lot of attention to the failed alignment. It's somewhat refreshing Oregon chose the opposite approach.
Imagine a gas plant demolition video
Note the DOT press release didn't have numbers in it though...

Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #3559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SH 199 Fort Worth - Azle, Texas

Groundbreaking ceremony for Texas 199 in Azle

Attendees are celebrating the beginning of a $56 million project that includes construction of three miles of Texas 199 freeway between Western Center Boulevard and Nine Mile Bridge. The improvements include three new lanes in each direction, ramps and bridges at Western Center Boulevard, Hanger Cut-Off and Nine Mile Bridge.

However, the event is mostly being held because Wednesday fits into many dignitaries’ schedules, a Texas Department of Transportation spokesman said. The actual contract for the work is scheduled to be awarded next month, and the construction is expected to begin early next year.
Full report: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/tr...109133122.html

This project will construct the freeway mainlanes at two missing locations, where traffic currently uses the frontage roads.

There is also a website about the congestion relief projects in Texas: http://www.texasclearlanes.com/what-...n-projects.htm

Old October 19th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #3560
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Well, that's something that should have been done a long time ago.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states