daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #3621
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some photos of State Route 125 in suburban San Diego, California:

The whole set, and full size images:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/CA/125/index.html

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2017, 05:18 AM   #3622
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Ah the famous California grooved concrete
Quebec tried it, on part of A-440 but it seems to have not been successful in our climate...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #3623
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Quebec tried it, on part of A-440 but it seems to have not been successful in our climate...
Or because Quebec is broke and can't afford the upkeep

VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #3624
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Quebec grooves its concrete roads similar to this. The concrete section of Autoroute 30 west of A-15 that opened a few years ago is grooved like this, as is as recently reconstructed portion of Autoroute 20 west of Quebec City.

The concrete pavement on Autoroute 40 in Vaudreuil west of Montreal was also recently retextured with longitudinal grooving. In my observations, concrete retexturing has never been as common in Canada as it is in parts of the US.

sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #3625
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

They regrooved large parts of the 407 in Toronto this year too.

Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #3626
sonysnob

^ This is getting off-topic, but the 407 rides a lot better now that it has been re-textured. I have to think the highway generates a lot less noise than it did before as well. It is my thought that noise complaints from the surrounding residents may have been the triggering factor to get the 407 to undertake the work. I am hopeful that more sections of the highway will be textured in the coming years.

Somewhat surprisingly, given how recently the highway was built, the 401 through the Hurontario Street interchange was also textured with longitudinal grooves last year. Unlike the 407 however, they didn't seem to have diamond ground the entire road-surface first before cutting the new grooves into the highway.

Last edited by sonysnob; January 4th, 2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 5th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #3627
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Quebec grooves its concrete roads similar to this. The concrete section of Autoroute 30 west of A-15 that opened a few years ago is grooved like this, as is as recently reconstructed portion of Autoroute 20 west of Quebec City.

The concrete pavement on Autoroute 40 in Vaudreuil west of Montreal was also recently retextured with longitudinal grooving
. In my observations, concrete retexturing has never been as common in Canada as it is in parts of the US.
I want to say that wasn't too recent but it is grooved. I remember 10 years ago thought what a lovely road that was, you would crest over the 540 underpasses going towards Montreal, and with such a wide expansive view of the land (and hiding places) you could kick it up to 160 or 200 km/h and sail nicely to the bridge. (I think it was done before the major reconstruction of A-40 on Montreal from St Charles to Decarie circa 2000, which isn't longitudinally grooved, or rather, not so deeply)

But the past couple of years, goddamn you think it was some road built by slaves under the Nazis and never since maintained (a-la DK 18...) The past few times I have driven that way I'm just swearing...
Mind you they finally finished a complete reconstruction of A-40 Ottawa-bound from St Charles to the bridge on the island, it is wonderful. The other side towards Montreal is like driving on the moon. Reminds me of the guy who hit a pothole on the 40 service road in this area and flipped the car over (!)

Old January 10th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #3628
sonysnob

Video of SR-60 through the Badlands east of Moreno Valley, California
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #3629
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

US 281 Falfurrias, Texas

Border Patrol breaks ground on new Falfurrias checkpoint

U.S. Customs and Border Protection broke ground Wednesday on a $33 million facility that will double the size of the most trafficked inland checkpoint in the United States.

The checkpoint located some 70 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border on U.S. Highway 281, acts as a second border or buffer zone for Border Patrol agents working in the Rio Grande Valley sector, said Chief Deputy Raul Ortiz.

The Falfurrias checkpoint’s current location was established in 1994 and consists of three vehicle lanes, a covered canopy and a 3,000-square-foot administrative building. A rendering of the new facility shows eight lanes, an 8,600-square-foot main building, a 4,000-square-foot storage building and a 2,000-square-foot kennel area.
Full report: http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...6bc382393.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #3630
Kanadzie

fixed internal checkpoint? That's so sad

Old January 14th, 2017, 10:50 AM   #3631
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are actually quite a bit of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...or_checkpoints

The United States Border Patrol operates 71 traffic checkpoints, including 33 permanent traffic checkpoints, near the southern border of the United States.

These checkpoints are located between 25 and 75 miles (40 and 121 km) of the Mexico–United States border along major U.S. highways. Their situation at interior locations allow them to deter illegal activities that may have bypassed official border crossings along the frontier.

Mexico also has inland checkpoints.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #3632
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
[INDENT] Border Patrol breaks ground on new Falfurrias checkpoint

U.S. Customs and Border Protection broke ground Wednesday on a $33 million facility that will double the size of the most trafficked inland checkpoint in the United States.

The checkpoint located some 70 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border on U.S. Highway 281, acts as a second border or buffer zone for Border Patrol agents working in the Rio Grande Valley sector, said Chief Deputy Raul Ortiz.
I wonder if it is I-69C future-proofed.

sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #3633
sonysnob

Another suburban LA Freeway video from last spring. This time it's the 71 and 60 freeways.

Old January 19th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #3634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SH 99 Grand Parkway, Houston, TX

A record of decision (ROD) has been issued for segment B of the Grand Parkway (State Highway 99) around Houston, Texas.

It is a 28.6 mile segment of four lane toll road between SH 288 and I-45 south and southeast of Houston. It partially utilizes the existing SH 35 alignment around Alvin.

The project cost is listed as $ 922 million for the mainline toll road and $ 305 million for stack interchanges at SH 288, SH 35 and I-45 (14 direct connectors, or flyovers).

Old January 20th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #3635
Moth27

Likes (Received): 14

Blue Ridge Road, New York

Some pictures from my recent trip to the Adirondack Mountains:

Old January 21st, 2017, 08:46 PM   #3636
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SR-641 Terre Haute Bypass, Indiana

The remaining segment of the Terre Haute Bypass (Indiana State Road 641) opened to traffic yesterday, completing the 6 mile bypass from US 41 to I-70. It is a freeway-like road.

http://www.tribstar.com/news/local_n...7786f6f67.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old January 23rd, 2017, 09:27 PM   #3637
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NC-12 , Rodanthe, North Carolina

Contract Awarded for Rodanthe Design-Build Bridge Project

The N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a design-build contract to construct a new bridge at Rodanthe. The winning design-build team is Flatiron Constructors, Inc., of Broomfield, Colo., who submitted a bid of $145,336,271.

The 2.4-mile-long bridge, known as a “jug handle”, will extend from the southern end of the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge over the Pamlico Sound into Rodanthe. The new bridge will be a long-term solution to keep N.C. 12 open through an area that is prone to severe storm damage.

Design and permitting is expected to take about one year to complete. Construction will begin afterwards, and could start as early as January 2018. Based on Flatiron’s schedule, the bridge is expected to open to traffic by early summer 2020, approximately a year earlier than the NCDOT’s previously anticipated completion date.
Full press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=13451

Project page: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/NC12Rodanthe/

zaphod, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:57 AM   #3638
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

I like how in the middle of the map, it's labeled "United States of America," because sometimes I get our North Carolina confused with Canada's or or Argentina's North Carolinas.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #3639
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

That is probably due to either federal jurisdiction with regard to the wildlife refuge and national park, or due to international waters.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #3640
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I like how in the middle of the map, it's labeled "United States of America," because sometimes I get our North Carolina confused with Canada's or or Argentina's North Carolinas.
How about Georgia? Or New Mexico?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states