daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM   #3681
bogdymol
bogdymod

Since the latest news have mentioned that the Pacific Highway in California has been closed down for a longer time due to a bridge beeing damaged, I have decided to post my own pictures from that I shot back in October last year while driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco on that coastal road.

First highway 101 between Los Angeles, going through Santa Barbara and Santa Maria:

At San Luis Obispo I left highway 101 and started driving on CA-1:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2017, 07:40 PM   #3682
bogdymol
bogdymod

On the side of the road:

Continuing on CA-1:

The beautiful coastal road starts where the mountains rise directly from the ocean:

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:42 PM   #3683
bogdymol
bogdymod

This is not Bixby bridge, but still good looking:

Spectacular scenery:

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:45 PM   #3684
bogdymol
bogdymod

Finally I have reached Bixby Creek Bridge:

The clouds were very low and moving fast, but I managed to take some decent shots of the bridge in the few seconds when they were not covering the bridge.

Unfortunately I don't have more pictures from Big Sur area north of Bixby bridge as my car broke down immediately after I left Bixby bridge...
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:00 PM   #3685
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Great photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
If I see correctly, the road section closer to the photographer, has 1 lane in each direction, plus hard shoulder on both sides. Why would they do that?
This photo was taken from the SH 130 interchange, evidently the mainline lanes split to SH 130 and SH 71. It seems unusual to have only two through lanes on SH 71, considering it is one of two highways between Austin and Houston. The frontage roads have higher capacity than the mainline, which is unusual.

It doesn't seem to have been built with a future freeway to the east in mind.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:40 PM   #3686
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

There's not enough traffic to justify more. Which just shows how insane this project was to begin with.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:43 PM   #3687
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is incorrect.

The 2015 AADT on the presently built stretch of toll road was between 57,000 and 98,000 vehicles. East of SH 130, it carries 51,000 vehicles per day.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old March 1st, 2017, 08:47 PM   #3688
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Even with 51k AADT, it could be that most of that turns so there's not really enough through the junction to justify more than one lane.

Why not mark two or three lanes anyway? One possibility is to save on construction and/or maintenance costs. Shoulders are often built to a lower level of strength and durability than running lanes, and are not resurfaced with the same regularity.

Another possibility is to facilitate the merge/diverge where there's a high proportion of turning traffic. Here the M3 outside London, UK is marked down to one (rather wide!) running lane westbound, though the carriageway is wide enough for three lanes plus hard shoulder. This is because there are very high turning volumes from the M25, and a more orderly merge can be achieved with a double lane gain. Maybe something similar is happening at SH 71/SH 130.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; March 1st, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 09:05 PM   #3689
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Until now through traffic used the frontage roads (which are two lanes in each direction). Combined, there is sufficient capacity through the 71 / 130 interchange, but it seems weird not to build a standard four lane divided through there, because that's exactly what they did at US 290 (Manor) and US 79 (Hutto).

Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:24 AM   #3690
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Honestly, the connections on both ends of Route 99 are so poor already that I don't think many are going to be motivated to go on I-5 because of the toll. But yes, this project won't fix Seattle's traffic issues, it is a vanity project to open up the waterfront which currently is so ugly due to the viaduct.
Well again there are no exits to downtown which the current viaduct has. The result will be even more cars using I-5 and surrounding roads instead of the tunnel. If you think a toll doesn't change driving habits look at the mess created when the 405 HOT lanes opened.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 10:45 PM   #3691
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Little Rock

A new double-span arch bridge opened to traffic today in Little Rock, Arkansas. It spans the Arkansas River and replaces an older bridge. It is part of Broadway Street / US 67.

Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:48 AM   #3692
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Old U.S. 97 between Grass Valley and Shaniko by Oregon Department of Transportation, on Flickr
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:25 AM   #3693
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

One of my wishes is to drive down 101 down the coast to California. Great photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Well again there are no exits to downtown which the current viaduct has. The result will be even more cars using I-5 and surrounding roads instead of the tunnel. If you think a toll doesn't change driving habits look at the mess created when the 405 HOT lanes opened.
More traffic on surrounding roads, but I don't know about I-5. The viaduct is a poor bypass of it, due to it's lights on both ends. Seattle's traffic situation is already messed up, I don't think the tunnel would make things much worse.

The tunnel was probably the best long term solution for the aging viaduct. It could have been done cheaper though.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:02 AM   #3694
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 794

Hwy 1 is one of the best drives ever. I always wanted to drive Hwy 1 from SF to LA but once I had a few days off I decided to go camp at Death Valley but I choose the long route..I drove Hwy 1 from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo and from there to Death Valley..12 hrs of pure awesomeness! I sacrificed few hours of camping at my destination but at the end was worth it. I would do it all over againg with no regrets

The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #3695
Ryme Intrinseca

I've found quite a strange interchange design, which could be called a 'Kentucky cloverleaf':

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.99.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.89.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.87.../data=!3m1!1e3

I can only think that these were full cloverleafs that have been reduced to four ramp interchanges in bizarre fashion, leaving weaving on the freeway mainline, though why Kentucky would choose to do that, I cannot say.

This hypothesis seems to be supported by the land around the second and third examples. Whatever the case, these interchanges have been as they currently are since at least the 90s according to Google Earth historical imagery.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; March 8th, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #3696
sotonsi

The reason they exist is to have just one toll-plaza serving all the ramps, and the mainline too. They were built like that and the only thing that has been changed is the toll booths are now gone.

Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #3697
Ryme Intrinseca

That makes sense. So is the appearance of a cloverleaf-like shape in the land around the second and third examples an illusion? Or were they originally cloverleafs, then reduced in this fashion to accommodate the toll booths?
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #3698
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think they used to be full cloverleafs, it was built this way so that all movements would pass through the tollbooth underneath the overpass:

Old March 8th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #3699
Ryme Intrinseca

Interesting. So is this just a Kentucky thing?

Old March 8th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #3700
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kentucky built many tolled parkways back in the day. I guess it's possible for other states to have (had) similar toll booths.

Tags
united states