daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #3741
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

That damn highway can't catch a break. The bridge collapse was in February too I'm pretty sure.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #3742
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Driving up CA-1 and the 101 from around Orange County up to at least Seattle is definitely near the top of my bucket list. I just hope it's still standing by the time I get to do it!

jchernin liked this post
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 10:43 PM   #3743
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

St. Croix Crossing

The St. Croix Crossing in Minnesota / Wisconsin.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #3744
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Hwy 91 in Anaheim, California:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/CA/91...pr17_24x16.jpg

Luki_SL, Highway89, jchernin, Orion602, loloo liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #3745
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Cool pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Hwy 91 in Anaheim, California:

Those bullet holes remind me of

2:40 in

My Simcity Stuff

AsHalt, ryaboisse, koko_vp liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #3746
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ Top Gear at its very finest.

AsHalt liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #3747
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Texas Loop 9

TxDOT release the draft environmental impact statement for a 10 mile section of Loop 9 south of Dallas, between I-35E and I-45. Loop 9 has been planned since the late 1950s as an outer loop for Dallas.

As currently proposed, the project would consist of a single two-lane, two-way frontage road within the ultimate proposed right of way (ROW) footprint for the project (Phase 1).

The proposed ROW would include a median (200 to 364 feet wide) that would accommodate the future construction of an ultimate access-controlled mainline facility. As traffic warrants and funding becomes available, Phase 2 of the proposed project would involve the construction of the second two-lane frontage road and the conversion of the two-way frontage road built in Phase 1 to a one-way operation. As traffic warrants and funding becomes available, Phase 3 would involve the construction of a third frontage road lane in each direction and include the construction of grade separations at specific high-volume intersections. Phase 4 would involve the construction of the ultimate access-controlled mainlane facility in both directions. Construction of the ultimate access-controlled mainlane facility would be based on projected traffic and funding and would require additional environmental analysis prior to construction.
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/ge...as/062017.html
Old June 27th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #3748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 98 Pensacola Bay Bridge, Florida

Gov. Scott Kicks Off Largest Transportation Infrastructure Project in Northwest Florida History

Today, Governor Rick Scott celebrated the kick off of construction for the new Pensacola Bay Bridge, the largest transportation infrastructure project in Northwest Florida history. The State of Florida is investing $398.5 million in the new bridge. The new bridge is expected to be completed in 2019 and will temporarily transition four lanes of traffic onto the structure. This will allow for demolition of the existing bridge and completion of the second and final bridge in 2020.

The new bridge will consist of two parallel structures, each with three 12-foot travel lanes, two 10-foot shoulders, and a 10-foot multi-use path for pedestrians, joggers, and bicyclists.
Full press release: http://www.flgov.com/2017/06/26/gov-...orida-history/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod liked this post
Old July 4th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #3749
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

A Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) will open to traffic at US 52 and Research Parkway in Winston-Salem, North Carolina on July 12.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...2018290e9.html
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #3750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 59, Texas

A derailed train has damaged the bridge of US 59 across the tracks in Jefferson, Texas.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cuartango liked this post
Old July 9th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #3751
Sic'EmBears

Likes (Received): 2468

DFW Connector's final interchange plan for the divergence of SH 114 and SH 121 at International Pkwy's northern terminus.

Bender, Luki_SL, cuartango, fredcalif, zaphod and 2 others liked this post
Sic'EmBears no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #3752
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 321 Lenoir City, Tennessee

Officials open new US 321 bridge at Fort Loudoun Dam

Workers on Tuesday shifted traffic from the U.S. Highway 321 bridge atop Fort Loudoun Dam onto a new, four-lane bridge 2,000 feet downstream, marking a milestone in a $71 million project delayed for two years.

The move straightens a long winding curve in Highway 321 approaching the dam and forever closes the J. Carmichael Greer Bridge that since 1963 carried traffic over the dam.
Full report: http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/t...dam/469485001/

g.spinoza liked this post
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:38 AM   #3753
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

The route for the US 301 expressway in Delaware, connecting the semi-limited-access US 301 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland to DE 1, can now be seen from Google satellite imagery. Some future interchanges are clearly visible, and I think I can tell where the toll booths will be also.

This limited-access expressway is designed to complete the link to provide an alternate route for trucks around much of I-95 in Maryland. Vehicles could take I-595/US 50 from the Capital Beltway to Annapolis, continue over the Bay Bridge, and then take US 301 up the Eastern Shore into Delaware, then link up onto DE 1 and get on I-95 west of Newport, DE.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4901...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Penn's Woods liked this post
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 05:02 AM   #3754
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I already do that sometimes. Yeah, Middletown's a pain, but at least there's a Wawa....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #3755
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SH 121, Texas

TxDOT released the draft EIS for the four lane expansion of State Highway 121 in Collin County, north of Dallas. It is a 10 mile expansion project to the Fannin County line. This area is currently still outside the urbanized area of Dallas, though nearby Melissa has become a distant suburb. Melissa grew from 1,350 people in 2000 to 8,423 in 2016, so it's growing, as Melissa is only 5 miles north of McKinney, one of the major Dallas suburbs.

Google Earth shows that SH 121 is currently being expanded in the Melissa area, from US 75 to the Collin County Outer Loop. The draft EIS applies to the section of SH 121 beyond that, to the Fannin County line. It seems that the southern leg of SH 121 in Melissa is planned as an urban arterial while the to-be-upgraded section north of the Outer Loop has a wider footprint, most notably a 40 foot wide median.

The four lane expansion is mostly a standard four lane divided with property access. Two interchanges are planned at FM 455 and FM 2862. Discontinuous frontage roads are planned. It appears that it can be upgraded to a freeway at a later time, but not as easily as building frontage roads first and building the main lanes later. It will likely be similar to US 69 southwest of Houston which is currently being upgraded to a freeway by adding frontage roads and overpasses.

FM 455 interchange:

FM 2862 interchange:

EasySeven, Luki_SL liked this post
Old July 15th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #3756
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-70 / US 40 Ohio

I-70 and US 40 near Gratiot, Ohio. Divided vs undivided. According to state highway maps, US 40 was already four-laned by the late 1940s. In 1959 the first section of I-70 in all of Ohio opened to traffic right at this location. Two generations of highway, but built only some 10 years apart.

Old July 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #3757
ChrisZwolle
Road user

SH 99 Grand Parkway, Houston, TX

Granite Awarded $855 Million Joint Venture Design-Build Highway Project in Texas

Granite Construction Incorporated announced today that Grand Parkway Infrastructure, LLC comprised of Granite Construction Company, Ferrovial Agroman US Corp. and Webber, LLC has been awarded the SH-99 Grand Parkway Design-Build Contract for Segments H, I-1, and I-2 by the Texas Department of Transportation.

Scope of the contract includes the construction of 52.5 miles of highway through Chambers, Harris, Liberty and Montgomery counties. The team is responsible for the construction of 37.5 miles of a tolled two-lane controlled access facility with intermittent four lane sections, new toll lanes and tolling equipment. There are also 74 new bridges along the length of the project and more than 10 million yards of earthwork to be moved.

Work is scheduled to begin in July 2017 and conclude in spring 2022.
Full press release: https://investor.graniteconstruction...2017-133312755

This is the largest contract for the Grand Parkway around Houston so far, it includes the entire eastern segment from I-69 to I-10.

As noted in the press release, it will not be a true freeway but a super two with intermitted sections with four lanes. This area around Houston is not yet very developed and traffic volumes will be low in the first years.

I haven't seen any recent traffic data from the west side of Houston, which opened in 2013, but Google Earth imagery shows explosive development in the area around SH 99. I've read some comments that it has been undersized with only four lanes.

zaphod, cuartango liked this post
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #3758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NC-12 Bonner Bridge

The progress on the Bonner Bridge replacement project in North Carolina (NC-12).

DJaCoNdA, 8166UY, cuartango, loloo liked this post
Old July 21st, 2017, 04:39 AM   #3759
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The progress on the Bonner Bridge replacement project in North Carolina (NC-12).
*giggles like little girl

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #3760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

St. Croix Crossing

IMG_0740 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_0739 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Tags