daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #361
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

It is indeed a WA-520. It does run south for a short stretch, and it would be possible to see a Mt. Rainier on a clear day around the NE 40th St exit. As for myself, I could never manage to see Mt. Rainier even from I-5, only from the Space Needle or Columbia Centre.

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #362
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
It is indeed a WA-520. It does run south for a short stretch, and it would be possible to see a Mt. Rainier on a clear day around the NE 40th St exit. As for myself, I could never manage to see Mt. Rainier even from I-5, only from the Space Needle or Columbia Centre.
Yes, you're right. Fuzzy thinking on my part. 520 runs south just north of Bellevue for a couple of miles. Although I do not recall seeing Mt. Rainier from there!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #363
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

As you mentioned, it must be some kind of a bad-ass telephoto lens (500 mm, maybe?) In real life, no one can ever see Mt. Rainier anywhere from Seattle on this huge scale. By the way, blurry foreground, which is already quite far from the photographer, indicates a very shallow depth of field, so the lens must have a huge focal length.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #364
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Heres some Pictures i took on Saturday on some North Jersey Roads

New Jersey Route 17

John Flint heres the problem i see with ur widing plan on the Maywood/Rochell Park part of the highway theres no room for any widing what so ever , stores on either side just barley enough room for a small sized shoulder!

New Essex street Interchange

Under I-80

Approaching US 46 Interchange on Route 17 SB

actually if you look closely at your own photograph you will see a pretty wide shoulder and another 6-7 feet of grass on either side of your pictures. provided the exits from those businesses will be at the back and into the local streets (like they did on Essex street while widening it up) the problem will be solved. maybe one or two will be relocated. so it is not as bad as you may thing - it has enough room for widening the road.
I spoke to a guy who was building Essex street bridge and he told me that the biggest problem for them are rebuilding the bridges on route 17. they are in a VERY bad shape and can literally collapse any minute - especially the rail road crossing one by South city grill restaurant.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #365
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Navesink Bay Bridge

yesterday I traveled to Sandy Hook, NJ and was able to take some pictures of the new bridge construction there. RT36 will be on that bridge once it is finished in 2011. Unfortunately it was very thick fog and pictures are not as clear as I would like them to be.

old bridge is in the foreground. it is a 72 years draw bridge structure. the new one will be much higher and will not require draw section.

now from the other side

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by JohnFlint1985; May 24th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #366
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Is that the Intracoastal waterway? Nice pictures by the way.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #367
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is that the Intracoastal waterway? Nice pictures by the way.
it is one of the internal highways / roads in New Jersey. it basically crosses the bay on the NJ shore. sort of like Miami and Miami beach on the another side but on smaller scale.

p.s. this is just a bay and it is not Intracoastal waterway. this is where everyone has it own yachts and ships. though on the open side there is a big NAVY base where I cannot come and take pictures obviously. But there is also a fort from WWII and earlier times as well. I can post pictures of it too.

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #368
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Here are some pictures of VA 267(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-267) I found from the web(mostly from Flickr):
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #369
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17038

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
yesterday I traveled to Sandy Hook, NJ and was able to take some pictures of the new bridge construction there. RT36 will be on that bridge once it is finished in 2011. Unfortunately it was very thick fog and pictures are not as clear as I would like them to be.

old bridge is in the foreground. it is a 72 years draw bridge structure. the new one will be much higher and will not require draw section.

now from the other side

waste of money , we should spend tax payer dollars on bridges that are worse then that one , like the Narrow Long Beach Island Causeway Bridge, its over due for a replacement , and dangerous......tisk tisk tisk....stupid Governor ,i'm not voting for him in the next election....he approves everything without double checking
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #370
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New York City Beltway.

160 miles or 260 km.
[IMG]http://i44.************/34nk2tf.png[/IMG]
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #371
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

It's only a theoretical beltway though. I mean, too much TOTSO there.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #372
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
waste of money , we should spend tax payer dollars on bridges that are worse then that one , like the Narrow Long Beach Island Causeway Bridge, its over due for a replacement , and dangerous......tisk tisk tisk....stupid Governor ,i'm not voting for him in the next election....he approves everything without double checking
Actually it was long planned work. This bridge broke down last year and coastal guard ship could not get out of the bay for 3 days on the row. also one of the "legs" of the bridge was damaged by hurricane 8 years ago and is not entirely stable anymore. finally traffic is 8 times higher since 72 years ago. this area on the beach is quickly becoming prime time area for tourists. all these ice cream and night club places are as busy as they can get crisis or not. so traffic jams are horrible at night.

some more pictures that I made without fog the next day. Old bridge will be demolished once the right side of the new bridge will be ready. and then the other part will be constructed. also a new ramp to the bridge will be built since it is so much higher then the old one. due to constant high humidity from the ocean the ramp must be very gradual otherwise during the winter it will be pure "ice skating on the car"

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old May 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #373
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
New York City Beltway.

160 miles or 260 km.
[IMG]http://i44.************/34nk2tf.png[/IMG]
Hehe. For the sake of consistency, the Belt Parkway and Throggsneck bridge would have made more sense than the BQE.

In reality, if I were passing through, I think I would take my chances at the GW bridge and NJ Turnpike (but I'd avoid the Cross Bronx). I-287 and the Tappan Zee is a huge detour and going through Brooklyn and Staten Island during rush hour isn't going to be much better either. But it's nice to have alternatives.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #374
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I heard this is the best route through NYC
[img]http://i40.************/33jh98p.png[/img]
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #375
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

That's the one I meant, except I would have taken the Henry Hudson Pkwy up to the cross county, instead of I-87.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #376
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

You don't wanna take G. Washington Bridge eastbound. There are terrible delays at virtually every hour of the day. I once witnessed a 10-km-or-so-long afternoon stationary traffic on I-95 leading onto the bridge.

Luckily I was travelling westbound at that time.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #377
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's not like you have much choice. The Tappan Zee is a huge detour, and adds miles significantly. The Lincoln and Holland tunnels are only interesting if your destination is Manhattan, and the Verrazano isn't much better either.
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #378
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Depending on traffic you might try Lincoln Tunnel --> Henry Hudson Pkwy. The parkway is a pretty fast and enjoyable drive. However, major problem is the tunnel, which is 2-laned only and delays are common, not as bad as Washington though. This way or that, you're still going to get stuck.
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #379
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

I have driven through NYC twice, once via the George Washington Bridge and once via the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. The GWB was hell (I was going westbound shortly after midday on a Saturday), but the Verrazano was decent (I was going northbound early on Saturday morning and, aside from a lane closure on the Gowanus Expressway, didn't really encounter serious congestion until I hit the New England Thruway). I think my biggest mistake on that trip was letting myself get snookered into using the Triborough Bridge.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #380
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17038

Quote:
I heard this is the best route through NYC
[img]http://i40.************/33jh98p.png[/img]
Who told you that ?, that's the worst way through NYC if your just heading South.

I-95 to I-287 west to Palisades Parkway South to I-95 South , that's quicker less traffic and better Scenery , less mileage
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states