daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #401
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 3600

awesome
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #402
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The toll gates are very nice Texas-style designed
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM   #403
Tom985

Likes (Received): 0

Nice feature, elmwood. Thanks!

Looks pretty deserted...

And, what's with the exit numbers? 400+ miles from what? Also, I wonder why not all of the exits are numbered and why some say "1 MILE" and others "EXIT 1 MILE." Is there a pattern I'm not seeing?

I'm glad Texas is putting some aesthetic touches on its new highways-- my state of Georgia is going in the opposite direction. But I'm not fond of those Texas stars. They look tacky to me.
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:03 AM   #404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom985 View Post
Nice feature, elmwood. Thanks!

Looks pretty deserted...
I saw another Austin toll road video the other day and there was virtually nobody on the road... I wonder if these tollroads are really the right decision, they're nice for those who do use them, but it's a waste of money to build an expensive road for a few people.

Quote:
And, what's with the exit numbers? 400+ miles from what?
Good question, I couldn't find an answer on wikipedia, only that SH-45 and SH-130 run concurrent. But neither is that long.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 21st, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM   #405
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

SH 130 is intended as a bypass for trucks going to and from the border around the Austin and San Antonio areas. It's currently incomplete, only passing just south of SH 71. Likewise, much of the intended development hasn't arisen yet - compare to E-470's early days in Denver, Colorado.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM   #406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E-470 recently converted to electronic tolling-only this month by the way. There are no cash toll booths anymore, people without a transponder will be billed by license plate recognition.
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM   #407
elmwood
Go drink a six-pack!

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I'm glad Texas is putting some aesthetic touches on its new highways-- my state of Georgia is going in the opposite direction. But I'm not fond of those Texas stars. They look tacky to me.
Another feature that is very un-Texan: an almost complete lack of billboards and high-rise signs. A couple slipped in around Pflugerville when the road first opened, and the response was to ban them along the entire corridor. Really, except for portions of I-35, most limited access highways around Austin -- Mopac and the toll roads -- are quite free of "litter on a stick" visual pollution.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #408
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Also, I wonder why not all of the exits are numbered and why some say "1 MILE" and others "EXIT 1 MILE." Is there a pattern I'm not seeing?
In past editions the MUTCD required exit numbering only for Interstates. This has since been changed and the MUTCD now requires exit numbering for non-Interstate freeways as well, but states have time to comply with this new requirement and a number have been dragging their feet. Texas provides exit numbering for some, but not all, of its non-Interstate freeways.

The MUTCD has long had a rule that an advance guide sign for a freeway exit must have the word "EXIT" on the sign. The intent behind this requirement is to make sure motorists understand the distance quoted on the sign is to the exit, not necessarily to the destinations which appear on the advance guide and exit direction signs.

If exit numbering is used on the freeway and advance guide signs therefore have exit tabs, the word "EXIT" in the tab satisfies this requirement, and thus it is enough just to use the distance expression ("1 MILE," etc.). But if exit numbering is not used, advance guide signs won't have exit tabs, and therefore "EXIT" must be used on the main sign panel. This is typically done by appending "EXIT" to the distance expression (e.g., "EXIT 1 MILE").

Some states do use "EXIT" both on the tab and the main sign panel, but this is an unnecessary redundancy and so isn't seen too often.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:57 AM   #409
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Update from Navesink Bay Bridge, NJ July 18, 2009

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

until the bridge is finished this is what we are subjected every time - two hours exiting from Sandy Hook

image hosted on flickr

the rest of pictures are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leeloo2...7621767961520/

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by JohnFlint1985; July 22nd, 2009 at 01:49 AM.
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:19 AM   #410
Tom985

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
Some states do use "EXIT" both on the tab and the main sign panel, but this is an unnecessary redundancy and so isn't seen too often.
Georgia is one of those states. We used to do it the correct way, then we changed. At lane drop exits one sign can contain the word "exit" THREE times. It's so embarrassing.

Plus, Interstate exits are numbered by milepost but non-Interstates are sequential because our non-Interstates are mileposted by county. Annoyingly, our Interstates also bear 400-series numbers, so you'd think that all 400-series highways could be mileposted across county lines, thereby allowing GA 400 and GA 410/US 78 to have milepost-based exit numbering. But no-o-o-o-o...

"unnecessary redundancy." I'm not even gonna say it.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM   #411
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

ahem nice pictures john, there working fast, but they should have done this before the Jersey Shore Season.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM   #412
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
ahem nice pictures john, there working fast, but they should have done this before the Jersey Shore Season.
I know, but this sio just simply not possible. The plan is to:

1. destroy 2 lanes out of 4 of the old draw bridge and build a new 25 ft (8m) higher replacement.

2 allow the traffic to go on the2 lanes of the new bridge

3 destroy the remaining two lanes of the old bridge and build another replacement

4 allow traffic on both sides of the new bridge.

as far as I understand the first two lanes on the new replacement bridge are at least 5-6 months from completion. the whole bridge should be done by 2011, so I guess the next season will be as bad in term of traffic. 2 lanes + draw bridge are simply not enough for thousands of cars that go to NJ shore on the weekend.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM   #413
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Quote:
Georgia is one of those states. We used to do it the correct way, then we changed. At lane drop exits one sign can contain the word "exit" THREE times. It's so embarrassing.
Georgia is also pretty unusual in using mixed-case Series D (at 20" uppercase/15" lowercase loop height) for overhead guide signs, instead of Series E Modified (16" uppercase/12" lowercase loop height). My theory is that GDOT chose this approach as an inexpensive way of improving legibility at the same time it converted from button copy to retroreflective sheeting for freeway guide signs. (Old GDOT button-copy signs did use Series E Modified.)

This conversion began soon after publication of a report (in the early to mid-1990's) suggesting that the standard type sizes on freeway guide signs would need to be revised upward, from 16" UC/12" LC for major signs to 20" UC/15" LC, to accommodate the increasing population of older drivers with diminished visual acuity. 20" UC/15" LC on overhead guide signs doesn't really work with Series E Modified because then the legends become too wide to fit over the lanes. Series D is thinner, so it fits better, but it also has worse legibility per unit of letter height. GDOT is therefore proceeding on the basis that the reduced legibility does not completely offset the benefits of the 25% increase in letter height.

At the time Georgia started doing this, the MUTCD did not allow it; freeway guide signs had to use Series E Modified for mixed-case legend. Now the MUTCD allows any mixed-case alphabet which has been approved by FHWA. This change occurred in the 2002 edition of the MUTCD. When it was first proposed, I wrote a letter to FHWA opposing the change, saying that it was not possible for motorists to have a certain minimum guarantee of sign legibility unless the letter height specifications were matched with alphabet specifications. In the final rule notice which accompanied the 2002 MUTCD, FHWA referred specifically to my comment (not by name though--more like "A private citizen opposed this change") but noted that the change was going forward as proposed because it believed that transportation agencies could be trusted to exercise engineering judgment in choosing appropriate combinations of alphabet series and letter height.

Quote:
Plus, Interstate exits are numbered by milepost but non-Interstates are sequential because our non-Interstates are mileposted by county. Annoyingly, our Interstates also bear 400-series numbers, so you'd think that all 400-series highways could be mileposted across county lines, thereby allowing GA 400 and GA 410/US 78 to have milepost-based exit numbering. But no-o-o-o-o...
My understanding is that originally the Interstates in Georgia also used sequential exit numbering. I am not sure why GDOT chose to convert the Interstates to mileage-based numbering but to keep sequential numbering for the non-Interstate freeways. I think they could have been hedging against future extensions, since it is easier to slip in new sequential numbers with letter suffixes than it is to resurvey an existing freeway and to change mileage-based numbers to reflect the new length. The Interstate network in Georgia is complete and unlikely to be extended to any significant degree, but there is always the possibility of new freeway construction on non-Interstates (not that Georgia has the money--I understand the current DOT secretary has been going through the long-range program, identifying current projects which are unlikely to get construction money in the next 20 years, and terminating them).

I have also been told that enough of the Interstates in Georgia had been built by the time exit numbering was introduced to allow them to be numbered by mileage from the very start, but this was not chosen because GDOT at the time wanted to obscure the length of certain Interstates in Georgia. I have no proof for this claim, however.

Last edited by J N Winkler; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:30 AM.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM   #414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
My understanding is that originally the Interstates in Georgia also used sequential exit numbering.
Yeah, until the early 2000's. Georgia is one of the most recent states to switch to mileage-based exit numbering.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM   #415
architect77

In 1990 when Atlanta put the finishing touches on its fabulous new gargantuan system of interstates, it was absolute and pure perfection. Shiny white concrete framed the continuous five lanes which were wide and luxurious. The cobra head lighting, perfectly spaced, stretched infinitely into the night over gently rolling terrain. Metro Atlanta's population was then around 2.5 million and traffic moved at very high speeds all the time. The exit and merge ramps were soooo long and usually doubled to two lanes for high speeds , they were brightly lit, and Atlanta kept them spotless. No litter whatsoever.

Then with the Olympics looming, changes were implemented and it all went down hill. They added a sixth HOV lane, and the 5 wide lanes were no more. The increased stress from navigating 6 skinny lanes at high speeds marked the end of the ultimate freeway experience.

Then came the new signage with the skinny font. Though it makes sense due to some lengthy road names (often two areas the road connects "Chamblee-Tucker Rd"), I just hate....hate....hate.... that skinny font. I love the big fat lettering used in NC and NJ.

I do like however how Georgia tries to keep the overheads small and used sparingly.

Back in the 1990's the cantilevered "Jimmy Carter Blvd" overhead fell and killed someone on I-85. Since then Georgia has been erecting these strange elevated pedestals on the side of the road. It's almost as if they're scared to cantilever over the road now...
architect77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:30 AM   #416
Tom985

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Then came the new signage with the skinny font. Though it makes sense due to some lengthy road names (often two areas the road connects "Chamblee-Tucker Rd"), I just hate....hate....hate.... that skinny font. I love the big fat lettering used in NC and NJ.
I feel ya, man. Georgia's font looks like the credits from a bad '60's SF film. I'd really hoped that Georgia would start on Clearview with the 85/316 project, but, alas, no. We'll prolly start in ten years or so (BTW, I saw a Clearview sign on Green 85 in Spartanburg, SC last weekend).

Quote:
Back in the 1990's the cantilevered "Jimmy Carter Blvd" overhead fell and killed someone on I-85. Since then Georgia has been erecting these strange elevated pedestals on the side of the road. It's almost as if they're scared to cantilever over the road now...
Actually, it's exactly as if they're afraid to cantilever over the road now. Since that event, Georgia has quietly replaced most of its former cantilevered sign supports with either the single post style you describe or full-width sign bridges often carrying only one small sign. The only place I know of where cantilevered sign supports still reign supreme is on I-75 between Cordele and Macon.

pssst...I :wub: NC highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler
My understanding is that originally the Interstates in Georgia also used sequential exit numbering...
IIRC (and I was born in 1958), Georgia started making provision for exit numbering in 1965-66 or so, at the same time that revisions to
W-beam guardrail practice, taper-style ramp terminals, and revisions to standard bridge details were adopted. The exit-number-ready signs appeared first on new highways, then were retrofitted on older ones at the same time that guardrail upgrades were done, so Georgia's Interstates were prolly 100% exit-number-ready by 1970 if not sooner. BUT...

...exit numbers weren't actually installed until much later-- maybe the late '70's- early '80's (I welcome clarification on this). What's more, Georgia proceeded with sequential numbering AFTER SC, NC, Tennessee and Alabama had already installed milepost-based numbering! By then all the mainline Interstates had long been completed, so allowing for different routings wouldn't have been a factor.

Last edited by Tom985; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added reply to J N Winkler
Tom985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:47 AM   #417
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

AFAIK, in Virginia only interstates have exit numbers - the only non-interstate that might have numbered exits is the grade-separated section of rt.29 north of Lynchburg, or perhaps the new highways in the Blacksburg-Christiansburg area - the rest of non-Interstate routes tend to switch too often between grade-separation and at-grade intersections for exit numbers to be practical... Plus, i don't think ANY highways except interstates even have mileage numbers (Interstate exits are numbered by mile - so, for example, one exit is 118 A-B-C, and the next is 138 i think. I don't know if other states number them that way...)
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #418
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Here's Some Google Street View's in HD i found in Long Beach ,California
Terminal Island Freeway CA 47 / 103

Gerald Desmond Bridge I-710 & Port of Long Beach

West Ocean Boulevard , Long Beach
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #419