daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #421
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

They work quickly in Texas.

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #422
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
SH 130 is intended as a bypass for trucks going to and from the border around the Austin and San Antonio areas. It's currently incomplete, only passing just south of SH 71. Likewise, much of the intended development hasn't arisen yet - compare to E-470's early days in Denver, Colorado.
So SH 130 hasn't been extended to re-connect with I-35 south of Austin yet? The most recent road atlases show it as forming a complete bypass of I-35.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #423
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
They work quickly in Texas.
I agree it would take 10 years and twice the cost here in Florida.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #424
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
So SH 130 hasn't been extended to re-connect with I-35 south of Austin yet? The most recent road atlases show it as forming a complete bypass of I-35.
It has been extended via Texas 45 in the southeast. It doesn't show up on Google maps yet. It closely parallels F.M. 1327 from US 183 to Interstate 35.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #425
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I doubt if those toll roads around Austin will really relieve I-35 through the city. Now Austin got a lot of freeway-standard roads, but most of them will be underused. People only take toll roads if there is no alternative (like in New York).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #426
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
It has been extended via Texas 45 in the southeast. It doesn't show up on Google maps yet. It closely parallels F.M. 1327 from US 183 to Interstate 35.
Right, and SH 130 will continue onto Seguin in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I doubt if those toll roads around Austin will really relieve I-35 through the city. Now Austin got a lot of freeway-standard roads, but most of them will be underused. People only take toll roads if there is no alternative (like in New York).
Just like any other highway in Texas, reliever routes are at best a secondary concern for the construction of these freeways. It's essentially a big land-development project/boondoggle. Building codes/local opposition precludes much development in West Austin, and the north has built too far out much too quickly. Thus, the emphasis on stretching roads in relatively sparsely populated areas to the east and south.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #427
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Study area for an outer loop of New Braunfels, Texas (between San Antonio and Austin)
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #428
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

I think that its too close to San Antonio and too small to have its own loop. I think that the North Loop in SA should wrap around New Braunfels like how I-820,635,& 20 do Dallas and Ft. Worth.
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #429
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New Braunfels is growing pretty fast:

"The city's population was 36,494 as of the 2000 census, and estimated at 51,804 in 2007."

I doubt if this loop will be a freeway-grade road though. I think something like they have around Conroe, TX
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #430
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
New Braunfels is growing pretty fast:

"The city's population was 36,494 as of the 2000 census, and estimated at 51,804 in 2007."

I doubt if this loop will be a freeway-grade road though. I think something like they have around Conroe, TX
My guess is that consistent with normal TxDOT practice, they will build it as a surface four-lane road with a VERY WIIIIIDE median and add the freeway in the middle a short segment at a time as traffic warrants and finances allow.

I would also expect provisions to be included that will allow for easy connections with other future such roadways as the greater San Antonio area continues to grow in that direction.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #431
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
My guess is that consistent with normal TxDOT practice, they will build it as a surface four-lane road with a VERY WIIIIIDE median and add the freeway in the middle a short segment at a time as traffic warrants and finances allow.

I would also expect provisions to be included that will allow for easy connections with other future such roadways as the greater San Antonio area continues to grow in that direction.

Mike
Most likely. At the same time, expect section B to either never be completed, or undergo some drastic aesthetic improvements before being constructed - that section cross the Guadalupe River valley, a major source of tourism and one of the more scenic parts of the Hill Country. There would be much opposition to any bridge that impacted the valley - it would likely have to be some sort of signature bridge (cable-stayed, arch truss) to overcome public reservations.
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #432
pedro_auriazul
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Im mad because the landscape that you can see in the us highways is great, but i do not know why street view have a very bad quality in the pictures, compared with europe
pedro_auriazul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #433
ADCS
Kickin' it

What part of the country are you looking at? It varies wildly from region to region.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:15 AM   #434
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

New section of non-interstate freeway to open 2009-08-22

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2009/07...nscopening.htm

This is a section of the under-development North-South corridor on the north side of Spokane, WA. It is opening as a 'Super Two' freeway on the northbound side of the ultimate six-lane freeway, which will run from I-90 on the city's east side to US 395 at the city's north edge and will likely become US 395 when the entire freeway is complete.

Mike
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM   #435
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

New section of non-interstate tollway opens

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...omments_anchor

This is an 8 km section of TX 161 between TX 183 and I-30 just southeast of DFW airport in Grand Prairie and Irving, TX (part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex). It opened earlier today (Sunday, 2009-08-02).

Also see:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....9a83396e.html

Mike
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #436
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

US 41 Oshkosh-Neenah, WI update

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...908110478/1979

"Seven-year expansion project rolls down U.S. 41 in Winnebago County from Neenah to south of Oshkosh
Peripheral work on highway overhaul begins at Oshkosh

Gannett Wisconsin Media - August 11, 2009

OSHKOSH - Motorists will be seeing a lot of orange construction barrels popping up for the U.S. 41 project in Winnebago County.

The barrels will be around the next seven years for the $350 million reconstruction and widening of 41 in the county from Neenah to south of Oshkosh.

This week, orange barrels will greet motorists for the reconstruction of the U.S. 45 and Fernau Avenue intersection, said Brett Wallace, U.S. 41 corridor projects group manager for the state Department of Transportation in Green Bay."

(see link for rest of article)

This is going to be a very interesting project to follow. $350M? Yowsah!

Plus sixteen roundabouts will be added at the interchanges.

Mike
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #437
I-275westcoastfl

Here is a video of me driving on several local "highways" eventually reaching the Interstate. I made the video on a Sunday so traffic was light and I think its a great video. The video has no sound since youtube sucks with the copyright stuff, I did add a song from one of those Audioswap things but it's taking forever to upload, either way enjoy!

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #438
I-275westcoastfl

Here is another one from US Highway 19 in Clearwater, Florida

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #439
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice videos

I can't see how this situation (6 - 8 lane boulevards with a median) are better than a freeway. These roads are so wide that a freeway wouldn't be wider. The fuel economy on such stop-and-go roads is very low compared to a freeflowing freeway.

Are there lots of Michigan lefts on this kind of roads?
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #440
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Nice videos

I can't see how this situation (6 - 8 lane boulevards with a median) are better than a freeway. These roads are so wide that a freeway wouldn't be wider. The fuel economy on such stop-and-go roads is very low compared to a freeflowing freeway.

Are there lots of Michigan lefts on this kind of roads?
A 6-8 lane artery road isn't better than a freeway but it is much cheaper I guess. The thing about US19 is it is the only North-South Highway for the coasts along Mid Pinellas County all the way up to the Panhandle. I think when the freeway upgrade was canceled eventually the growth came anyways so the the road had to be widened to it's current state. The fuel economy is not very good when all the light are not even timed together. There aren't really "Michigan Lefts" but there are many turn lanes along the highway so people can easily access business and residences however at time you can wait a long time before you are able to turn. I should note in the first video McMullen Booth Rd is a canceled freeway too hence the overpasses at both ends of the bridge.

Tags
united states