daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #441
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

They look like US 13 in Delaware
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #442
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Here is another video, enjoy!

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #443
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Here's my Garden Start parkway trip.
Entering the Garden State Parkway North from Route 3 West

Crossing Allwood Boulevard in Clifton,NJ

Northbound in City of Clifton,NJ

US 46 / NJ 19 Interchange Complex

Garden State Parkway Construction

Entering Bergen County,NJ my home County

Approaching the Saddle Brook,NJ Toll Gate

Going under I-80

Toll Gate

I love EZ-Pass makes everything smooth going through Tolls

Entering Paramus ,NJ
Route 4 (Shopping Hwy East-West) Exit approaching

Crossing Route 4

Approaching Route 17 (North-South Shopping Hwy) Left Handed Exit

Paramus,NJ

Exiting @ 163

Ridgewood Road East in Paramus,NJ

Forest Avenue North

Typical County Town/City Directional Signs

Mountain Avenue, Washington Township,NJ (My Town)

I hoped you liked my little tour , more coming in the coming days
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #444
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I was checking the NTTA (North Texas Tollway Authority) for traffic volumes, and stumbled upon this Tollway map.

It contains the existing toll roads in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, as well as proposed tollways.
[IMG]http://i31.************/24xnqir.png[/IMG]

To sum up the proposed and planned toll roads:

* SH 121 extension from Coppell to McKinney.
* SH 121 extension from Fort Worth south to US 67 near Cleburne.
* SH 161 extension from Irving into Grand Prairie, parallel to existing SH 360.
* SH 170 construction of mainline lanes from Fort Worth to SH 114.
* SH 190 extension of George Bush Turnpike from Garland to I-20.
* SH 360 extension from I-20 south to US 287 in Mansfield.
* construction of Trinity Parkway adjacent to I-35E and SH 183.
* extension of the Dallas North Tollway north of Frisco.

As you can see, most of these projects are to the north of Dallas-Fort Worth. I wondered why the metropolitan area sprawls very far north, with large suburbs like Carrollton, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Garland and Richardson, while there's almost nothing to the south of Dallas. What's the reason that Dallas-Fort Worth mostly grew to the north? This creates an unbalanced traffic pattern.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #445
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Maybe people are drawn to the lakes. South of Dallas is nothing but farm land from what I've noticed.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #446
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Other things factor into it as well. Northern freeways were the first developed in the area, which would naturally attract suburban development.

There are also other sociological factors that may weigh in. Dallas is a city of many divisions.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #447
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The I-635 was only constructed in the early 70's though. Quite late actually, but Texas only started to grow after the 60's. It went quite fast in Dallas. Look how far north Frisco and McKinney are north of the George Bush Turnpike... up to 15 miles, almost make you wish for making US 380 a freeway.

I expect to see some shift of development to the south of Dallas with the construction of Loop 9. It's not smart to let Dallas grow any further north, the US 75 cannot absorb additional traffic from development in that area. Or they need to expanse subcenters north of Dallas, so job centers spread out of the area.
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #448
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The I-635 was only constructed in the early 70's though. Quite late actually, but Texas only started to grow after the 60's. It went quite fast in Dallas. Look how far north Frisco and McKinney are north of the George Bush Turnpike... up to 15 miles, almost make you wish for making US 380 a freeway.
I think there is a long-range plan to build a freeway in the US 380 corridor.

The LBJ Freeway may have been built only in the 1970's, but US 75 north of downtown Dallas dates from the mid-1950's. I actually suspect freeway development in the north lagged behind the south--the I-20 corridor (including the so-called "cookie-cutter" stacks) was built in the 1970's and is still mostly greenfield, but the LBJ corridor has been built up for a very long time. I don't know if the houses were there before the freeway or if it was necessary to take advantage of land donations or a corridor reserved in advance, but the present LBJ alignment is highly constrained, to the extent that the recently signed LBJ CDA provides for the construction of managed lanes in tunnel.

There is a real dearth of north-south routes with adequate room for expansion to serve additional development in the north. The widened US 75 is maxed out between the High Five and downtown Dallas, while the DNT runs within a tight corridor. That leaves I-35E, which is slated for major widening.

As an aside, Texas Instruments has a major facility (its headquarters?) near the High Five. I am not sure why it located there, as opposed to the less crowded part of southern Dallas County/northern Ellis County.

Edit: Just checked KeepItMovingDallas.com; notwithstanding any long-range visions of a freeway in the US 380 corridor, TxDOT's currently published schematics show (in a roll plot I picked at random) a surface arterial with restricted median openings as the projected US 380 facility.

Last edited by J N Winkler; August 25th, 2009 at 02:24 AM.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #449
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

First in the Nation: Diverging Diamond Interchange along MO 13 near I-44 in Springfield

by: US 71
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #450
Tom985

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
What's the reason that Dallas-Fort Worth mostly grew to the north? This creates an unbalanced traffic pattern.
Garreau's First Law of Corporate Relocation: Relocation of a corporate HQ must result in a shorter commute for the CEO.

The edge cities of the 70's and '80's sprung up in places that were both close to existing CEO-quality housing and somewhat accessible to the rest of the metro area. Then, when rapid growth drove the creation of new very high end residential districts, they were located conveniently to the most remote of the edge cities.

Traffic congestion isn't a crippling issue because CEOs can come to work whenever they choose. Sitting in traffic is for wage slaves.

Actually, I know next to nothing about Dallas, but that's what happened in Atlanta.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #451
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

Could someone explain me why do you have to pay to ride on American highways ?????
Ukraine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #452
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

There are many highways you don't have to pay to drive on, toll highways you obviously pay for and the funding either goes to pay for that road or usually other road projects.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #453
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
There are many highways you don't have to pay to drive on, toll highways you obviously pay for and the funding either goes to pay for that road or usually other road projects.
Very true. You can drive across the country in any direction without having to pay tolls. Some places you might have to take the long way around (Brooklyn Bridge for Manhattan) but they can be avoided.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #454
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Very true. You can drive across the country in any direction without having to pay tolls. Some places you might have to take the long way around (Brooklyn Bridge for Manhattan) but they can be avoided.
I think it's impossible to go westbound from NYC without paying a toll. It's really hard to leave Jersey without paying a toll, for sure

Edit: turns out you can take the Bear Mountain Bridge westbound without paying. That's going really far out of the way, however
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #455
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
I think it's impossible to go westbound from NYC without paying a toll. It's really hard to leave Jersey without paying a toll, for sure

Edit: turns out you can take the Bear Mountain Bridge westbound without paying. That's going really far out of the way, however
Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, GW Bridge only have tolls eastbound and are free westbound. And getting into Manhattan toll-free from Long Island or the Bronx is no problem either.

Don't know about NJ. I-78, 80 all have tolls westbound accross the Delaware. Palisades, over to Rt 17, 84, 81, back to 80 would probably mean paying 2x as much for gas to save a few bucks on tolls, but yeah, it could be done.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #456
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

I never heard of these tolls..Why do you have to pay between Jersey to New-York. Is the money invested in infrastructure?? or used to something else???
Ukraine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #457
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If you pay for the toll bridges in the NYC area, you'll pay for others using transit. All those bridges and tunnels have been paid off decades ago.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #458
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

It is also, I assume, a form of congestion pricing. If all crossings were free, more people would drive at busy times. Cities like London charge money to drive on any road into the centre city. I don't know if it was implemented, but I remember hearing that New York was thinking about congestion pricing on crossings so that busier times for traffic would have higher prices, thus discouraging usage of those crossings at those times. San Francisco is also thinking about that. The reason for the one direction toll is because they assume you will be coming back home only to drive across and pay the toll again some other time. Saves money on having to maintain two toll plazas, just raise the toll and charge it once in one direction.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #459
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think the NY tolls can be considered a "cordon pricing", not a "congestion charge", since you'll pay at nearly all the logical entrances to Manhattan, but it's not based on the actual congestion.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #460
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
If you pay for the toll bridges in the NYC area, you'll pay for others using transit. All those bridges and tunnels have been paid off decades ago.
The only problem with this assessment is that tolls go to either the NYC Dept of Roads and Bridges, Port Authority of NY and NJ, or the State of New Jersey. The MTA barely sees a dime.

Tags
united states