daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #521
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

There was a neighborhood in SD that had those old intersections with the street light in the middle of the intersection and no stop signs, and then they put stop signs in at least one of the two streets to regulate it. Priority to the right still holds if you get to the intersection at the same time on a stop, at least in CA.

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #522
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Don't these intersections typically have 4-way stop signs or are otherwise signed in a way that if there's no yield or stop sign, it practically always means you have the right of way?
In newer (postwar) subdivisions, priority control (stop or yield signs) tends to be used very sparingly within the subdivision itself. For example, the subdivision I grew up in has stop signs only where the internal circulating roads intersect with the boundary arterials (two section-line roads and one connector road which ultimately leads to a ramp pair connecting with I-235 northbound). There are some crossroads, but not that many, and quite a few tee intersections. Some of the internal roadways are straight, but these tend to be fairly short or to terminate at tee junctions within the subdivision itself. Others are curvy.

There are some exceptions which prove the rule though. Newer subdivisions tend to have consolidated access to the boundary arterials, which means that there is a collector road leading to the access point which carries more traffic than the distributor roads leading off of it. Therefore, it tends to be protected by stop signs. Meanwhile, old neighborhoods planned and built before World War II tend to have (as noted above) grid layouts, so it is common to protect all the roads going in one direction (typically the ones having the most direct access to a boundary arterial) with stop signs just to cut down on right-angle crashes. There is a 1920's neighborhood not far from where I grew up where all the north-south roads are protected by stop signs, which means you get an uninterrupted run going north-south while you have to stop at each intersection going east-west.

As a generalization, if the traffic volumes on multiple approaches at an intersection are well balanced but very low, and the approach speeds are low, imposing priority control or traffic calming measures tends to cause more problems than it solves. But for various reasons many communities are uncomfortable with a laissez-faire approach to intersection control within subdivisions, and this has prompted experimentation with what are called "traffic calming circles"--i.e., circular islands placed in the middle of intersections without any revision in curb returns, so that vehicles need to slow down and go through them in turn (using roundabout priority rules). These are actually not all that common in Kansas, where my experience of neighborhood roads is deepest, but they are used in Seattle, Portland, and the Maryland suburbs of DC.

It should be noted also that consolidation of access to new subdivisions is not prompted just by considerations of exclusivity, gate control, or crime prevention. It is a standard access management strategy: the thinking is that you cut the risk of accidents, and sometimes even the overall delay to vehicles, by reducing the number of access points to an arterial and by providing a gradual transition from roads specialized for access to roads specialized for through traffic. Driveway consolidation (another popular access management technique) is motivated by similar considerations.

My personal feeling, however, is that it is easy to insist on access consolidation even in situations where it produces little real benefit. The loss of direct access to ambulances and fire trucks is also a significant tradeoff. Consolidation of access also does not have a simple relationship either to crime within the subdivision or to the factors which tend to promote crime. It is not uncommon for highly accessible older subdivisions to have better crime records than "exclusive" newer ones with highly consolidated access. Subdivisions generate their own crime--it does not all come from outside--and a new "exclusive" subdivision where the owners are set on playing the real estate market and so "flip" all the time will often have more transients, and thus more crime, than an older one where a high proportion of the houses are still occupied by their original owners.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #523
V22 Osprey

Likes (Received): 0

The Toll Roads out here in California are very nice.Probably the closes road out here that looks anything close to european motorways.Shit, they look better than the Interstates.

California State Route 73 just South of State Route 55 and Interstate 405:
V22 Osprey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #524
just_a_guy
Wait, what!?

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by V22 Osprey View Post
The Toll Roads out here in California are very nice.Probably the closes road out here that looks anything close to european motorways.Shit, they look better than the Interstates.
I've been on this one a couple of times and I really can't tell the difference (besides there being toll plazas on ramps). The advantage of that particular toll freeway is getting away from congested I-405 and I-5. It's like a short cut if you're going towards San Diego.
just_a_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #525
V22 Osprey

Likes (Received): 0

Well, on the toll roads they are very smooth, and as you can see in screenshot, very crisp and clean.From that picture, I could eat off that road.Look other routes like CA 91 and CA 60..... love these freeways but they are just ugly as hell.

You can't tell the difference? I doubt that.I-5 nor other highways out here look that good.
V22 Osprey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #526
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

This is form my August Mid Atlantic trip to Delaware and Maryland i forgot to post my pictures form it.

Delaware 1 just north of Lewes,Delaware to Dover,DE

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Milford,DE Exit

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Crossing a Marsh / Wetland

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Slow moving Farm Equipment on Delaware 1

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Crossing another Wetland just south of Dover

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Delaware 1 @ Dover's Air Force Base

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Thats it for now , i need to sort out my pics form yesterday of NJ

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; April 5th, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #527
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Much of the Delmarva Peninsula, especially rural Delaware and adjacent parts of Maryland, look amazingly like parts of the upper midwest and if you show most of those above images from along DE 1 to a midwesterner, he or she will honestly start guessing 'Northern Indiana', 'Northwest Ohio', 'Somewhere in Wisconsin', etc.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #528
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

I've seen a lot of Delmarva videos thanks to a guy named "vbdenny" on Youtube. I like that area. I like small town Eastern U.S. better than dusty western U.S. I think.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #529
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Much of the Delmarva Peninsula, especially rural Delaware and adjacent parts of Maryland, look amazingly like parts of the upper midwest and if you show most of those above images from along DE 1 to a midwesterner, he or she will honestly start guessing 'Northern Indiana', 'Northwest Ohio', 'Somewhere in Wisconsin', etc.

Mike
That's what I was going to say. Those shots could have been straight out of Downstate Illinois.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #530
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Glad you guys liked it
I Entered the Pulaski Skyway mid span, so we start off on the second span
Hackensack River Span of the Pulaski Skyway

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

small bridge incident caused all that traffic

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

smooth ride afterwards

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Avenue : Major Road : Little India ,Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Newark Avenue in Journal SQ ,Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

NJ Route 139 East in Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

End of NJ 139 @ US 1/9 Ext and I-78 in Newport , Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

Jersey City Skyway or I-78

image hosted on flickr

US 1/9 Ext East

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

End of US 1/9 Ext Merging with I-78 East @ Holland Tunnel Plaza in Jersey City , note that I-78 traffic has a Green Light and US 1/9 traffic has a red light

image hosted on flickr

Thats all for now , i hope you enjoyed stay tuned for more

~Corey

Last edited by Nexis; April 6th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #531
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Great pics!! Eventually you will have taken pics of all the highways in Jersey lol.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #532
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
This is form my August Mid Atlantic trip to Delaware and Maryland i forgot to post my pictures form it.

Delaware 1 just north of Lewes,Delaware to Dover,DE

IMG

Thats it for now , i need to sort out my pics form yesterday of NJ

~Corey
Nice pictures! This is my neck of the woods. I see that you even got a picture of the new exit that they are building just south of Dover AFB. Plans are to make Delaware Route 1 limited access as much as possible from Dover to Milford. It won't be completely like that, since some businesses and houses are scattered along it, but they are building that interchange seen above, and I heard that they are building interchanges at Little Heaven and the road that goes to Bowers Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
That's what I was going to say. Those shots could have been straight out of Downstate Illinois.
That may be true, but knowing Delaware as a resident, and having driven across Indiana and Illinois a couple times, there are a couple things that I think would make a difference. The first is that our roads here follow the colonial way that things ended up: roads were winding and random, to fit the needs to the people that made them and used them. Out in the Midwest, survey crews mapped out the entire countryside, and roads followed strict square-mile layouts and sub-layouts. Roads are very straight out there.

The other difference, at least to me, is that Delaware is one-dimensional, and Midwest states are two-dimensional. In Delaware, there is no such thing as driving east or west, because if you drive east or west for more than 20 or 30 minutes, you're in Maryland or you're at water. The only real distance that you have to travel is the north/south directions. In the Midwest, you can travel for long periods of time not only east/west, but also north/south. Basically, I can sense the boundaries of the state here, and when I sense other states, I can feel that I can go in several directions and still be in a similar place. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, though.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 13th, 2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: pics fixed. quoting a massive amount of pics is annoying.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #533
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Please don't quote all of the pictures in future. It makes it more difficult to scroll down the page for everybody else.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #534
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Try driving from Norfolk to Dover on US 13 without falling asleep. My god. Never again.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #535
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's only 190 miles... I don't think you're up to crossing the High Plains yet
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #536
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I found Delaware Highways to be quiet boring n flat and unpleasing to ride along
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #537
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Exiting Route 17 in Maywood,NJ

image hosted on flickr

County Route 59 or Maywood Ave Northbound

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Maywood Ave @ Central Ave

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Maywood Ave @ Passaic Street

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Maywood Turns into Forest ave @ The Bergen Mall County Route 59 Continues
The Bergen Mall Complex

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Crossing Route 4 in Paramus,NJ

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Forest Ave @ Howland Ave or in Paramus

image hosted on flickr

Forest Ave near Van Saun Zoo n Park

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Forest Ave in Paramus

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Forest Ave @ Soldier Hill Road

image hosted on flickr

Forest Ave in Westwood,NJ

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

County Route 59 ends a mile after the last picture location @ County Route 507
Thats it for now more coming later

~Corey

Last edited by Nexis; April 6th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #538
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4271

A couple pictures of the exit ramp being built in Chester, PA, which will provide access to Union Field (future home of the Philadelphia Union of the MLS). As it is now, if you get on U.S. 322 eastbound from I-95, you can't exit until you get into New Jersey.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #539
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of non-interstate freeway to open today (2009-10-15)

A new section of US 67 freeway opens today (Thursday, 2009-10-15) between AR 18 at Newport, AR and AR 226 just east of the Craighead/Jackson County line, a distance of about 29 km. This is another piece in a new highway corridor that may ultimately directly connect the Little Rock, AR area into the I-57 corridor in far southeastern Missouri, with the potential for it to then be reflagged as 'I-57'.

http://www.wreg.com/sns-ap-ar--us67d...,3426099.story

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #540
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Is U.S. Route 67 supposed to run via Jonesboro or Hoxie?

Tags
united states