daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #761
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17035

Here's some NJ 18 Photos i found on Flickr.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

image hosted on flickr

Back in March after the Historic Floods

image hosted on flickr

October

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krkahn/[email protected]/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krkahn/[email protected]/

Along the Road

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgee...7607914511224/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Underneath the highway , in Riverside Park

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #762
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think the original meaning of a freeway (free-flow) has been replaced by the fact that they're toll free. However, you wouldn't call a regular highway or road a freeway, even if they're free of tolls, right?
In Sydney, Australia, that is indeed the case. When only part of the freeway/motorway is tolled, people call it a motorway. For example:
M4 Western Motorway

F3 Freeway (this was always called a freeway, even though it was originally tolled)

For some reason, the UK word motorway is being used for all tollway projects, which is very odd, considering that tollways were also called freeways as well:
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #763
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

My what cheap tolls you got down under! The Chesapeake bay Bridge Tunnel is $15 over here:

image hosted on flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Rather compare it to Midwestern Turnpikes instead of a single toll object (bridge/tunnel). The latter are always more expensive than a long-distance toll road.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #765
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
My what cheap tolls you got down under! The Chesapeake bay Bridge Tunnel is $15 over here:

image hosted on flickr
15$? wtf , the Max here in NYC is 10$ an thats only on 2 bridges.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #766
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Well, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is 17 miles long. Now a question, from a native of North Jersey who's toll-adverse (and who rarely gets north of his parents' place and thus hasn't driven in New York south of Suffern in years): what bridges in the New York area are up to 10 bucks now?!
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #767
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is 17 miles long. Now a question, from a native of North Jersey who's toll-adverse (and who rarely gets north of his parents' place and thus hasn't driven in New York south of Suffern in years): what bridges in the New York area are up to 10 bucks now?!
A few MTA Bridges and Tunnels the rest are 8-10$. Off peak , you can go down as low as 6$ with EZ Pass at certain areas. But that is why i park & ridge via the 1.50$ PATH Train.
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #768
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
The Verrazano Narrows Bridge since Congress eliminated two-way tolling on bridges in 1986. But a sneaky Staten Island Rep. got the tolls reversed on the VNB so while all NY bridges charge going into the city, the VNB charges going from it into SI. Thus anyone willing to do a little extra driving and put up with a couple lower Jersey tolls can go into town over the VNB, and leave by the tunnels or the GW and skip the MTA tolls. And as a result, it's estimated that since the 1990s, the MTA has lost over $1 billion in revenue from this arrangement. And the MTA is broke! And SI still rides the ferry for free!
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #769
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I thought the main reason for the westbound tolls was to avoid Staten Island being gridlocked because of idling traffic at the toll gates. Of course, 90,000 vehicles per day in one direction causes quite some queues at toll gates. Unless you have French-style toll plazas with 25 gates in one direction.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #770
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

What other bridges/tunnels except the VNB are at or above $10?
The GWB, Lincoln, Holland Tunnels are all $8 and $6 during off-peak hours with EZ pass.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #771
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I doubt if there are more expensive bridges.

The San Francisco Bay Area bridges are all $ 6 or lower - and only one way. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge and Lake Pontchartrain Causeway are also in the low $ 1 - $ 3 area. The Ambassador Bridge charges $ 4.

That leaves the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel at $ 12.

Of course, tractor-trailers with more than 4 - 5 axles can be over $ 10.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #772
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I thought the main reason for the westbound tolls was to avoid Staten Island being gridlocked because of idling traffic at the toll gates. Of course, 90,000 vehicles per day in one direction causes quite some queues at toll gates. Unless you have French-style toll plazas with 25 gates in one direction.
My parents both grew up on Staten Island, and I still have relatives there. Keeping in mind that Staten Island is one of the five boroughs of New York City, the fact that it's so expensive to travel between Staten Island and the rest of the city is a major, ongoing political issue. Staten Islanders (such as my Aunt E----) would say the discount they get on the Verrazano, and the free ferry rides, are justified by the fact that they're the only borough without subway service (and that they paid full price on the bridge for so long).
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #773
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
That was the scheme. Susan Molinari got the tolls reversed because of complaints of fumes by SI residents so now all the traffic that used to cross back over the VN goes into Manhattan instead and clogs the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels ruining those neighborhoods with their fumes...while depriving the MTA of revenue.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #774
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
What other bridges/tunnels except the VNB are at or above $10?
The GWB, Lincoln, Holland Tunnels are all $8 and $6 during off-peak hours with EZ pass.
Bridges and tunnels that cross the New York-New Jersey state line (the George Washington Bridge, the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, the bridges that connect Staten Island to New Jersey) are run/owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - a two-state agency that also runs the airports (Kennedy, LaGuardia, Newark) and port facilities. Nexis reffered to MTA bridges/tunnels. The MTA is the New York State agency that runs the New York City transit system, the Long Island and MetroNorth railroads... and at some point - maybe in the 90s - took over the toll facilities that run between boroughs of New York City (Verrazano Bridge; Brooklyn-Battery and Queens-Midtown Tunnels; RFK (formerly Triborough), Bronx-Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges; and I think one or two other bridges connecting the Rockaway Peninsula (in southern Queens) to the north side of Jamaica Bay). They're not Port Authority facilities; before the MTA, they belonged to the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority. So that's where the $10 tolls would be. As I said to Nexis, I haven't driven in New York City in a long time so I don't know the tolls. It should be easy enough to find.... Google "wikipedia MTA bridges," or something like that.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #775
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
One BIG reason why the CBBT has such an expensive toll ($15 in each direction) is to actively discourage suburbanization of the Virginia part of the Delmarva Peninsula at its north end (its south end is right in the middle of the Norfolk/Portsmouth 'Tidewater' metro area). Should that area 'suburbanize', beside the changes in the peninsula's local culture, the crossing will become overburdened. Remember that its two tunnels are still 2x1 single carriageways.

The CBBT also serves as an alternate route for through traffic to avoid transiting the Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC metro areas, so even at that rate, it still has a positive 'value' for that traffic.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #776
INTER88

Likes (Received): 265

How big is the U.S. highway network?
INTER88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #777
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Bridges and tunnels that cross the New York-New Jersey state line (the George Washington Bridge, the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, the bridges that connect Staten Island to New Jersey) are run/owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - a two-state agency that also runs the airports (Kennedy, LaGuardia, Newark) and port facilities. Nexis reffered to MTA bridges/tunnels. The MTA is the New York State agency that runs the New York City transit system, the Long Island and MetroNorth railroads... and at some point - maybe in the 90s - took over the toll facilities that run between boroughs of New York City (Verrazano Bridge; Brooklyn-Battery and Queens-Midtown Tunnels; RFK (formerly Triborough), Bronx-Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges; and I think one or two other bridges connecting the Rockaway Peninsula (in southern Queens) to the north side of Jamaica Bay). They're not Port Authority facilities; before the MTA, they belonged to the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority. So that's where the $10 tolls would be. As I said to Nexis, I haven't driven in New York City in a long time so I don't know the tolls. It should be easy enough to find.... Google "wikipedia MTA bridges," or something like that.
Here's the MTA toll schedule:
http://www.mta.info/bandt/traffic/btmain.html

And your PA tolls:
http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnel...on-bridge.html
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #778
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
One BIG reason why the CBBT has such an expensive toll ($15 in each direction) is to actively discourage suburbanization of the Virginia part of the Delmarva Peninsula at its north end (its south end is right in the middle of the Norfolk/Portsmouth 'Tidewater' metro area). Should that area 'suburbanize', beside the changes in the peninsula's local culture, the crossing will become overburdened. Remember that its two tunnels are still 2x1 single carriageways.

The CBBT also serves as an alternate route for through traffic to avoid transiting the Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC metro areas, so even at that rate, it still has a positive 'value' for that traffic.

Mike
When I lived out there, the tolls were still $9 each way for a single span project. It was such an expensive complex back in 1964 that the tolls were the highest anywhere in the US since there was so little traffic especially up to the Delmarva. Now, there are two spans paid for by the egregious tolls and there are seriously expensive new developments in Cape Charles north of the bay. Million dollar luxury golf estates and seaside condos catering to Hampton Roads wealthies.
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #779
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Oh and here's the Chessie Bay Bridge Tunnel toll schedule. It's now $17 roundtrip.

http://www.cbbt.com/schedule.html

BTW, it's truly one of the most incredible drives anywhere in the US...almost worth the money!
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #780
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTER88 View Post
How big is the U.S. highway network?
3 million miles, including all classes of road. The Interstate highway network is about 46,000 miles and there is an additional amount of freeway which is not part of the Interstate highway system. (I have not attempted a count of non-Interstate freeway mileage, and this information is not readily available from FHWA tables because the "principal arterial" classification can also include expressways with some flat intersections and is not subdivided into freeways and other roads, but I would be very surprised if the total mileage of non-Interstate freeway were greater than 10,000.)
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states