daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:42 PM   #821
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Keystone Ave/Parkway (IN 431) - Carmel IN upgrade plans

I found an interesting item on InDOT rebuilding Keystone Ave (IN 431) in Carmel, IN into essentially a 'Freeway Lite™' and then turning it over to the city. Design changes at the city's insistence (replacing the planned standard diamond interchanges with narrow-profile 'dogbone' roundabouts) greatly improved this project and, IMHO, serves as an example that should be followed in MANY other places.

http://www.carmellink.org/

It almost looks like it could be a part of the planned US 31 upgrades.

Enjoy!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #822
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2783

County Rd 52/Morgan Rd

Stuck in Bama está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #823
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2783

County Rd 29 a neighborhood road near my house

Stuck in Bama está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #824
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its US 1/9 they were all built around the same time 1930s-40s and are extremely overcrowded. Same is said for our rail network.
I should have recognized it. For two years in the late 80s, I commuted from Scotch Plains to Secaucus. I had the option of getting there as late as 9:30, and I quickly discovered the most tolerable route was to wait till about 8:55, then do 22, to 1/9, to (if memory serves) County Road.

The two times I tried that route home, however, it was just awful. Never need to see Tonnele Avenue again....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #825
gandhiji1

Likes (Received): 0

Holland Tunn to NY

PA has added two more sections of HE LED lights in NYC bound tube. The newer lights are a bit brighter than the ones added last year.

Save Energy and Save the beautiful earth.
gandhiji1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #826
xd_1771

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
image hosted on flickr
I remember this place! This is just north of the Comfort Suites I stayed in when I visited the New York area in 2004! :p
I'm surprised there's STILL construction going on there...
The Wendy's near that u-Turn intersection is how I recognize it! :p
xd_1771 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #827
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I should have recognized it. For two years in the late 80s, I commuted from Scotch Plains to Secaucus. I had the option of getting there as late as 9:30, and I quickly discovered the most tolerable route was to wait till about 8:55, then do 22, to 1/9, to (if memory serves) County Road.

The two times I tried that route home, however, it was just awful. Never need to see Tonnele Avenue again....
County Road now connects Jersey City with Secacus JCT Train Station , NJT hopes to build a LRT line form Hoboken Terminal - Journal SQ - Seacacus JCT to help reduce congestion. And they are planning on building Parking Garages now At Seacacus JCT something they should have done a while ago. The area will always be an industrial mess, and if you think thats bad. You have to see it form the train , its disgusting how much decay and neglected concrete there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I remember this place! This is just north of the Comfort Suites I stayed in when I visited the New York area in 2004! :p
I'm surprised there's STILL construction going on there...
The Wendy's near that u-Turn intersection is how I recognize it! :p
Construction ended back in 2007 , but the Construction you see there is for the Access to the Core Tunnel Project. The Road was shifted to allow the prep work for the TBM , which should come later this year.

Route 17 North - Rutherford

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

NJ 17 @ NJ 120

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

NJ 17 @ US 46

image hosted on flickr

The Bendix Diner - The Oldest in NJ

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

NJ 17 @ I-80

image hosted on flickr

Thats it , a few new GSP pics to share.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #828
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

The Golden Gate Bridge (US 101) turns 73 today!

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #829
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4272

I posted plans in my state to upgrade U.S. 113 from Milford south to the Maryland border to limited-access (because of the increase in traffic from beachgoers and agricultural trucks). These plans were reported today, and the bypass of just some of the towns seems to replace the concept of upgrading the entire stretch.

Quote:
Delaware roads: 113 bypass aims to fix perpetual bottleneck
DelDOT says traffic can only get worse

During the summer, the cars line up like ants on U.S. 113 in Millsboro.

Just ask June Taylor and Jim Smith, who have been crossing the dual highway through downtown for nearly 30 years.

"In the summertime, it's a nightmare," said Smith. "You wait 20 minutes just to cross."

Congestion along the highway is only projected to get worse. By 2030, traffic along the north-south corridor between Millsboro and the state line at Selbyville could increase by up to 53 percent -- almost 20,000 more cars a day. By 2025 on Del. 24, an east-west route through the city, driving will be so slow it'll be more like walking.

To ease those snarls, state Department of Transportation engineers this week unveiled an $839 million proposal to construct a limited-access highway to bypass U.S. 113 and the towns of Frankford, Dagsboro and Millsboro.

The new 12.7-mile stretch, from north of Selbyville to north of Millsboro, would require the construction of a new bridge over the Indian River and the purchase of all or portions of 420 properties. DelDOT said the state will begin acquiring property in two years.

U.S. 113, privately funded by industrialist Coleman du Pont, at first helped connect farmers and the rural countryside with larger markets for lumber and poultry. The first stretch was built in Sussex County, connecting Selbyville to Ellendale when it was completed in 1917.

Today, the dual highway is a main corridor for residents who commute to work in Georgetown and Dover from smaller towns farther south. Truck traffic hauls poultry from processing plants, and the chickens are joined during the summer by a huge flow of beach traffic.

Tourists can head directly south to Ocean City, Md., or use Del. 24, 26 or 54 to connect to Delaware's southern beach resorts, bypassing often-clogged Del. 1 around Lewes and Rehoboth.

As traffic has increased, so has commercial development, especially in the Georgetown and Millsboro areas, moving closer to the highway from the traditional town centers.

The volume of traffic between Georgetown and Millsboro could swell even more if the proposed Del Pointe racino resort is built on the eastern side of the highway.

Officials compared the proposed new 12.7-mile highway to the stretch of Del. 1 from Dover to New Castle County. Drivers can expect limited access at certain exits, instead of residential and business driveways dotting the shoulders, project engineer Monroe Hite III said.

The speed limit will be around 65 mph, but unlike Del. 1 it's not being designed as a toll road. That may not be the case in the future, however -- "If that does change, that's above and beyond us," Hite said.

The road is in the planning stages and nowhere near construction, meaning residents and drivers will have to wait decades before seeing any actual relief -- also similar to the construction of Del. 1, Hite said.

"Route 1 was over 30 years -- as sections were done, they were opened for the public, and then we completed the other segments," he said.

Misunderstood

DelDOT spokeswoman Tina Shockley said that's one part that's been difficult for people to understand.

"It's hard for people to get their heads around the fact that this is a long-term project," she said. "This isn't going to happen two or three years from now. This is going to happen in 20, 30 years."

But if all goes as planned, land purchases could begin as soon as 2012, once the federal government gives its blessing and funding becomes available.
Those right-of-way acquisitions are the first priority, so DelDOT can "protect" the pathway until construction funding comes through, piece by piece, Hite said.

And that worries people such as Andrew Cress.

If the preferred route comes to fruition, he'll have to sell several acres of his farmland to the state.

"I wish they'd go west of 113, where there's not farmland and homes and chicken houses," Cress said, standing outside the Millsboro fire hall after a public workshop this week.

He acknowledged that traffic is a huge problem in the area, but isn't so sure that a project this big is what's needed.

"Millsboro seems to be the bottleneck -- it takes 15 minutes to get through town," he said.

Hite said the preferred route, known as the "Blue Alternative," won the backing of a Millsboro-area working group, and affects the fewest properties of all the five alternatives. He said it also will attract the greatest volume of traffic while having the least impact on travelers during construction.

Other alternatives included a western bypass and an "on-alignment" option, using the footprint of the existing dual highway and converting it to a limited-access road.

DelDOT's preferred route does use part of U.S. 113 for the southern portion, from south of Frankford to the state line at Selbyville. But the plan has been changed so that residents and business owners won't lose their access to the highway, Hite said. They'll still be able to get on U.S. 113, but will have to use an overpass to head in the opposite direction.

The Millsboro-south route is only one part of a U.S. 113 project that's already been years in the making. The state has proposed expanding the existing highway in the Georgetown and Ellendale areas, turning the bulk of the highway into limited-access.

An environmental assessment of the Ellendale-area improvements will be available for public review in June, and the Georgetown-area component will be ready by late summer.

There's still a big question of what to do in the Milford area, where fierce local and legislative opposition several years ago led to the state dropping a bypass proposal there. In 2007, the state legislature's Joint Bond Bill Committee, which sets capital spending priorities, barred DelDOT from building a bypass to funnel traffic east of Milford through Lincoln.

Back to old highway

At present, DelDOT says, there is no plan, meaning the high-speed, limited-access U.S. 113 will simply transition into the old U.S. 113 in the Milford area, with a much slower speed limit and multiple stoplights.

"Unfortunately, that's what we're left with at this point," Hite said. "We decided we weren't going to do any work there, and wait for the community to come back to us."

Opinions among some Millsboro-area residents who attended a public workshop Monday were almost uniform in agreement that traffic is awful and something needs to be done.

Steve McIlvain, who lives outside Millsboro, said traffic on U.S. 113 is terrible, "especially when there's a holiday or any event in Ocean City," he said.

But, he said, east-west congestion along routes such as Del. 24 is the biggest problem. "When you're coming west at 3 or 5 o'clock, getting through Millsboro's a bear," McIlvain said.

State officials said work on expanding the east-west connector roads -- Del. 24, 26 and 54 -- would be the first priority, before any construction begins on the north-south highway.

"We've heard from Day One -- if you want to address the north-south issue, you've got to address the east-west issue," Hite said.

Large amounts of federal funding are expected; highway projects such as this are generally financed with 80 percent federal money. "We're not going to build this with all 100 percent state funds," Hite said.

Some money has been earmarked for the project in DelDOT's capital transportation budget for both early-stage land acquisition and project development -- $1 million in the current fiscal year, which would increase as time goes on, Shockley said.

Millsboro Mayor Larry Gum, who is also the town's fire chief, said he was pleased that the state has narrowed its focus to the east bypass option, a route supported by Town Council for two years.

He said simply converting the existing highway into a limited-access road would have severely hurt Millsboro businesses and hampered access for emergency vehicles.

Like many town residents, Gum said downtown Millsboro -- which is bisected by Del. 24 -- needs help immediately.

"It's a constant traffic jam," he said. "This way, they could kill two birds with one stone."

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...NEWS02/5270362
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #830
Cosmoboy

Likes (Received): 1

The following is a video I shot a couple of days ago through Winston-Salem, NC of US 52. It is known throughout NC as being one of the most dangerous roads to drive due to short acceleration ramps, small lanes, daily accidents, lack of lighting, etc. It connects I-85 in Lexington to Mount Airy, NC and Virginia via I-74/77. NCDOT plans to sign I-74 along a portion of 52 until it exits off onto the proposed Northern Beltway. The rest of the road is planned to be widened to 8 lanes though downtown and signed as I-285.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssBa_H_rv_0
Cosmoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #831
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I saw a cute little PBS documentary about the Lincoln Highway the other night. The title was something like "Riding the Lincoln Highway." Today at a Borders I was looking through the 2011 Rand McNally, which just hit the stores (in May??), and I noticed they've now marked the Lincoln. Now have an urge to drive to Chicago or some place the slow way....

I realize this has nothing to do with anything in the preceding posts. :-)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #832
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmoboy View Post
The following is a video I shot a couple of days ago through Winston-Salem, NC of US 52. It is known throughout NC as being one of the most dangerous roads to drive due to short acceleration ramps, small lanes, daily accidents, lack of lighting, etc. It connects I-85 in Lexington to Mount Airy, NC and Virginia via I-74/77. NCDOT plans to sign I-74 along a portion of 52 until it exits off onto the proposed Northern Beltway. The rest of the road is planned to be widened to 8 lanes though downtown and signed as I-285.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssBa_H_rv_0
Good video, very pro-looking.

I suppose there'll be a proper urban interchange at Green I-40, then?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #833
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I saw a cute little PBS documentary about the Lincoln Highway the other night. The title was something like "Riding the Lincoln Highway." Today at a Borders I was looking through the 2011 Rand McNally, which just hit the stores (in May??), and I noticed they've now marked the Lincoln. Now have an urge to drive to Chicago or some place the slow way....

I realize this has nothing to do with anything in the preceding posts. :-)
The Lincoln Highway was the best known of the many 'auto trails' that were privately established across the USA in the days before numbered highways and general government support of roadbuilding, when automobiles were beginning their transition from rich mans' toys to practical transportation. I am actively involved with an organization that is focusing on a paralleling sister road, the Yellowstone Trail.

The Lincoln Highway is fully marked in Illinois, running through the far south and southwest Chicagoland suburbs and on westward across the state. The Yellowstone Trail (not yet marked in Illinois and marked in a few places here in Wisconsin) roughly followed the original routing of what is now US 41 through the state (Michigan Ave in downtown Chicago is on the Yellowstone Trail, for example).

It is beyond fascinating to research, trace and drive these really 'old' roads!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #834
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Love all these Jersey highways and parkways, those types are fun to drive on.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #835
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

My first stab at this - I'm not too good at taking pictures behind the wheel. Here's Route 24, the highway connecting Bel Air to I-95. About 10 of the 25 total miles of the road are divided highway.

Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #836
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

This road needs to be driven quickly =)
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

I like such roads. The layout is very straightforward and aesthetic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #838
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Where is it?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #839
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
-
The picture is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #840
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ It's New York Highway 39, a few miles east of US219 southeast of Buffalo. New York State has some great roads. Highway 39 is fun, and pretty.

Tags
united states