daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #961
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

The plans for the US 151- Beltline interchange currently under construction. (Madison, WI)

WisDOT

Last edited by brewerfan386; October 13th, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #962
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Taconic State Parkway
By treesandcoffee
East Fishkill and LaGrange, New York

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #963
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge opens today!

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #964
Nexis
Dark Wolf

To cars? Or for walking?
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #965
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
In the same vane

courtesy of WisDOT
Just looking at a map, I'd always assumed that this part of WI 29 was just a normal 2x2 rural highway-- the interchanges, underpasses and culs de sac are a surprise for me. Can you give us a timeline or procedural overview of the evolution toward freeway status for this route? Was it envisioned and planned for initially? Were there multiple steps along the way, or has WI 29 been as it is now since it was initially dualized? And, are similar (or dissimilar) procedures followed on other Wisconsin highways?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #966
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

WIS 29 freeway conversion study - Schedule

Quote:
STH-29 is one of central Wisconsin's major east-west highways and the portion between I-94 and Green Bay is the only state route (non-Interstate, non-US Highway) in the "Corridors 2020 Backbone Routes" system. Because it is such a major thoroughfare, studies were first begun in 1988 to explore options for the route, and since 1992 when the first construction began in Chippewa Co, STH-29 has been in a constant state of upgrading. WisDOT committed to widening the 204-mile long STH-29 corridor to four lanes divided between I-94 and Green Bay. WisDOT notes the cost for the entire project is $450 million with the final major upgrade project completed in August 2005. A downside of being such a heavily-travelled route, parts of this highway had been termed "Bloody 29" due to the amount of grisly accidents ocurring along it. The improvements to the route, though, have gone a long way toward increasing the safety of STH-29, and accident rates should continue to drop.
http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/lis...Hwys20-29.html

Quote:
Actual physical conversion of WIS 29 to a freeway will be a gradual process. Physical conversion means construction of grade separations, such as overpasses or interchanges, and parallel service roads where needed.

This type of work is not anticipated to occur for at least 10 to 15 or more years from the time the segment is officially designated as a freeway. However, for safety reasons, some access to WIS 29 may be altered earlier

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/project...v/schedule.htm
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #967
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Just looking at a map, I'd always assumed that this part of WI 29 was just a normal 2x2 rural highway-- the interchanges, underpasses and culs de sac are a surprise for me. Can you give us a timeline or procedural overview of the evolution toward freeway status for this route? Was it envisioned and planned for initially? Were there multiple steps along the way, or has WI 29 been as it is now since it was initially dualized? And, are similar (or dissimilar) procedures followed on other Wisconsin highways?
Each of those sideroad cutoffs and new overpass bridges and frontage roads will be built as the need arises and when funding allows. It will be a gradual process that will very likely progress over the next few decades. Right now, yes, most of WI 29 between I-94 and US 41 is a 2x2 'surface' highway with full interstate-compatibility on several sections, mostly in the more built-up areas.

The next section of WI 29 that I expect to be upgraded to full interstate-compatible standards will be the part combined with WI 32 west of US 41 in the Green Bay area. Part of that work will include an awesome (for 'outstate' Wisconsin!) new free-flowing directional 'T' interchange at US 41. This section carries major amounts of traffic in a heavily suburban area and construction will begin with next year's spring thaw.

BTW, all of US 41 in the State of Wisconsin steadily 'evolved' into the highway that it is now in the exact same way. Some is now a full interstate that is now being upgraded to 2x4 (I-94 south of Milwaukee) and most of the rest is a 2x2 and 2x3 mostly interstate compatible freeway (much of which is in the pipeline for 'promotion' to a full interstate) with a few sections of recently completed 2x2 'surface' highway as one gets closer to the Michigan state line. Further major upgrades to US 41 are in full swing. MANY of Wisconsin's other major non-interstates have been 'evolving' that way, too.

There is a big advantage to doing it that way - it gets the much safer four lanes up and running as soon as possible without the heavy-duty cash expenditures that fully interstate-compatible freeways would require. Think of these as being 'interstates-light' - the full speeds, capacities and improved safety without the full cost.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; October 17th, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #968
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Thanks, Jschmuck and Mike-- that was informative. Totally different from how we do things down here in Georgia, though admittedly there are few corridors here where freeway conversion would make sense, GA 316 and maybe US 23/GA 365 being the best candidates.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #969
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Some more relevant info from WisDOT:
Quote:
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Why didn't WisDOT build the new WIS 29 as a freeway from the beginning?

Funding for the freeway conversion was not available at the time the WIS 29 four-lane expansion project was being designed and constructed. Waiting for the funding would have delayed the expansion project. The decision was made to improve safety and mobility as soon as possible by expanding the two-lane highway, with the intent of converting to specific freeway standards over time.

What is WisDOT's standard for distances between interchanges?

The preferred distance is five miles, but the minimum standard is two miles. Spacing guidelines help ensure safety and mobility of the highway system.

How is WisDOT going to preserve the land needed to construct the improvements to convert the highway to a freeway?

By converting the highway to a freeway under the Freeway/Expressway Statute 84.295, WisDOT formally maps the necessary right of way to preserve the corridor and guide future development. This preservation benefits everyone by ensuring the safety of traffic on WIS 29 as well as crossroad traffic generated by developments along the corridor.

Quote:

Actual physical conversion of WIS 29 to a freeway will be a gradual process. Physical conversion means construction of grade separations, such as overpasses or interchanges, and parallel service roads where needed.
This type of work is not anticipated to occur for at least 10 to 15 or more years from the time the segment is officially designated as a freeway. However, for safety reasons, some access to WIS 29 may be altered earlier.
Old October 18th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #970
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

M-10 Freeway in Detroit:

Old October 18th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #971
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
To cars? Or for walking?
It's a major highway bridge connecting Las Vegas with fast-growing suburbs in Arizona.

image hosted on flickr

US 93 improvements leading towards the bridge.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #972
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It's a major highway bridge connecting Las Vegas with fast-growing suburbs in Arizona.

image hosted on flickr

US 93 improvements leading towards the bridge.
I know that , when does it open to cars?
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #973
sotonsi

20th IIRC.

When I visited the dam in 2003, en route to the Grand Canyon, there was some work done for the bypass that our coach driver pointed out. The road itself was a twisty bottleneck, and while tourists like me would like to see the dam (the road gave some good shots), most people on the road weren't tourists. A much needed scheme.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #974
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Looks like it's been built to interstate standards as well...
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #975
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
I know that , when does it open to cars?
"Sometime this week", according to NPR.
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #976
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Heres a Timelapse down US 6/202 form Bear Mountain to Peekskill,NY

Old October 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #977
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Heres a Timelapse down US 6/202 form Bear Mountain to Peekskill,NY

Nice scenery!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #978
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
M-10 Freeway in Detroit:

M39 North through M10 and then I696 west is probably one of the sweetest drives in Detroit. But those towers are all in suburb of Southfield. There are other such mini downtowns in the region including Troy and Dearborn.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #979
bmanx06

Likes (Received): 0

Confusing roundabouts

It's great that roundabouts are being employed en masse in many areas of the US nowadays. But recently, a single-lane roundabout in Gig Harbor, Washington was converted to this awkward multi-lane configuration.

Are there other roundabouts elsewhere where you can change lanes like this once inside? It seems awfully dangerous to me.

bmanx06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #980
sotonsi

There's thousands of multi-lane roundabouts in the United Kingdom. They aren't dangerous at all if people follow signs and road markings.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states