daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #1041
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

US-78, approaching Atlanta, Georgia:

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1042
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
US-78, approaching Atlanta, Georgia:
It's always startling to see a pic of something so familiar.

This highway was opened in 1968 at the same time as the section of I-285 it intersects. It was completed as 2x2 with a sixty foot median, which was the typical rural Interstate cross section at the time, and later widened to 2x3. However, the post-widening median treatment is different than that used for the many similar highways also widened in the '80's: instead of the usual full-width left shoulders and continuous double-sided metal barrier, like this:

...only narrow left shoulders were provided, with no barrier. The cable rail was added within the last couple of years-- it's of a different design from most others in the state, and is located directly adjacent to a ten foot (I think) left shoulder added along with the cable rail.

I don't understand why this road has been treated differently from its Interstate brothers.

Last edited by Tom 958; January 15th, 2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added photo
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #1043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

That's the Stone Mountain Freeway/Parkway. Back in '68 this county only had some 300,000 inhabitants, most of whom were probably living close to Atlanta, and not yet in this area apart from some regional centers. Today DeKalb County has 750,000 inhabitants.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #1044
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's the Stone Mountain Freeway/Parkway. Back in '68 this county only had some 300,000 inhabitants, most of whom were probably living close to Atlanta, and not yet in this area apart from some regional centers. Today DeKalb County has 750,000 inhabitants.
Maybe, but much of the immediate corridor was built out with single family homes in that time frame. Beyond that, this highway provided a high speed (for a while!) connection that enabled a development boom in southern Gwinnett County, even though US 78 in Gwinnett wasn't widened until the mid/late '70's.

It's moderated somewhat now, but for a long time the directional distribution on this road was really extreme. Lengthy rush hour backups were a daily thing even with ADT's of only 10,000 vehicles per lane, with the off-peak direction all but deserted.

By raw traffic volumes, this road could stand to be 2x4, and widening it would be relatively cheap. However, there are severe capacity constraints at either end, so there's no point.
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #1045
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Gwinnett County was one of the fastest growing counties in the US. Back in the 1970's, it had just over 70,000 inhabitants, but it grew to 350,000 by 1990, 590,000 by 2000 and 810,000 inhabitants today. I mean, that's just mind-boggling. The Atlanta metropolitan area has been growing by 100,000 people per year in the past 3 decades. However, the freeway network didn't increase by length, only by width. So Atlanta's freeways are very wide, but the network didn't change that much in the same time.
Old January 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1046
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lake Shore Drive (US 41) in Chicago, IL

Old January 16th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #1047
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ Chicago is beautiful. Often times, in Toronto where I live, people talking about Waterfront rejuvenation look to Chicago for how to do a waterfront well.
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #1048
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

Toronto has a nice waterfront. The problem is the area between the downtown area and the waterfront - a jumble of railroad tracks, freeways, and randomly placed high-rise buildings.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #1049
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

...plus the total lack of continuity in the street grid south of King Street, all the way to the shoreline. And the placement of the Gardiner Expressway several blocks south of the railroad tracks, so instead of having one continuous wall, there are two.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #1050
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Lake Shore Drive (US 41) in Chicago, IL
That's probably one of, if not *the* most beautiful and impressive urban expressway in the US. The FDR doesn't come close, imho.

Another impressive urban freeway would be I-75/85 in downtown Atlanta, but impressive in a different sense:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1051
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Great quality video of the Glendale Freeway (State Route 2) in Los Angeles, California:

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #1052
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post

Another impressive urban freeway would be I-75/85 in downtown Atlanta, but impressive in a different sense:
A different view, borrowed from simms3.

This is the 14th Street Interchange, about a mile north of where the other pics were taken, looking southwest. In the middle of the freeway you can see what looks like a third roadway, but it isn't-- it tapers down to nothing by 12th Street or so. I guess that it's provision for a left side HOV ramp to 14th Street, which would've been very helpful to the Cobb Transit routes that now have to proceed in general traffic from I-75 to MARTA's Arts Center Station.
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #1053
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I doubt that road is an Interstate. I've never seen an interstate that was 2 lanes, and I've driven on a lot of interstates.
It's through a mountain pass ("Notch" is the New Hampshire word for that), where there's not a lot of room for multiple roads and where preserving the landscape (it's National Forest, I believe) is an issue. For a long time, the intent was to upgrade it to Interstate standards, and the maps showed a gap in 93 at the Franconia Notch Parkway (I mean the designation I-93, at least officially, disappeared at one end of the parkway and reappeared at the other.) I have no idea when the parkway itself was built. At some point, it was decided not to upgrade the road and recognize the parkway as a part of the Interstate that didn't meet standards or whatever. (I'm not an expert on how that sort of thing works....)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1054
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
What it's doing in the non-interstate thread beats me!
Because we were talking about parkways.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #1055
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

double post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM   #1056
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

some recent pictures of the US 101 freeway expansion in rohnert park/cotati, sonoma county, ca, usa. the freeway is going from 2 lanes in each direction to 1 carpool lane, 2 general purpose lanes and 1 'auxiliary' lane (exit lane) in each direction. eventually, there will be a carpool lane from windsor (just north of santa rosa) all the way to san francisco thru sonoma and marin counties and this is part of that network.

photos credit caltrans and all 44 pictures can be viewed here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/photogra...901/index.html

wilfred ave:

ca 116:

w. sierra ave:

approach looking north toward cotati (wine grapes on left):

railroad ave:

looking south towards petaluma:
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lake Shore Drive in Chicago!

Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1058
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

That is crazy!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #1059
bogdymol
bogdymod

I found some interesting pics of US highways shot during this days:

Traffic makes its way through blizzard conditions on the Ohio Turnpike in Toledo. Tuesday Feb. 1, 2011. Detroit News / Madalyn Ruggiero

Traffic on U.S. Highway 12/ 14 in Madison, Wis. moves at a crawl as drivers navigate accumulating snows and high winds Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011. Wisconsin State Journal / John Hart

Cars are buried as a woman tries to clear her windshield Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011, in Milwaukee. AP / Jeffrey Phelps

All pictures were taken from here

Some more pictures of US interstate routes are here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1060
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Why would anybody attempt to drive a car when the snow is deeper than the hood?

Tags
united states