daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #1121
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,528
Likes (Received): 19203

Arkansas hwy 7. Very scenic drive.












Kansas Hwy 177 in the Flint Hills region






geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #1122
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,528
Likes (Received): 19203

US Hwy 160, gypsum hills scenic byway.












Colorado Hwy 10 from La Junta to Walsenburg. In over 70 miles I passed between 5 and 10 cars. Great place to test speed of your rental car. Hyundai Elantra 2011 model got to slightly over 120 mph. Next time I need something more powerful






Colorado Hwy 150, towards Great Sand Dunes National Park


geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #1123
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,528
Likes (Received): 19203

US Hwy 160 in Colorado


One of few tunnels in USA.


Four corners region drives.












Classic shot but I couldn't resist




geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #1124
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,528
Likes (Received): 19203



US Hwy 285 from Santa Fe towards I-40




Oklahoma Hwy 152






Going east.




Oklahoma Hwy 54, going south




Oklahoma Hwy 49 eastbound towards Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge


geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #1125
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

I wanna drive Colorado some day.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #1126
urbanlover
Living for the city
 
urbanlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 340
Likes (Received): 115

Wow those are some gorgeous shots.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #1127
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,148
Likes (Received): 790

Wow I need to go to Colorado someday!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #1128
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,528
Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Wow I need to go to Colorado someday!
I actually think drives in Utah are way more spectacular. But I haven't seen central Colorado yet, just southern.
I also like driving in great plains states (Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma). It might not be as spectacular as some western roads in the mountains but somehow those flat, straight, never ending highways have very strong appeal to me. Maybe because it is so different to European roads?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1129
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,148
Likes (Received): 790

I see your point, I love mountains because I am used to boring flat terrain.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:59 AM   #1130
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,245
Likes (Received): 781

I haven't seen enough of the West. So much country - and so much world, too - so little time.... Sigh.

Thanks for the pics!
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:20 AM   #1131
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan
 
xzmattzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 15,652
Likes (Received): 4271

Great pictures from the Plains and the West!
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1132
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I see your point, I love mountains because I am used to boring flat terrain.
Me too.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:17 AM   #1133
Jschmuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 825
Likes (Received): 250

theres a reason why west rhymes with best.
__________________
MilRockee/Madtown/Green Bay
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:55 AM   #1134
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I see your point, I love mountains because I am used to boring flat terrain.
...I love flat terrain because I'm used to boring wrinkly mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
theres a reason why west rhymes with best.
Not everyone from back east is a beast. Some of us are actually nice people.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:59 PM   #1135
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

Virginia has hills, not real mountains.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM   #1136
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,612
Likes (Received): 19400

The highest point of Virginia is 5,729 feet (1,746 m) high, I'd say that's a mountain.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM   #1137
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The highest point of Virginia is 5,729 feet (1,746 m) high, I'd say that's a mountain.
I would agree that in Virginia is that a mountain perhaps, but there are places in the world where such altitude would be considered deep depression. Everything is relative...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:53 AM   #1138
ScraperDude
lagom
 
ScraperDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,489
Likes (Received): 129

[QUOTE=nerdly_dood;78802212]...I love flat terrain because I'm used to boring wrinkly mountains.

I second that! I grew up in the mountains of East Kentucky and couldn't wait to live in open flat land where I could see more of the sky. However the mountains provide perfect winding roads for curve hugging speed. IE: KY 80 near the VA line on the rim of the gorge.
__________________
One world. One race. The Human race
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:11 AM   #1139
State of the Union
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I would agree that in Virginia is that a mountain perhaps, but there are places in the world where such altitude would be considered deep depression. Everything is relative...
Agreed, I live in California and the summer camp I went to when I was a kid alone was way higher than that. 6,000 feet is nothing out here.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM   #1140
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The highest point of Virginia is 5,729 feet (1,746 m) high, I'd say that's a mountain.
I've been there. You can't drive, and there aren't any trees either, only grass, rocks and hikers. Mostly grass.

edit: I think it might be useful to mention that any place in Virginia that doesn't have something man-made on it, such as a Wal-Mart, someone's yard, a farm, or a lake, is invariably covered in trees... except the top of Mt. Rogers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
6,000 feet is nothing out here.
Say that without a car, I dare ya.

Last edited by nerdly_dood; June 2nd, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
united states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium