daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #101
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
It must have been fine to drive the route with not so much traffic and a scenery like that. Cliffs in the back reminds me a bit my home country part.. How about gas stations, rest areas on the route. Are there some between Fairbanks and Valdez?
There are lots of parking spots and rest areas, but there isn't really a difference between them. Restaurants can be found in the villages. Gas stations are ok. They often look very old and unused, but they work. I think the biggest difference between gas stations I've seen is about 70 miles, between Paxson and Glennallen (on the Dalton it is 240 miles ). The gas prices are very different. In Anchorage you pay about $4,30 per gallon, in Paxson $4,70 and in Healy even $5,09.

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #102
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
There are lots of parking spots and rest areas, but there isn't really a difference between them. Restaurants can be found in the villages. Gas stations are ok. They often look very old and unused, but they work. I think the biggest difference between gas stations I've seen is about 70 miles, between Paxson and Glennallen (on the Dalton it is 240 miles ). The gas prices are very different. In Anchorage you pay about $4,30 per gallon, in Paxson $4,70 and in Healy even $5,09.
Gas price is still something we can dream about, nice to heard that even on this remote track is highway infrastructure so you can smoothly ride and enjoy the trip.
Thank you for the nice report and information.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #103
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
How about the I-75 near Sault Ste. Marie at the Canadian border?
That is 4-lanes as well.
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #104
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
How about the I-75 near Sault Ste. Marie at the Canadian border?
I-75 officially ends south of the USCustoms checkpoint and the bridge authority's tollgate - it is four lanes at that point.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #105
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Gas price is still something we can dream about, nice to heard that even on this remote track is highway infrastructure so you can smoothly ride and enjoy the trip.
Thank you for the nice report and information.
Thanks
The gas price wasn't a very big problem for me. In the Netherlands we still pay about $8,40 per gallon.
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #106
Timon91
Error

Ok guys, the last batch of Alaska pictures. Valdez-Anchorage on the 11th of August. Distance: 300 miles. It took me about 10 hours, but I stopped very much. A town like Copper Center really takes you back 50 years in time.
Pictures over here

The route:
[IMG]http://i36.************/6i42lj.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

What's so ugly about Anchorage?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #108
Timon91
Error

There's nothing there. Not even a city centre. It is very widespread (areawise the biggest city of North America). Nothing seems flourishing, there's no history. And because there are hardly any high buildings, it is very difficult to orientate. The city is build as a grid, but to get around you still need a very good city map, because almost everything is one way. The North terminal of the airport is ugly, small, old and only has a very small arrivals section. When I was there there was a huge mountain of luggage laying there, since lots of flights had been cancelled due to volcanic ash clouds. The south terminal is quite new and ok though. Same counts for Fairbanks. And almost every other town in Alaska. Some towns in the southeast, like Valdez, Skagway, Copper Center and Ketchikan are nice though.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #109
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
Ok guys, the last batch of Alaska pictures. Valdez-Anchorage on the 11th of August. Distance: 300 miles. It took me about 10 hours, but I stopped very much. A town like Copper Center really takes you back 50 years in time.
Wow, 300 miles in 10 hours? I go 420-450 miles in 7.5- 8 hours, though mostly on freeways.
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #110
Timon91
Error

Yes, but I really stopped a lot. In Copper Center I stopped for about 1½ hours, I had a big lunch break, and I had to wait about 20 minutes at a traffic light for road works. And the 7 miles of road works took another half hour (freaking pilot car). Besides that, I stopped at lots of 'scenic views', costing lots of time. By the way, I had to do it this slow, since my plane left at 1:30 am next day, so I had all day to get from Valdez to Anchorage.
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice video of scenic US 52 in Virginia in the Appalachian Mts.

Old August 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #112
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Thursday and yesterday I drove up GA 400 north of Atlanta for the first time in a while (Google link with recent photos here). As with so many other freeways in Atlanta, the median has been completely paved over and a concrete median barrier added to expand the roadways from the former two or three lanes in each direction to four from GA 140/ Holcomb Bridge Road to McFarland Road. There's something unusual, though: Northbound there are four lanes throughout, but southbound the right lane is used only as an auxilliary lane between interchanges-- between each offramp and onramp, it's closed to traffic.

The interchange at McFarland Road was rebuilt within the last few years to widen the bridge and add the loop ramp. Since I was in a company vehicle with GPS tracking I only went as far north as Windward Parkway on my latest trip, but now I'm curious as to how the two added lanes are terminated at McFarland Road. Prolly one each drop off at each of the two offramps, which would mean that traffic entering 400 northbound at Windward Parkway would have to merge, then change lanes twice to continue north on 400.

Two more fun facts about this stretch of 400:

A few years ago, the asphalt shoulders were replaced with heavier-duty concrete ones so that GRTA express buses could run on them during rush hours. Soon after this was done, GDOT began the mainline widening and used the new transit shoulders as a detour for all traffic.

And...

GA 400 is also US 19 except for the toll segment, but absolutely no one calls it that-- it's 400.
Lenox Road exit (top) and Buckhead MARTA Station (bottom,right) with tracks running down the center of GA400
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marklarson/2506537447/

GA 400 through the trees
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geneen/1582480637/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/geneen/1583358108/

Approaching Perimeter Center on GA 400
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flc/26924294/

GA 400 Toll Plaza
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wademunday/2548631900/
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #113
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Denver Beltway

For some reason, Interstate 470 was never constructed. Instead we now have E-470, a toll highway that spans the eastern half of the supposed-to-be beltway and Colorado 470 (C-470 by locals) that takes up the western half. Both highways have yet to form a complete beltway as the northwest segment has yet to be built.
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic volumes on the Colorado 470 are still very low, especially the northeastern quadrant. Maybe that increases with the growth of Aurora, one of the largest suburbs in the United States. (312,000 inhabitants versus the 588,000 of Denver itself).
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #115
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Timon great Alaska pictures.I did your trip and more in 1999. now you have inspired me to scan my old style pics and post them here.
I guess your trip up the Dalton Highway took you as far as Deadhorse.I have friends who own a camp on the edge of the ANWR east of Deadhorse (only way in , fly)
Have a look at their web site ' Kavik River Camp '
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #116
Timon91
Error

No, unfortunately I didn't go any further than the Arctic Circle. I'm looking forward to your pictures
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #117
Timon91
Error

Ok guys, some other pictures from the US, I'm a little later with posting them, I hope you don't mind. The pictures are mainly from route 2 in Massachusetts. The report starts near Swanzey, New Hampshire, and ends in Boston, MA. Pictures are over here. The route:
[IMG]http://i36.************/288o7ea.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #118
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
There's nothing there. Not even a city centre. It is very widespread (areawise the biggest city of North America). Nothing seems flourishing, there's no history. And because there are hardly any high buildings, it is very difficult to orientate. The city is build as a grid, but to get around you still need a very good city map, because almost everything is one way. The North terminal of the airport is ugly, small, old and only has a very small arrivals section. When I was there there was a huge mountain of luggage laying there, since lots of flights had been cancelled due to volcanic ash clouds. The south terminal is quite new and ok though. Same counts for Fairbanks. And almost every other town in Alaska. Some towns in the southeast, like Valdez, Skagway, Copper Center and Ketchikan are nice though.
Having lived in Anchorage for two years, I would say you mostly got it right.
There is a downtown with several mid-rise buildings, about what you would expect of other lower 48 cities of similar population. There is a decent sized downtown shopping mall, and a smattering of decent restaurants. As for being the biggest city in land area in the US, I will take your word for it, but I would say most of that land is undeveloped. And as for getting around, yes a lot of one-ways, but not especially complicated once you learn the main arterials. The airport has been modernized, but as you said, there are remnants of the old terminal still being used.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #119
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice parking garage near SeaTac airport, with 8 twisters.
[IMG]http://i37.************/qye39k.jpg[/IMG]

Better than those parking lots which are almost the same size as the entire airport. (You see that in the Midwest often).
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #120
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 59 heading for Houston. (this pic is actually taken in the middle of an urbanized area)

Tags
united states