daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #1221
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip then.

Anyways great pics, it makes me want to check out the Upper Peninsula of Michigan someday.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #1222
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19125

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Sounds like you enjoyed your trip then.

Anyways great pics, it makes me want to check out the Upper Peninsula of Michigan someday.
I found Upper and Lower Michigan very interesting. More even than I anticipated. It became one of my favorite states.

Now few remaining photos of highways, this time Ohio.
Kilka ujec z Ohio
American roads signs are very logical and easy to follow. For some reasons I love taking pictures of them

Some of the county highways west of Toledo

It's really easy to navigate with good map. As I am a map geek I refuse to use satnav

border Ohio and Michigan in the middle of nowhere

US Hwy 20

geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #1223
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Geogregor, you take great photos when you are out on the road. I am really enjoying these sets.
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #1224
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Geogregor, you take great photos when you are out on the road. I am really enjoying these sets.
Thanks.
I just had a look at your website. Impressive bank of images. I'm way to lazy to do so many of them
Beside I'm in USA usually on holiday so try to do not only driving all the time
Last set from this trip
Ohio and Indiana border region
Each state has its own toll road for I-80/I-90

I had all day to get to Chicago sa I chose some US and Indiana highways.
I was surprised by the amount of truck traffic on US20 and US6. Do truckers use them as free alternative to tolled I-80/I-90??

Movie shot

It's amazing how empty some roads can be so close to Chicago, here around Indiana Dunes

I've seen two designs for Indiana highways. Do they use both or one is new?

More and more roundabouts appear in the US

Wisconsin builds probably most of all the states. On the official state highway map there is even feature how to drive them. Strange thing for European

And that will be all from this year.

Last edited by geogregor; October 6th, 2011 at 03:38 AM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #1225
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Yes, very nice photos indeed.

About Indiana route markers: I thought the rectangle with just the number and the word "Indiana" was what they were using these days (although I've not actually been in the state in many years). I have, somewhere, a reprint Rand McNally did (probably in 1974) of their 1926 road atlas. (The occasion was the 50th anniversary of the first one, but they couldn't find a '24 or '25. ) That atlas has marker illustrations and shows Indiana using a state outline at the time, if I'm not mistaken. So maybe they've recently gone retro, or decided to use something that's less boring and doesn't look like what's used in Illinois.... Did you see lots of those or was it a one-off?

I've asked the question at AARoads, with a link to your post. Hope you don't mind.
http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5394.0

And I approve highly of map-geekery. Remind me, are you the one who works at Stanfords?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #1226
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3574

Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct Demolition

End of an era indeed. Announcement from the Washington State Department of Transportation:

Commemorative walk on the viaduct -- Oct. 22

When the Alaskan Way Viaduct closes for nine days starting Oct. 21, it will signal the end of an era as crews begin to demolish the structure's southern mile. The public is invited to watch firsthand as this historic event unfolds and participate in a rare walk on the viaduct.

For a few hours on Saturday, Oct. 22, the public can walk onto the top deck of the viaduct’s south end, enjoy great views of the city from the structure that helped shape Seattle’s waterfront, and watch as crews continue demolishing large sections of the viaduct in SODO.

Public demolition event
Saturday, Oct. 22
9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - Walk on the viaduct
1 to 2 p.m. – Local elected officials will make remarks to celebrate this major milestone.
Construction area north of 1051 First Ave. S.
No RSVPs are required, but some restrictions apply. Please wear sturdy shoes and be prepared for late October weather. No pets or bicycles are allowed onsite. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. The event will be ADA accessible. Parking is available on adjacent city streets and in nearby pay lots.

www.alaskanwayviaduct.org

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Ginkgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #1227
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Wisconsin builds probably most of all the states. On the official state highway map there is even feature how to drive them. Strange thing for European
Roundabouts have only recently begun to appear in the US, hence why alot of people in the US are still unfamiliar with them, however more and more states have been installing them usually by converting them from 3 or 4-way stop sign intersections.
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #1228
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Roundabouts have only recently begun to appear in the US, hence why alot of people in the US are still unfamiliar with them, however more and more states have been installing them usually by converting them from 3 or 4-way stop sign intersections.
I hate those... they are confusing and more dangerous. You have to be very careful both watching yourself and keeping an eye on others who decide not to yield.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #1229
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
End of an era indeed. Announcement from the Washington State Department of Transportation:

Commemorative walk on the viaduct -- Oct. 22

When the Alaskan Way Viaduct closes for nine days starting Oct. 21, it will signal the end of an era as crews begin to demolish the structure's southern mile. The public is invited to watch firsthand as this historic event unfolds and participate in a rare walk on the viaduct.

For a few hours on Saturday, Oct. 22, the public can walk onto the top deck of the viaduct’s south end, enjoy great views of the city from the structure that helped shape Seattle’s waterfront, and watch as crews continue demolishing large sections of the viaduct in SODO.

Public demolition event
Saturday, Oct. 22
9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - Walk on the viaduct
1 to 2 p.m. – Local elected officials will make remarks to celebrate this major milestone.
Construction area north of 1051 First Ave. S.
No RSVPs are required, but some restrictions apply. Please wear sturdy shoes and be prepared for late October weather. No pets or bicycles are allowed onsite. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. The event will be ADA accessible. Parking is available on adjacent city streets and in nearby pay lots.

www.alaskanwayviaduct.org
Some pictures of work on the SR99 bypass in downtown Seattle:

image hosted on flickr

Bypass lanes under viaduct-1 by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SR 99 construction bypass northbound lanes by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SR 99 construction bypass and ramp looking south by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Construction bypass from above by WSDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Side by side views by WSDOT, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #1230
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Did you see lots of those or was it a one-off?
I've seen only two or three state outline signs, all in close proximity to Chicago metropolis. But to be honest it's hard to judge for me as I spent only one day in Indiana and only in the very northern part of it.

Quote:
I've asked the question at AARoads, with a link to your post. Hope you don't mind.
http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5394.0
I don't mind at all.

Quote:
And I approve highly of map-geekery. Remind me, are you the one who works at Stanfords?
Yep, that's me indeed

Are they demolishing all Alaskan Viaduct or only part of it?
How about the planned tunnel? Any updates?

EDIT: don't worry about the last question, I found the website

Last edited by geogregor; October 6th, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #1231
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
I hate those... they are confusing and more dangerous. You have to be very careful both watching yourself and keeping an eye on others who decide not to yield.
Appearance is not always reality...
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1232
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Exactly, I love roundabouts and I think that if people learned to use them properly they would be great replacements for some traffic signaled intersections. It would be great instead of sitting 3-5 minutes at a light on some of the artery roads here I could just slow down make my way through or turn on a roundabout and keep going without stopping.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #1233
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Exactly

Believe it or not roundabouts are safer than normal intersections since it reduces the risk of a head on or right angle collision. Plus vehicles using a roundabout are travelling at a slower speed compared with your normal four way intersection.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1234
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
US Hwy 41 getting close to Copper Harbor.
Fantastic drive for Mustang

What's the deal with those 'No Passing Zone' signs? The line markings say its legal to overtake but the signs say no?
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1235
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Quote:
Exactly

Believe it or not roundabouts are safer than normal intersections since it reduces the risk of a head on or right angle collision. Plus vehicles using a roundabout are travelling at a slower speed compared with your normal four way intersection.
Yep, this is what traffic engineers in Europe see as "those dumb Americans who never really learned how to drive". It's known fact that roundabouts are much safer than intersections and the American traffic fatality rate is much higher than elsewhere in the developed world.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #1236
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
What's the deal with those 'No Passing Zone' signs? The line markings say its legal to overtake but the signs say no?
If you look carefully the "No Passing Zone" sign is where solid yellow line starts for the lane traveling in the direction of the sign.
It's on the left hand side of the road to emphasize message for drivers. On the right there is white sign "Do Not Pass"
In some states you have only yellow triangle on the left, in some only the white signs, Michigan uses both.
With rumble strips, passing lanes, good signing, generally good surface, I have to say Michigan has much better road than I expected. Definitely better than Illinois.
I also realized that when we move north in the state, the roads (especially surface) are getting better.

Last edited by geogregor; October 6th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #1237
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
If you look carefully the "No Passing Zone" sign is where solid yellow line starts for the lane traveling in the direction of the sign.
Forgot about right-hand drive, my apologies.

Different question - why do they need signs if the line markings already say that?!
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1238
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Thats not true , the Northeastern states have had Roundabouts in all shapes and sizes since the beginning of roads...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #1239
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Except there's this whole debate about the difference between "traffic circles" like New Jersey has (Massachusetts calls them "rotaries"), and "roundabouts," which are (so I'm told) smaller and handled differently.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=254301

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5360.0

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #1240
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Now I know that Michigan is not a flat state, but hilly with curvy roads. It's presumably more fun to drive here, than in Texas ?

The autumn landscape, birches and other vegetation looks very scandinavian to me, probably the weather too.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states