daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #1321
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I hate roundabouts.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #1322
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I hate roundabouts.
That's your prerogative, but decades of experience worldwide proves that roundabouts save lives and prevent injuries and reduce property damage on an impressive scale. OTOH, one could say that about gun control, too...
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1323
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
That's your prerogative, but decades of experience worldwide proves that roundabouts save lives and prevent injuries and reduce property damage on an impressive scale. OTOH, one could say that about gun control, too...
He's probably just not used to them. I don't mind them one bit, just observe and obey the yield sign, turn right, then turn left, then turn right again, and you're on your way. Pretty simple. The complicated bit is how to use turn signals, to which I respond by not bothering with them.

...and what's that about guns? Guns are cool man.

edit: What in the hell?! Where'd that double french fries tag come from?
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1324
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
They still think this if they don't read signs carefully. Chicago cops make a killing giving speeding tickets to out-of-state drivers who think the speed limit on Cicero Avenue is 50 when Cicero Avenue is actually state route 50.
At first I didn't understand this, because I thought 50 (km/h) is a reasonably speed limit. Then I remembered the US does not use kilometers, so now I know that those out-of-state drivers where caught at 80 km/h! (50 mph) Seriously, Illinois should take out the square design for its routes (And the other states, and the same for those who use a circle design) and start using another style.

Quote:
I hate roundabouts.
Then don't come to Huesca, we have 36 of them.

Again, silly Americans that don't know how to drive through a roundabout.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #1325
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

I was just in Illinois for a few days, and I don't see how anyone can confuse this: http://www.canhighways.com/IL/IL/56/...-finley_rd.jpg
for this: http://www.talkingtraffic.org/wp-con...mit%20Sign.jpg
unless they're so distracted they shouldn't be driving.

American speed limit signs always, always actually say "speed limit" like that.

And since we're not using circular speed limit signs, the states that have circular route markers aren't a problem.

Although, since we're apparently a country populated by "silly" people.... :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 20th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #1326
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I was just in Illinois for a few days, and I don't see how anyone can confuse this: http://www.canhighways.com/IL/IL/56/...-finley_rd.jpg
unless they're so distracted they shouldn't be driving.:-P
This describes about half the people on the road at any given time.

As for confusing speed limit with the route number, I wouldn't be surprised if people just glance at a white rectangular sign with small words over large numbers and assume the large number is the speed limit. You're probably assuming that they actually read the words. A quick glance at that Illinois Route 56, as quick as most drivers give signs, would make them think that sign says the speed limit is 55. The sign in the background that actually says what the the speed limit is just confuses them.

I much prefer Virginia's signs, or pretty much any design that can't reasonably be confused with speed limits. See this page.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1327
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

My objection to rectangular route markers is, they're boring.

Virginia may have the best directional signage in the country. I particularly like this sort of thing, with its near-European level of informativeness: http://www.upstatenyroads.com/images/DSCF0237.jpg
Pennsylvania doesn't give distances to upcoming places consistently at all, and don't hold your breath waiting for any place farther than the next midsized town.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 21st, 2011, 05:38 AM   #1328
ForteTwo
Quadragintaduologist

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Seriously, Illinois should take out the square design for its routes (And the other states, and the same for those who use a circle design) and start using another style.
If I remember correctly, Illinois used to have the state outline as the shield, like GA, MO, AR an others. I would like to see a Florida- or Oklahoma-style shield for Illinois (not to mention the return of a SR-42!).
ForteTwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM   #1329
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Illinois did have the state outline, as did Indiana. Both have switched to the rectangle with the name of the state on the top. The problem, with states that are longer north-to-south than east-to-west, would be fitting longer numbers in. (Alabama's solution to this is really ugly, at least to someone who knows what the state is in fact shaped like: http://lh6.ggpht.com/-xRGu2kdLBOg/S6...w/IMG_0094.JPG )

The Florida solution - an outline of the state on a white background so the number can overflow it ( http://cache.virtualtourist.com/8/36...er_Florida.jpg ) - might be a good idea.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM   #1330
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
I hate roundabouts.
Most of the time, a roundabout improves traffic flow and reduces accidents/fatalities.

However, U.S. Highway 12 between Baraboo and Wisconsin Dells (WI) has been upgraded to a freeway, and every exit is a standard diamond with a roundabout on either side. This means that many drivers have to go through two roundabouts in quick succession, and a fair number of semi-trucks have to navigate them as well. Having driven a tractor-trailer, I can say that while it's certainly possible to take a roundabout for a straight-through or left turn situation, it's also annoying, as drivers will often cut into the left lane where you need space to ride the trailer apron.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 01:38 PM   #1331
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19169

Quote:
Illinois did have the state outline, as did Indiana. Both have switched to the rectangle with the name of the state on the top. The problem, with states that are longer north-to-south than east-to-west, would be fitting longer numbers in. (Alabama's solution to this is really ugly, at least to someone who knows what the state is in fact shaped like: http://lh6.ggpht.com/-xRGu2kdLBOg/S6...w/IMG_0094.JPG )

The Florida solution - an outline of the state on a white background so the number can overflow it ( http://cache.virtualtourist.com/8/36...er_Florida.jpg ) - might be a good idea.
Aaaa... so now I know which Indiana shields are the newer ones. I've seen both of them during my recent trip there. Mostly rectangular ones but few with the state outline as well.
I love Florida shield, really cool and clever design. In general I like the unusual state highways shields. Utah, Washington State, North Dakota, Idaho, Louisiana, Kansas, Minnesota, FM roads in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, are all my favorites.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1332
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Apparently, you were at one of the few places in Indiana where state-shaped markers can be seen, and the geeks at AARoads think it's a mistake by a contractor.

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5394.0

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.p...1271#msg111271

When I said that Illinois and Indiana "have switched" to the rectangular ones, I should perhaps have just said "switched," because we're talking decades ago.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1333
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Eh, peculiarities of English language
That's how we keep foreigners on their toes. ;-)

EDIT:
Now how'd that happen? Posted this at 2:45 p.m. ET and it inserted above the post I was replying to, with the wrong time.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #1334
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Aaaa... so now I know which Indiana shields are the newer ones. I've seen both of them during my recent trip there. Mostly rectangular ones but few with the state outline as well.
I love Florida shield, really cool and clever design. In general I like the unusual state highways shields. Utah, Washington State, North Dakota, Idaho, Louisiana, Kansas, Minnesota, FM roads in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, are all my favorites.
Being a native Californian, I have a personal preference for California's state route shields. If I'm not mistaken, California is the only state that uses a cutout route shield and does not adhere to the national MUTCD guidelines that state route shields should be predominately black and white and rectangular.

Example...

Image from the AARoads gallery

Note: California's US route shields are also cutouts where the rest of the nation puts the shield on in a black square or rectangle.

Edit: The time stamp for this post is 5:05 AM... what time zone are the post times based on? It was a little after 12:00 noon local time (pacific daylight time) when made this post... strange!

Edit 2: The time stamp at the bottom of my post indicating that I edited my post is showing the correct time. How doubly strange!

Last edited by myosh_tino; October 22nd, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1335
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19169

Quote:
Apparently, you were at one of the few places in Indiana where state-shaped markers can be seen, and the geeks at AARoads think it's a mistake by a contractor.
Wow, that is a strange mistake. How did they do it??? Was contractor from out of state? I guess all the signs designs must be in the official blueprint for the construction.

Quote:
When I said that Illinois and Indiana "have switched" to the rectangular ones, I should perhaps have just said "switched," because we're talking decades ago.
Eh, peculiarities of English language
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1336
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

The best highway shield I've ever seen was at the intersection of State Highway 111 and US 27 in Florida. Highway 111 crosses into Georgia less than half a mile away, so Florida made a shield for GA 111-- except it was black on a white background instead of white on black. I can't find it on Google Streetview-- I presume it's been stolen.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1337
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

F1 to race on a temporary street course in USA

Starting in 2013, across the Hudson from Manhattan, NYC in Weehawkin and West New York, NJ.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...sey/50897052/1

Truly fascinating!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #1338
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The 'P' in a red circle/slash is the 'NO PARKING' sign used here in the USA.
Mike
They are used here in Canukistan (Canada) too usually with times/days listed underneath.
Quote:
unless they're so distracted they shouldn't be driving.

American speed limit signs always, always actually say "speed limit" like that.

And since we're not using circular speed limit signs, the states that have circular route markers aren't a problem.

Although, since we're apparently a country populated by "silly" people.... :-P
USUALLY, there is MPH underneath the speed limit. The same with speed limits in Canada where KM/H is underneath, unless you're in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec.
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #1339
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
USUALLY, there is MPH underneath the speed limit. The same with speed limits in Canada where KM/H is underneath, unless you're in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec.
Wait... The standard American speed limit sign does not have "MPH" under the numerals. You may be thinking about advisory speed limits on warning signs where in some cases, "MPH" does appear at the bottom of the sign. The sign on the left is a standard speed limit sign. The sign on the right is an advisory ramp speed sign.

On a related note, I thought Canadian speed limits signs only say "MAXIMUM XX"

Last edited by myosh_tino; October 28th, 2011 at 04:06 AM.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states