daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #1521
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan
 
xzmattzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 15,652
Likes (Received): 4272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The new Indian River Inlet Bridge in southern Delaware opened to traffic today. The new cable-stayed span in Highway 1 replaces an older drawbridge north of Bethany Beach.


photo by DelDOT.
Your description seems a little vague, so allow me to elaborate for anyone wanting to know more. The new cable-stayed bridge is replacing an older bridge that was right next to the new one. The new bridge only has a couple lanes open for now, and should be completely ready in time for beach season.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #1522
tradephoric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 91
Likes (Received): 24

Another advantage of Michigan lefts is they can reduce the cycle length that a signal needs to run which can help with coordination:

Here's an example of a typical intersection along a major arterial road in Tampa (County Road 611 & 580):

62 seconds = EB/WB Thru 7 sec walk + [190ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
62 seconds = NB/SB Thru 7 sec walk + [190ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
20 seconds = EB/WB Lefts
20 seconds = NB/SB Lefts
164 seconds = Total required Cycle Length

Here's an example of a typical intersection along a major arterial road in SE Michigan (M-5 & Middlebelt):

21 seconds = EB/WB Thru 7 sec walk + [73ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
21 seconds = NB/SB Thru 7 sec walk + [73ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
42 seconds = Total required Cycle Length

Obviously coordination is dependent on how closely signals are spaced but the more flexibility you have the better. A cycle length of 160 leads to very bad dual coordination when driving a 50 MPH arterial where major intersections are spaced 1-mile apart. Below is a comparison of the number of long pedestrian crossing lengths in Oakland County, MI (Michigan Lefts present along major arterials) vs. Orange County, FL (conventional intersections with dual left turn lanes).

Oakland County, MI (ped crossings greater then 140 ft):


Orange County, FL (ped crossings greater then 140 ft):


Quote:
I use these roads everyday. I find Michigan left turns to be more of a gimmick than anything else. They're also a huge waste of physical space as all that extra land has to be acquired for the medians.
Michigan Left turns work well to improve safety, increase capacity, and improve coordination over a typical intersection design with left turn phases.
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #1523
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

I think Jughandles such as the ones found in New Jersey and Pennsylvania actually work just as well without taking as much excess land (aside from around the intersections). The only problem with this setup is that there need to be signs indicating that all turns need to be made from the right lane, otherwise motorists will get confused.



diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #1524
tradephoric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 91
Likes (Received): 24

For those who have no idea what a Michigan Left turn is, here's a good aerial view of one. All left turns are prohibited at the main intersection and must be made at crossovers about 600 feet down the road:
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1525
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I think Jughandles such as the ones found in New Jersey and Pennsylvania actually work just as well without taking as much excess land (aside from around the intersections). The only problem with this setup is that there need to be signs indicating that all turns need to be made from the right lane, otherwise motorists will get confused.



That just seems God awful. I prefer the Michigan Turn to that.

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1526
tradephoric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 91
Likes (Received): 24

I favor intersection designs that eliminate left turn phases at the main intersection. I don't mind jughandles but they often don't eliminate left turn phases at the intersection completely. Often you will see a jughandle be used for just one leg of the intersection with other legs having traditional left turns with left turn phases present.

Jersey lays claim to the jughandle but there are quite a few states that use them (not common in Western USA, one in Vegas and a few in Portland, Oregon):


Here's a link to download the Google KML file of jughandles in America (not very complete.. there are countless Jughandles in New Jersey but was really trying to see how many DIFFERENT states used them):
http://www.mediafire.com/?6lgie1y6deg1dzu
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1527
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,148
Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
I found this video that you posted on youtube and it's a great example of what you're describing. You get the start of green at Sunset Point Road (50 seconds into the video) just to come to a lengthy red light at 10th street (1min 25sec - 2min):


I-275westcoastfl, do you know how fast this video was sped up? I was curious how long the cycle length the light at 10th street was running.
Thats actually my video lol.. Its 2x speed but this video was made on a Sunday evening when traffic is light and light cycles aren't too long. I'll have to get a video on some of the major artery roads at rush hour, not too fun.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
Another advantage of Michigan lefts is they can reduce the cycle length that a signal needs to run which can help with coordination:

Here's an example of a typical intersection along a major arterial road in Tampa (County Road 611 & 580):

62 seconds = EB/WB Thru 7 sec walk + [190ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
62 seconds = NB/SB Thru 7 sec walk + [190ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
20 seconds = EB/WB Lefts
20 seconds = NB/SB Lefts
164 seconds = Total required Cycle Length

Here's an example of a typical intersection along a major arterial road in SE Michigan (M-5 & Middlebelt):

21 seconds = EB/WB Thru 7 sec walk + [73ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
21 seconds = NB/SB Thru 7 sec walk + [73ft / (3.5 ft / sec)]
42 seconds = Total required Cycle Length

Obviously coordination is dependent on how closely signals are spaced but the more flexibility you have the better. A cycle length of 160 leads to very bad dual coordination when driving a 50 MPH arterial where major intersections are spaced 1-mile apart. Below is a comparison of the number of long pedestrian crossing lengths in Oakland County, MI (Michigan Lefts present along major arterials) vs. Orange County, FL (conventional intersections with dual left turn lanes).

Oakland County, MI (ped crossings greater then 140 ft):


Orange County, FL (ped crossings greater then 140 ft):


Michigan Left turns work well to improve safety, increase capacity, and improve coordination over a typical intersection design with left turn phases.
Nice comparisons!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1528
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19410

US 75 in McKinney, Texas gets widened. It's (currently) the northernmost major suburb of Dallas, being 30 miles north of downtown. The widening is of course Texas style, from 4 mainline and 4 frontage to 8 mainline and 6 frontage lanes.
U.S. 75 Expansion Project Kicks Off

Four-year project will add capacity to four-lane highway

McKINNEY – Preparations have begun to reconstruct U.S. 75 (Central Expressway) between Spur 399 (SH 121) and U.S. 380. Orange flags and cones marking utilities to be relocated along the frontage roads signal the start of the four-year project to rebuild Central Expressway. The Contractor, W.W. Webber, LLC, is expected to occupy the corridor today.

The $106 million project will add two lanes in each direction on the mainlanes and one in each direction on the frontage roads giving the highway a total of eight mainlanes and six frontage road lanes. This will add needed capacity in anticipation of staying ahead of the explosive growth in population in Collin County. Listed as one of the fastest growing counties in the nation, Collin County grew by more than 61% between 2000 and 2009.

"Frisco and McKinney are two of the fastest growing cities in the nation and the challenge to meet transportation needs has never been greater," said Barry Heard, P.E., Collin County Interim Area Engineer.

During construction, motorists can expect various mainlane closures during weekdays and some weekends. Several bridges on the project will be demolished and rebuilt. This will necessitate closing mainlanes of traffic and diverting traffic onto frontage roads past the bridge work to the next highway entrance. Every consideration will be given to maintaining traffic flow and to the safety of the traveling public.

This is one of five projects either underway, nearing completion or just starting up on the Central Expressway corridor through McKinney from SH 121 to Melissa Road. This project is expected to be substantially complete in the summer of 2015.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/news/loca...s/011-2012.htm
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1529
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,688
Likes (Received): 17043

__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1530
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19410

Maybe Penn's woods knows what this is.

A four-lane highway dead-ends in the woods of King of Prussia, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM   #1531
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Maybe Penn's woods knows what this is.

A four-lane highway dead-ends in the woods of King of Prussia, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia.

Looks like it was intended to go and intersect with that railroad.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1532
tradephoric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 91
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
I'll have to get a video on some of the major artery roads at rush hour, not too fun.
Hey I-275westcoastfl,

Is there any chance you could drive a major 6-8 lane boulevard that's roughly 10 miles long in both directions during the PM rush? I was thinking a prime candidate would be US 19 from Curlew Rd to Darlington Rd and then back again. It'd make a great comparison to the Telegraph video.... they are both 10 miles long, they are both 6 to 8 lane boulevards, and they both have AADT of over 70,000.

It might be an impossible request but i'd love to see what that drive is like when the signals are running a long cycle length during the PM dial yet where you aren't completely stuck in gridlock traffic. The Telegraph video really focuses on the coordination benefits of Michigan Left turns and it would be hard to make any comparisons when US19 is in gridlock. Basically if you're lucky enough to be driving this stretch of road during the PM rush on a very light traffic day, will it still take you 20 minutes just due to the number of traffic lights you get stuck at.
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:28 AM   #1533
Scba
Registered User
 
Scba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: US
Posts: 1,590
Likes (Received): 1421

Wiki says

"In the 1960s plans were made to construct the Schuylkill Parkway between US Route 422 at the edge of Valley Forge Park and Bridgeport, along the Schuylkill River, to carry PA 23. Construction was started on the Bridgeport end in 1972, but stopped when PennDOT ran out of funds. Recently (c. 2006), traffic studies were funded along the current 23 alignment in Upper Merion Township to see if this bypass should be completed.[5]"
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM   #1534
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,148
Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
Hey I-275westcoastfl,

Is there any chance you could drive a major 6-8 lane boulevard that's roughly 10 miles long in both directions during the PM rush? I was thinking a prime candidate would be US 19 from Curlew Rd to Darlington Rd and then back again. It'd make a great comparison to the Telegraph video.... they are both 10 miles long, they are both 6 to 8 lane boulevards, and they both have AADT of over 70,000.

It might be an impossible request but i'd love to see what that drive is like when the signals are running a long cycle length during the PM dial yet where you aren't completely stuck in gridlock traffic. The Telegraph video really focuses on the coordination benefits of Michigan Left turns and it would be hard to make any comparisons when US19 is in gridlock. Basically if you're lucky enough to be driving this stretch of road during the PM rush on a very light traffic day, will it still take you 20 minutes just due to the number of traffic lights you get stuck at.
Yeah I could probably do that at some point.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1535
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
Wiki says

"In the 1960s plans were made to construct the Schuylkill Parkway between US Route 422 at the edge of Valley Forge Park and Bridgeport, along the Schuylkill River, to carry PA 23. Construction was started on the Bridgeport end in 1972, but stopped when PennDOT ran out of funds. Recently (c. 2006), traffic studies were funded along the current 23 alignment in Upper Merion Township to see if this bypass should be completed.[5]"
Interesting, thanks.

In the same area; you have to take a weird route to get from I-276 to US 422:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #1537
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 963
Likes (Received): 860

US-101, the Hollywood Freeway:






All pics my own.

More pics, and larger versions of the above pics available here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/US/101/
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #1538
hadeer992
Registered User
 
hadeer992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 249
Likes (Received): 11

Dallas 75

Short trip on US-75 in Dallas TX

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j9gxXp0vteM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #1539
hadeer992
Registered User
 
hadeer992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 249
Likes (Received): 11

Dallas US 75

Short trip on US-75 in Dallas TX


hadeer992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1540
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19410

Interesting old ramp at US 101.

It's Barham Boulevard by the way.

The Hollywood Freeway is the most expensive traffic jam in the United States at $ 278 million of financial loss each year (one way!).

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; February 14th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
united states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium