daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2008, 04:07 AM   #141
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

US 1 between Cassatt and Camden, SC: http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=...08841&t=h&z=16. I should've taken a lot more photos on this trip (Durham NC to Warner Robins GA), but this one I doubled back to get.

There's an indentation in the concrete with the inscription SEABOARD-1929. A more modern sign slightly larger than the indentation was made to cover the inscription, but half of it is now gone. Let's take a closer look:

Plenty of overheight truck strikes. This is one of the few bridges in SC without a sign giving the clearance-- or perhaps it got knocked off.

The pavement quality on US 1 is surprisingly bad, but there was little traffic. The lanes were widened some years back-- in the late the 80's, I'd guess-- and there are visible fissures in the asphalt at the edge of the old pavement, more so north of here.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM   #142
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
The biggest danger are the moose actually. Luckily I didn't hit any, but I've seen a few on the roadside.
And what about this suicide gravel road. I was really scared here
[IMG]http://i37.************/3341313.jpg[/IMG]
...now THIS is scary...
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM   #143
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Do you call that scary?
It's not very steep.
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM   #144
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Natcher Parkway near Bowling Green, KY
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:59 AM   #145
Tom 958

I wonder if Kentucky will ever get around to assigning proper route numbers to its parkways-- US 231 for this one, for instance.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They want to sign some parkways in western Kentucky (Pennyrile, Western KY and Purchase Parkways) as I-69.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #147
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They want to sign some parkways in western Kentucky (Pennyrile, Western KY and Purchase Parkways) as I-69.
The federal government signed off on it so it will happen.

Kentucky gets a new interstate by doing no building at all while Indiana spends over $1 billion to get the same thing.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #148
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) has information on line about the *MASSIVE* US 41 upgrades in the Green Bay and Oshkosh-Neenah areas that will be under construction starting in 2010. Definitely check the map and the '7 or 8 interchange' links!

WI 26 (interchange 113) in Oshkosh to Breezewood Ln/Bell St (interchange 129) in Neenah:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/project...sion/index.htm

Scheuring Rd (interchange 161) in De Pere through Green Bay to Lineville Rd (interchange 173) in Howard/Suamico:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/project...rown-index.htm

(These two projects have a total cost of over a half-BILLION dollars and cover a part of US 41 that will be promoted to full interstate status at an undetermined future date.)

Related to the first one is a planned major upgrade project for the US 10/WI 441 freeway in the Appleton/Menasha/Neenah, WI area, including major upgrades to its US 41 interchange (interchange 134) and a new parallel bridge over Little Lake Butte des Morts (Fox River). Its schedule is entirely dependent on funding:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/project...ternatives.htm

Also in the works is upgrading US 41 from Oconto, WI to Peshtigo, WI from two to four lanes, now under way:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/project...onto/index.htm

(This part is NOT planned for promotion to interstate status at this time, but will come just short of completing US 41 as a full free-flowing freeway and expressway from metro Milwaukee to the Michigan state line - only a very congested section of city streets in Marinette, WI will stand in the way. This is due to an unwillingness on the part of MDOT (Michigan Department of Transportation) to do anything with its part of US 41 in Menominee, MI.)

Enjoy!

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; September 25th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #149
Tom 958

Whoa, gettin' heavy into roundabouts! If only my state were so progressive.

OT for this post: I read the debate about whether I-41 was an appropriate designation for US 41 as an Interstate, and I was about ready to say yes. But on my recent rosadtrip through the carolinas, seeing I-74 and US 74 posted on the same roadway almost made me

on my dashboard!
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #150
sotonsi

but the I-/US 74 thing is different. You could consider I-41 to be US41(I) to put in it UK terms (things like A1(M) are the A1 upgraded to motorway designation).

I don't think US41 would be signed on I-41, simply as there's no need. With the 74s in NC, it's different, as the two routes only multiplex briefly, whereas I-41 would be concurrent with US41 if US41 is rerouted a small amount.

I-74 in NC is awful. The whole I-73/I-74 thing is a bit silly - South of the northernmost junction between the two, it could be one of those, rather than being two routes that multiplex several times, with the other bits as 3dis from the other route, or even from things like I-77. I'd go for I-73.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #151
hoosier

INDOT is upgrading U.S. 24 from I-469 east of Fort Wayne to the IN/OH state line. It will be a four lane divided highway with two new interchanges. The entire project will be finished by no later than early 2013. The "Fort to Port" website: http://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/us24/

In addition, the state of Indiana will be building an entriely new SR 25 from Lafayette to Logansport. It will be a four lane divided highway as well. This means that there will eventually be a four lane divided highway connecting Lafayette with Toledo, Ohio by 2014.

The Hoosier Heartland Corridor website (SR 25): http://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/sr25study/

Last edited by hoosier; September 26th, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #152
hoosier

Speaking of U.S. 41, INDOT is also constructing an interstate quality bypass, called SR 641, around Terre Haute from U.S. 41 south of the city to Interstate 70. The first two segments of the road are either built or under construction but the remaining two segments are still in the enviornmental study phase. The funding is in place and the entire road is scheduled to be finished by 2015.

Here is the link to the project website:http://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/sr641/
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #153
Tom 958

US 78, Stone Mountain GA

US 78, Stone Mountain, GA
http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=...,0.144196&z=12

I didn't start out to do a feature about this road-- it kind of just happened.

This is the bridge carrying Julliette Road over US 78, aka the Stone Mountain Freeway. This segment of freeway, from old US 29-78 inside I-285 to the Stone Mountain Park bypass, was opened in 1968. The Stone Mountain Park bypass was built as part of the park in the late '50's.

In the late '50's Georgia started working on both US 78 and US 29 from Atlanta to Athens. The short GA 316 freeway was built to connect I-85 to Lawrenceville and (almost) US 29, and freeway bypasses were built on US 78 at Stone Mountain and Monroe. The northern segment of what eventually became the Athens Perimeter was built at the same time. But then progress all but stopped except for the 1968 section in the above photo.

============================================================

The 1968 Stone Mountain Freeway extension made for a very convenient route to I-285 and Atlanta from southern Gwinnett County, and development exploded there starting in the early '70's. But nothing was done to provide a proper medium-distance highway corridor, so in the mid/late 70's US 78 was widened to five lanes-- two in each direction plus a center turn lane. That was quickly overwhelmed, so in the mid '80s a reversible lane system was installed, providing three lanes in the peak direction, two in the off-peak and a two-way left turn lane. This is actually the last photo I took, just beyond the current construction limits. The reversible lane signs aren't working, but apparently everybody pretty much knows what to do.

Yes, I am in the correct lane, since I'm turning left at the next light-- Hewatt Road, FWIW. It's the afternoon rush, so the other reversible lane is for straight-ahead traffic.

This road seems pretty scary, but statistically it's actually relatively safe. Apparently it's scarier than it is dangerous-- people take extra care, and it generally works out OK.

=========================================================

Obviously the reversible lane wasn't a long-term solution. Various options were discussed-- widening to a 2x4 boulevard, for one. A 1995 study recommended a 2x3 at-grade arterial with a reversible two lane controlled access roadway, elevated or at grade within the nonexistent median. But that would've been really expensive, so nothing was done.

Eventually a minimal proposal was made to install a very narrow concrete barrier and have 2x3 all of the time, plus a few turning lanes where it was cheap to provide them. It was either that or replace to reversible lane signal, which nobody wanted to to. Despite the tiny $13 million price tag, the project languished-- until now.

Here's a view just east of the first at-grade intersection. Development here was done relatively recently, and accel-decel lanes were provided, which are utilized by the new construction. So far, so good.

A bit further east the road narrows to its usual configuration, 2x3 with a minimal barrier.

Here again a bit of extra width was put to intensive use, with left turn pockets leading to a Lowe's on the left and a QuikTrip on the right. Just ahead left lane ends temporarily-- I must credit my fellow motorists for making the merge a lot less road-rage-inducing than I anticipated.
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The most interesting feature isn't on these pictures... The Stone Mountain itself
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #155
Tom985

Likes (Received): 0

It's barely visible in the first photo, above the silver minivan.

Also in that photo, the bridge has that retrofitted suicide fencing I mentioned in an earlier post.
Tom985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #156
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I like the Georgia lane marking
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #157
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The Peach Tree City parkway (Georgia):
[IMG]http://i36.************/2a2q1v.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #158
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

WisDOT choses routing for new US 10 freeway (Stevens Point-Amherst Junction, WI)

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms...786229440.html

The option chosen is the 'HH-PORTER SPLIT, OPTION 1' alternative, the southernmost of the three on the board. This will diverge from existing US 10 just over 1 km west northwest of the current half-diamond interchange (to be removed) on Amherst Junction's west edge (by Lake Emily County Park and head westward to the previously approved free-flow interchange at I-39 just south of County 'HH'.

It does look somewhat strange in that it crosses CN's ex WC, nee SOO mainline twice in such a short distance.

My choice was the middle of the three on the map linked to in the above notice, but I can easily live with this option, too. One change that I would make is to dump the trumpet interchange where it diverges from present US 10, add a diamond interchange at County 'K' and abandon existing US 10 (selling off the ROW) between the diverge and WI 161 (it connects between Skyview and Ridge Rds), directly feeding WI 161 to the east into existing US 10 to the west (towards Stevens Point) with that whole corridor becoming WI 161. I think that this would greatly simplify the layout and save the WisDOT a ton of money.

Construction is expected in the 2025-2035 timeframe, depending on funding.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #159
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Pennsylvania route 44.

image hosted on flickr
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #160
ChrisZwolle
Road user