daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1721
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Here's your reason from the same site:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1264241.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1722
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17038

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Gen Y was a hippie media concept for the generation after Gen X. The name "Millennials" or "The Millennial Generation" is now far more used by demographers to describe this group who were under 18 at the turn of Y2K, but Gen Y has sadly stuck in the media.

I think a large problem is massively high auto insurance for younger drivers and the rising cost of lessons to do the more-difficult tests.
All Generations have always had a name , Baby boomers describe the post WW2 Generation and that is widely used across all media circles. Gen Y tends to be the exact opposite of Gen X or Baby Boomers , were more open minded , think before we do something that will impact the earth or our neighborhoods , and we spend within our boundaries unlike the older generations which is why we entered a recession.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1723
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Here's your reason from the same site:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1264241.html
Part of the reason , but most of my friends who have jobs don't drive that much...its a hassle in this region and others. Cell Phone apps have made using Public Transit very easy and this trend seems to be gaining steam. There's also bike sharing that is growing , and more Younger Americans are becoming very health conscious so walking and biking are becoming very popular over driving even in the suburbs. Public Transit Ridership is up by 15% in some areas since last year.
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Public Transit Ridership is up by 15% in some areas since last year.
They have a saying; percentages don't mean anything when the numbers are insignificant.
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1725
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

Nexis, do you or most of your friends have your own households, children to take to school and extracurricular activities, big grocery shopping etc?
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1726
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Nexis, do you or most of your friends have your own households, children to take to school and extracurricular activities, big grocery shopping etc?
They have there own apartments , most have moved out of there parents home. Having Children isn't as big a thing as it once was with the baby boomers its also expensive so most of my friends including myself are holding off.. As for activities and events they tend to be in the heart of the town or city so using a car isn't recommended instead biking or walking is faster and better. Alot of my friends who stayed in the burbs moved to a dense suburb or older suburb where using a car is option those towns were built before the car and around the pedestrian or Train... define Big Grocery shopping , 6-8 bags is what I by for myself and that lasts a month... Its probably the same for them...and this can be done by bike. Alot of the older suburbs have stores and shops that catered to people on bikes , with bike parking...and alot of people have baskets these days attached to their bikes. A Basket can hold 2 bags , some of my friends attach trailers to there bikes for bigger shopping sprees.

Last edited by Nexis; July 4th, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1727
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
They have there own apartments , most have moved out of there parents home. Having Children isn't as big a thing as it once was with the baby boomers its also expensive so most of my friends including myself are holding off.. As for activities and events they tend to be in the heart of the town or city so using a car isn't recommended instead biking or walking is faster and better. Alot of my friends who stayed in the burbs moved to a dense suburb or older suburb where using a car is option those towns were built before the car and around the pedestrian or Train... define Big Grocery shopping , 2-3 bags is what I by for myself and that lasts a month... Its probably the same for them...and this can be done by bike. Alot of the older suburbs have stores and shops that catered to people on bikes , with bike parking...and alot of people have baskets these days attached to their bikes. A Basket can hold 2 bags , some of my friends attach trailers to there bikes for bigger shopping sprees.
I don't even think this guy is real anymore

Just a droid created by the left to spew their agenda
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1728
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2 - 3 bags of shopping lasting a month? Does he live on a diet of chewing gum?
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1729
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanx06 View Post
I agree - the Schulykill would have been much better with 8 lanes, but seems limited by topography from US 1 to I-476. Not to mention its ancient design falls well below current standards.

It seems that US-1 in the NE part of the city could be easily transformed to a freeway, notwithstanding funding. The Roosevelt Expwy gives way to a dual carriageway with at-grade junctions (some of which constitute the most dangerous intersections in the US). Plenty of space to reconfigure the inner lanes with grade-separated junctions.
They proposed one in the '60s but revisited the idea as recently as the past ten years:
http://www.phillyroads.com/roads/roosevelt/

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #1730
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
I don't even think this guy is real anymore

Just a droid created by the left to spew their agenda
LOL , what I don't eat that much. 2-3 large bags , I have a stock pile of food in my closet. So 2-3 bags , plus enough food to last 6 months.... I do just fine. I changed my diet.... As for a left agenda , I thought this site was neutral? I should have said that different , I do shop twice a month which is about the same as most single people. So 6-8 bags a month... We have these kinds of Conversations on a daily basis on Skyscraperpage , Ive never been accused of pushing a left agenda.... Now i'm going to take a few week break from this part of SSC....

Last edited by Nexis; July 5th, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1731
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Not every adult wants 2.3 kids with a white picket fence surrounding a 5 bedroom house in the suburbs, Suburbanist. Despite your insistence that this is who Governments should appease, not all of us want to live like that.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, walkable distance to my office in the CBD. I have trams and two train stations within 5 minutes' walk and I don't need a car, so I don't have one.

Stop thinking that you know what the world wants and needs, because you don't.
Old July 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #1732
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

I'm not saying that. My position is that the market should create housing of whatever type where there is demand. If there is sufficient enough demand for higher buildings, developers will build them. And I'm ok with that. I have no problems with tram or train lines if the operational and capital costs of running the vehicles (not the infrastructure) is totally paid off by fares.

What I'm not ok with is this anti-highway mode that wants to restrict highway construction or even destroy highways to force people to live in higher density areas - because else they'd have no way to commute to long-distance jobs.
Old July 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1733
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Not every adult wants 2.3 kids with a white picket fence surrounding a 5 bedroom house in the suburbs, Suburbanist. Despite your insistence that this is who Governments should appease, not all of us want to live like that.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, walkable distance to my office in the CBD. I have trams and two train stations within 5 minutes' walk and I don't need a car, so I don't have one.

Stop thinking that you know what the world wants and needs, because you don't.
Whoa, defensive much?

As often as I find some of Suburbanist's opinions off-base, I don't think he was too far off on this one with the point he was trying to make.

The walkable/bikeable, carless urban lifestyle doesn't fit everyone's mold either... especially those who do have kids to shuttle around and groceries to buy for more than one person. It's much easier if you only have yourself to worry about.

(Of course, what this has to do with 5-level stacks in Texas, I don't quite know... )

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1734
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
"That moment of realizing that you're a grown-up - for my generation, that was when you got your driver's license or car," said Tony Dudzik, a senior policy analyst of the Frontier Group, a California-based think tank that has studied this phenomenon. "For young people now, that moment comes when you get your first cellphone."
Young people often get their first cellphones when they are 7 or 8 years old. I know kids 5-6 years old who got their first cells (albeit restricted).
Are they grown-up??
Seriously, sometimes when I read all those so-called "policy analysts" I wonder who is paying them and for what?

Going back to transport policy. There is place in the US for both models. Dense urban environment in some cities, suburbs in others. Often both models can coexist in the same metropolitan area. There isn't a one perfect model of development. Both have pros and cons and both appeal to different people or to the same people but at different stage in life.

I honestly don't get all this hype for one model or another.
For me people wetting themselves seeing a tram are as ridiculous as those wetting themselves seeing a 5 level stack.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1735
sotonsi

Quote:
All Generations have always had a name ,
Yes, until Y where the media just defines us as the generation after X. Not that we, nor the generation younger than us (the oldest of which is 10), don't have generational names.
Quote:
Baby boomers describe the post WW2 Generation and that is widely used across all media circles.
And among demographers "Millennials" is widely used, but the media insists on using it's lame term (tbh "Millennial" is a bit lame - something like the connected generation defines us a bit, but those who are still pre-teens that got that kind of moniker).
Quote:
Gen Y tends to be the exact opposite of Gen X or Baby Boomers , were more open minded , think before we do something that will impact the earth or our neighborhoods , and we spend within our boundaries unlike the older generations which is why we entered a recession.
Actually all that is a myth - that's what Millennials want to do and the image we try to project, but studies are showing that the reality is different.

We are, as a generation, more homogeneous politically, religiously, and other view-the-world things than the two(+) that proceed us. Our 'open mind' is really indifference - though when we care, we're very intolerant of other views (that could just be our youth). We're actually more self-centred in our motives than our forebears, though we are more 'green' than them - if for no other reason than have had it hammered into us since birth.

We are also rather in-debt (those of us that have become old enough to reach that landmark) as a generation - part of that is the costs of higher education, part of that is the cheap credit that we've had all our adult lives (the real cause of the recession is that we had the boom fuelled by government and central banks making credit cheap and incentivising banks to lend to sub-prime clients - too much borrowing is a symptom of the problem, which was that the boom was artificial - money out of nowhere). However we are less happy about being in debt - we took the lessons of the sub-prime collapse more than those older than us.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #1736
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Yo keep all that liberal, bike riding, urban living, granola munching, Barack Obama shit off this thread.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #1737
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Wow.

All I suggested was a balanced approached - one that includes freeways, but out of the way along with transit - and everyone gets their panties all in a bunch.

People in SOME places are changing their lifestyles - just from simple observation it's certainly clear here in Cali. Here is a good relevant thread on Skyscraper Page showing the recent trends in transit share in the US: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=200301 Note how different the Sunbelt changes from the Coast Regions.

Now everyone take a deep breath and relax. I think we all generally agree that we need a balance of both roads and transit - let's start with the common ground.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #1738
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

This is a thread dedicated to highway infrastructure FFS

We discuss the physics and mechanics of them, not whether they're good or bad. There are a million other threads for that
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1739
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10402

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
NY, NJ and other freeways across the country are falling apart.
It is so nice to drive on good pavement and good freways
I rather pay to drive on something good than pay to cross those new york Tunnels are old and ugly. they need to be rebuild entirely.
You do realize that it would cost in the tens of billions for New York to totally rebuild those tunnels right.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1740
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Yo keep all that liberal, bike riding, urban living, granola munching, Barack Obama shit off this thread.
Reported.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states