daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1741
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
You do realize that it would cost in the tens of billions for New York to totally rebuild those tunnels right.
They don't care.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1742
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
This is a thread dedicated to highway infrastructure FFS

We discuss the physics and mechanics of them, not whether they're good or bad. There are a million other threads for that
Oh, really? Your position on the good-or-bad thing is about as clear, and about as politely-stated, as Paddington's.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1686
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #1743
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

I read some states are aggressively closing rest areas on Interstates to save money. They allege there are often enough services on exits to cater for traveler needs and that DOT is overburdened with a tighter budget to keep non-essential elements of highway network functioning.

Is this only a Missouri thing or a sort of national trend
Old July 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1744
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It's happening, but it's not widespread. I've come across welcome centers - the sort of tourist information center you find at the first rest area across a state line - that are on reduced hours (Maryland, Michigan...), at least one (Rhode Island) that's reportedly closed... and brand-new ones, open long hours, Tea Party governor notwithstanding, in Pennsylvania.
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1745
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
You do realize that it would cost in the tens of billions for New York to totally rebuild those tunnels right.
well something should be done.
This is the greatest nation on Earth, We spend billions of billions in Iraq.
Why can't we have a state of the art infrastructure?

do you realize how rich is New York? or California?
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1746
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
Do you realise how rich is ... California?
California is broke - OK, it has some seriously wealthy people, but also a lot of (by US standards) very poor people. Not so many in the middle as they have been squeezed out and moved to NV or AZ, where there's less high taxation and the state isn't bankrupt, despite taking a lot of money in in taxes.

Given that the UK hasn't recovered in any sense from the Great Recession, it is highly enlightening that it has overtaken California again (ditto France and Italy. Italy! a country that had an EU/IMF sponsored coup this year to stop it receiving a massive bailout) on the 'big economy' ranks (CA overtook them as the Recession bit in Europe). This is entire economy, not just the state sector (which in CA is bankrupt).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1747
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

As the OP of this thread, I'll say - *ENOUGH OF THE MINDLESS POLITICAL POTSHOTS!!!*, ok?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1748
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

WI 26 Watertow, WI bypass opens

The subject of the original post in this thread, the WI 26 Watertown, WI bypass freeway, opened to traffic this morning, 2012-07-06 - approx 12 km of new highway.

http://www.wdtimes.com/news/local/ar...a4bcf887a.html

http://dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/wi...p-segment7.htm

http://binged.it/N0uEnf

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1749
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
As the OP of this thread, I'll say - *ENOUGH OF THE MINDLESS POLITICAL POTSHOTS!!!*, ok?

Mike
I agree, basically. It ought to be possible to (a) express the opinion that five-level stacks and unlimited suburbanization are unmitigatedly good and (b) respond to it, so long as it's done reasonably politely and respectfully. (Not that we all, me included, don't have our moments.) To me, the line is crossed when proponents of either point of view try to prohibit the other, with or without the level of political and personal invective that some people seem to find necessary. (The only reason I mentioned Pennsylvania's Tea Party governor in those terms it that I'm actually pleasantly surprised that a major new welcome center with extended hours opened on his watch.) Nuff said.
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #1750
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I read some states are aggressively closing rest areas on Interstates to save money. They allege there are often enough services on exits to cater for traveler needs and that DOT is overburdened with a tighter budget to keep non-essential elements of highway network functioning.

Is this only a Missouri thing or a sort of national trend
Several have closed in VA as well. To my knowledge, though, the state hasn't closed any of the "welcome centers," just the intermediate rest stops.

Speaking of rest areas, has anyone ever seen one not located on an Interstate or other such freeway (NJT)? I vaguely remember passing by one in Alabama when I was a kid.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1751
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Does a picnic area count, with or without port-a-potties? I passed a picnic area (signed as such, three tables, didn't see a port-a-john) on US 40 in northeastern Maryland (somewhere between the Susquehanna and Elkton) recently, and Maine has lots of that sort of thing (or did when I was last there in 1993...), at least on US 1 and presumably on other routes that get lots of tourist traffic.

I think there may be a full-fledged rest area or two on non-freeways in New Jersey, but can't remember where.
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1752
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Doesn't the Blue Ridge Parkway have some rest areas as well?
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1753
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I would think it must. Although it's not so much a normal highway for through traffic as a linear national park. Likewise for Skyline Drive, the Natchez Trace Parkway....
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1754
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Does a picnic area count, with or without port-a-potties? I passed a picnic area (signed as such, three tables, didn't see a port-a-john) on US 40 in northeastern Maryland (somewhere between the Susquehanna and Elkton) recently, and Maine has lots of that sort of thing (or did when I was last there in 1993...), at least on US 1 and presumably on other routes that get lots of tourist traffic.

I think there may be a full-fledged rest area or two on non-freeways in New Jersey, but can't remember where.
I was kinda going for the full-fledged rest stops... not so much waysides (picnic areas). Those are easy.

I found an old Maryland map (ADC) and they indicate a few such areas on the Eastern Shore.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1755
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Ohio has the best rest areas.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #1756
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Georgia closed many rest areas within an hour of Atlanta (I heard) because gay men used them for casual sex. That was in the '80's, mostly.

Found this one in Alabama this July 4th: One rest area serving both sides of I-65, with a pair of bridges providing access to and from the southbound roadway.

Oh: The I-65/I-22 interchange in Birmingham is a l-o-n-g way from being completed. Crews were working there on the 4th. And Clearview has a toehold in Alabama.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1757
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Georgia closed many rest areas within an hour of Atlanta (I heard) because gay men used them for casual sex. That was in the '80's, mostly
... not sure if this were/are only "gay" men... there are a lot of "curious" guys out there

but off topic...
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1758
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

For a time I thought Caltrans was going to close a number of rest areas in the state but it looks like they are in the process of renovating most, if not all, rest areas located in rural areas. The two rest areas on I-15 between Barstow and Las Vegas have been completely renovated along with the two rest areas on I-80 between Sacramento and Truckee. From what I understand, the reason for the renovations was to bring the facilities in to compliance with the Americans for Disabilities Act (ADA).

As for urban rest areas, the only one located in the San Francisco Bay Area is on northbound I-280 just north of the CA-92 interchange. For those familiar with the area, it's where the Father Junipero Serra statue is located and it too was recently renovated with all new facilities.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1759
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

How far are rest areas apart in the U.S.? Barstow - Las Vegas is 150 miles, which is much more than you will find in most areas of Europe, where rest areas are generally only 15 - 20 miles apart.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #1760
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

The Wisconsin DOT usually places Rest Stops, along rural Interstates, at around 50'ish miles apart. Minnesota seems to do the same on there Interstates as well.

Tags
united states