daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #1761
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10403

In CT, it's more or less every 25-30 miles outside urbanized areas (which, mind you, makes a huge % of the state).

Personally, I don't like rest stops. I'd rather just get off the highway to a nearby fast food or gas station.

Last week when I went on a trip to Upstate New York with a friend, we stopped at one for a cig break and the bathroom was disgusting and we couldn't even take a drink of water from the fountain because the sign said the water was unsafe.

Not a fan of the service areas...they tend to be overpriced for everything.

PS: Only interstates have rest areas in CT.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1762
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I read some states are aggressively closing rest areas on Interstates to save money. They allege there are often enough services on exits to cater for traveler needs and that DOT is overburdened with a tighter budget to keep non-essential elements of highway network functioning.

Is this only a Missouri thing or a sort of national trend
I live in KC and drove I-70 from St. Louis to KC yesterday and all the rest areas were open.
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #1763
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How far are rest areas apart in the U.S.? Barstow - Las Vegas is 150 miles, which is much more than you will find in most areas of Europe, where rest areas are generally only 15 - 20 miles apart.
Probably depends on the state. From my limited observations, usually about 50 miles. They're generally further apart when the route passes through cities with services.

This site lists all rest areas in the US along with mileposts.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1764
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

Quote:
Speaking of rest areas, has anyone ever seen one not located on an Interstate or other such freeway (NJT)? I vaguely remember passing by one in Alabama when I was a kid.
SH 36, in Texas has or had at least one near the town of Somerville. This is a two lane highway no less. I kind of like that drive, it's still pretty rural/old fashioned and you're by Lake Somerville, which is a kind of local fishing/swimming sort of lake that's not been taken over by rental vacation homes and marinas. Bikers love that area and apparently there was a Blue Oyster Cult show once.

On tollways or turnpikes, well duh those are common in the US and all over the world. I've been to so many, the Oklahoma freeway-spanning mega McDonald's, the various "OMG You're only 57 miles from Disney World!!!, buy Mickey ears here!" ones all over Florida, and saw the infamous Belvidere, Il oasis that got peppered with shrapnel by an exploding factory next door.

Well one thing is certain, Texas never has it's truck weigh stations open. It's always a joke when I am on a road trip with my family.

Ever since I was a kid I have never seen a weigh station operating except maybe once, and several of them are in decrepit shape with boarded up or burned down guard booths despite allegedly being functional with modern looking signs along the highway.

Quote:
Georgia closed many rest areas within an hour of Atlanta (I heard) because gay men used them for casual sex. That was in the '80's, mostly.
15 miles to the LOVE SHACK baby!

I guess the south was always glory hole ground zero...but I've always wondered if all those tales were embellished, you know bait for homophobes.

Oh well, them duke boys are at it again, and oh...hey, my laaaawd!

Last edited by zaphod; July 9th, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #1765
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1582

Long shot but does anyone know the most recent (which is probably not recent at all) development/plans/projections for US30 in PA between Lancaster and Parkesburg? Those living in the area will know how much of a farse this road is - Coatesville/Downingtown bypass exists as a limited-access highway, then we just have a one-lane each way between Parkesburg and Gap and then a business highway with a ton of traffic lights into Lancaster.. and once in Lancaster of course it turns into a limited-access highway to Harrisburg..

I know the bussinesses along the route will lobby till death to not build this.. but it's needed, rush hour traffic is terrible there and trust me, I go there every day, work in Philly suburbs, live in Lancaster, it's pretty terrible.

Not really holding out for much of anything, just wanted to know if possibly anybody might have any idea about this?
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #1766
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
Long shot but does anyone know the most recent (which is probably not recent at all) development/plans/projections for US30 in PA between Lancaster and Parkesburg? Those living in the area will know how much of a farse this road is - Coatesville/Downingtown bypass exists as a limited-access highway, then we just have a one-lane each way between Parkesburg and Gap and then a business highway with a ton of traffic lights into Lancaster.. and once in Lancaster of course it turns into a limited-access highway to Harrisburg..

I know the bussinesses along the route will lobby till death to not build this.. but it's needed, rush hour traffic is terrible there and trust me, I go there every day, work in Philly suburbs, live in Lancaster, it's pretty terrible.

Not really holding out for much of anything, just wanted to know if possibly anybody might have any idea about this?
When I was 9 , which wasn't to long ago , between the Gap to around Strasburg only had 3 lights and meduim traffic. Now theres 10 lights....its like they are Traffic light crazy , there are even lights on side country roads...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1767
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

This was probably the first SPUI with frontage roads. US 75 in Plano, TX

image hosted on flickr

SPUIed by jczart, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1768
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:

I haven't heard anything.
What was that work they were doing on 30 at night a couple of years ago - repaving? After I'd hit that a couple of times I started looking for alternates (340, for example....) I can't imagine driving that every day. If you don't mind the toll, there's always 322 and the Turnpike.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1769
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1582

Yeah, I've been doing 340 sometimes to Paradise and there hop on 30 again (because otherwise it seems very far), the only problem with that is that can be jammed as well, especially when tourists roll around and there is a lot of them in the Amish country.. unbelievable actually, you wouldn't think there's so many people who want to go see people in old-style clothes with long beards making quilts and riding horses that destroy our roads.. but there are. :P

As for the turnpike - that's an extra 10-15 mile and it's traffic on 272 north of Lancaster as well so it's annoying. I mean it's not terrible, but it's far from ideal obviously.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #1770
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Collin County Outer Loop, Texas

Collin County (north of Dallas) is planning a new loop around the outer suburbs. This makes the once planned Loop 9 look like a joke. The loop is planned to include 10 mainline lanes in the ultimate situation, with a 100 foot wide median for future expansion. If it ain't big, it ain't in Texas.

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1771
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Collin County (north of Dallas) is planning a new loop around the outer suburbs. This makes the once planned Loop 9 look like a joke. The loop is planned to include 10 mainline lanes in the ultimate situation, with a 100 foot wide median for future expansion. If it ain't big, it ain't in Texas.
Go TEXAS.

there was a article yesterday, Texas has the best infrastructure in the country.

it is really a pleasure drivign thru Texas cities. the best highways, good airprots, good ports.

Texas is really what California used to be long time ago.
it is becoming a Golden State

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 11th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1772
Moth27

Likes (Received): 14

Sorry! Wrong thread.

Last edited by Moth27; July 12th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
Moth27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #1773
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Yeah, I've been doing 340 sometimes to Paradise and there hop on 30 again (because otherwise it seems very far), the only problem with that is that can be jammed as well, especially when tourists roll around and there is a lot of them in the Amish country.. unbelievable actually, you wouldn't think there's so many people who want to go see people in old-style clothes with long beards making quilts and riding horses that destroy our roads.. but there are. :P

As for the turnpike - that's an extra 10-15 mile and it's traffic on 272 north of Lancaster as well so it's annoying. I mean it's not terrible, but it's far from ideal obviously.
Don't pick on the Amish: those tourists are keeping your economy afloat.
Seriously, I find them sort of picturesque.

And I meant, of course, 222 and the Turnpike, not 322....
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1774
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Finish the goat path! Or at least extend it a little.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1775
tvdxer

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
How far are rest areas apart in the U.S.? Barstow - Las Vegas is 150 miles, which is much more than you will find in most areas of Europe, where rest areas are generally only 15 - 20 miles apart.
Rest stops on interstate highways are often off of one direction, so a southbound rest stop isn't accessible from the northbound lanes.

There are three in the 158 miles between Duluth and Minneapolis: one in Duluth (Thomson Hill rest stop, actually a really scenic spot), one about 50 miles down, and one on the very outskirts of the Minneapolis metropolitan area (Forest Lake...where we used to stop when we went on field trips down there).

Every 15-20 miles? Heck, I can bike that far without feeling a need to rest!
tvdxer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1776
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

El Paso - Trans Mountain Expy:

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1777
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PA-41 Mon-Fayette Expressway

The missing link of the Mon-Fayette Expressway (State Route 43) opens to traffic today. This completes the expressway from I-68 in West Virginia to the southern suburbs of Pittsburgh. The new segment includes a large bridge across the Monongahela River.

Construction of the Mon-Fayette Expressway began in the mid-1970s as a state highway, however, as was often the case in the late 70s, funding dried up, and the road was transferred to the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, after which construction was sped up from the 1990s onwards. The bulk of the new expressway opened between 2000 and 2012. The construction of the Mon-Fayette Expressway was one of the few new limited-access highways in Pennsylvania in the past 2 decades.
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #1778
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

http://www.caldecott-tunnel.org/

Caldecott Tunnel 4th Bore Progress - July 14, 2012
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1779
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4272

Quote:

I've been using 741 to go from Gap to Strasburg since I could drive, and I knew about that since my dad would use that route to get to Lancaster when I was a kid. 741 fills the need to bypass US 30 if you're only goign to Gap and then heading south to Delaware. Is there a back road that locals use to go past the suburbia and strip malls? I've tried 340 but I have not noticed a big difference. How well does Strasburg Pike from the last exit ramp south into Strasburg work?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #1780
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

If I'm trying to cross Lancaster County from across the Susquehanna (the York aree or Harford County, Md.), I'll sometimes use Pa. 372. It has its own bridge across the Susquehanna - the only one between Conowingo Dam and Pa. 462/US 30 - runs fairly straight into western Chester County (when I get to Pa. 10, I'll jump up to US 30 and take the expressway bypass into suburbia, but 372 continues east to Coatesville or Downingtown), and it's quiet and pretty.

But if you're starting out in Lancaster City, it's fairly out of the way.

Traveling through Lancaster from north to south (trying to get to US 222 toward Maryland) I've lately been using the 30 expressway to - I think - Pa. 741 (the exit says Millersville), you sort of loop south and east through the outskirts of Lancaster and come to Pa. 272.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
united states