daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:10 PM   #1801
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Does anyone know about the stretch of US 202 from Doylestown to New Hope being built to freeway standards? I came across an article about the section of 202 south of Doylestown being built as a "parkway". I know north of Doylestown it was planned to be built a while back but wasn't sure of the status or if it will ever be built. Figured the PA/NJ people would know.

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1802
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I'm looking.

Meantime, I found a site about the "Parkway" segment south of Doylestown: http://www.us202-700.com/

The difference between south and north of Doylestown is that north of Doylestown it's much less suburban, at least less dense-suburban... whereas it's subdivisions and strip malls south of Doylestown, north of there it's rich people who think they're in the country, so I'd guess NIMBYism is powerful. Personally, I never use 202 through there, but my travel patterns (living in Philadelphia) are such that I'm more likely to be crossing it than on it, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: This site, which seems to be current, says nothing's happening: http://www.phillyroads.com/roads/US-202_PA/ (Look for the heading in red, towards the bottom of the page, "Unbuilt through Bucks County.") Which doesn't surprise me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1803
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19387

US 69 Fairfax Bridge, Kansas City

Per the title.

image hosted on flickr

D5574_CM-330 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D5574_CM-335 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D5574_CM-345 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D5574_CM-357 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1804
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Huguenot Bridge, Richmond, VA

Widening of the Huguenot Bridge in western Richmond, Virginia.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by VaDOT, on Flickr
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1805
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Installation of a 'seismic joint' on the Dumbarton Bridge (SR 84) over Labor Day weekend:

http://www.mtc.ca.gov/news/photos/dumbarton_9-12.htm
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1806
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Carmel, Indiana has 60 roundabouts, more than any other U.S. city and probably more than some entire states.

The Keystone Parkway also has several roundabout interchanges:

Old September 7th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #1807
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Carmel, Indiana has 60 roundabouts, more than any other U.S. city and probably more than some entire states.

The Keystone Parkway also has several roundabout interchanges:
Wow, it has more roundabouts than my hometown! . Anyway, those bone-roundabouts, according to a discussion we had on Spanish forum, are dangerous.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1808
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19147

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Anyway, those bone-roundabouts, according to a discussion we had on Spanish forum, are dangerous.
Why?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1809
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1980

drove through this intersection for the first time last weekend, its the 2nd diverging diamond opened in Springfield, MO(the first city to build one in the US) and they have 1 more currently under construction and a couple more being planned. It works great and traffic seems to flow threw much quicker now.
[IMG]http://i47.************/2lxigc7.jpg[/IMG]
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1810
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I really like this innovation. I'd love to see it in action in the Netherlands once. The problem is they don't work very well with cyclists so I don't see it implemented soon over here.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #1811
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 24

A disadvantage of the DDI is that it has two traffic signals that stop both directions of traffic along the arterial. This leads to poor traffic signal progression along the arterial street.

Here's an aerial of the DDI that weava posted showing the surrounding signals:

Primrose Street & National Avenue is a major 4-phased intersection with dual left turns that likely requires at least 120 second cycle lengths during the heavy rush hours (the intersection is about a 1/4 mile from the DDI interchange). DDI's really aren't designed to run high cycle lengths as the signals need to keep cycling quickly to clear out the queues that form along the bridge deck. Even if all 4 traffic signals in the aerial are able to run the same cycle length it would still lead to poor signal progression along National Avenue since you have 4 closely spaced traffic signals that stop both directions of travel (a nightmare scenario when trying to achieve good dual progression along an arterial).

Utah has built a few of these DDI's and a report was written highlighting some of the experiences and observations Utah has had (Report No. UT- 12.05 April 2012). The report summed it up like this:
Quote:
Coordination of the DDI with adjacent signals is not easily done. Most DDIs need a lower cycle length than the adjacent signals. This may result in a vehicle having to stop at both the off ramp terminal and the next adjacent signal.
It would go on to say that engineers have found that certain DDI's operate best in "free" mode, which essentially means there's no coordination to adjacent signals and it's just luck of the draw if you hit a green light or not.

Quote:
Most DDIs need a lower cycle length than the adjacent signals. As a result, the interchange signals at DDIs are run in coordination with each other usually at half the cycle length of the a djacent system. In fact, signal engineers have found that some of the DDIs operate best in “free” mode, or in other words based on actual demands from the signal detectors. This may result in vehicles having to stop at both the off ramp terminal and the next adjacent signal.
It's not encouraging when the DDI signals operate best when they are not coordinating to adjacent traffic signals along the arterial.

Last edited by tradephoric; September 11th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1812
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Check out the sign in this article (it just jumped out of the print edition of the paper at me):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/us...land.html?_r=1

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1813
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

This isn't good:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z4

I just hope no one decides that the solution to this is to eliminate E-ZPass.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1814
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is a significant issue. Illinois Tollways has over $ 300 million in outstanding tolls and fines. The NTTA (North Texas) also has millions of dollars owed to them by toll evaders.

It's job creation though. Lots of work for process servers.
Old September 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1815
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 301, Maryland

I was looking into the US 301, which is a divided highway in Maryland. I noticed the traffic volumes in the greater Washington area are very high, mostly 40,000 - 50,000 vehicles per day, spiking at over 80,000 vehicles per day north of Waldorf.

Are there plans to turn this route into a freeway? It's sort of reviving the second beltway of Washington, D.C., because traffic volumes surely warrant an upgrade to a freeway in this area.

Old September 14th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1816
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 1, Revere, MA

Interesting stub ramps along US 1 in Revere, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston.

There is a whole embankment and right-of-way going towards the suburb of Lynn, next to State Route 107.

Old September 14th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1817
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I was looking into the US 301, which is a divided highway in Maryland. I noticed the traffic volumes in the greater Washington area are very high, mostly 40,000 - 50,000 vehicles per day, spiking at over 80,000 vehicles per day north of Waldorf.

Are there plans to turn this route into a freeway? It's sort of reviving the second beltway of Washington, D.C., because traffic volumes surely warrant an upgrade to a freeway in this area.

Unknown. But in a fairly rare instance (for the U.S.) of control cities that are reasonably far away, signs for 301 south at US 50 read "Richmond."

Quote:
Interesting stub ramps along US 1 in Revere, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston.

There is a whole embankment and right-of-way going towards the suburb of Lynn, next to State Route 107.

Hmm. Perhaps part of the never-built alignment of 95 through Boston.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; September 15th, 2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Just noticed my answer was inside the quote....
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

1928 Mississippi Highway Map

Note that nearly all roads were unpaved in the late 1920s.

image hosted on flickr

Mississippi Highway map 1928 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #1819
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Note that nearly all roads were unpaved in the late 1920s.
Well, yes. What would you expect? it was only the 1920's, and Mississippi was (and is) quite poor.

Once again I'll mention the excellent Origins and Construction of the Interstate System by W. Lee Mertz, which should be required reading for every road enthusiast. It cites an extensive report prepared by the state of Indiana in the early-mid '30's:

"The great group of generally lesser roads that constitute 89 per cent of the total mileage and serve less than 34 per cent of the total traffic, have an average traffic of only 51 vehicles per day and earn in taxes paid by their traffic only $70 per year to offset an average annual maintenance expense of $187...the question that remains for future determination is whether, to what extent, and precisely where, further improvement will produce the greatest return.

"The example made possible by the very excellent Indiana study is typical of the conditions existing in the great majority of our States; and it affords a complete answer to selfish uninformed criticism of highway policies.

"The course we have been following (under the National Industrial Recovery Act) has been fairly clear. The choice of the most important roads has been rather obvious. What we have been doing is what the President calls "doing first things first". That we have done it rather well the generally appreciated usefulness of the Federal aid and State highway systems testifies without the factual aid of the many traffic surveys.

"We now approach more difficult decisions. As each additional mile of highway is improved, the choice of succeeding mileage for improvement becomes progressively a matter of narrower and narrower margins... These things are emphasized not to discourage the further extension of improved mileage, but simply to stress the high importance of informed and intelligent planning of the work to be done."

Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #1820
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Hmm. Perhaps part of the never-built alignment of 95 through Boston.
Yepper, unbuilt I-95.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states