daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I-35 is quite expensive to widen. A part is double-deck and the entire I-35 corridor in that region is urbanized which makes a widening rather expensive and there is no funding available from traditional sources.

The MoPac Expressway runs parallel to I-35 in Austin and is also congested, a limited widening is planned here with toll lanes.

Personally I don't think SH 130 will attract much traffic in the coming few years, but that may change after the Austin suburbanization turns towards the southeast. Most new housing in the last 20 years was constructed along the I-35 corridor and northwest of Austin, with places like Pflugerville, Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park and Leander being rapidly growing towns.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1862
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A test drive was executed on SH 130 prior to opening, a Cadillac managed to drive 220.5 miles per hour on the new toll road. The license plate was still readable by the toll cameras at 185 mph.

Old October 26th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1863
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A test drive was executed on SH 130 prior to opening, a Cadillac managed to drive 220.5 miles per hour on the new toll road. The license plate was still readable by the toll cameras at 185 mph.

I think this video also shows that this road isn't like a typical American interstate: it's grading and curve radii are probably more in tune with European autoroutes, so 85 should be an appropriate speed limit here. And if they actually enforce all the "keep right" signs going up in the state, that would be even better.

So much of the concern over 85 is by people from states with 65 mph limits who think 70 is "fast" and who don't even know that 80 mph limits already exist in Texas without issue. And they also think that this road is like the 1950's and 60's interstates they drive everyday.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1864
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
....I believe the current construction of I-69 in Indiana is the longest under construction segment in the USA. FYI existing I-69 north of Indianapolis has the mile markers and exit numbers updated by 200 miles, example old exit 109 in Fort Wayne with US-30 is now exit 309.
1) Is the Indiana segment of I-69 really going to be exactly 200 miles longer, or was that just a "nice round number" - I mean did they just add 200 to the existing numbers so they could use numbers below 200 south of Indianapolis (where they might really need to go into the 140s, I'd guess)?

2) For that matter, have the settled on a routing around Indianapolis - will it use one side of 465 or the other, and actually be signed on it - or will there just be a gap?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #1865
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
1) Is the Indiana segment of I-69 really going to be exactly 200 miles longer, or was that just a "nice round number" - I mean did they just add 200 to the existing numbers so they could use numbers below 200 south of Indianapolis (where they might really need to go into the 140s, I'd guess)?

2) For that matter, have the settled on a routing around Indianapolis - will it use one side of 465 or the other, and actually be signed on it - or will there just be a gap?
I think its a little bit of a coincidence and a little bit accurate. When you do a Google Maps directions search from Evansville, IN to Fort Wayne, IN, results return a couple routes both slightly over 300 miles.

And I-69 in the Indianapolis area will enter I-465 between the partial interchange 7 and interchange 4 of I-465, then I-69 will be concurrent with I-465 on the south and east sides of Indianapolis.
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1866
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

InDOT simply added 200 to the existing MPs on I-69 NE of Indianapolis. Had they been accurate, they would have added about 184 to them, but they decided on 200 for simplicity.

And yes, that part of I-69 in Indiana is currently the longest continuous stretch of new highway under construction in the USA.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1867
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

If they had used kilometers, adding 300 of them would have been pretty accurate compared to that . I remember the E07 around here got 211 kilometers removed in one shot to match those of A-23 South of Zaragoza.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1868
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Florida's Turnpike Express Lanes

A new plan to add tolled lanes to a toll road in Florida has been approved. They will add variable toll lanes to the Homestead Extension of Florida's Turnpike, in the southern part of the Miami metro area. The variable toll lanes will extend from Caribbean Boulevard in South Miami Heights, north to the SR-876 (Don Shula Expressway) near Kendall. Eventually, the variable toll lanes should extend all the way to SR-836 (Dolphin Expressway).

This is the first general toll road to get variable priced lanes, much like managed lanes along freeways.

The part to be widened is currently a six to ten lane facility.

I personally think it's a weird idea to add variable toll lanes to an existing toll road. Why not raise the tolls to fund the widening? After this project is completed you can choose toll-free urban arterials, congested toll lanes, or variable priced uncongested toll lanes...

Old October 26th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1869
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Headline just seen on the Weather Channel:

"Delaware Highway Officials Removing Overhead Signs"

(Because of the supposed super-storm.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #1870
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
A new plan to add tolled lanes to a toll road in Florida has been approved. They will add variable toll lanes to the Homestead Extension of Florida's Turnpike, in the southern part of the Miami metro area. The variable toll lanes will extend from Caribbean Boulevard in South Miami Heights, north to the SR-876 (Don Shula Expressway) near Kendall. Eventually, the variable toll lanes should extend all the way to SR-836 (Dolphin Expressway).

This is the first general toll road to get variable priced lanes, much like managed lanes along freeways.

The part to be widened is currently a six to ten lane facility.

I personally think it's a weird idea to add variable toll lanes to an existing toll road. Why not raise the tolls to fund the widening? After this project is completed you can choose toll-free urban arterials, congested toll lanes, or variable priced uncongested toll lanes...
That is weird.. There must be some wealthy people who use the road because very few regular people will pay an additional toll to use those lanes, they will mostly stay empty.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1871
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Veterans Parkway also gets a similar system in your neck of the woods. This was quietly approved. It's supposed to be completed in 2016, a year before the HEFT.
Old October 27th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Two interesting bridges near Port Arthur, Texas. The SH 73 runs across it. The right bridge opened in 1938, the left bridge in 1990.

Old October 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1873
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Concrete monstrosity.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

South Norfolk Jordan Bridge, Virginia

The new Jordan Bridge opens to traffic tomorrow morning (Oct. 29) in Norfolk, Virginia. The new two-lane bridge is a toll bridge and replaced a 1928 drawbridge that closed in 2008. The bridge is immediately south of the Norfolk Naval Shipyard.

The nearest alternate routes are 2 miles up- and downstream respectively. The bridge gives direct access to I-464. It will serve local traffic only. Tolling is all-electronic. The tolls are $ 2 for E-ZPass holders, $ 3 for pay-by-plate and $ 4 for unregistered vehicles.

Old October 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1875
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
On a side note, I'm wondering whether they will turn US 58 into a freeway / toll road as well, because of the poor connectivity between Charlotte / Raleigh and Norfolk. US 460 will not be an alternative for traffic to and from North Carolina.

I vote no on that. I've driven that section of US 58 many times coming from Atlanta, and to me it's a welcome respite from Interstate driving. It's at least 2x4 all the way, and though there are a few traffic signals, there isn't any real congestion. The short freeway bypasses make a lot of difference-- I wish my own state had more of them.

To me a direct freeway from Roanoke Rapids to Franklin or even Rocky Mount to Suffolk would make more sense, though I doubt that tolls would be viable there. Oh: According to an NCDOT report I read a few years ago when I was driving between Atlanta and Cary NC every week, the NC 49-US 64 route from Charlotte to the Raleigh area that I was taking was of exactly equal merit compared to I-85-I-40, with the shorter distance on 49-64 compensating for higher speeds on the Interstates; in the future, programmed improvements to NC 49 and US 64 would tip the balance in favor of the non-Interstate route. Perhaps a direct connection from I-95 would make a route through Raleigh the best way to get from Charlotte to Norfolk as well as improving access to Norfolk from Raleigh and points south.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1876
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
The new Jordan Bridge opens to traffic tomorrow morning (Oct. 29) in Norfolk, Virginia. The new two-lane bridge is a toll bridge and replaced a 1928 drawbridge that closed in 2008. The bridge is immediately south of the Norfolk Naval Shipyard.

The nearest alternate routes are 2 miles up- and downstream respectively. The bridge gives direct access to I-464. It will serve local traffic only. Tolling is all-electronic. The tolls are $ 2 for E-ZPass holders, $ 3 for pay-by-plate and $ 4 for unregistered vehicles.

Bridge opening tomorrow morning in Norfolk? I wouldn't count on it....
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...hteen-20121020

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 28th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Indiana Route 25

A new 4-lane divided highway opened a couple of days ago in northwest Indiana. SR-25 connects Lafayette with Delphi. An extension to Logansport is also under construction. It's not grade-separated.

The new alignment is visible on Google Earth imagery.

Old October 28th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1878
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Two interesting bridges near Port Arthur, Texas. The SH 73 runs across it. The right bridge opened in 1938, the left bridge in 1990.

That makes me wonder which geological obstacle prevented them from building a tunnel instead. It look truly awkward.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #1879
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
That makes me wonder which geological obstacle prevented them from building a tunnel instead. It look truly awkward.
Don't be fooled by open-angle camera shots

Check Google Maps for a more geometrically adhering view.
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #1880
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I think its a cool looking bridge.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states