daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

US 169 Broadway Freeway, Kansas City, MO

US 169 in Kansas City, also known as the Broadway Freeway or the Arrowhead Trafficway is a 4-lane freeway north of downtown Kansas City. It is built across a levee along the Missouri River.

The freeway shut down entirely on July 14 for reconstruction of the levee, using so-called bin walls. Because there is no room to stage equipment, a total shutdown of the freeway was necessary. The freeway is not very heavily traveled, so traffic is rerouted via local streets and I-29/I-35 a mile east. The reconstructed freeway will reopen in December.

image hosted on flickr

D5590_CM-6 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D5590_CM-24 by MoDOT Photos, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM   #1882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Tennesse Route 840, Nashville

The final leg of the southern beltway of Nashville, Tennessee opened to traffic today. It's a 14-mile section southwest of Nashville.

The freeway is numbered as State Route 840, but some have suggested it could be upgraded to Interstate 840.

Other long-term plans include building the northern beltway, which would make SR-840 one of the longest beltways in the world at circa 180 miles... 290 kilometers.

map:
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:14 AM   #1883
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Yes, but when are you going to give us a highway to guess? :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1884
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

Few shots from upstate NY.

NY Hwy 79

I really enjoyed this part of the state, especially in places like this:

Last edited by geogregor; November 3rd, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1885
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Nice color in the trees; when were those taken?

Where is that, around Cortland?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1886
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The final leg of the southern beltway of Nashville, Tennessee opened to traffic today. It's a 14-mile section southwest of Nashville.
Good thing I got a photo of this. Hopefully it'll be gone soon if it isn't already:

This sign is on I-24 headed westbound toward Nashville. Apparently "Memphis" was originally on the sign, then was taken down lest motorists think that 840 would actually take them toward Memphis... but they didn't remove the dot on the "i" in Memphis.

I drove the I-65-I-24 section of 840 once, but despite having taken many other photos in Tennessee, I didn't bother with any of 840. Other than a few big cuts through rock, it's utterly unremarkable, which is unusual for Tennessee.

Last edited by Tom 958; November 4th, 2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: changed image link
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

California Route 58, Bakersfield

A video of State Route 58 in Bakersfield, California, which is a freeway.

I gotta say this area doesn't look too well from an aesthetic point of view. Especially the last minute of the video looks quite similar to what I've seen in Lebanon or some other arid developing country.

Old November 4th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1888
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

Quote:
A video of State Route 58 in Bakersfield, California, which is a freeway.

I gotta say this area doesn't look too well from an aesthetic point of view. Especially the last minute of the video looks quite similar to what I've seen in Lebanon or some other arid developing country.
I was once briefly in Bakersfield and have to say it must be one of the ugliest places in the whole US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
Nice color in the trees; when were those taken?

Where is that, around Cortland?
It is on my way from Binghamton via I-81 and then NY Hwy 79 to Ithaca and then Taughannock Falls SP
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #1889
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

I have been to Bakersfield, it has some beautiful areas, but when you driving on the freeways it does not look too good I have to admit

I still think is better than some cities in the midwest, NJ, Maryland, and other cities on the East Coast. I have been around and I have seem much worse places than this
fredcalif está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1890
ChrisZwolle
Road user

5400 South flex lanes, Taylorsville, Utah

A new "flex lane" opened to traffic in the Salt Lake City suburb of Taylorsville today, along 5400 South Road.

The road, which is a 7-lane undivided surface street with a center turn lane, has been changed to a flex lane, where the center turn lane moves left or right, to accomodate an additional traffic lane in the peak direction. For instance during the morning commute, the center turn lane will move left, so that there are 4 instead of 3 eastbound lanes. It's reversed during the evening commute. The original layout remains during off-peak times.

Old November 8th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #1891
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

That seems confusing if you were on a perpendicular street wanting to make a left turn.

I guess if the oncoming lanes were occupied by stopped cars it would be obvious which one you enter, but will they sign it somehow?
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1892
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

There are a couple of bridges between Philadelphia and New Jersey where they do that, but in addition to signage* there's an actual concrete barrier between the eastbound and westbound lanes that I assume they actually move twice a day.

*entering the bridge, you see a "3 LANES TO N.J." or "3 LANES TO PHILA." sign, depending which direction you're going, but the number is changeable. And there are green arrows or red Xes above the lanes.

EDIT - Here's a pic: http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/i-676/w3.jpg

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's a reversible lane with a movable barrier, which is not all uncommon. The difference in Utah is that it's not a free-flow freeway, but a signalized surface street with a center turn lane. Most urban reversible lanes do not have center turn lanes.

I think the idea is relatively well-conceived, but it's complicated for motorists (especially those who don't drive that road very often) and is overall not a common situation.

Let's see if I can find traffic data for that road.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1894
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hmm traffic volumes are 40,000 vehicles per day - not particularly high for six lanes. But apparently most of the traffic is heavily peak directional (i.e. eastbound in the morning and westbound in the evening).
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1895
ChrisZwolle
Road user

State Road 54, Florida

A feasibility study has been launched to survey whether an elevated toll road above State Road 54 in Pasco County, Florida is feasible. The plan envisiones elevated toll lanes all the way from US 19 to US 301, acting as a mega northern bypass of the Tampa Bay area. SR-54, which is already a four to six lane facility, is an important route along the northern edge of the Tampa Bay area, but features no grade-separation and numerous signalized intersections. Their model is the elevated Selmon Expressway (SR-618) in Tampa.

Old November 9th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1896
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Hmm traffic volumes are 40,000 vehicles per day - not particularly high for six lanes. But apparently most of the traffic is heavily peak directional (i.e. eastbound in the morning and westbound in the evening).
There was one of these on US 78 in Gwinnett County, GA-- I posted about it here. But the traffic volumes were much higher and the lanes were narrower-- six lanes on a roadway built for five-- so everybody hated it.

Hey, why is Wesley Chapel South located to the north of Wesley Chapel?
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1897
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Hey, why is Wesley Chapel South located to the north of Wesley Chapel?
That is weird, isn't it? But you know what they say: the farther north you go in Florida, the more southern it gets....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #1898
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
A feasibility study has been launched to survey whether an elevated toll road above State Road 54 in Pasco County, Florida is feasible. The plan envisiones elevated toll lanes all the way from US 19 to US 301, acting as a mega northern bypass of the Tampa Bay area. SR-54, which is already a four to six lane facility, is an important route along the northern edge of the Tampa Bay area, but features no grade-separation and numerous signalized intersections. Their model is the elevated Selmon Expressway (SR-618) in Tampa.

This is badly needed, I hope NIMBY's don't kill it like they did the beltway that was supposed to be further south (you can see part of it under the words Cheval). That road already is like an expressway since most people do 100km/h or faster on that road as a standard speed. They would be very smart to build this road before the sprawling growth starts again and the area would be a traffic clusterf**k without some kind of East-West expressway. Most of it doesn't even need to be elevated, just add barriers and overpasses and that would work.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Loop 49, Tyler, Texas

A new 6 mile - 10 kilometer segment of Loop 49 opened southwest of Tyler, Texas on Friday. Loop 49 is a two-lane toll road and outer loop of the Tyler metropolitan area. The segment that opened runs from SH 31 to SH 155 southwest of Tyler. An extension north to I-20 will open in March 2013.

Old November 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #1900
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I think this video also shows that this road isn't like a typical American interstate: it's grading and curve radii are probably more in tune with European autoroutes, so 85 should be an appropriate speed limit here. And if they actually enforce all the "keep right" signs going up in the state, that would be even better.

So much of the concern over 85 is by people from states with 65 mph limits who think 70 is "fast" and who don't even know that 80 mph limits already exist in Texas without issue. And they also think that this road is like the 1950's and 60's interstates they drive everyday.
Very true!
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states