daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1901
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

A couple from the Katy Freeway from a recent trip to Texas:

Eastbound at the Sam Houston Tollway:

Westbound:

Wide road:

Eastern end of the Katy Tollway:

The four right hand lanes exit at I-610 (Houston's inner loop).

More and larger versions:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/TX/I/10/index.html

A bonus of I-35W at I-20:

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1902
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Nice pics, but aren't they in the wrong thread?

I haven't noticed the full-width exit tabs in Texas before. Is that a new thing? I see that they're not on the pic from Fort Worth. I don't like 'em, partly because the undersized exit tabs help clarify which side the exit is on, and partly because I think consistency is important.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1903
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A feasibility study has been launched to survey whether an elevated toll road above State Road 54 in Pasco County, Florida is feasible. The plan envisiones elevated toll lanes all the way from US 19 to US 301, acting as a mega northern bypass of the Tampa Bay area. SR-54, which is already a four to six lane facility, is an important route along the northern edge of the Tampa Bay area, but features no grade-separation and numerous signalized intersections. Their model is the elevated Selmon Expressway (SR-618) in Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
This is badly needed, I hope NIMBY's don't kill it like they did the beltway that was supposed to be further south (you can see part of it under the words Cheval). That road already is like an expressway since most people do 100km/h or faster on that road as a standard speed. They would be very smart to build this road before the sprawling growth starts again and the area would be a traffic clusterf**k without some kind of East-West expressway. Most of it doesn't even need to be elevated, just add barriers and overpasses and that would work.
I agree with what is being proposed for FL 54/56 as far as the northern Tampa Bay area is concerned. Now that the real estate market is slowly coming back (and the sprawling growth that comes with it) an elevated toll road is the answer.

But there are two items I would address:

Would the elevated toll road be high enough to cross the CSX railroad tracks at US 41? Both US 41 and CSX Railroad parallel each other here.

At FL 56's eastern terminus at US 301 in Zephyrhills, I would see an extension of the elevated toll road by turning southeast towards Plant City and Interstate 4. Perhaps FL 39 can be widened from its two lanes into four lanes with a median wide enough to accommodate the toll road with minimal right of way acquisition involved. This would create a northern Tampa Bay beltway that I believe would help out a lot as growth increases in the northern Tampa Bay (Tampa/St. Petersburg) area.

And I do agree - there are some sections where Jersey style barriers and overpasses will work.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by Interstate275Fla; January 12th, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling mistake
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #1904
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
That's a reversible lane with a movable barrier, which is not all uncommon. The difference in Utah is that it's not a free-flow freeway, but a signalized surface street with a center turn lane. Most urban reversible lanes do not have center turn lanes.

I think the idea is relatively well-conceived, but it's complicated for motorists (especially those who don't drive that road very often) and is overall not a common situation.

Let's see if I can find traffic data for that road.
Several surface streets in the Washington DC area (such as Connecticut Avenue and Georgia Avenue) have reversible lanes as well minus the central turn lanes.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1905
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Nice pics, but aren't they in the wrong thread?

I haven't noticed the full-width exit tabs in Texas before. Is that a new thing? I see that they're not on the pic from Fort Worth. I don't like 'em, partly because the undersized exit tabs help clarify which side the exit is on, and partly because I think consistency is important.
Yeah, I just looked for USA and posted, I forgot this forum had two threads. My bad.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1906
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

US 281 / Loop 1604 interchange, San Antonio, TX

The US 281 / Loop 1604 interchange was inaugurated recently in San Antonio, Texas.

Of course, opening a new stack interchange is not something you do using a Toyota Prius. No, in Texas, you use the ubiquitous pickup truck

View from the interchange.

West and East. That's all you need to know.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1907
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Philadelphia

Large parking area around a few stadiums in Philadelphia. According to the Lincoln Financial Field website there are 22,000 parking spaces.

Old November 15th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1908
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:

West and East. That's all you need to know.
What does the yellow M.P.H. section on that sign mean?
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1909
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

m.p.h. = miles per hour.

Yellow because it's an advisory speed. (You see a lot of those at exit ramps lately, often with an icon of a truck tipping over, the suggestion obviously being that it's tipping over because it's moving too fast. Like this: http://media.nationalsafetycommissio...k_rollover.gif )

It's weird that there's no number there - they haven't figured it out yet?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1910
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Large parking area around a few stadiums in Philadelphia. According to the Lincoln Financial Field website there are 22,000 parking spaces.

I know it well....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #1911
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

here is a unique setup in Chippewa Falls, WI, with WI State Route 29 being the limited access highway;

http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.919233...42014&t=k&z=15

Last edited by Jschmuck; November 19th, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1912
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 17 Dominion Blvd, Chesapeake, VA

A new toll road in the Hampton Roads are has been financed. The city of Chesapeake reached a close to borrow $ 303 million for the Dominion Boulevard (US 17) upgrade in the southern part of the city. The center of the project is a major bridge replacement. The new toll road will feature 2x2 lanes.

(image by tollroadsnews.com)

The tolls will initially be $ 1 each way, which I think is a fair toll. I have doubts about the traffic forecasts though, because there is basically nothing south of this toll road, just the Great Dismal Swamp and some towns in North Carolina. Only 11,000 vehicles per day were recorded at the NC state line in 2011. This increases to near 30,000 vehicles at the bridge, so a replacement with a wider bridge is necessary. Population growth in Chesapeake has declined substantially after 2000.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1913
ChrisZwolle
Road user

US 20, Iowa

A 26-mile segment of new US 20 opened between Early and Rockwell City in northwestern Iowa. It's a four-lane divided highway, major junctions are grade-separated, but country roads are at-grade, so it's not a freeway. According to the Department of Transportation, it's the biggest single 4-lane highway opening in Iowa since the completion of the Interstate Highway system. The new US 20 is on an entirely new alignment, north of the old route.

Old November 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1914
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kilpatrick Turnpike, Oklahoma

The Kilpatrick Turnpike in Oklahoma City is currently being widened for about 8 miles along the northern side of the metro area.

By the way, at 5 cents per mile, this toll road has one of the lowest toll rates for any urban toll road in the United States.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0022 by rte66man, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0021 by rte66man, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0016 by rte66man, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0004 by rte66man, on Flickr
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1915
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
A new toll road in the Hampton Roads are has been financed. The city of Chesapeake reached a close to borrow $ 303 million for the Dominion Boulevard (US 17) upgrade in the southern part of the city. The center of the project is a major bridge replacement. The new toll road will feature 2x2 lanes.

(image by tollroadsnews.com)

The tolls will initially be $ 1 each way, which I think is a fair toll. I have doubts about the traffic forecasts though, because there is basically nothing south of this toll road, just the Great Dismal Swamp and some towns in North Carolina. Only 11,000 vehicles per day were recorded at the NC state line in 2011. This increases to near 30,000 vehicles at the bridge, so a replacement with a wider bridge is necessary. Population growth in Chesapeake has declined substantially after 2000.
I guess the main reason why they are building that road is to catter to summer tourists traffic heading to/from the North Carolina Outter Banks.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1916
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They use the existing Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168). US 17 is more inland.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:47 AM   #1917
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Roadgeek-Related Radio-Commercial Punchline of the Day:

While driving to Mom's for Thanksgiving, I heard a commercial. I wasn't paying attention until the characters started talking route numbers ("Route 73?" "Route 70?" "Route 38?" but apparently it was a couple shopping for cars in southern New Jersey. The woman says, we should go to CarSense, and then tells the man where it is...

Man: So I should make a U-turn?
Woman: U-turn?! This is New Jersey: we have jughandles!

I shall now proceed to change my signature (it's two weeks after the election and no one reacted to my subtle political one anyway :-), so it's time).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 22nd, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:50 AM   #1918
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4045

Now that's how you build highways... The Kilpatrick Turnpike in Oklahoma City is looking awesome.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1919
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CA-134 Ventura Freeway, Glendale, California

Note the narrow HOV lanes. What often happened in the Los Angeles area is that they turned left shoulders into HOV lanes, but left shoulders were often a tad narrower than the general purpose lanes.

image hosted on flickr
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #1920
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Does anyone know the purpose of the blue reflectors on USA roads? They are located in weird places - not in the middle of the road, not on the shoulder, but usually in the middle of the lane or close to the divider.

Last edited by Botev1912; November 28th, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states