daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #1921
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

I see them every once in a while. Not sure of their purpose though.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1922
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Does anyone know what the blue reflectors on USA roads mean? They are located in weird places - not in the middle of the road, not on the shoulder, but usually in the middle of the lane or close to the divider.

They are typically used to indicate fire hydrants. When you see one look to the right.
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #1923
MSP

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Note the narrow HOV lanes. What often happened in the Los Angeles area is that they turned left shoulders into HOV lanes, but left shoulders were often a tad narrower than the general purpose lanes.

image hosted on flickr
I would guess in this case, the original road had a 10 foot wide inside shoulder with 4 12 foot wide lanes in each direction.
It looks like they took the inside shoulder and made it into an 11 foot wide HOV lane. As well as the 4 general purpose lanes. The location of the concrete joints shows where I assume the original lane lines were. They are squeezing every inch out of the original footprint of the road.
They have done this on a couple of freeways in Minneapolis(I-35W south of downtown and I-94 between Minneapolis and St. Paul).
MSP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1925
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

US 202 Parkway, Pennsylvania

The new US 202 Parkway north of Philadelphia opens to traffic tomorrow. It runs from Montgomeryville to Doylestown.

Originally conceived as an expressway and outer bypass of the Philadelphia metropolitan area, it was scaled back significantly to a 2 to 4-lane parkway with signalized intersections. It does run on an entirely new right of way though.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NC-540 Triangle Expressway

A run was held on the new Triangle Expressway near Apex, North Carolina.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0344 by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1928
ChrisZwolle
Road user

WA-410 Chinook Pass

This is what 86 inches of snow look like.

image hosted on flickr

Chinook Pass 12/4/12 by WSDOT, on Flickr
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1929
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

That is more than two meters of whiteness . The road must be below.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1930
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This is what it looks like in the summer. It's not even all that high, about a mile, same altitude as Denver.
image hosted on flickr

Chinook Pass - Mount Rainier National Park by Jasperdo, on Flickr
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1931
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25706

How to avoid hogging the left lane at this traffic "organization"?
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1932
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A new toll road is considered near Dallas, connecting Greenville with the President George Bush Turnpike, along the right of way of a defunct railway and parallel to I-30.

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1933
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Why? Only in America are roads built just for the hell of it or to induce demand as opposed to responding to it. There is absolutely no need for a parallel freeway next to I-30.
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1934
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Dallas has planned their metro fairly well, it doesn't have terrible congestion considering its size and lack of transit although they are expanding it. Also you see I-30 does not have a close highway going towards the center compared to the other ones. In the future when the area develops this will be considered an alternate route to future congestion on I-30.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #1935
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

What are the usage numbers on IH-30 between Greenville and DT Dallas? Considering that the area looks pretty rural on Google Maps, it can't be that high.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1936
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Is the point of that toll road perhaps to connect to that...unnumbered east-west thing through Plano (which would also lead to DFW airport if I don't miss my guess)...rather than to be an alternate to I-30? The angle at which said unnumbered thing meets I-30 at suggests to me the interchange was not designed for people doing the Greenville-to-Plano movement (although I see from GMaps the movement is possible).

Unrelated: GMaps, at least at the scale I was at to scroll from my default position down to Dallas, isn't showing the new segment of I-69 in Indiana yet.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1937
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic volumes on I-30 increase from 45,000 at Greenville to 105,000 in Rockwall and 158,000 in Mesquite. Rockwall County grew by 82% between 2000 and 2010.

Collin County is also constructing/planning an outer loop bypassing McKinney at some distance.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1938
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

As time goes on I feel that the U.S. should focus more on efficient, well connected public transportation than expanding freeways. I'd be more excited if they would extend DART rail out to Greenville. If the infrastructure still exists, they can fix up the defunct railway instead of building a highway.

I love highways, but I really hate paying for gas, also I hate sitting in traffic. Getting more people off the roads is better than increasing road capacity to add more cars in my opinion.

Hell if they're going to build this highway, put DART rail in the median, win-win. Give me an option other than just using a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is the point of that toll road perhaps to connect to that...unnumbered east-west thing through Plano (which would also lead to DFW airport if I don't miss my guess)...rather than to be an alternate to I-30? The angle at which said unnumbered thing meets I-30 at suggests to me the interchange was not designed for people doing the Greenville-to-Plano movement (although I see from GMaps the movement is possible).

Unrelated: GMaps, at least at the scale I was at to scroll from my default position down to Dallas, isn't showing the new segment of I-69 in Indiana yet.
The unumbered highway is the Bush Turnpike (TX 190) and it does go close to DFW airport. If we could have local high speed rail next to every urban freeway this would be really great!

Last edited by FM 2258; December 11th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Miracles like that won't happen. Traffic growth alone is bigger than all public transport in the region. Public transport is not suited for large suburban areas like DFW. Only a few corridors between job centers are viable.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1940
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
As time goes on I feel that the U.S. should focus more on efficient, well connected public transportation than expanding freeways. I'd be more excited if they would extend DART rail out to Greenville. If the infrastructure still exists, they can fix up the defunct railway instead of building a highway.

I love highways, but I really hate paying for gas, also I hate sitting in traffic. Getting more people off the roads is better than increasing road capacity to add more cars in my opinion.

Hell if they're going to build this highway, put DART rail in the median, win-win. Give me an option other than just using a car.

The unumbered highway is the Bush Turnpike (TX 190) and it does go close to DFW airport. If we could have local high speed rail next to every urban freeway this would be really great!
I agree but good luck with the American mentality of mass transit and urban planning. Most people in the suburbs will continue to drive.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
united states