daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1961
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Dallas has the shortest average commute times among major U.S. metropolitan areas. New York City has the longest. Higher population density + high mass transit usage = longest average commute. Lower density + lower mass transit usage = shortest average commute.

Manhattan (33 square miles) has a longer average commute than Los Angeles County (4,100 square miles)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1962
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Dallas has the shortest average commute times among major U.S. metropolitan areas. New York City has the longest. Higher population density + high mass transit usage = longest average commute. Lower density + lower mass transit usage = shortest average commute.

Manhattan (33 square miles) has a longer average commute than Los Angeles County (4,100 square miles)
I'm not sure Manhattan to Los Angeles County is a valid comparison. (And I'm not sure what it means: is that the average commute of people who work in Manhattan or the average commute of people who live there, which would be very different numbers?) Manhattan to...some chunk of Los Angeles including the downtown...would probably be better.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1963
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The average commute time of people who live there.

It's a common misconception that higher density means more efficient transportation. Maybe from a collective point of view, but people are individuals.
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1964
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
The average commute time of people who live there.

It's a common misconception that higher density means more efficient transportation. Maybe from a collective point of view, but people are individuals.
Now that surprises me.

I'm sure I've mentioned here the column I read (in the late 90s, so it may no longer be true) that said that more people in Philadelphia walk to work than in any other city in the country (not a higher percentage - more people). I've always supposed that that's because our yuppie residential neighborhoods are right downtown so the sort of person who, in Manhattan, would have a five-mile subway ride is walking a few blocks here.* I'm not sure what that does to your density point, though.

*For a few years in the early 2000s, my ten-block walk was the longest commute (longest in distance) in my department of five people. I'm not making that up.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #1965
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

The NYC metro policies resulted in the longest commute in the nation among all MSAs. 11 minutes longer than the second one, Chicago, and 17 minutes longer than the " 'autocentric sprawled always congested' area of Los Angeles"

Commutes on transit-heavy cities in US are always longer. The only outlier there is Atlanta, which has an extremely poor road network (be it highways but also arterials, which are lacking much).
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1966
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hong Kong has the longest average commute times of any developed city in the world, almost 20 minutes longer than Los Angeles.
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1967
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Texas is so big, its developed (roads/houses/industry/infrastructure/any non-farm building) area is less than 8%, compared to much higher percentages on Northern East Coast states.
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1968
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19146

Quote:
Wow, that's interesting statistic. Where did you get it from?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1969
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Los Angeles, mean travel time to work 29.1 minutes

Manhattan (New York County), mean travel time to work 30.1 minutes

Both are from the Census Bureau
Old December 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1970
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

A whole minute! :-O

;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1971
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Compare the size of the counties though.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1972
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Yes, but if you actually like city life and being able to walk anywhere - which is presumably why people choose to pay astronomical prices for Manhattan apartments - the land area of Los Angeles County (half of which is desert and forest anyway...) is irrelevant to you. 30 minutes to get from the west 80s to Wall Street looks better to you than the 29 minutes it might take you to get from Canoga Park to Burbank. Because you'd rather be in the west 80s than Canoga Park. Granted, there are lots of people who'd rather be in Canoga Park than the west 80s, but - and this may come as a surprise to some people - not everyone feels that way.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; December 13th, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #1973
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Yes, but if you actually like city life and being able to walk anywhere - which is presumably why people choose to pay astronomical prices for Manhattan apartments - the land area of Los Angeles County (half of which is desert and forest anyway...) is irrelevant to you. 30 minutes to get from the west 80s to Wall Street looks better to you than the 29 minutes it might take you to get from Canoga Park to Burbank. Because you'd rather be in the west 80s than Canoga Park. Granted, there are lots of people who'd rather be in Canoga Park than the west 80s, but - and this may come as a surprise to some people - not everyone feels that way.
The problem with Manhattan is that due to astronomical prices many people have to commute even longer from the outer boroughs.
Let say that NYC and LA are just totally different models of cities. Both have some advantages and disadvantages.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #1974
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
that is me I would rather be in Canogar park driving to Burbank that in the west 80 anytime of my life and I would not pay a penny to live surrounded by monster skyscrapers, I rather live in Sandy Spring, the woodland, orange county, Scottsdale, Boulder, Charlotte than NY
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1975
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
As much as I love NYC more than likely you are either wealthy or living in the projects in Manhattan. The middle class worker can afford to live in a closet in Manhattan otherwise most of them live in the outer boroughs or suburbs of LI or NJ and I guarantee you that isn't a 30 minute drive. ;_
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1976
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm not arguing about the merits of density versus sprawl, not going into the economics of living in Manhattan (I couldn't do it either, and wouldn't want to: I'm a city person but New York's too much for me...), just pointing out that comparing Manhattan to Los Angeles is very apples-and-oranges and challenging the (unstated) assumptions of some people that everyone prefers suburban life (or ought to) and that short commutes would be the deciding factor in where one lives, as well as the (stated) proposition that low density automatically means shorter commute times.

Although it would be interesting to survey the subway commuters of Park Slope or my ferry-riding relatives on Staten Island - or even Long Islanders who spend an hour each way on the LIRR every day - to see how many of them, given a choice (i.e. the money to do it) between living 30 miles outside Dallas and living in Manhattan would choose Dallas.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1977
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

The Rebuilt Greenarces Overpass over the Bronx River Parkway...

image hosted on flickr

Greenarces Ave Overpass - Scarsdale,New York by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Scarsdale - Bronx river underpass

image hosted on flickr

035 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

036 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Some Misc Bronx River Parkway scences in White Plains...

image hosted on flickr

043 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

034 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Bronx River Parkway - Harlem line and Bronx River Bridge in White Plains

image hosted on flickr

049 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

053 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Bronx River Parkway in Downtown White Plains

image hosted on flickr

059 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

069 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

071 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

072 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1978
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A new 45 mile north-south corridor is planned in Northern Virginia, linking I-95 with the rapidly growing western suburbs of Washington in Virginia. This area lacks a decent north-south corridor, and the area is still very dependent on I-495, which has changed from an outer bypass to a busy commuter highway.

Old December 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1979
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

I read somewhere that Virginia and Maryland are backdooring their way to building that Outer Washington Beltway. All these new parkways in the Northern VA counties plus the ICC in Maryland have me believing it now.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1980
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's inevitable. Washington metro area is by far the fastest growing in the northeast. In terms of population growth it resembles more that of a Sunbelt city than a northeastern city. Though most population growth appears to be in Northern Virginia. This is also where most jobs are.

Tags
united states