daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Retroceder   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Αθήνα | Athens

Αθήνα | Athens Μητροπολιτική Αθήνα | Metropolitan Athens

Respuesta

Herramientas
Antiguo 12-04-2008, 16:34:13   #1
Arxitektonas
Architect Engineer

Likes (Received): 45

Πειραιάς | Piraeus, the port of Athens

The Piraeus and its tower

The port

Drapetsona

Keratsini

The dock in Neo Iconio

Perama

HQ of Hellenic Navy in Salamis and some frigates

Arxitektonas no está en línea   Responder Con Cita

Sponsored Links

Antiguo 13-04-2008, 16:41:59   #2
Reaper-strain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I think they should attempt to put back the symbolic Lion the Venetians stole as symbol of the port.
Reaper-strain no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 13-04-2008, 20:01:26   #3
arxeos

Likes (Received): 204

never heard of any lion but it looked alot better long ago
Antiguo 13-04-2008, 23:32:51   #4
AAL

Likes (Received): 14

The lion was stolen centuries ago. The lion was the reason the Italians called it Porto Leone. I think they should place a replica there.

Well, you don't see much of the city in those pictures, as they show mostly port facilities. Pireus does have some very nice buildings, including the magnificent municipal theatre.
AAL no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 14-04-2008, 02:40:23   #5
NickyF
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Piraeus, is one of those precincts crying out for major investement and redevelopment.

It's a real shame that the largest port in greece and one of the largest in the Mediterrean looks so bland and run-down.

This is one of the most significant gateways in greece and yet appears to receive no government attention when it comes to beautification or other urban interventions.

Don't get me wrong, Piraeus has numerous attractive pockets, its just the overall picture that this so disappointing.

And no offence to Pasok voters, but electing an ex-basketball player as mayor is not really going to drive the urban renewal process.

There are businessmen in the middle east, western europe and china clamouring to invest in Piraeus, but the greek state in all its inefficiency continues to stifle the growth of Piraeus.

By the way the Lion The Piraeus was brought to Venice as a war trophy in 1687.

One also has to ask, who did more damage to the remnants of Classical Athens, the Ottomans or the Venetians..?

Piraeus Council officials should ask for ithe Lion's return.....however, I doubt the modern day barbarians that run Piraeus are upto the task.
NickyF no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 14-04-2008, 10:33:11   #6
Reaper-strain
BANNED

I agree. I would like to the symbol of the Lion there again. This is a very important port and I want it to be more than just potential. For me the city does have some nice architecture - not much but some, but in the main, it could be a lot improved in more ways than one. Here are some pictures I like of the port and the lion that was plundered all those years ago sitting in Italy:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A lot wrong with this and why I think the city can see major improvements:

image hosted on flickr

and here is our lion which I am surprised the Greeks never asked back as it is the symbol of the whole port:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Última edición por Reaper-strain fecha: 14-04-2008 a las 10:56:12
Antiguo 15-04-2008, 02:55:24   #7
NickyF
BANNED

Reaper, did you notice the 'Scandinavian runes' inscribed into the lions right shoulder ?

Apparently, Viking mercenaries carved it into the lions back when they were in Athens pillaging etc.

It doesn't appear to really command a very dignified position in Venice does it.

We should ask for its return, as I don't think the Venetian Authorities are all that attached to it.
Antiguo 15-04-2008, 13:11:23   #8
Reaper-strain
BANNED

I agree. I actually suggested that and was lambasted on this forum for the idea. I do not see why we cannot ask for this back. It is was plundered, it is the symbol of Piraeus and it would take pride of place back in its home where it would be truly respected.
Antiguo 16-04-2008, 11:10:11   #9
AAL

Respected? Do you seriously believe a work of art can be exhibited at street level in this country and be respected? I have been actually very (positively) impressed by the situation in Italy. You see sculptures, centuries old, at street level and nobody vandalizes them. In Greece, it has to be in a museum or at least high on a pillar or a rooftop, otherwise the vandals will have their way with it. Football fans, totally oblivious of what it is, will only be happy to destroy yet another artifact. Leftists with long beards and unpleasant body odours will write slogans celebrating the blah blah blah anniversary of the Russian revolution...SYRIZA fans will stick Mr Tsipras face on it, happy to have found yet another available surface to advertize their idol... Look at Hadrian's gate: they had to put railings all around it to protect it. As for the statues around the University building, half of the time they have moustaches painted on them, and the other half they are surrounded by scaffoldings, as restorers clean them...of course they don't remain clean for too long, new vandals arrrive soon and the cycle starts again. No, urban culture in his country has gone down the drain after WWII and the civil war. It is sad but true. I think a replica is all we deserve for our streets...

Of course I would be happy to see the original be returned to Greece, as long as it is protected in a museum.

A tangential thought: what the authorities could do in the case of many works of art in the street, is to place them in the centre of small pond, create a sort of a fountain around them. This could both look good and at the same time it deter vandals.
Antiguo 16-04-2008, 12:53:30   #10
Reaper-strain
BANNED

I think you are confusing Venice with the rest of Italy or perhaps this is simply another example of the 'Italian myth.' Their street sculptures get vandalised as well - all the time, the further south, the more obviously. The biggest shock I ever had was graffiti on Pompeii's painted walls: 'Paolo + Maria' with a heart sign and such. They have so much sculpture in Italy is doesn't matter to them - however the very important pieces they usually replace with replicas also like Michelangelo's David in Florence - the original being inside, the fake in the street.

I think the Pireaus lion should return and the fact that a student may write something on it as anywhere in the med, makes no difference. I think it should be put on a high plinth - maybe slightly in the sea. The people you list you wont respect it, 'SYRIZA fans' and such will be out-weighed by those who do respect and it could become a tourist sight and sculpture of pride for the port. Anyways I will end my post on some sculpture in Italy that is 'respected' as you put it:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Última edición por Reaper-strain fecha: 16-04-2008 a las 13:21:18
Antiguo 16-04-2008, 15:01:45   #11
LEAFS FANATIC

Likes (Received): 141

Great post Reaper.

People! Before crticizing Greece, (and don't get me wrong, the criticism is well deserved in this matter), and praising other contries like Italy, please visit these countries first. I was in Rome, Milan, and Venice just last summer. I was DISAPPOINTINGLY SURPRISED at the tonnes of graffitti I saw EVERYWHERE. It was on historic artifacts, building walls, stadiums, bridhes, homes, etc. It was as bad, if not worse, than the graffitti found in Athens. I am not saying this justifies what is happening in Athens. What I am saying is that there are malakes everywhere, not only in Greece.
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 16-04-2008, 16:16:56   #12
AAL

Cita:
Empezado por LEAFS FANATIC Ver Mensaje
Great post Reaper.

People! Before crticizing Greece, (and don't get me wrong, the criticism is well deserved in this matter), and praising other contries like Italy, please visit these countries first. I was in Rome, Milan, and Venice just last summer. I was DISAPPOINTINGLY SURPRISED at the tonnes of graffitti I saw EVERYWHERE. It was on historic artifacts, building walls, stadiums, bridhes, homes, etc. It was as bad, if not worse, than the graffitti found in Athens. I am not saying this justifies what is happening in Athens. What I am saying is that there are malakes everywhere, not only in Greece.
Of course I have been to Italy, I never talk about things I do not know. It would be plain stupid to do so. But it seems we have been to different cities! My impressions are from Rome and Florence. I was especially impressed with the situation in Florence. I never saw anything like what is in these photos. Maybe the more to the south you go the worse it gets...Sad but true, there are malakes everyhere!!!

Reaper, I agree, a really high plinth might be a solution
Antiguo 17-04-2008, 02:14:58   #13
Reaper-strain
BANNED

Cita:
Empezado por AAL Ver Mensaje
Of course I have been to Italy, I never talk about things I do not know. It would be plain stupid to do so. But it seems we have been to different cities! My impressions are from Rome and Florence. I was especially impressed with the situation in Florence. I never saw anything like what is in these photos. Maybe the more to the south you go the worse it gets...Sad but true, there are malakes everyhere!!!

Reaper, I agree, a really high plinth might be a solution
Well most the pictures I posted were Roma. What happens AAL is they are constantly cleaning all the graffiti off their more important sculptures and monuments the way they do in Greece. As you said, there are malakas everywhere - however I must admit, I have travelled around Italy (but not Sicily or Venice however) and the graffiti problem there is extremely bad in urban centres - on a par with Spain - I would say definitely worse than Greece.

I think a nice tall plinth with the lion on top - well lit will look good. I am surprised there is no campaign for the lion. Venice is full of other culture's objects they have looted. I am sure the lion will be a lot easier to get than say the Elgin Marbles which are obviously far more important however.
Antiguo 17-04-2008, 05:51:26   #14
SonOfSparta
Γνώθι σαυτόν

Likes (Received): 2

Piraeus is one of the ugliest large urban centres in Greece if not Europe. Since I have family there, I have no choice but to go to the port city everytime I visit Greece. I don't know if there are enough bulldozers and dynamite in Europe to tear the city down and start over again. For all the buildings in Piraeus, only the 2 below do I find somewhat interesting along with its 2 big stadiums.

Nice Pireaus

Bad Piraeus, (Most of the city looks like this)....

Need I say more?

Again as someone who believes the best Greek buildings were built in the 5th Century BC, here is a small sample of Piraeus better art and architecture days.

The Lion Of Piraeus (copy at the Archaeological Museum of Piraeus)

The bronze Hellenistic Athena one of the best examples of Greek bronze.

This tomb grave relief is of the late Classical era also at the Piraeus Museum.

This tomb created some 2300 years later is at the First Cemetery of Athens, and you can see the influence the Pagan Ancients had on this Christian Tomb.

Lastly even though I am not a fan of Piraeus or its harbour, here is a photo of a replica trireme as used by the Athenians to fight the Persians at the battle of Salamis at 480 BC.

And the Queen Mary II at port in August 2004 for the Olympic Games.

For Piraeus to ask the Lion Back from Venice the civic authorities should first create a long term plan for the city. Much more green space has to be introduced into the city, along with infrastructure, to bring some dignity to this port polis. Athens built the New Acropolis Museum in order to be in a better position to ask for the Parthenon Sculptures back, Piraeus has to seriously create real public space, new archaeological space, and a long term plan for a new Archaeological Museum before it could seriously ask for its Lion back.

BTW The bronze horses at St. Marks in Venice were taken by Napoleon brought to Paris and returned to Venice after his defeat in the late 1800s. Now these same horses in Venice were previously taken from the Hippodrome at Constantinople in 1204. The Hippodrome at Constantinople was rebuilt in 324 adorned with these sculptures. One of the emperors of Constantinople brought them from Rome. Roman Emperor Nero may have got them inturn from a Greek Campaign. Some scholars believe they were created in the 4th century BC by the Greek sculptor Lysippos, others say they are Roman copies of his work. So where do they belong? Moral of story, much of the art we see has gone back and forth to various victors of war and their true origin may never be known. Although this is not the case with the Piraeus Lion.

Última edición por SonOfSparta fecha: 19-01-2009 a las 04:51:49
SonOfSparta no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 18-04-2008, 02:51:13   #15
NickyF
BANNED

I agree with everything that you have touched on in your post.

The real problem is whether our civic officials are upto the challenge......in all honesty, I don't beleive so.
Antiguo 18-04-2008, 16:59:48   #16
olahtipota

peiraias

Είναι αδύνατον να μιλάμε για διεθνές ναυτιλιακό κέντρο για μια πόλη που μοιάζει τριτοκοσμική. ΑΝΑΠΛΑΣΕΙΣ ΑΜΕΣΩΣ ΣΕ ΟΛΟ ΤΟΝ ΠΕΙΡΑΙΑ. Αναπαλαιώσεις ΟΛΩΝ των παλαιών κτιρίων, γκρέμισμα άχρηστων κτηρίων, ανακατασκευή πεζοδρομείων, δημιουργία ΠΑΡΚΙΝ ΠΑΝΤΟΥ, και παρα πολύ σημαντικά: νέα ασφαλτόστρωση οδικού δικτίου και ΣΥΓΧΡΟΝΟΣ ΗΛΕΚΤΡΟΦΩΤΙΣΜΟΣ ΟΔΩΝ. Είναι αδιανόητο να υπάρχουν δρόμοι ημιφωτισμένοι και κακοφωτισμένοι σε πόλη που φιλοδοξεί να γίνει διεθνές ναυτιλιακό κέντρο. ΠΛΗΡΗΣ αντικατάσταση του ηλετροφωτισμού με σύγρονους και φουτουριστικούς πυλώνες φωτισμού!!!! ΤΕΡΜΑ ΣΤΙΣ ΚΑΜΕΝΕΣ ΛΑΜΠΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΣΤΟΝ ΜΙΖΕΡΟ ΦΩΤΙΣΜΟ. Ένα διεθνές ναυτιλιακό κέντρο πρέπει να λάμπει τη νύχτα!!!!! Ας τα διαβάσουν αυτα οι αρμόδιοι στο δήμο και στα αρμόδια υπουργεία, ας γίνουν τα βασικά αυτά βήματα και μετα να μιλάμε για να γίνει ο πειραιάς λονδίνο.
olahtipota no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 18-04-2008, 17:35:55   #17
AVassilios

Cita:
Empezado por SonOfSparta Ver Mensaje
Bad Piraeus, (Most of the city looks like this)....

Need I say more?
Yes! because i can't see anything bad on this pic!!! ok the sidewalk is not in a perfect mood (but you can walk on it!), and the moto is not the best, but i see motos like that in zurich too...say more, i don't understand you! Pireas is nice, it smells only a bit to much like Diesel...but the one million question: where from is it?

AVassilios
Antiguo 18-04-2008, 20:17:23   #18
SonOfSparta
Γνώθι σαυτόν

Well I am sorry to say this but if you can't see anything bad in the photo you might want to travel and see what else is out there. Small one way streets, people driving like maniacs, bars on most store windows, small street signs people can't see, graffiti, stray dogs, neoclassical buldings crumbling, ugly apartment buildings etc. etc....My cousins left Sparti for Piraeus! WHY? How noisy are the streets at night at Piraeus, how dirty, I can't even breath most of the time I visit the place. Are there any trees or parks? Where do kids play? Why do people swim in the dirty water beaches of Piraeus? I am sorry to be truthful, but the people who live in Piraeus need to push their civic government to do more for the environment and the city. I am sure the people in Calcutta think its beautiful over there too, but that's because they haven't lived or known anywhere better.

BTW I can't recall the name of the street I took the picture with the Vespa, I believe it was close to Vasileous Georgiou and Lambraki Grigoriou.

Última edición por SonOfSparta fecha: 18-04-2008 a las 20:46:39
SonOfSparta no está en línea   Responder Con Cita
Antiguo 19-04-2008, 09:31:04   #19
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 444

Stay tuned for a major update on Piraeus for the next few hours ...

One of my favorite spots in the Athens Greater area and with a bit of luck, a city waiting to develop like no other. !!!
Antiguo 21-04-2008, 11:01:50   #20
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 444

Piraeus - The Other Side

Speaking about Piraeus, the first remark that an experienced eye may see is its Dr Jekyll - Mr Hyde image. Some areas are utterly ugly but others are just about right and a few are a real beauty to see.

Overall I like this city and every time I visit it I have a good time. The small yacht ports like Mikrolimanon and Marina Zeas are unique in their Mediterranean atmosphere and remind me of cities like Marseille. Other locations, like the Akti Miaouli remind me of a international cosmopolitan shipping and trading center.

Also, I consider the center of Piraeus ugly. But the greatest ugliness which is a shame for the city is the still incomplete 24-storey

Piraeus Tower. This building was given building permit during the years of the military Junta but was never completed or inhabited above the second floor.

I hope that the current mayor Mr Fasoulas will fulfill his promise and complete it as it is the biggest and most visible proof that Piraeus did not take the attention and interest it deserved from the Greek state. As long as this wound in the heart of Piraeus is visibly open, we cannot talk about "modern" cities or consider that this port may become competitive as an international port.

Other than that, Piraeus has the capacity to become a model-city. We have already see, for instance the regeneration proposal for a new Business and shipping center in Drapetsona, to the west of the main port, at the site of the old fertilizers factory plant. Unfortunately, in this case too the Greek reality kicks in and things move too slow. Chances are that things may change though, only I hope this happens before I get too old to move around and see them...

All but one of the following pictures are mine and were taken between 2006 and 2008. Too bad I didn't have the time create a presentation but anyway, here they are now for your viewing pleasure.

Enjoy!!!

-Overview of the main port and the incomplete tower from the east side.

Looking towards the same direction but a littlle to the left, one cannot fail to observe the new ministry of Commercial,Maritime with its Port Control Tower which is the tallest inhabited structure built in Greece after the 1980s with 13 floors and a height of 45 meters.

-Views of the Peace and Friendship stadium as well as the Olympiakos FC stadium (the red one) from the Peiraiki Peninsula looking north-east towards Athens. Well, these ain't exactly central Piraeus but still, they are considered city icons...

-The same area from above overlooking the gigantic junction of Posseidonos, ifissos and Ethnarchou Makariou Avenues, also including stations for the Tram and the line 1 of the Athens Metro.

(C) The Air Club of Serres/ airphotos.gr

Additional and more spectacular image from the same spot HERE

Classic Piraeus: The little ports and marinas with some of the best fish restaurants in Greece:

-The Churches, some of them amongst the finest in Greece.

Aghia Triada (Holy Trinity) Church

Aghios Nikolaos (St Nikolas Church)

An interesting spot is the area of the terminal metro station for line 1. Completed long ago in a Parisian late 19th century architectural style is now considered a jewel of the city. The building was completely renovated for the 2004 Olympics.

The first picture is a collage of a couple of pictures I took from the footbridge of the Akti Posseidonos Avenue:

-The square in front of the bulding, again, taken from the modern footbridge:

-The Akti Posseidonos and the port taken from the footbridge

-The footbridge itself is already considered a landmark for the port, besides its functional utility, i.e. connecting the docks with the rail station:

Something else that needs to be mentioned here is that Piraeus is not just the inner city ugliness or mediocrity that many of us describe here, as seemn in the next couple of photos taken from a small shopping center in Iroon Polytechnioy street:

There are many spots which can be remarcable, such as Terpsitheas Square:

...where if you look closer you may see this building which is probably the most advanced in the whole of Piraeus in terms of design:

Look closely:

Also, I am surprised that nobody here mentioned the buildings of the small yet notable shipping business center in the Akti Miaoulis which, even by European standards is quite good, and not reminiscent of the ugly spots of the city:

-And now, the revelation: The Business and Shipping Center in Akti Miaoulis, and some of its buildings. FIRST TIME seen in this forum:

-The remarkable icon here is the Piraeus Expo center, previously used as a passenger station. Pas mal huh?

Other buildings:

This one is a classic, built in the early 70's by Andreas Vourekas, it is considered one of the pioneering landmarks of Greek modernism:

and some others, most built from the 1980s onwards:

Finally, some pictures from the Piraeus tower. Observe the advert on its facade, probably to remind us that its height and presence is still alien to the reality of the city on its foot:

They are here!!!

That was all folks, I hope you enjoyed it

Última edición por gm2263 fecha: 26-04-2008 a las 10:09:16
gm2263 no está en línea   Responder Con Cita

Respuesta

Tags
gotcu serhat

Herramientas

Normas de Publicación