daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #1
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

A walk through Paris' affluent West

Part II: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=606702

On our last visit to Paris last month (March 2008), my friends and I decided to walk through some boulevards and avenues of Paris' affluent West. I'm not sure what defines the West but it's safe to say we were in it since it definetely includes the 16th and 8th arrondissements. Tourists usually do not venture into these rich parts of Paris (unless they are lodging in an expensive hotel), except when they are visiting the Champs Elysée and Arc of Triomphe in the 8th, the Eiffel Tower and Les Invalides in the 7th, or the Trocadéro across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower in the 16th. However, tourists just hop back on their tour bus or get back in the métro without visiting the rest. I'm sure the residents are glad this is the case, as the neighborhoods we visited were for the most part quiet, many in the 16th exclusively residential with the occassional pharmacy, bakery, café, etc. at intersections.

This was our 2.5 mile walk through the 16th arrondissement exclusively, our first visit of West Paris. This part looked boring but interesting, nonetheless, since we were in a sea of some of Paris' highest real-estate.

We begin at Place Etoile where the Arc de Triomphe sits and where 12 avenues meet. To have an idea of the size of this monument, look at the size of the people visiting the top. Can't see them?

Now you can?

We enter the 16th through Avenue Foch. This is Paris' widest avenue, yet a lot is dedicated to generous park strips on both sides, rather than the road.

When you live in one of Paris' most expensive avenue, not only do you get a lot of space between your apartment building and the road, but you also get a car wash, gasoline station and parking lot, but underground of course, so they are not an eye sore.

Looking back.

We now turn left onto Avenue Raymond Poincaré. I love these type of Paris buildings. I believe they are from very late 1800s/very early 1900s(?), as opposed to the more classic 1850s/1860s/1870s "Haussmann" buildings.

A side-street.

We reach Place Victor Hugo, where my friends pose for a pic.

Selling Easter chocolates throughout Paris chocolatiers.

We're still at Place Victor Hugo. It's because 10 streets radiate from it and we're trying to get to the continuation of Av. R. Poincaré.

***Paris overall tends to be much more homogeneous than other cities. Tones of beige dominate and the Haussmannization of the avenues, boulevards and other main roads can be overwhelmingly repetitive. However, if you look closely, each building is slightly or significantly different...or in this case, completely different. Order and harmony reign, however, at least that was part of Haussmann's plan, which is still implemented in part today. In spite of so much contemporary architecture throughout the city and in completely rebuilt neighborhoods, Paris still seems very homogeneous to many.

We reach Place du Trocadéro. Just across the Seine River is the Eiffel Tower.

I will continue with this tour tomorrow. Check back tomorrow

Last edited by edubejar; May 31st, 2008 at 04:26 AM.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

Beautiful pictures
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Minato ku

Nice tour.
The 16th arrondissement is dominated by 20th century building, (mainly by pre WWII and 1970's buildings)

The 8th arrondissemnt is not a residencial arrondissement, there is few inhabitants, there is mainly office building.

This avenue (Avenue de la Grande Arme) the Champs Elysee in the other side, avenue du General de Gaulle after the Peripherique to La Defense is dominated by offices, that's why some study tend to include La Defense with the central CBD of Paris.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g?t=1208054688
A picture for Monkey, a black in the 16th arrondissement incredible.
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

Fantastic tour!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
edubejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The 8th arrondissemnt is not a residencial arrondissement, there is few inhabitants, there is mainly office building.
I agree. I tried to specify that the 16th arrondissement, or atleast the part we were in (upper part) was largely residential, while the 8th is not. Actually, the 16th district is huge and I know that some areas in the middle and lower 16th arrondissement is more mixed-use, especially along main roads. But in the case of Av. Foch, Av. R. Poincaré, and George Mandel/Av. Henri Martin and Boulevard Suché were exlusively residential in most parts with the occasional corner businesses.

I will now continue with the rest of the tour ending at Boulevard Suché.
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #6
edubejar

I have decided to continue this tour of West Paris in this second thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=606702
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #7
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
We reach Place Victor Hugo, where my friends pose for a pic.
That's the church where my grandparents got married, to the right of your picture. That was back in 1928 and my grandma was wearing one of these roaring twenties' hat and dress instead of the traditional wedding gown. Times flies!

Concerning your thread, when I saw the title I thought it was going to be pictures of the western suburbs (St Cloud, Le Vésinet, La Celle St Cloud, Le Chesnay). That's what people usually mean when they say l'ouest parisien in French. I've never heard anyway living in the 16th arrondissement saying they live dans l'ouest parisien.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:34 AM   #8
edubejar

The supercars of Etoile-Foch parking garage

Apparently this is the underground parking garage that I captured on one of my pics:

Last edited by edubejar; May 31st, 2008 at 04:40 AM. Reason: to be more clear
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Karakuri
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Wow, guys parking their BMW there may be quite ashamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
A picture for Monkey, a black in the 16th arrondissement incredible.
Karakuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM   #10
WolfHound
College Student

Likes (Received): 4

Where are the bugattis lol. Anways nice pics I'll be in Paris in November for a couple of nights. I can't wait Paris is a fantastique city.
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Yörch

Likes (Received): 235

Nice tour Edubejar! I can't wait to be there!
Yörch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Bogdan Alexandru

Likes (Received): 1

I think Paris threads should be banned ! It's like driving your Lamborghini in a really poor district and counting cash with your window down! Like eating ice cream in front of a child! I don't know how you guys think of the place you live in, but Paris is like one of the best cities in the world! I don't dare to compare it with my Bucharest!
Bogdan Alexandru no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
paris photo