daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM   #461
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

The "Marilyn Monroe" towers.

Very cool towers! Thanks for all the pictures.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #462
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57932

I don't like twisted towers, but those are some of the better ones. Still, they really don't fit the rather boxy skyline and look somewhat misplaced.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #463
Jasonzed

Likes (Received): 1573

makes it the perfect place to put them...

Please visit myMississauga thread in Urban Showcase
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=641695

myPictures and drone videos
www.jasonzedsky.com
Jasonzed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #464
girlicious_likeme
Some Random User

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I don't like twisted towers, but those are some of the better ones. Still, they really don't fit the rather boxy skyline and look somewhat misplaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzed View Post
makes it the perfect place to put them...
I agree with Jason. Since the surroundings are boxy, then this will stand out among the rest. That's why this is the landmark tower pair, right?

Another thing is that this will challenge developers to step up their design in this intersection. Remember that this city will get rid of the parking lots and replace them with mixed use developments. And the area is far from being built-out.

Last edited by girlicious_likeme; November 25th, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
girlicious_likeme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #465
Jasonzed

agreed.

Photo by Taller, Better

www.jasonzedsky.com
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #466
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 816

I like how Mississauga has developed a skyline. It didn't look like this at all 10 years ago
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #467
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkanada View Post
I like how Mississauga has developed a skyline. It didn't look like this at all 10 years ago
I wouldn't be surprised if the Mississauga skyline was as good as Vancouver, Calgary, or Montreal in about 20 years. I don't think there are height restrictions in Mississauga either. No shadow police there.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #468
Jasonzed

Agreed
From the G&M

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...1815179/page1/

Like Marilyn herself, the Absolute Tower is smart, sexy, built to impress

A closeup of the "Marilyn" tower - A closeup of the "Marilyn" tower | The Globe and Mail
Lisa Rochon: Cityscapes
Like Marilyn herself, the Absolute Tower is smart, sexy, built to impress
LISA ROCHON | Columnist profile | E-mail
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Nov. 26, 2010 4:30PM EST
Last updated Friday, Nov. 26, 2010 5:10PM EST

It’s a pileup of floor plates that cavort and shimmy in and out of an elliptical tower shape. A she-building, with curves of glass dressed in a corset of horizontal ribs. If Issey Miyake were an architect instead of a fashion designer, he might have imagined the Absolute Tower just this way: an intelligent, shifting sheath that sashays around the body.
Previous columns by Lisa Rochon

Architecture lives in Mississauga. At long last. In a city with a reputation for building an unstoppable dull-scape, the Absolute condominium development has created some serious architecture envy. Last week, there were fireworks exploding from the 56-storey marvel by Beijing-based MAD Architects, to celebrate the tower’s topping-off. Yes, I know. To people living in major urban centres across Canada, where architecture is increasingly understood as a civic badge of honour, the making of an icon in a fiefdom of sprawl is unthinkable – an oxymoron.

Commonly referred to as the Marilyn, the tower rotates clockwise between one and eight degrees. Supporting walls run longer or shorter depending on the configuration of the floor plates. C-shaped walls around the elevator shafts are used as key structural elements and to house mechanical systems. In the tower’s midsection, 10 floors rotate at the full eight degrees, creating the striking sashay in the building profile.

The horizontal ribs are, in fact, cantilevered balconies, which run seamlessly around the curves of the condo tower, one on top of the other all the way up. We’ve become conditioned to the architectural daring of art galleries and museums. The Absolute is a condo tower – a triumph of organic movement – brought to life by private developers.

The 56-storey Absolute "Marilyn" tower stands out in downtown Mississauga.

The 56-storey Absolute "Marilyn" tower stands out in downtown Mississauga. — The Globe and Mail

Next to the Marilyn is another she-building, not as visually arresting, but a worthy partner to the compelling courtesan. Under serious cloud cover, when the crystal-grey glass on the buildings grows dark, they appear to be a pair of elongated armadillos. The towers are the spectacular standouts in a five-tower complex called Absolute. The first three, with conventional designs, are already occupied. Marilyn will be open next year; her shapely sidekick, the year after that.

MAD Architects are significant as designers that have freed (like a handful of others) the condo tower from its slab rigidity. They know how to capture the naturalistic, irregular stacking that can occur, say, in China’s mountain ranges, while maintaining the vertical height of a skyscraper.

Architecture that pushes and pulls along floor plates (rather than the jagged volumes of a Daniel Libeskind or Zaha Hadid) has been gaining currency of late. In Chicago, there’s the Aqua Tower with its dynamic wave-like balconies, by Studio Gang. There’s the Gwanggyo Power Centre in Seoul, its mixed-use buildings shaped like cones, each floor lined with box hedges, by Rotterdam-based MVRDV architects.

Recently, MAD has taken the Absolute concept much further by proposing a heavily greened skyscraper for Chongqing, China. But, remember, all you design aficionados in Toronto or wherever you may be, the slipping, stacked phenomenon started first in Mississauga.

Whose afraid of a Philistine mayor when you have passionate builders and city staff? Serious kudos goes to Absolute’s partnership builders, the local Cityzen Development Group and Fernbrook Homes. Fernbrook president, Danny Salvatore, tells me that he’d grown tired of nearly 20 years of building subdivisions: “I knew that in order to put me ahead of the competition, I had to do iconic buildings.” At the same time, the Mississauga planning department, led by Edward Sajecki, made it clear that the city, which does not impose height limits, was looking for a gateway building for its downtown.

In 2005, the builders launched an open, international design competition that attracted 92 submissions. Ma Yansong, who studied at Yale, led MAD to victory with a tower of svelte gentility. The jury endorsed the design, but fretted about its buildability. So did Salvatore. To deal with that issue, he hired Burka Varacalli Architects as local design architects, and his own long-time colleague, structural engineer Sigmund Soudack, to weigh in with his 45 years of engineering experience.

Last week, when I visited the Absolute at Hurontario Street and Burnhamthorpe Road, howling winds and construction dust were blowing in fierce gusts around the concrete tower. Deep within the building, Soudack, known as Siggy, and who still speaks with an accent from his native Poland, unrolled architecture drawings in the on-site building office. With him was his colleague, Yury Gelman, an engineer, originally from Ukraine, who has experience designing gravity-based structures that sit on the bottom of the ocean within the Hibernia oil fields.

Anthony Pignetti and Sergio Vacilotto from nearby Dominus Construction Group were also there to discuss the challenges of building the tower. Their enthusiasm was palpable, and together they formed a team with cultural and professional ties from around the world.

Consensus quickly formed around the practical, lyrical properties of concrete. “Concrete is plastic,” says Soudack. “You can shape it. We love concrete.” Building a rotating skyscraper on shale required intense collaboration between architects, engineers and builders. With every step, the team had to embrace the irregularity of the building plan: that every suite on every floor was uniquely configured.

About a month after the MAD design was released to the public, the Marilyn was sold out to people who didn’t mind paying an extra 20 per cent to address the expensive building problem – a vote of confidence for architectural significance over formulaic housing.

As boulevards go, six-lane Hurontario wins a prize for uninviting and depersonalized. No café culture here. A meanness to the median and to the narrow sidewalk that runs past slab apartment towers. But streetscape improvements in the form of native grasses, benches and planters are promised for next year. And although funding hasn’t been nailed down, transit authority Metrolinx appears committed to the idea of a light-rail transit system to be planted along Hurontario and around a loop in Mississauga’s downtown.

Driving away from Mississauga, I glance in the rear-view mirror and see the Absolute’s silhouette. There she is: jutting her hip onto the horizon, pushing away from the mediocrity that lines the boulevard in an unlikely but lucky corner of the world, where banality has been trumped by a tribute to the female form.

www.jasonzedsky.com
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #469
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

sexy towers
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #470
Jasonzed

from today...

www.jasonzedsky.com
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #471
Atrium
reboot!!!!

Likes (Received): 158

sexy
Atrium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM   #472
Jasonzed

www.jasonzedsky.com
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #473
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

The taller tower is topped out, I think.
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #474
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

Pretty nice for a suburb
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #475
Jasonzed

www.jasonzedsky.com
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #476
Jasonzed

Tower 5 moving up a level...

Tower 4

www.jasonzedsky.com
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #477
Jasonzed

www.jasonzedsky.com
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #478
BBCoach

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice skyline

Hoops Universe: http://hoopsuniverse.net
BBCoach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #479
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Massive. Someone pointed out in the status change thread that it's topped out. Is it? I already changed the title, if it's not topped out yet please let me know.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #480
Jasonzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Massive. Someone pointed out in the status change thread that it's topped out. Is it? I already changed the title, if it's not topped out yet please let me know.
Tower 4 (56s) is topped out but Tower 5 (50s) still has about 7-8 storeys to go...

www.jasonzedsky.com