daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Skylines and Photography > Photographia

Photographia Hints, tips and general photographic know-how

Old April 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #61
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 275

I really keep meaning to get some pictures into the contest, I am hoping to submit a couple when the next cycle begins.

I have a Canon 40D, which I bought body only. My lens of choice is my lovely 70-200/4L IS, a wonderful piece of glass which produces some of the sharpest pictures I've ever taken handheld thanks to the 4 stops of IS, even at the long end. My 'walkabout' lens is a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 DC Macro which again, produces some tack sharp pictures, and great captures wide open. I also have a fixed 50mm 1.8 canon lens, cheap and cheerful but great for portraits.

I do need to work on my post processing techniques though, I shoot exclusively in RAW so that I've got total control over my exposure after the fact but otherwise I know next to nothing about 'enhancing' my images, and I would also love to explore HDR too- not in terms of going too far but just generally giving the pictures an overall exposure which matches the actual scene rather than the limited picture the camera can capture off the bat.

Sponsored Links

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #62
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

That Tokina 11-16mm looks great! I just can't find it anywhere (except ebay) for less than £450! I think I'd still go for the Sigma, though. Oh I don't know! Photography is an expensive hobby!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #63
Site

Likes (Received): 0

that tokina 11-16 looks mint....and appear to be of a much higher quality than the sigma from the review....it will probably be worth that extra 100 quid....
Site no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #64
Medo

Likes (Received): 345

It's only out in Japan at the moment that's why it costs that much. It will be available in the UK sometime in May.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #65
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I don't like that Ken Rockwell though. I remember reading a news article or something completely tearing him to shreds! The author constantly branded him a fake and phoney throughout the article!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old April 29th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #66
mukkjoy

something that most SSC forumers have a fetish for are bags. after looking at the pictures from the wharf walk on sunday i was suprised to see a lack of actual camera bags (unless i wasn't looking hard enough). just wondered what people use for lugging their gear around when out and about.

also how often do people carry their camera?

i'll kick off
- if i'm taking the big camera then i'll use my tamrac adventure 7 http://www.tamrac.com/5547.htm in the colour shown (Urban! with a capital U, Quote-'The Adventure 7 features a youthful, modern and sleek design') and thats nearly every time i go out outside of work.

at work i carry my compact in my pocket all day everyday
mukkjoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #67
Medo

I have an old camera bag that I bought ages ago for my camcorder. It's nothing fancy.
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #68
mukkjoy

yes but how often do you go out with your camera?
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #69
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1749

Heres mine :

Old April 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #70
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 8

What a fetching colour - needs more flowers though

I just have a boring old Lowepro camera bag like this....

When the camera is sitting around at home i leave it in there to stop it getting dusty (2 cats means lots of nasty particles in the air to work its way into my camera.....i've already noticed a few specks of dust )

When i'm out and about though i just shove the camera into my regular Timberland backpack....gotta look cool, ya know.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #71
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I have a brown-ish satchel-like thing. It's not a proper camera bad at all but it does the job without screaming "I'm a photographer, lugging a big, expensive camera around!" I do have a camera bag but I just feel like a prat with it protruding from my waist.

Old April 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #72
mukkjoy

you see thats why i asked, a DSLR is an expensive piece of kit and its not exactly compact (even the so called compact models). you don't want to carry something that shouts 'this is expensive mug me!' so i just wondered what people did and how often they lugged them about.
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #73
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 66

At the moment I have an Olympus F710 and it's a bag of shite. It's alright for taking pictures in perfect light but if it's overcast or slightly dark they look terrible.
Im hoping to get a Nikon D40 for my birthday. Might get the X model but not sure yet. The bog standard one will probably be more than enough for me.
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #74
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 36

i actually think nikon DSLR's have a richer picture quality than of canons or at least among the low to mid range models. i used medo's old D50 when the battery on my canon 300D died and found the pictures from his much more vibrant and clearer than on mine and we both had kit lenses.
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #75
Medo

Good days.

I'll let you use my D300 next time you come.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:55 AM   #76
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 36

gotta wide angle lens for that bad boy? anyway, still on for july?
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM   #77
potto

Likes (Received): 1632

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukkjoy View Post
you see thats why i asked, a DSLR is an expensive piece of kit and its not exactly compact (even the so called compact models). you don't want to carry something that shouts 'this is expensive mug me!' so i just wondered what people did and how often they lugged them about.
I cover the brand and model number in black tape, it makes the camera look older, more generic, more like a workhorse. Usually dont bother with a bag, if I do it just gets put in my normal bag as I think camera bags can look even more obvious than the camera itself!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM   #78
Medo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
gotta wide angle lens for that bad boy? anyway, still on for july?
Yep still on for July. I'm getting the wide angle some time in June.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM   #79
Medo

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
I cover the brand and model number in black tape, it makes the camera look older, more generic, more like a workhorse. Usually dont bother with a bag, if I do it just gets put in my normal bag as I think camera bags can look even more obvious than the camera itself!
That's not a bad idea Potto.

Yeah I too put my camera bag into my normal bag.

Sometimes I think it would be nice if I had a bodyguard so I can go to rough areas, that's where all the interesting photo opportunities are.
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:40 PM   #80
mukkjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
i bloody love that idea it just like when people do it their bikes.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: