daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #61
well-done

Likes (Received): 20

One of the best projects i've seen so far on skyscrapercity, the architecture is simply stunning...
well-done no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #62
Vaughany

Likes (Received): 0

Hello, I have recently visited the Zuidas as part of my Spatial Planning Masters course and was impressed by the architecture there. However, as a follow up to the visit, I am writing an essay that explores multiculturalism, diversity and equality in the context of Dutch Planning with particular reference to Zuidas and the Central Station. I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on this? Do you think that Zuidas is a place that stimulates multiculturalism? Can it act as a symbol of citizenship? Will the emergence of Zuidas force the historic centre to become 'disneyfied' or increase gentrification maybe?
Many thanks
Adam
Vaughany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #63
Ramonx2

Likes (Received): 354

If you like, you could make a topic of it here, the café of Amsterdam on SSC. You will get more respons there. Good Luck.
Ramonx2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:57 PM   #64
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 796

Latest pics taken from the HH subsection of SSC:

[img]http://i45.************/5b34if.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i48.************/2b5iki.jpg[/img]

Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:35 AM   #65
jpsolarized

Likes (Received): 613

wow!!! needless to say more
jpsolarized no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #66
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 796

Another overview pic of the Zuidas, Mahler 4 with UN Studio, The Rock, New Amsterdam and ITO tower on the left and Symphony (yellow/red brick) on the right:

Old January 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #67
Ramses

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Hello, I have recently visited the Zuidas as part of my Spatial Planning Masters course and was impressed by the architecture there. However, as a follow up to the visit, I am writing an essay that explores multiculturalism, diversity and equality in the context of Dutch Planning with particular reference to Zuidas and the Central Station. I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on this? Do you think that Zuidas is a place that stimulates multiculturalism? Can it act as a symbol of citizenship? Will the emergence of Zuidas force the historic centre to become 'disneyfied' or increase gentrification maybe?
Many thanks
Adam
How should Zuidas support gentrification in the city-center? Houses in both areas are quite expensive, so this Zuidas won't attract just poor (or rich) families from downtown. The main reasons for the development of the Zuidas is in the first place the location between the historic center and the airport. The offices and apartments are still located in the prime city Amsterdam, but you can reach them easily by car, subway or train (in opposite of the downtown). The second reason is the protection of the old heritage and atmosphere in the citycenter. The offices are nice by themselves, but when you build towers like this in the center, the center will be destroyed completely.

The only negative aspect of the nearby airport is the height restrictions which is involved. But i think this leads to better architecture. It is not about the highest tower anymore, but about the tower with the most spectacular design. Just compare this this in Rotterdam (where are no restrictions) to this on Zuidas
Ramses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #68
Gnarp

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
Many thanks
Adam
There are some huge urban renewal projects going on in areas of the city where there are many immigrants. That might be a more interesting development in relation to multiculturalism and equality.

I think the Zuidas will mostly attract other westerners though. It'll be a place for large multinational corporations. Perhaps it could act as a symbol of citizenship if the area will be successfully integrated into the city. So that it will act as a new center for shopping, going out etc.

The historic center is already gentrified, as well as the area between the Zuidas and the historic center. I don't think that'll change much. I view the Zuidas more as an expansion of the city center, the Zuidas itself is the increased gentrification.
Gnarp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #69
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Is Zuidas an office-only district or will there be other uses such as retail?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #70
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

The Zuidas is now mainly an office district with some bars, restaurants, retail and apartments. In the next 10-15 years mostly apartments will be build and a high-end retail area (Ravel). More and more the base will be big enough for more retail. In the center location (Zuidasdok) it really depends on both the government and market if, how and when the infrastructure will be brought under the ground for even more offices, apartments and retail.
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #71
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21036

I wish the Zuidas stayed as a business district-only. In any case, it is an amazing area, highest concentration of interesting high-rises in Europe.

Too bad it already lacks decent (easy + cheap) parking space.

Does anyone have news on the buildings u/c?
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:45 PM   #72
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2340

this looks incredible. how's street life in the area? Pretty large lunch time crowds? Dead in the evenings/weekends?
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM   #73
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

That's what it's supposed to be like, yes.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:59 AM   #74
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

If the A10 Highway is tunnelled, then should all or part of the Amsterdam Zuid rail station be underground, especially to make potential space for new highrises?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:05 AM   #75
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
If the A10 Highway is tunnelled, then should all or part of the Amsterdam Zuid rail station be underground, especially to make potential space for new highrises?
The plan is to move it completely underground. However, I doubt we will see it realized anytime soon.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:13 AM   #76
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

That would be so cool

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amsterdam, stipson, zuidas