daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 145 votes, 4.99 average.
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2041
Sughosh

Likes (Received): 10

Nice to see the monorail work finally cross the Chembur Naka intersection - that last pair of viaducts certainly took a while.
Sughosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2042
Monorail_Metro_Lover

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughosh View Post
Nice to see the monorail work finally cross the Chembur Naka intersection - that last pair of viaducts certainly took a while.
its not always the contractor who is at fault for the delays.

The permission from Traffic Police was not given to launch the beams.

Similarly, permission from Railway is not coming for launching the beams over a railway line...
Monorail_Metro_Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #2043
Sughosh

Oh I'm sure I wasn't blaming the contractor but it got tiring to keep looking at that crucial incomplete stretch...taking it over a major intersection is always tough. Just glad it's done
Sughosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2044
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 180

That is a great looking train!
I'm curious, what will the capcaity be and have they made the stations to be expandable if needed? It looks like a great system but the trains don't look like they have near the capacity needed for a city of 20 million.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2045
shree711

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
That is a great looking train!
I'm curious, what will the capcaity be and have they made the stations to be expandable if needed? It looks like a great system but the trains don't look like they have near the capacity needed for a city of 20 million.
That is the issue I have with this. Mumbai is a large city. Will the monorail just be for show or will it actually do what it is supposed to: Get people from one place to another efficiently. It looks tiny and the stations do not look convincing enough to hold the appropriate amount of people.
shree711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2046
sixsigma1978
PRAETORIAN

Likes (Received): 172

If it were for show - I doubt they would have built it in the first place. Monos aren't meant for mass transit - however, you can certainly expect it to be like Delhi Metro's load during rush hours when its complete!
hopefully, they'll enforce the kinds of boarding/unboarding/enforcement standards they have on Delhi Metro!!
sixsigma1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #2047
Arhant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree711 View Post
That is the issue I have with this. Mumbai is a large city. Will the monorail just be for show or will it actually do what it is supposed to: Get people from one place to another efficiently. It looks tiny and the stations do not look convincing enough to hold the appropriate amount of people.
I had a chance to use the KL monorail sometime back, and it really felt insufficient. But lets hope for the best and see how it turns out in Mumbai.
Arhant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #2048
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 738

A huge city doesnt mean only metro servcies should be there. So, shuold we get away with all those buses reaching the residential neighbourhoods.
If you see the map, there are already 3 suburban lines running in the island city, which is hardly 5 kms wide. Further, there are planned metro lines in the region in the future. Expecting huge traffic in 5 km E-W direction is not realistic.

Monorail is essentailly a feeder service for the metro and suburban lines, replacing the buses. One has to note that the density in the eastern region is not very high (which people associate with Bombay always). And it may not increase significantly unless the port, research institutes, manufacturing industries and Navy are moved out.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #2049
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsigma1978 View Post
If it were for show - I doubt they would have built it in the first place. Monos aren't meant for mass transit - however, you can certainly expect it to be like Delhi Metro's load during rush hours when its complete!
hopefully, they'll enforce the kinds of boarding/unboarding/enforcement standards they have on Delhi Metro!!
Monorail can bery much be for mass transit as Tokyo and Chonguin prove.
The new 100km Sao Paulo system whos first leg will open hopefully next year will have a capacity of a whopping 52,000 pphpd. That is definately a very mass transit system as most subway systems in the world can't come close to that kind of capacity.
What is the line capacity being built as.........they must have had a capacity figure in order to decide station sizes. Will the stations be expandable in the future?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2050
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhant View Post
I had a chance to use the KL monorail sometime back, and it really felt insufficient. But lets hope for the best and see how it turns out in Mumbai.
Its largely due to the Malaysian government not doing much public-transport wise to upgrade. All they did was pretty much build the line and just leave it be. The same happened for one of their higher capacity lines, till it ran 40% over-capacity, but they have solved that one now and are working on expanding the monorail capacity. New trains which are twice as long are expected within a year, so that may provide some form of relief. Similarly, the Mumbai monorail can be expanded. If I read correct and remember correct too, the trains can be expanded to 6-cars for Mumbai?
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2051
Arhant

Thanks Indiadreams and mrtfreak. True that monorail is envisaged as a feeder service, which in itself is a recognition of its limited capacity. Nothing against monorail per se. My curiosity is only as to why a feeder service is being built on a higher priority.
Arhant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2052
sixsigma1978
PRAETORIAN

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Monorail can bery much be for mass transit as Tokyo and Chonguin prove.
The new 100km Sao Paulo system whos first leg will open hopefully next year will have a capacity of a whopping 52,000 pphpd. That is definately a very mass transit system as most subway systems in the world can't come close to that kind of capacity.
What is the line capacity being built as.........they must have had a capacity figure in order to decide station sizes. Will the stations be expandable in the future?
It can be USED as a mass transit in absence of a concrete or inadequate mass transit system. There's no hard and fast rule - but the slow and monolithic monos are best used as feeders. Mumbai is building the solid triad of rail infra - Locals/Metro/Monos - here Monos end up as feeder as mass transit clearly exists in two major forms : metro and locals - nor can Mumbai monos take on the crush load of Locals and soon-to-happen-metro. They will have to enforce load standards that itself will prevent monos from becoming mass transit!! The hierarchy lines are clearly drawn to enforce it as a feeder.

Kudos to Sao Paulo for pulling off the feat though
sixsigma1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:40 AM   #2053
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arhant View Post
Nothing against monorail per se. My curiosity is only as to why a feeder service is being built on a higher priority.
Feeder services are as imporatant as main lines. The absence of feeder services creates 2 problems, IMO.

1) Utility of the main line goes down as people may not be able to reach the main line. This is not a problem for Mumbai, as people somehow make it by ricks or buses, but take a longer time.

2) It leads to a chaotic traffic with ricks and buses, in the zone catered by the mainline especially near the stations. All the stations in the western suburbs suffer from this.

In a way. Line 1 of Metro can be partly considered as a feeder service to suburban lines, both western and central (The other utility being east-west connection). In case of Mumbai, the traffic in some of the feeder routes are so high that it requires a mix of systems like metro/mono. Bus services are not sufficient.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2054
Coolguyz

Likes (Received): 7853

near wadala.Signalling equipments, some strange types of boxes with red buttons on them, all kinds of allied work have begun on the pillars

Coolguyz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2055
Coolguyz

They are working at great speed on part 2 on completing as much pillars as possible before mosoons and opening the roads for traffic

This one is in front of the old temple in parel where ASI had earlier objected

Wadala BEST depot, near ICC

Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2056
Coolguyz

The tallest pillar to go over lalbaug flyover,I guess they would start work on currey road station side only after monsoons since it will involve closing down the road one way for considerable amount of time.

NM Joshi marg,in front of Futurex

Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM   #2057
Coolguyz

And finally in front of Arthur road jail, last stop of the route

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #2058
kingfisher09
Mumbai, Toronto

Likes (Received): 15

[/QUOTE]

What's the armoured vehicle? Used by cops I guess..
kingfisher09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2059
Coolguyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher09 View Post
What's the armoured vehicle? Used by cops I guess..[/QUOTE]

Yes, belongs to Mumbai police
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2060
Mohit_King
Open Sourced

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:

What's the armoured vehicle? Used by cops I guess..
Here u go :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_Marksman

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: