daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Infrastructure and Transport > Infrastructure and Transport

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Face81

Likes (Received): 197

#PROJECT: ETIHAD BRIDGE (UNION BRIDGE AKA DUBAI CREEK's 7th CROSSING)

As bids appear to be in for this already, it deserved it's own thread...

The information is courtesy of TheDubaiGuys....

Quote:
Bids to go in for seventh crossing

Bids for the construction of a new bridge - which is being called the ‘7th crossing' - are to be submitted to the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) by 17 April, although contractors are expecting a time extension.

According to a source bidding for the project, companies expected to place bids include the local Wade Adams, UK-based J&P, Emirati-British joint venture Dutco Balfour Beatty and Italy's Todini.

The new project, which has a completion schedule of 22 months, will include the construction of a 1.2km road from the T-junction leading on from the Floating Bridge on the Bur Dubai side of the creek. The road will have three lanes on either side.

Work may involve bulldozing a number of buildings and part of Rashid Hospital's boundary wall to make way for the new road, which will join Oudh Metha Road.

The contract will also include the construction of a tunnel that will run from Oudh Metha Road under Maktoum Bridge to the former site of the Strand Cinema in Bur Dubai.

"An arm of the same road coming from the Floating Bridge could also be connected directly to Sheikh Zayed Road," said the source. "The new project is expected to make the Floating Bridge more accessible and connect it with Sheikh Zayed Road, like the other bridges.

The source added that the entire project would cost at least US $150 million (approximately AED 550 million).

The RTA has also invited contractors to submit their letters of interest for the construction of the ‘sixth crossing', which is estimated to cost $817 million.

R
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]

Last edited by 234sale; November 18th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
THE DUBAI GUYS
Ruff 'n' Ready

Likes (Received): 84

I didnt post that bizzybonita did...but i did say that a few weeks ago..MEED had it...

R
THE DUBAI GUYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Face81

They better hurry up and come up with a decent design for this... It's now becoming a common sight to see stand still traffic on the Floating Bridge, which isnt a good thing!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #4
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 3220

What are you guys talking about???

Since when the Floating Bridge is located near the Sheraton Hotel
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #5
AltinD
The Modecator

This is the 7th Crossing, the design with that tower and a overhead restaurant.
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Face81

Nope. This is the replacement of the Floating Bridge. That reveloving restaurant thing is now probably not going to happen as SAMA Dubai will be building the bridge near the Sheraton and the one newr Shindagha as part of their "Creek Front" project:
www.creekfront.ae
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM   #7
AltinD
The Modecator

I read it in another press release posted in the road and transportatyion thread and very clearly the location was mentioned.
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Omaro
T R A N C E D

Likes (Received): 6

Any updates on this?

Omography on Facebook
Omaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #9
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 44

oh no if SAMA are doing the 8th crossing bridge at sheraton, then maybe my grandchildren will be able to use it
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #10
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 276

Mohammed bin Rashid approves the design of the 7th crossing over Dubai Creek

HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, approved the design of the seventh crossing (Dubai Smile) across Dubai Creek.

United Arab Emirates: 6 hours, 27 minutes ago

PRESS RELEASE

The project, which has an iconic design at a cost of Dhs810m, is located near Dubai Creek Park, Wonderland Park and Dubai Courts at Bur Dubai, and Deira City Center & Dubai Golf Club at Deira.

RTA Chairman of the Board & Executive Director HE Matar Al-Tayer said: 'The seventh Crossing ranks among the unique and landmark projects undertaken by the RTA, which aims to ease traffic flow across Dubai Creek. RTA is keen to turn out the seventh crossing into an iconic distinctive structure of Dubai worldwide. Specialized global companies have been invited to compete in submitting distinctive aesthetic architectural designs, and the best one was selected based on specific technical criteria. Among the designs submitted, the concept of an inverted metal arch has been selected to replicate the high-rocketing urban development of Dubai to reflect the ambitions of the wise leadership of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, aspiring to a better future.

The engineering shape of the inverted arch of the crossing that links the two banks of Dubai Creek reflects a welcoming gesture by Dubai City to residents and visitors, beaming with beauty & simplicity and creating a good impression to onlookers.

'The 7th Crossing, which is meant to supersede the existing Floating Bridge, costs about Dhs810m and consists of 12 lanes (6 lanes in each direction) and a footpath in each direction. The width of the bridge is about 61.6 meters and the arch rises 100 meters. The bridge can accommodate around 24 thousand vehicles per hour; a matter which will boost the intake of surrounding roads and ease traffic across the Creek, particularly in the neighbouring area of City Center.

'The Crossing provides free traffic to all directions and full navigational traffic 24 hours a day as it rises 15 meters above the water level of the Creek, and width of the waterway is 400 meters, enabling large yachts to pass through.

'At Bur Dubai, the 7th Bridge will be linked with the underpasses of Rashid Hospital Project, undertaken by the RTA at a cost of Dhs705m. It comprises construction of roads & two underpasses to accommodate traffic inbound from Tariq bin Ziyad Road and Umm Harir Road to the junction of Al-Riyadh Road and the extension of the 7th Crossing (currently the Floating Bridge) consisting of 2-lanes in each direction. The first underpass passes from Tariq bin Ziyad Road under Al-Maktoum and the second one, which serves traffic inbound from Umm Harir Road, passes through Oud Maitha Park.

The underpasses converge forming a 4-lane underpass towards Al-Riyadh Road via Rashid Hospital. The junction of Al-Riyadh Road with the extension of the Floating Bridge will be transformed to a four-direction interchange. The Project also includes widening of Tariq bin Ziyad Road and improvements of Oud Maitha & Umm Harir Roads, as well as construction of a road to cater for the traffic inbound from the Floating Bridge towards Tariq bin Ziyad Road.

'From Deira side the 7th Crossing will be linked with Al-Ittihad Road, which is currently being widened by the RTA at a cost of Dhs800m. This includes road widening works extending 5.7 km starting from Sheikh Rashid Road to Al-Garhoud Bridge and Al-Sho'ala Junction and passing on across Al Ittihad Road, in a parallel line to Dubai International Airport, up to Al-Nahdah Interchange (Mulla Plaza) via Dubai Police HQ Interchange (Galadari).

'Widening of Al-Ittihad Road comprises two types of roads; a fast road and a local one, each consisting of 4 lanes in each direction and a service road at both sides of Al-Ittihad Road in addition to construction of additional bridges, while keeping the existing underpasses to make use of them.

'The project also includes upgrading the Airport Interchange through constructing a 4-lane underpass to serve the traffic inbound from Al-Garhoud Bridge towards Sharjah while maintaining the existing underpasses but re-routing them to serve the traffic inbound from Sharjah towards Al-Garhoud Bridge. A new bridge will also be constructed to serve the traffic inbound from Sharjah Al-Nahdah and Al-Mamzar towards Dubai International Airport in addition to another 2-lane bridge to serve traffic inbound from Port Saeed and Al-Garhoud areas towards the Clock R/A. HQ Interchange (Galaldari) will have two new underpasses in addition to the existing ones.

A new 2-lanes bridge will also be constructed to accommodate traffic inbound from Abu Hail Road and Salah Uddin Road towards Sharjah, while managing remaining traffic by means of light signals. RTA will construct a new 3-lanes underpass at Al-Nahdah Interchange (Mulla Plaza) to serve traffic inbound from Dubai to Sharjah, while maintaining the existing underpass such that total lanes inbound from Dubai to Sharjah will rise to six. A new 2-lanes underpass will also be constructed to accommodate traffic inbound from Mamzar and Nahada areas towards Dubai, in addition to a new 3-lanes bridge to cater for traffic inbound from Al-Nahdah Road towards Al-Waheedah Road and Deira' said Al Tayer.

monderk liked this post
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #11
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY View Post
oh no if SAMA are doing the 8th crossing bridge at sheraton, then maybe my grandchildren will be able to use it
I can't wait for the Sheraton Bridge
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #12
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 79

Nice one, although not as good as the 6th crossing, still good
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #13
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 20

GORGEOUS. so basically they will turn the floating bridge into a permanent bridge? from the renders that looks like the plan.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #14
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

yes and a freeway road from Oud Maitha Road to Al Ittihad road !
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #15
THE DUBAI GUYS
Ruff 'n' Ready

Likes (Received): 84

FANTASTIC! love the design...yes its not like the 6th bridge but still v.good! Love the name...Dubai Smile...thats a clever thing...IMO...

R
THE DUBAI GUYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #16
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DUBAI GUYS View Post
FANTASTIC! love the design...yes its not like the 6th bridge but still v.good! Love the name...Dubai Smile...thats a clever thing...IMO...

R
I agree. It is very unique (because "bridge" is not included), and it actually makes people smile.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #17
docc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
I can't wait for the Sheraton Bridge
When does work on the Sheraton bridge begin?

Also, why are you so excited about the Sheraton bridge?
docc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #18
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

I don't know when but am excited about it because it connects two busy areas together and would reduce traffic significantly because people would use it to reach a certain destination and not as a pass by like other bidges. Imagine going from Burjuman to Al Ghurair city in one shot

uaelover liked this post
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #19
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 20

they should bore a couple more tunnels near the old BBME building in the creek. just small ones to take some pressure off the bridges.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #20
docc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
I don't know when but am excited about it because it connects two busy areas together and would reduce traffic significantly because people would use it to reach a certain destination and not as a pass by like other bidges. Imagine going from Burjuman to Al Ghurair city in one shot
Yea, that would be great. It would also make SZR a much shorter trip for people from Deira as they can go to Bur Juman centre and onwards to SZR straight through the bridge. Now THAT is drool worthy!
docc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
crossing, dubai, dubai creek