daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #41
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramb View Post
ok, the saints and raiders could move, but not the jags and especially not the Bills. Bills fans are very die hard and pack in 70k+ in the freezing cold just like the packers fans. They are a staple in Buffalo. I couldn't see the Jags moving either.
The Bills will be playing in Toronto within the next 15-20 years for sure. The Saints have a freshly renovated SuperDome. The Chargers or Raiders would be most likely, with a far outside chance of the Jags (who don't do that well in attendance) and a very remote possibility of the Vikings (and someone would have to die if that came to pass).
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #42
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 66

looks like it's NOT gonna happen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiholmes View Post
California subsidy for NFL stadium is blocked
State lawmakers balk at a plan to use tax money to lure a team to a proposed site in the city of Industry.
By Patrick McGreevy, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 17, 2008

SACRAMENTO -- Faced with angry opposition from Los Angeles County supervisors, state lawmakers Wednesday sidelined an effort by the city of Industry to get millions of dollars in tax subsidies that could help lure a National Football League team back to the area.

Backed by developer Ed Roski Jr., who wants to build a football stadium on 600 vacant acres he owns in Industry, the city had asked for power to divert $829 million in county property tax revenue from basic government services to subsidize unnamed development projects.

But county officials, complaining that much of the money would come from their already tight budget, blitzed state lawmakers with letters and phone calls demanding that they vote against the proposal.

Minutes before its first hearing, Senate Majority Leader Gloria Romero (D-Los Angeles), who had gutted an unrelated bill of its contents and replaced it with Industry's bid, pulled the proposal from consideration. Her Senate district includes Industry, home to 804 people.

The bill she changed, SB 1771, originated by Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Los Angeles), would initially have provided counseling for homeowners imperiled by the mortgage crisis.

Roski, his firm and employees have contributed more than $1 million in the last five years to California political causes and candidates, including Romero and Padilla.

County Supervisor Gloria Molina, whose district also includes the city, denounced Industry's effort as "an abuse of power," saying that it would use redevelopment money improperly.

"They are not using it to reduce blight," she said. "They are using it to attract a football stadium. . . . Everybody wants an NFL stadium, but I'm not so sure taxpayers should be footing the bill for that."

Molina was joined by county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, the county's lobbyist, firefighters and others in calling state legislators to voice opposition.

"This is a rip-off," Yaroslavsky said in an interview, explaining his message to legislators.

The bill would have allowed the city of Industry's expiring redevelopment program to be extended for another decade while no longer requiring state review or proof that there is still blight.

Romero said her primary reason for carrying the proposal was the city's promise to build hundreds of units of affordable housing, with or without a stadium.

Supporters had hired a team of high-powered lobbyists, including former state legislators, who pitched the legislation as essential to the plan for affordable apartments.

"It would be great to have a football team once again in Los Angeles County, but it wasn't an issue for me in terms of moving the bill forward," Romero said.

The http://Industrycity of Industry is a 2-mile-wide, 14-mile-long strip of land along the 60 Freeway that is home to industrial parks, scrap yards and strip clubs.

Incorporated in 1957, it has a checkered development history.

One of the city's founders spent three years in federal prison for his role in a kickback and bid-rigging scheme. Roski is a major landowner and builder in Industry.

A spokesman for Roski said the site of the proposed NFL stadium is not within a redevelopment project area, and there is no plan to ask for public funds for the project.

That the bill is being supported at the same time the NFL stadium is being proposed is "coincidental in timing and unrelated in purpose," said John Semcken, a vice president of Roski's Majestic Realty.

Semcken said Majestic has large holdings in the redevelopment area, so it supports helping the city with economic development.

Opponents of Romero's bill say there is no more blight in Industry, so it would be improper to divert money from police and fire services to build streets, sewers, traffic lights and other public works that would primarily serve a stadium and provide commercial development to make the area more attractive to the NFL.

City Manager Phil Iriarte said the proposal by Roski's firm calls for private financing of the stadium, and he does not believe that any redevelopment money spent to enhance the area and its streets would be a deciding factor for the NFL.

NFL staff members have visited the Industry site and met with Roski. Though the nation's No. 2 television market has been without an NFL team since 1995, placing a team in the Los Angeles area is not a top priority, league officials say privately.

Roski, chief executive of Majestic Realty, had partnered with billionaire Philip Anschutz to build Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, and is a minority owner of the Kings hockey team, Lakers basketball team and Staples Center arena.

Backers plan to seek a parliamentary waiver to revive the legislation.

"There are sufficient concerns that have been raised by folks that we obviously pay a great deal of attention to," Romero said.

ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #43
philaustin06

Likes (Received): 1

from LA.. I was expecting so much more.
philaustin06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #44
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

The league could always expand...
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #45
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
that would mean adding 8 teams so everything is even, adding more games, a longer season, longer pre season....do you really want that?
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #46
Benn

Yes, but that that me be just me, more injuries would be a drawback I see.
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #47
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

How far away is this stadium from downtown LA?

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #48
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

I like
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #49
Vilak
Let's dance in style!

Likes (Received): 6

I don't particulary like it. hope it works for LA.
Vilak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #50
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA

Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
the raiders are the only team i could see moving, but i think Oakland would step in to keep them.
What about the Bills and the Saints????
HUSKER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #51
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
Hell no. There are too many as it is. Right now, 32 should be the max. If your city doesn't have a team, tough shit. Hope for a relocation.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #52
Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSKER View Post
The superdome was JUST renovated, and the bills are a lock to move to Toronto in the near future, and probably nowhere else
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #53
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

People, this is not the city of LA. This is the city of Industry, which is a part of LA county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan89 View Post
this is typical LA!!! Hype Hype, shyny colors, fiesta, attractions... but I love it!! I'm sure NFL commisionners's eyes shine as much as mine
First of all, what is typical LA for you? You know nothing about LA so don't pretend that this is "typical LA."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Jaguars, Bills, Saints, and teh Raiders will be more than likely one of the teams to move to L.A.

I don't want the NFL in L.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
I don't want the NFL in L.A.!!!
You seem to have a problem with LA. What's that all about?

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #54
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSKER View Post
The Bills are not moving, there is already an ownership group in place to buy the team and keep it in Buffalo when Ralph dies.....But you didn't hear that from me. shhhhhhh!
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #55
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion View Post
Georgia Frontiere was the champion of moving the team to St. Louis. Now that she's passed on, the team is terrible, fan support is dwindling and the dome is not a very attractive venue, I could see the LA Rams making a comeback.

There is this thing called a contract. They may have to play out the remaining years in that dome before they can move.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #56
Dallasbrink
BANNED

i dont know if the Rams would try the LA experiment again.
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #57
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion View Post
Georgia Frontiere was the champion of moving the team to St. Louis. Now that she's passed on, the team is terrible, fan support is dwindling and the dome is not a very attractive venue, I could see the LA Rams making a comeback.

Serves the Rams right. When Georgia said (after the Rams won the Super Bowl), 'We are so happy that we moved to a real city like St. Louis' pissed alot of LA people off.
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM   #58
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 224

1) for those who have commented on the "flashy" look of the renderings--those renderings are meant to represent whata the stadium would look like during a Super Bowl Extravaganza...

2) for those complaining that it's too far from downtown LA--who cares? It's smack-dab in between three metro areas, each of which alone is capable of supporting a team--Los Angeles, Inland Empire and Orange County. Put a team in the middle of that and it's perfect. Within 15 miles of the site is a population of 12 million! And there's metro rail transportation right to the site.

3) for those who think LA can't/won't support the NFL, you're wrong. The last two teams were mismanaged/marketed in the worst way--two HORRIBLE owners...

4) for those who simply are against it because you don't like SoCal...screw off.

...that is all...
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:40 AM   #59
VZN
Caleuphoria

Likes (Received): 137

What he said, 100%.

Los Angeles has always supported their teams. It's just too bad their greedy ass rich owners didn't see eye to eye with Angelenos. If the Raiders had stayed in L.A., they would probably be the most popular team in L.A. despite it being a "basketball town".
VZN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM   #60
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA

Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
There is this thing called a contract. They may have to play out the remaining years in that dome before they can move.
Well, sometimes the owners dont care about contracts, like the Seattle Sonics owner, who's going to trial to move the team from Key Arena (still 2 years on the contract lease) to Oklahoma city., so........
HUSKER no está en línea   Reply With Quote