daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #1
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 444

SEATTLE | Heron & Pagoda Towers | 168m x 2 | 550ft | 43 fl x 2 | Canceled

Hotel-condo project to face Westin
By DAN RICHMAN
P-I REPORTER

The Seattle skyline will change, as will the central business district, with the construction of a twin-tower, 43-story building planned for a half-block site across Fifth Avenue from The Westin Hotel.

Offering high-end hotel, condominium and office space, as well as deluxe retail space at ground level, developers of the 1.2 million-square-foot building at 1913 Fifth Ave. will break ground next year, said project manager Alec Carlin of Hummingbird Advisors of Seattle. Completion is expected in 2011.

A rendering shows the proposed project at 1913 Fifth Ave., as shown from the corner Fifth Avenue and Virginia Street.

The project is budgeted at $900 million -- "give or take $100 million," Carlin said. Multi Group of New York is the sole financier.

The building will offer 185 to 200 hotel rooms and 400 to 500 condos, depending on their final size. Negotiations over which company will operate the hotel are under way, Carlin said.

At 550 feet, the building would be Seattle's ninth-tallest, topping the Bank of America Fifth Avenue Plaza by 7 feet.

Currently on the site are a parking lot; an Avis rental office and garage, which also provides parking for the nearby Mayflower Hotel; several vacated retail businesses; and the Icon Grill, housed in a distinctive building at Fifth and Virginia.

Carlin said the building has not been declared historically significant.

The still-preliminary plans call for an 11-story base, facing Fifth Avenue between Virginia and Stewart streets and offering retail at street level. The base's second and third floors, at the level of the monorail, would contain hotel ballrooms, meeting rooms and a pool and spa.

Above the glass-walled base, containing a large atrium, would rise the northern tower, nicknamed Pagoda. It would contain nine floors of hotel space, with 22 floors of condos above that.

Pagoda would be architecturally distinctive on its exterior to distinguish it from the all-residential south tower, nicknamed Heron. Separated from Pagoda by 70 feet, Heron would house 32 stories of condos.

Each sleek, angular tower would be topped by a V-shaped roof over a 50-foot-high combined open-air arboretum, roof garden and enclosed recreation space. Photovoltaic cells and microturbines would generate about 7 percent of the building's electricity, and cisterns collecting rain would partly offset water use.

Seven underground floors would be used for parking.

In part because of guidance from Seattle's Department of Planning and Development, which is still reviewing the design, the towers will be shaped to accommodate their current and future neighbors.

Those include Centennial Tower apartments on Fourth Avenue and the 31-story Escala condo tower just southwest, due to open in May 2009.

The base is designed to visually align with the Times Square Building across Stewart Street and with the Westin parking garage.

Ishmael Leyva, of New York was chosen as architect, "not because we don't like Seattle designers, but because we feel Seattle is ready for something that's more edgy, more 'out there,' " Carlin said.

"This is a sophisticated design that says Seattle looks not toward Vancouver but toward Chicago and New York," he said.

"It also says Seattle is ready for higher density downtown, which has happened in Vancouver and in Portland."

Hummingbird hopes to benefit from the sweeping development of South Lake Union, Carlin said. The Westlake terminus of the new streetcar is just steps from the planned building, and Hummingbird hopes to be well positioned between South Lake Union and downtown.

"We're hoping it will revive that area, which is on the edge of Belltown, and make it into a vital, vibrant pedestrian area," he said. "It's a pretty dead block right now."

Though Seattle is awash with condos, Hummingbird said it thinks the market will support more, as the idea of downtown living is catching on.

"Right now, there are no downtown supermarkets or Laundromats, but as the density grows, the services will follow behind them," he said.

The developer believes that any coming recession likely will have eased by the time the building is completed.

The project is still in the early design guidance phase. Additional information will be presented, and public comments taken, at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Room L280 at City Hall.
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12581

Awesome news for the beautiful city of Seattle !
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #3
XiaoBai
逍遥法外

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
At 550 feet, the building would be Seattle's ninth-tallest, topping the Bank of America Fifth Avenue Plaza by 7 feet.
Well, actually, since 5th and Columbia and (possibly) 5th and Madison will likely be completed first, this will end up being the 11th-tallest in Seattle.
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #4
WESTSEATTLEGUY
Here

Likes (Received): 17

Beautiful towers!
WESTSEATTLEGUY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #5
NW Mike

Likes (Received): 563

I'm liking these almost as much as 5th and Columbia....Lets get digging!
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

THREAD TITLES! Please, Use the correct format! I think/see this one is Proposed?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #7
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 444

I know I realized I didn't put the "Proposed" right after I clicked the post button. Although it may be approved now... I think.
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #8
MDguy

They look great!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

Striking design!
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Ok, but you have to be sure when it's approved. And you have to proof it If you are sure and you have the proof you should pm a mod. they can change the thread title
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #11
XiaoBai
逍遥法外

Likes (Received): 18

^
As far as I know, the concept of "approved" doesn't technically exist in Seattle, or at least, it isn't officially "approved" until the project breaks ground.