daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2013, 05:12 AM   #1981
The Caspian

Likes (Received): 96

Azerbaijan is the most secular country among Muslim countries (It is much more open and relaxed than Malaysia for instance, which is considered as one of the more liberal Muslim countries). Indeed, Azerbaijan is one of the most irreligious countries in the world. Not only is Azerbaijan a strictly secular state (religion and politics are strictly separated, religious law does not exist there, and the educational system is secular), Azerbaijanis can rightly claim to be among the most progressive and secular societies in the Muslim world. Azerbaijan does not resemble other Muslim countries at all. Only a small minority of Azerbaijanis are religious and attend mosque prayers and veiled women are very rare. Azerbaijanis do not wear religion on their sleeves, they do not identify themselves through their religious affiliation or their lack thereof and it is considered a private matter. Aside from having been the first Muslim country to have operas, theater plays, women 's suffrage and a democratic republic, Azerbaijan today is among the Muslim countries where support for secularism is the highest, and radical Islamist ideologies that are being tried to be exported from abroad by fundamentalists fail because they are rejected by the population. This modernization and secularization began before the Soviet era during the 19th century.

Azerbaijani women not only enjoy far greater political and social freedoms than women in other Muslim countries, they have the same rights as women in the Western world. Azerbaijan is the first Muslim country that granted women the right to vote and be elected in 1918 ahead of most Western countries. School enrollment (which is compulsory) of girls (just like for boys) is close to 100% and women in general have high levels of education (even higher than men) and the majority of Azerbaijani women have jobs outside the home. Many women do have jobs at many levels of their country's government and economy as well. Azerbaijani society is egalitarian on gender issues, and women and girls are not regarded as "property" or in need for "protection" by men. Azerbaijani women are very assertive of their rights and are important decision makers in the family. Azerbaijan has long ceased to be patriarchal society.

Azerbaijan is an open, friendly and very safe place not only for Western tourists but to any tourist, including women tourists. The country has become a popular destination for tourists since the early 2000's. The Eurovision contest in 2012 was a good advertisement for Azerbaijan and an additional bonus for tourism but more importantly a good investment for Baku, it gained an extra venue.

Azerbaijan has a highly regulated policy of immigration for foreign workers and has very strict laws against abuse. Foreign workers are almost exclusively employed in the energy sector and the construction sector and are well paid. This has precluded non-skilled and low-waged foreign labor and their potential abuse by employers.

Bannor, JonBlack95 liked this post

Last edited by The Caspian; September 21st, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
The Caspian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1982
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7543

There is true in your words yet I would not call Azerbaijan as the most secular and irreligious muslim-majority country in the world. There is at least Kazakhstan and Albania which are even less religious than Azerbaijan. Another issue is that traditions still play an important role in the life of society in Azerbaijan.

In addition, Azerbaijan is not a 'popular destination for tourists' and it has never been so. We have started to develop our tourism infrastructure only few years ago.

Bannor liked this post
Galandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1983
bakiliboy

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
There is true in your words yet I would not call Azerbaijan as the most secular and irreligious muslim-majority country in the world. There is at least Kazakhstan and Albania which are even less religious than Azerbaijan. Another issue is that traditions still play an important role in the life of society in Azerbaijan. In addition, Azerbaijan is not a 'popular destination for tourists' and it has never been so. We have started to develop our tourism infrastructure only few years ago.
It's the 6th least religious country in the world according to Wikipedia..
bakiliboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:48 PM   #1984
The Caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
There is true in your words yet I would not call Azerbaijan as the most secular and irreligious muslim-majority country in the world. There is at least Kazakhstan and Albania which are even less religious than Azerbaijan. Another issue is that traditions still play an important role in the life of society in Azerbaijan.

In addition, Azerbaijan is not a 'popular destination for tourists' and it has never been so. We have started to develop our tourism infrastructure only few years ago.
Yes I forgot to mention Albania and Kazakhstan. However Azerbaijan is indeed one of the least religious countries in the world.

It's true that tourism is a new and a small sector but it is slowly but steadily growing. It will take time for Azerbaijan to establish itself as a truly popular tourist destination. Given the country's rich cultural and natural heritage not to mention the extra investment poured into tourism, the trend and prospects do look positive.

Azerbaijan is not the Netherlands when it comes to social liberalism but it does not bare any resemblance to other Muslim countries either. Tradition and social values do play an important part. In this respect Azerbaijan resembles and can be compared to Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland, though not to other Muslim countries.

Last edited by The Caspian; September 21st, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1985
Azer_Akhundov

Likes (Received): 6488

Ganjlik Mall - foundation works:

Caspian Construction Systems LLC
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:32 AM   #1986
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakiliboy View Post
It's the 6th least religious country in the world according to Wikipedia..
Very interesting point you make, although it is a bit further down the ranks. It does seems to be 3rd among the muslim majority countries however:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importa...ion_by_country

And it seems to be a correlation between the education level for the women of a society and the importance of religion by country as pointed out by The Caspian.

To me that doesn't seem that strange as I see at least the 3 western dualistic/monotheistic religions as being very patriarchal by nature. And there are tehories stating that the very birth of christianity and islam was due to the very political decicion to raise the birth numbers and beat the opposing army or nation. The Jews started it with depicting all foreigners as "goya", meaning non-jewish. The christians and muslims just continued along the same path and started with the same us/them rethoric and even wanting to convert others into the same belief. All as a part of a war.

And some of the most crucial aspect of this was to keep the women at home caring for the children and wanting to have more of them. As soon as women start getting an education and start working, they will figure out that there is more to life, and by the very maternal nature they are, they will not want to make wars. I guess they are more sophisticated then us men, hehe.

One thing I do like about religion is the recentment to drugs and alcohol. And I think they are taking it too far in The Netherlands, but that may just be me.

Anyway, how is the nightlife in Baku then?

Also, look at the correlation between the least religious countries in the world (Norway and Sweden) where women are the most represented in parlament, educational systems, workforce etc, and several other factors.

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=87540

Last edited by Bannor; September 23rd, 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1987
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Dreamland - U/C:

Construction works:

Dreamland
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1988
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Ferris wheel (60 m tall, 30 passenger cars) - U/C

Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1989
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

AZAL's Air Control Center - Completed:

http://www.president.az/articles/9451
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1990
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Heydar Aliyev International Airport:

http://www.president.az/articles/9451

Rashad.H, Neungz, The Caspian liked this post
Galandar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:03 AM   #1991
ironalbo
Un chileno más

Likes (Received): 62

Nice pictures, and very nice city. Baku looks very beautiful. Thank you Galandar, for uploading this pics

Galandar liked this post
ironalbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1992
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Akkord Plaza - Completed:

Akkord Group of Companies
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1993
Azer_Akhundov

Palitra Residence:

Photos by user emsybax
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1994
Eurodoor

Likes (Received): 355

Does anyone know who builds Palitra Residences?
Eurodoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 04:35 AM   #1995
Azer_Akhundov

AF Towers

http://www.camoglu.com.tr/project-de...code=af-towers

Caravaggio, Neungz liked this post
Azer_Akhundov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1996
The Caspian

There is too much imitation of Dubai. Is it really necessary to copy them, because that is the case. With rising wealth, Baku is of course entitled to many first class projects. But such architecture like the one above does not signify "progress" and progress is not measured with skyscrapers. Baku is an original city, and it should not copy others but be innovational. And there are many beautiful modern examples in the city that prove this.

Last edited by The Caspian; October 24th, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1997
The Caspian

Unfortunately Baku is starting to look like a "Dubai of the Caucasus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avemano View Post
Not a fan of this city urbanism, looks like Dubai, too much nouveaux riches and highways everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
I think, that glitzy over the top Dubai-look is exactly what they are going for. Unfortunately you can't buy a good sense of style...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azer_Akhundov View Post
The reason that Baku is called "Dubai of Caucasus" is not the similarity between architectural styles of Baku and Dubai but amount of construction works going in both cities.
Unfortunately Baku is starting to look like a "Dubai of the Caucasus" exactly because of projects like the one above. I hope they stop this nouveau riche trend towards the kitsch architectural styles that Dubai represents. In fact the government is bothered by this inharmonious clash of architectural styles and the lack of height restrictions and haphazard growth in general and is preparing tackle these by implementing the Greater Baku Regional Development Plan in order create an effective system of control over urban development of Greater Baku, particularly regarding architectural quality and styles of buildings and building projects and putting limits to heights of buildings in central Baku, among others. Better late than never. Let's wait and see.

Last edited by The Caspian; October 24th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old October 25th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #1998
ironalbo
Un chileno más

Likes (Received): 62

nice pictures !!!! Thank you Azer Akhundov for sharing this pictures

Azer_Akhundov liked this post
ironalbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #1999
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator