daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #3201
flashman

Likes (Received): 90

Hmm, former gold medalist and staunch advocate for the stadium decision. Got her cake, now, like many, finding it unappetizing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...12-bosses.html
flashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #3202
MS20

Likes (Received): 1

Anyone have any idea of how this will look reduced to 60k? Has it been mentioned which seating areas are being removed?

I mean, looking at this, I see West Ham riding it out for a few years before decide to completely reconfigure this thing. I was in favour of West Ham winning it, but Spurs idea seems far better now that the turf has been laid (assuming those are accurate dimensions of a football pitch).
MS20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #3203
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 8350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS20 View Post
Anyone have any idea of how this will look reduced to 60k? Has it been mentioned which seating areas are being removed?

I mean, looking at this, I see West Ham riding it out for a few years before decide to completely reconfigure this thing. I was in favour of West Ham winning it, but Spurs idea seems far better now that the turf has been laid (assuming those are accurate dimensions of a football pitch).
Can't see it looking much different than it does now. Adding corporate boxes will reduce the current capacity, and certain parts of the stadium will be closed off whilst the stadium is being used for football.

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic....d74ab9b62a7104
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #3204
Laurence2011
Currywurst king

Likes (Received): 79

I heard they were going to remove seats from behind the screens, thus reducing capacity and removing seats from the worst view in the stadium.. i dont know if there will just be steps or something behind the screens, but i suppose that could look okay.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #3205
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 8350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence2011 View Post
I heard they were going to remove seats from behind the screens, thus reducing capacity and removing seats from the worst view in the stadium.. i dont know if there will just be steps or something behind the screens, but i suppose that could look okay.
Doubt it. They'll probably do something like this:

Also, remember that the capacity for cricket at this stadium will be over 70,000. So, just covering the seats, rather than removing them would make sense.

Last edited by RMB2007; April 6th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #3206
REVUpminster

Likes (Received): 4

The only thing said so far is removing seats behind the screens. there is speculation about the highest seats in the upper tier being taken out to prop up an extended roof which will be three times longer than the existing one and finally remove the seats at the rear of the lower tier under the overhang of the upper tier to create corporate boxes similar to which has been done at a number of old football grounds.
REVUpminster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #3207
Mr_Andersonn

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVUpminster View Post
The only thing said so far is removing seats behind the screens. there is speculation about the highest seats in the upper tier being taken out to prop up an extended roof which will be three times longer than the existing one and finally remove the seats at the rear of the lower tier under the overhang of the upper tier to create corporate boxes similar to which has been done at a number of old football grounds.
I believe West Ham are just going to cover the seating in the upper tiers behind the screens during football mode. If the stadium is to be used for Cricket, these seats will be available which will increase the capacity back up to over 70,000.

I have read somewhere that they are likely to take out the top few rows of the upper tiers to accomodate the new roof and perhaps put some corporate boxes at the top of the stands. I doubt very much that the corporate boxes will be installed behind the goals.

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic....sd=a&start=380
Mr_Andersonn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #3208
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 223

I didnīt get involved in any of those "what club gets this stadium", neither I said something about that...but now watching the grass...damn West Ham fans...this will be an awful place to watch a football match every 2 weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Andre_idol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #3209
Mr_Andersonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_idol View Post
I didnīt get involved in any of those "what club gets this stadium", neither I said something about that...but now watching the grass...damn West Ham fans...this will be an awful place to watch a football match every 2 weeks.
We are very aware Andre that this stadium is not yet fit for football. So we await the refurb of this stadium with hopefully a retractable refit of the lower tier and new roof.

Besides, every major football tournament has a stadium with a running track in there somewhere, and I believe the last 3 or 4 Champions League finals have been held in Olympic Style Stadiums with running tracks.
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #3210
flashman

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Andersonn View Post
We are very aware Andre that this stadium is not yet fit for football. So we await the refurb of this stadium with hopefully a retractable refit of the lower tier and new roof.

Besides, every major football tournament has a stadium with a running track in there somewhere, and I believe the last 3 or 4 Champions League finals have been held in Olympic Style Stadiums with running tracks.
Oh, well that makes it all good, don't it.

Wouldn't shock me to see temporary seating like what they have in San Francisco at Candlestick Park. Normally a baseball stadium with an awkward-shaped field isn't good for football of any kind. But the NFL's 49ers use a grandstand extending up to the top tier. Works for soccer as well. Looks cheap, which will please Hammers owners. But the slope will likely be a very shallow one.

Soccer configuration in San Fran. Pretty accurate forecast of West Ham's turnout, too.

image hosted on flickr

NFL configuration.

flashman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #3211
Widana89
Mujer Amante

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Image from London2012.com

Very nice this stadium..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Widana89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #3212
JimB

Likes (Received): 1660

Quote:

I've yet to hear how a retractable seating system would work.

It's all very well building retractable seats but where would the seats retract to? The stadium hasn't been designed to accommodate them. Where is the space?

As far as I can tell, space can only be created by demolishing the lower tier and, somehow, re-engineering how the upper tier is held up so that they can demolish a big section of the steel structure too.

Even if that were possible and safe, it would be prohibitively expensive. West Ham's Ģ95 million budget will mostly be blown on the new roof; new corporate facilities; food outlets; toilets; and generally West Hamifying the whole place.

No way will they also be able to afford a complex retractable seating system.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #3213
Laurence2011
Currywurst king

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I've yet to hear how a retractable seating system would work.

It's all very well building retractable seats but where would the seats retract to? The stadium hasn't been designed to accommodate them. Where is the space?

As far as I can tell, space can only be created by demolishing the lower tier and, somehow, re-engineering how the upper tier is held up so that they can demolish a big section of the steel structure too.

Even if that were possible and safe, it would be prohibitively expensive. West Ham's Ģ95 million budget will mostly be blown on the new roof; new corporate facilities; food outlets; toilets; and generally West Hamifying the whole place.

No way will they also be able to afford a complex retractable seating system.

i was looking on a west ham fan site earlier and there was some pics of retratable seating in melbourne stadium, basically the lower tier can be kind of wheeled out over the track for football and pushed back for athletics, this would mean demolishing the lower tier, but i think money could be saved if this is only done at the two goal ends of the stadium, as thats where the real problems with the view lies, the view from the side even when there's a jumping pit is not really that bad compared to at the end of the stadium, also the view wouldn't be affected from the upper tier by the retractable seats due the sheer distance of the pitch.. well i hope i explained this well haha i'm not very good at technical stuff
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #3214
Mr_Andersonn

Smile

[QUOTE=flashman;75666083]Oh, well that makes it all good, don't it.

Wouldn't shock me to see temporary seating like what they have in San Francisco at Candlestick Park. Normally a baseball stadium with an awkward-shaped field isn't good for football of any kind. But the NFL's 49ers use a grandstand extending up to the top tier. Works for soccer as well. Looks cheap, which will please Hammers owners. But the slope will likely be a very shallow one.

Soccer configuration in San Fran. Pretty accurate forecast of West Ham's turnout, too.

image hosted on flickr

NFL configuration.

Flashman - Why do you even care? Or is it because your are a scorned Spurs Fan that has been left disgruntled at losing out in your bid to rip off the general public and smash down the Olympic Stadium and build that awful looking thing per Spurs plans.

As for Hammers support, you should do your homework. West Ham have pretty much been in the bottom 6 of the Premier League for 2 years and have sold 94.1% (Approx 33,000) Capacity over that period of time. If Spurs suffered similar results in the league I couldn't see them pulling in decent attendances. But we shall see how it pans out.

You seem a "glass half empty" type of guy!
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #3215
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Yeah. Stop being so pessimistic. It won't be half empty. It will be half full.
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #3216
Mr_Andersonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
Yeah. Stop being so pessimistic. It won't be half empty. It will be half full.
And it may even generate the atmosphere that the emirates has :oP
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #3217
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
And it may even generate the atmosphere that the emirates has :oP
More likely a half full Emirates plus track. No doubt West Ham fans will enjoy that..
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #3218
JimB

Likes (Received): 1660

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman View Post
Oh, well that makes it all good, don't it.

image hosted on flickr
NFL configuration.

Flashman - Why do you even care? Or is it because your are a scorned Spurs Fan that has been left disgruntled at losing out in your bid to rip off the general public and smash down the Olympic Stadium and build that awful looking thing per Spurs plans.

As for Hammers support, you should do your homework. West Ham have pretty much been in the bottom 6 of the Premier League for 2 years and have sold 94.1% (Approx 33,000) Capacity over that period of time. If Spurs suffered similar results in the league I couldn't see them pulling in decent attendances. But we shall see how it pans out.

You must be new to football.

Or you were in a coma for most of the 90's and early noughties.

Spurs were regularly in mid to lower table for much of that time - fighting a number of battles against relegation. Still had sell outs for pretty much every game (as they also did in 2008-09, when once again in danger of the drop).

Last edited by JimB; April 8th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #3219
REVUpminster

Likes (Received): 4

I still do not think there will be retractable seats. the lower tiers could be dismantled and moved forward over the the long jump pits and pole vault but even that would be a costly exercise. Man City upper tiers alongside the pitch were left intact, only the ends were altered.
REVUpminster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3220
Andy-i

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVUpminster View Post
I still do not think there will be retractable seats. the lower tiers could be dismantled and moved forward over the the long jump pits and pole vault but even that would be a costly exercise. Man City upper tiers alongside the pitch were left intact, only the ends were altered.
True: The top 2 tiers were left and a further lower tier added to both sides and 1 end after the Commonwealth games finished.
The round temporary stand used during the games was then demolished and a new 3 tier square stand built at that end.

games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ci...adium_2002.jpg
post games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ea...East_Stand.jpg

Eastlands was always designed with a football legacy in mind unlike this thing!
Andy-i no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, england, london, olympics