daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Mumbai

Mumbai Project news from the Mumbai Metropolitan Region - Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane
» skyscrapers and supertalls | highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1
powai_mumbai

Likes (Received): 28

Mumbai - Next 10 Years

Hi Friends,

I am starting a thread to visualize what Mumbai would be like to stay in the next 10 years.
You are free to provide your views on following areas or more as you think of:

1. Transportation (BEST Bus service, Trains, Metro, Monorail)

2. Malls and Hyper malls

3. Entertainment Zones (for Kids and adults)

4. Foreign Brands (KFC< MCDOnalds, papaJohns, Debenhems, Walmart,Tesco)

5. Parks/Gardens

6. Quality of Highways / Roads
powai_mumbai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #2
angelfire

Likes (Received): 0

Want to be optimistic but...

What with the bandra worli sealink, mumbai metro phase 1 and brts taking forever and shelving of the metro phase 3 (Colaba to Bandra) it looks like mumbai wont change much at least as far as the infrastructure is concerned, it is indeed a shame since places like Hong Kong, shanghai, kuala lumpur and Singapore change so much in just over 2-3 years, a whole metro line from one end of the town to the other (over 70 kms) is laid down in Hong Kong in just over 2 years, likewise a ring route linking all the metros is laid down in Singapore in just over 2 years and here we have a metro route in phase 1 that is taking forever, why even our delhi metro is far better, so I dont hold out much hope for mumbai, as a matter of fact as someone had mentioned Mumbai may soon loose out to more illustrious and fast moving cities in India such as Delhi, CHennai, Hyderabad, Pune, etc.

Only hope that those responsible for these mega projects understand this and take steps to rectify this before it is too late beacuse with the way the buildings are coming up in Mumbai, if infrastructure does not catch up, it would spell doom for the city.

PLEASE WAKE UP AND TAKE ACTION
Quote:
Originally Posted by powai_mumbai View Post
Hi Friends,

I am starting a thread to visualize what Mumbai would be like to stay in the next 10 years.

2. Malls and Hyper malls

5. Parks/Gardens

angelfire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #3
vidya

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powai_mumbai View Post
Hi Friends,

2. Malls and Hyper malls

5. Parks/Gardens

I think all the BEST Bus service, Trains, Metro, Monorail will be full of A/C

Mumbai will be full of mall. I think there will be nothing call as small retail store. 25 retails shops will be demoilished and malls will be build. and in that also there will be compition like which developers is coming up with the biggest mall eg Dahisar MALL

entertainment zones - aaaaaaaaaaaaa... no idea but yes it will increase as compare to today.

India will be full of foreign brand only. no vada-pav only burger

Very few parks and gardens. which will be very difficult to find out.

Roads will be of definately of good quality. No holes on roads will be there during rainy seasons.
vidya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #4
zenith_suv

Likes (Received): 37

Mumbai is a megacity and deserves a lot , however my expectations remain modest for any Indian city given the progress I have been bought up with.

1.) A comprehensive drainage system , no more flooding due to excessive rain - If the dutch can do , so can we. Mumbai is not a village for hevans sake , this would be a first basic priority.

2.) No slums - While I understand that these are homes for many of the poor but it's ridiculous that there exists stuff like Slum Rehab Prog. which have done nothing , slums in central mumbai are a blot on India's commercial capital and people living in these are unsafe too.

3.) More green cover - If Delhi can improve it's green cover , it's hardly difficult for mumbai.

4.)Envt. friendly sky scrapers - Every building coming up is adding heat to it's surroundings , a majestic skyline with a envt. friendly structure , is ti too much to ask ?
zenith_suv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #5
powai_mumbai

1. Transportation buses will be modernised, there will be Airconditioned buses.

2. Not sure about trains though. Ofcourse Metro and Monorails would be Airconditioned.

3. Technology as compared to developed nations would be also available.
Like ticket vending machines at all stations, internet wi-fi available at malls and open parks.

4. Civic sense will not improve. People will still defecate in open places.
some people will still spit on the roads.

5. Hygiene standards will still be low. Road side food will be available (like Bhelpuri and Sevpuri, vada-pav), people will be selling stuff without wearing hand gloves.

6. ROads will improve tremendously, the Highways, mumbai, thane roads should not have much pot-holes.
But, but but....traffic rules will not be followed much..(such as today).
Drivers would still Honk without any reason (such as standing on the Red lights)
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #6
TdotTdot

Likes (Received): 64

The reason people in India dont respect the sanctity of public places is largely because the economic divide between the rich and the poor. Until the poor and rural areas are drawn a share in Indias prosperity, they wont give a f*** about rich peoples playgrounds aka the city. Indias problems are deep rooted and until changes occur at the grass root level, nothing is going to change.
TdotTdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #7
dreadathecontrols
unregistered

Likes (Received): 23

If the time scale is 20 years there will be huge changes.10, not so much...Infrastructure wise anyway.
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #8
powai_mumbai

Suburb and South Mumbai / Divide

I am a suburban resident, that too in the far outskirts of mumbai (in mira road)..

There is a vast divide betwen suburb and south mumbai (forget about rich and poor).

South mumbai gets municipal water (24/7), good roads, train frequency is far better, BEST transportation etc..

where as suburb has less facilities like BEST buses are less, trains (all know this, virar trains are so crowded), Toll (1000rs. permonth)...whereas the flyovers are being used by those in mumbai.

hmm...kucch socha padega...
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:53 AM   #9
Sumeet1981

Likes (Received): 3

lets stop being kids and behave as mature people. Concentrate on things that are happening now instead of making palaces of imagination.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sumeet1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:33 AM   #10
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 12

I don't think Mumbai will improve in the next 10 years unless major infrastructural reforms are put in place:

More rail-based mass transit options. Our commuter rail service is pushed to the edge and cannot be improved upon unless the load is diverted from it. We need:
- a cohesive network of integrated light rail systems such as elevated transit and an effective tram-based system
- the completion of an effective metro rail network
- opening up the commuter rail system to competition, as seen in the Tokyo Rail system.
- an emphasis on mass transit and a greater investment in buses in an attempt to take away the 'poor man's' stigma attached to mass transit

There's a lot more than this, but I'm sleepy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Mahratta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:59 AM   #11
bhopalus

Likes (Received): 11

mumbai is dying. delhi and ahmedabad and a couple others are catching up and will have an advantage because of the infrastructure projects. and when GIFT happens, who knows what'll happen to mumbai...
bhopalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:17 AM   #12
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopalus View Post
mumbai is dying. delhi and ahmedabad and a couple others are catching up and will have an advantage because of the infrastructure projects. and when GIFT happens, who knows what'll happen to mumbai...
Catching up? Infrastructurally speaking, Delhi is aeons ahead...

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Mahratta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:02 AM   #13
vidya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitreyaSequeira View Post
yes Maitreya Delhi is also ahead , because common wealth games are coming up. and so infrastructure is changing ckeck it
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:33 PM   #14
powai_mumbai

I heard that the F1 race is being hosted in outskirts of delhi, Vijay mallya has puchased some land (Faridabad or gaziabad or gurgaon)...

so does that mean these small cities will also get best of infrastructure.

The only way for mumbai to improve and get more grants is to host the 2020 Olympic games (Just kidding, i think by then atleast some progress would be made)
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:52 PM   #15
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

Likes (Received): 3

the formula one circuit is being built near greater noida by the JP group

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryP...+Greater+Noida
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:24 AM   #16
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitreyaSequeira View Post
besides roads, what else? and parks for sure
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM   #17
vidya

I agree with Powai mumbai and Bombay boy.
Also one solution is there that people from mumbai should migrate from mumbai to some another place
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM   #18
dreadathecontrols
unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy View Post
besides roads, what else? and parks for sure
Erm, the metro?
Besides that and all the hue n cry about the capital,excluding NCR, mumbai is still the daddy.I incliude social indicators in this.
Acvtually I should reserve judgement as I aint been delhiside for years.
BTW why was there no gay pride parade in mumbai? Seemed odd, when delhi & bangalore got one.
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM   #19
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 9

the metro or the suburban rail system? i'd take the WR and CR for now, the delhi metro is not in the same league. maybe the metro will be better in 25-30 years. who knows how big bombay's own metro will be by then

delhi gets these central government sponsored infra boosts every 20 years or so. asiad, commonwealth, etc. the rush for infra may not be the same post-2010. unless the GoI bids delhi for the olympics of course
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM   #20
dreadathecontrols
unregistered

Wait a min i think im a bit lost..
Are u saying that the delhi metro system is not as good as bombays sub rail network?
Or the other way round?
Re reading the last few post i think i might be coming from the upside down angle...
So to clarify....Delhis ahead in ... parks , road.And the metro.
Oh & you can get a better Rajma there.
Probably...

Last edited by dreadathecontrols; August 1st, 2008 at 07:11 PM.
dreadathecontrols no está en línea   Reply With Quote