daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Mumbai

Mumbai Project news from the Mumbai Metropolitan Region - Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane
» skyscrapers and supertalls | highrises



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

Mumbai Discussions II

Mumbai's roads are commuters' nightmare

Quote:
Last night there was a traffic jam on Peddar Road at 9.30pm. If you go in the south to north direction of central business district to residential suburbs, the rush-hour would begin at 6 and start easing off in South Mumbai around 8pm. This was not so long ago. Now it starts off at 5.30. And if the traffic is crawling even at 9.30 on Peddar Road, the clogged traffic is not likely to ease off
in Juhu/Andheri till 10.30. Soon that will become 11pm.

Mumbai adds over 100,000 (one lakh) to its vehicle population every year. This rapid ‘birth rate’ has seen the city’s vehicles go up in numbers from an estimated 50,000 in 1951 to over 1.7 million now. The break-up is 530,000 cars, 920,000 two wheelers, 63,000 taxis and 110,000 auto-rickshaws. In the same period, Mumbai’s road length increased from 777 km to 1930 km. In percentage terms, the road length went up by 250%, which doesn’t seen so bad till you see that in the same period, the vehicle population went up by 3700%!

You don’t have to be a traffic expert to look at these figures and say that there can only be two solutions to the problem: the first, reduce the growth in the number of vehicles. The second, increase road length as quickly as possible.

If only it were so easy! You can’t reduce the growth of cars for the simple reason that in a democracy no one can curb any citizen’s right to buy what he wants. You could discourage it by upping taxes and duties but the automobile sector does play an important role in the economy of a country, so a government overburdens it at its own peril.


That leaves only one option: building roads, lengthwise and breadth wise, as quickly as possible. That needs money, and even more than money, the organisational and political will which has so sadly been lacking so far. How long has the Peddar Road flyover taken to get off the ground? Apparently it’s been waiting for environmental clearance for the last few years!

One of the reasons that low priority is given to road infrastructure by governments is because it is seen as a problem of the affluent and not of the aam aadmi. Yes, car owners suffer due to poor traffic infrastructure, but their discomfort is infinitely less than for those who travel in crowded and sweaty buses and trains.

The real solution, as we all know, is for the city’s train system to become world class. London’s Underground is the shining example: because it is so good, the city imposes a huge charge on cars driven into the city centre. And because the train and bus services are so comprehensive, London can make do with only 20,000 cabs, an unbelievably small number when compared to our figure of 63,000 taxis and 110,000 auto-rickshaws — a massive number of vehicles-for-hire which further clog our roads whether they are plying passengers or waiting for them.

A small digression here. London has so very few taxis even though it has no official restriction on them. This is for two reasons. The first is that each licensed driver of a black cab must have exhaustive and intimate knowledge of each and every street and square of the city, a knowledge so deep that it can take two years to assimilate. Secondly, London’s black cabs have to be of certain dimensions and specifications and so far only three manufactures have been able to combine the comfort and
engineering required.

Reduce the number of taxis and autos drastically, remove the taxi stands on main roads, prohibit double parking anywhere, make buses stop near the pavement and not in the middle of the road… and see the difference it makes to traffic flow even with the present road length and present vehicle population.

Ultimately, this will not be enough. A comprehensive public transport system must be in place, otherwise we will soon spend all our waking hours stuck in the middle of Mumbai roads.
http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/colu...htmare_1361835
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

Now this is my proposal

Just like central London we make sure that areas of the Island city like say CST to Colaba, Worli seaface and BKC have a Rs200 flat entry fee during rush hours from 7am to 11am.

this will

-atleast ensure that more people car pool reducing the number of two wheelers.

-reduce traffic to increase the speed of buses.

-be a nice income generator for the city.



what do you guys think?
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM   #3
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched
 
bharatiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai, MH; New York, NY
Posts: 1,246
Likes (Received): 20

We NEED this implemented, for all business areas of the city and anywhere that there is lots of congestion in the city. This should be a high enough fee so that it takes off a sizable chunk of cars off the road PERMANENTLY. With less cars on the road, buses can move faster and more can be implemented into the fleet. Maybe we can even set up a "peak hour" BRTS which functions in a single direction based on timing, although by this point the CBDs of Mumbai are more spread out. Perhaps if we charge Rs 400, we can get many drivers off the road. On top of that, of course, we need to improve our public transport, particularly the suburban railway. Integrating this with a comprehensive Metro network will fulfill our traffic needs.
bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:35 AM   #4
p2p4
Registered User
 
p2p4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: HK
Posts: 2,920
Likes (Received): 1415

Khazwe-maaroo-daaroo,

All is lost when you have a plethora of car companies setting up base in India ! Why? "Cos India has the largest market share due to its rising economy" - or so such type of bollock is laid out and said !!!

When one middle class household has more than 2 cars, you know that there is something seriously wrong with how the govt is allowing more cars on the road. You live in Thane.. come over to Navi Mumbai area, or go Mumbai South (where all the uber-class rich live) and count the number of cars per owner ! You will be shocked.

IN a locality where I always hang around when in Navi Mumbai, I see a vulgar display of car ownership. It is sickening, not because of envy, but because of the general level of apathy. One car for hubby, one car for wife, one car for kids and one car for grandparents... Now that Nano is so cheap, I am sure many households will buy a nano for their kaamwaalis.

Till the govt doesn't raise taxes on fuel guzzling cars, (OR - raise tax on households that own more than 1 cars), this problem will remain no matter how many other preventive measures you come up with.

But then, the govt. won't dare raise taxes cos the car manufacturers lobby, together members of Automobile Association of India will be up in arms. Thats the true reality, really!

Humbly opining,
p2p4





Quote:
Originally Posted by IchimaruGin1 View Post
Now this is my proposal

Just like central London we make sure that areas of the Island city like say CST to Colaba, Worli seaface and BKC have a Rs200 flat entry fee during rush hours from 7am to 11am.

this will

-atleast ensure that more people car pool reducing the number of two wheelers.

-reduce traffic to increase the speed of buses.

-be a nice income generator for the city.



what do you guys think?
p2p4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Bombay Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,615
Likes (Received): 8

i am in favour of congestion charging, as long as the public transport option is viable for those who leave their cars at home. the current public transport can is already over-capacity, dont think it can take many more

and ironically south bombay has lower levels of congestion than suburbs like bandra, andheri, powai, WEH, etc
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #6
KuwarOnline
kuwaronline
 
KuwarOnline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai/Delhi
Posts: 4,093
Likes (Received): 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy View Post
i am in favour of congestion charging, as long as the public transport option is viable for those who leave their cars at home. the current public transport can is already over-capacity, dont think it can take many more

and ironically south bombay has lower levels of congestion than suburbs like bandra, andheri, powai, WEH, etc
+1,,,,at least people will use public tranportation.
KuwarOnline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM   #7
zenith_suv
Registered User
 
zenith_suv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,877
Likes (Received): 36

Public transport should be such that any place in MMR is no more than a 5 minute walk from a metro or mono rail station and connected to every part of the city be it Bandra or Dharavi.
zenith_suv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Indiadreams
indiadreams
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,204
Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy View Post
i am in favour of congestion charging, as long as the public transport option is viable for those who leave their cars at home. the current public transport can is already over-capacity, dont think it can take many more

and ironically south bombay has lower levels of congestion than suburbs like bandra, andheri, powai, WEH, etc
cant agree more. Bandra W and Andheri W have the highest levels of congestion in the whole MMR. Unless, they implement Metro and other public transporation projects, congestion surcharge cannot be a reality.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM   #9
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

well public transport is a viable solution no doubt

but i see a lot of people who are driving alone in their cars. I feel those people need to carpool. Ie instead of one dude in the car there are 4.
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM   #10
dhim100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 806
Likes (Received): 0

In Singapore if you are a car owner you pay road tax, this is to decrease traffic and encourage people to take public transport. I think Bombay should have something like that.
dhim100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM   #11
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p4 View Post
Khazwe-maaroo-daaroo,

All is lost when you have a plethora of car companies setting up base in India ! Why? "Cos India has the largest market share due to its rising economy" - or so such type of bollock is laid out and said !!!

When one middle class household has more than 2 cars, you know that there is something seriously wrong with how the govt is allowing more cars on the road. You live in Thane.. come over to Navi Mumbai area, or go Mumbai South (where all the uber-class rich live) and count the number of cars per owner ! You will be shocked.

IN a locality where I always hang around when in Navi Mumbai, I see a vulgar display of car ownership. It is sickening, not because of envy, but because of the general level of apathy. One car for hubby, one car for wife, one car for kids and one car for grandparents... Now that Nano is so cheap, I am sure many households will buy a nano for their kaamwaalis.

Till the govt doesn't raise taxes on fuel guzzling cars, (OR - raise tax on households that own more than 1 cars), this problem will remain no matter how many other preventive measures you come up with.

But then, the govt. won't dare raise taxes cos the car manufacturers lobby, together members of Automobile Association of India will be up in arms. Thats the true reality, really!

Humbly opining,

p2p4

I live in mulund but its the same case in thane. (in general area) too many cars per family. You can get cars in the used car market already at prices less than 1 lakh. But to be honest even my family has two cars so we are not anybody to call others as not responsible. But the second car is hardly ever used.

I really dont think that putting a bind on the car industry is the way forward as you said it generates jobs and incomes. Cause Mumbai is not india and obviously different places need different laws.

But i just think that areas with high office concentration need to be cordoned off with tariffs. To force those who drive alone to carpool to offset their costs.


Things are so bad that I actually use ghodbunder road and weh to get to andheri from mulund .

and i get there is about 1 hour despite it being a 30km longer route than directly going there. cause i go against the flow of rush hour traffic. Granted you have to pay more toll but its worth it.
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:30 AM   #12
KuwarOnline
kuwaronline
 
KuwarOnline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai/Delhi
Posts: 4,093
Likes (Received): 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchimaruGin1 View Post
I live in mulund but its the same case in thane. (in general area) too many cars per family. You can get cars in the used car market already at prices less than 1 lakh. But to be honest even my family has two cars so we are not anybody to call others as not responsible. But the second car is hardly ever used.

I really dont think that putting a bind on the car industry is the way forward as you said it generates jobs and incomes. Cause Mumbai is not india and obviously different places need different laws.

But i just think that areas with high office concentration need to be cordoned off with tariffs. To force those who drive alone to carpool to offset their costs.


Things are so bad that I actually use ghodbunder road and weh to get to andheri from mulund .

and i get there is about 1 hour despite it being a 30km longer route than directly going there. cause i go against the flow of rush hour traffic. Granted you have to pay more toll but its worth it.
well while i was in Thane(vasant Vihar) I used to get thr EEH ->Mulund Toll Naka ->Powai(thr JVLR worst place to drive only).....only two places i use to get traffic....that in Andheri(e) thr MIDC road and Powai...then nice Expressway....till Thane....Majiwade......

"Cause Mumbai is not india and obviously different places need different laws."
I didnt got u....???

another point....even NYC/London have more traffic,,,I m delhi now....same here....nothin better in term of traffic even say worse.....cause here 6 million cars n mumbai just 2 million...now u can think....wht kind of traffic jams u can expect.....every metro has same issue....now dont even think about traffic...its just part of life.....
KuwarOnline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM   #13
sumant
Registered User
 
sumant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 635
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Things are so bad that I actually use ghodbunder road and weh to get to andheri from mulund .
Is JVLR that clogged up during weekdays.it cant be any worse that the ghodbunder ,w-e-h route.
sumant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:17 AM   #14
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

for me atleast eeh is well sufficiently well flowing road. I think i have always done 30km per hour on it even in rush hour on it.

and the reason why it actually clogs up is truck drivers who think they are gods gift to earth when they travel at 15km per her hour on a clear road. So many times you see the traffic clogged up cause of them. They shamelessly keep on driving slowly despite you honking at them.

Kuwar,mumbai is a city india is a country. Like the rent laws of india which do not fit mumbai. The congestion charge of mumbai will not fit rest of india.

Sumant

what your forgetting is that ghodbunder I go against the normal flow of traffic. Majority of the traffic is headed for south mumbai. IE part of my route is against the flow of rush hour traffic. Which makes it way more easier.
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #15
Indiadreams
indiadreams
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,204
Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumant View Post
Is JVLR that clogged up during weekdays.it cant be any worse that the ghodbunder ,w-e-h route.
from IIT to LBS Marg works are going on, so traffic piles up. From SEEPZ to WEH, there are too many signals (most of them for small side lanes), stopping the traffic flow towards WEH especially. The middle part betwen SEEPZ and Hiranandani has smooth traffic flow, just like WEH and EEH, most of the times.

They have to remove all those small signals in JVLR. 3-4 major signals would suffice given the lower population density.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM   #16
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post
from IIT to LBS Marg works are going on, so traffic piles up. From SEEPZ to WEH, there are too many signals (most of them for small side lanes), stopping the traffic flow towards WEH especially. The middle part betwen SEEPZ and Hiranandani has smooth traffic flow, just like WEH and EEH, most of the times.

They have to remove all those small signals in JVLR. 3-4 major signals would suffice given the lower population density.
so true

and the problem is one vehicle always breakdown further choking it.
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #17
sumant
Registered User
 
sumant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 635
Likes (Received): 13

I think they are already building skywalks along jvlr so the signal issue will be sorted out before monsoon I guess.
sumant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM   #18
qwertyasd
India Waiting
 
qwertyasd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mum-Bay Area
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 1

Until they build 2-3 more metro lines, I would not support a congestion charge.

I think its ok to own as many cars as you can - just make drivers pay through their nose for petrol, parking, etc. and that will cut usage. Keep your car at home, at least on weekdays.
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM   #19
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasd View Post
Until they build 2-3 more metro lines, I would not support a congestion charge.

I think its ok to own as many cars as you can - just make drivers pay through their nose for petrol, parking, etc. and that will cut usage. Keep your car at home, at least on weekdays.
hmm thats not a good idea

increase in petrol prices will make food(fruits and vegetables) and many items which need to be transported within the city costly. You will be hitting the poor hard with this. You increase petrol prices you will also increase cost of many other things.

secondly you will be creating a petrol mafia who fill up tankers in say Dahanu etc at cheaper rates and then sell it in mumbai on the black market.


Parking needs to be heavily enforced all round the city with cctv etc otherwise people will disobey the law.
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #20
IchimaruGin1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,112
Likes (Received): 1

guys what do you think are the prospects for medical tourism in mumbai?
IchimaruGin1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
property, residential buildings, township

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu