daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Mumbai

Mumbai Project news from the Mumbai Metropolitan Region - Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane
» skyscrapers and supertalls | highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3701
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post
Only the person who named it might know. After a very difficult google, I am guessing that it is the telephone exchange lane in 4 bungalows. But, I don't see a need for a flyover there. Again some useless proposals from babus.

Juhu circle is the biggest nightmare of Andheri W. It is in dire need of a complex interchange.
Woah, I lived in and around Four Bungalows for ten years, including two years in the MARKET area itself. I never knew such a road existed.

Are you talking of the Versova Telephone Exchange near Mhada Layout?

Sponsored Links

Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM   #3702
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 730

Yes Versova telephone exchange Mhada.

Not surprising. Even a person staying here for 50 years would not know!

In fact, a significant majority of people in Lokhandwala do not know that the official name is Swami Samarth Nagar. This in spite of the fact that many buses use it in the board. I really don't get the concept of naming everything with complex official names which take years to pronounce! Lokhandwala Complex is a well established postal address and everyone from SBI to post office use that name.
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:50 PM   #3703
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiadreams View Post
Yes Versova telephone exchange Mhada.

Not surprising. Even a person staying here for 50 years would not know!

In fact, a significant majority of people in Lokhandwala do not know that the official name is Swami Samarth Nagar. This in spite of the fact that many buses use it in the board. I really don't get the concept of naming everything with complex official names which take years to pronounce! Lokhandwala Complex is a well established postal address and everyone from SBI to post office use that name.
I knew the area North of the Telephone exchange was called Swami Samarth nagar.
I lived two buildings after the telephone exchange for close to five years.
Is a flyover really needed there?
Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM   #3704
Indiadreams
indiadreams

Likes (Received): 730

Not needed. It is just a time pass for babus. There are thousands of such proposals for Andheri W. There were some new roads proposed long back. I dont know what happened to that

The only places where flyovers are needed in Andheri W, IMO (in terms of priority).

1. Juhu circle (It is high time they build it. Now that it is sure that Metro is not going to be elevated atleast in this area)

2. 4 bungalows Market Kamdhenu junction - very difficult to execute though, given the elevated metro and narrow roads /market.

3. Infiniti Mall junction

4. Indian Oil Junction (bit complex but doable inspite of elevated metro)

The last 3 are not urgent requirements
Indiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3705
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Also, at junction of Gulmohar Road and Barfiwala Marg.
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #3706
akbarsyed

Likes (Received): 680

One question guys , whats up with the old Vashi creek bridge . I think there's still some life left in it coz I still see vehicles using it . May be they could just reinforce it and use it for the SIon Panvel expressway expansion or may be for Metro Line 2 to connect it to Vashi . Not sure about the technicalities though .
akbarsyed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #3707
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarsyed View Post
One question guys , whats up with the old Vashi creek bridge . I think there's still some life left in it coz I still see vehicles using it . May be they could just reinforce it and use it for the SIon Panvel expressway expansion or may be for Metro Line 2 to connect it to Vashi . Not sure about the technicalities though .
It's currently being used by two wheelers.
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3708
Coolguyz

Likes (Received): 7811

Quote:
The flyover built by PWD is now under gas pipeline company which has pipes goin under it. Its has been declared unsafe and only 2 wheelers are allowed to pass. Boulders were placed at its entrance but stil some 4wheelers try to enter dont know why
Coolguyz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #3709
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguyz View Post
The flyover built by PWD is now under gas pipeline company which has pipes goin under it. Its has been declared unsafe and only 2 wheelers are allowed to pass. Boulders were placed at its entrance but stil some 4wheelers try to enter dont know why
Must've felt suicidal or wanted to experience the 'thrill'.
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3710
akbarsyed

Looks like these people haven't understood the concept of a coastal road clearly . Well if I am not mistaken there will be new promenades on the farther end of the road and even the existing promenades will be retained as per the plan . If they can have pedestrian overbridges for access to the new promenades which they definitely will then I dont see any reason why people should oppose this .

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...-clear_1755884

Barely two weeks after Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray suggested that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) undertake the coastal road project instead of the state, a city environmentalist has launched an online campaign opposing the project.

Recently, top BMC officials had made a presentation to Thackeray in connection with the project. It was then that he suggested to BMC to expedite work on the Rs8,000-crore project. It is considered chief minister Prithviraj Chavan’s dream project, and it was he who had appointed former civic chief Subodh Kumar to submit a report on it to the state. The report was submitted nearly a year ago.

Environmentalist Rishi Aggarwal, in his petition on www.change.org, has said the project will deprive citizens of promenades and recreational areas like those along Carter Road and Bandstand in Bandra. “The mangroves will be under threat. We are living in a space-starved city. If the coastal road takes shape, we will lose whatever recreational areas we have along the coast,” he added.

He said that instead of pumping huge amount of money into this project, the funds be utilised to improve the city’s existing infrastructure like roads and footpaths, and bettering transport services. He intends to collect 10,000 signatures before taking up the issue with Chavan, BMC and other government agencies.

“If the appeal fails to get 10,000 signatures, I will withdraw the petition as a sign of public support to the coastal project,” he added. As on October 24, the petition had received 137 responses.

Aggarwal’s petition has found support from different parts of the city. Hansel D’souza, spokesperson for Juhu Citizens’ Welfare Group, which has been protesting against the project for nearly a year, said, “We are support the petition completely. Our group has already submitted a complaint to the Union minister of environment and forests against the project.”

Despite several attempts, Chavan and BMC chief Sitaram Kunte remained unavailable for comment. A senior state government official said, “The project is still at a very nascent stage. It is being planned and not even proposed to the central government. So, if there are concerns being raised, they will be heard.”
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3711
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keit78hk View Post
Telephone exchange was called Swami Samarth nagar.
Actually, that area is Sardar Patel Nagar.
Swami Samarth Nagar is near Lokhandwala Complex.
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:09 AM   #3712
akbarsyed

Something to laugh for early in the morning

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...-works_1758224

Mumbai may soon get its third cable-stayed bridge, with the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) planning to construct a section of the proposed Worli-Sewri connector using this technology.

The elevated road, which will begin near the Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL), will serve as a connector to the proposed Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL).

Presently, the 4.7km long Bandra-Worli SeaLink (BWSL) has two cable-stayed sections.

A senior MMRDA official said that since the section near the rail overbridge near the Elphinstone Road railway station has a narrow carriageway, it will not be possible to put up pillars for the elevated road on it. “Hence, we might construct a span of the bridge using cable stays,” he added. The MMRDA plans to float tenders for the project by December.

However, MMRDA officials admit that the elevated road plan will be tough to execute logistically, as it passes through a developed area and crosses the railway tracks more than once. Moreover, the road will have to soar to a height of around 27 to 28 metres at places such as the Elphinstone Road railway station, due to the railways’ plans for an elevated Churchgate-Virar rail corridor.
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM   #3713
bhargavsura

A city of elevated structures and more to come.
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:13 AM   #3714
akbarsyed

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17040553.cms

MUMBAI: The construction of the Pedder Road flyover may take time to get off the ground as the Union ministry of environment and forests (MoEF) will take the crucial decision on green clearance to the project at a meeting to be held next week.

"The traffic police are in the process of giving us only the no-objection certificate for soil testing on certain stretches of Pedder Road so as to help us prepare design and construction strategy. This NOC is not the permission to appoint the developer and construct the flyover," said a senior Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) official.

Joint commissioner of police (traffic) Vivek Phansalkar confirmed that the MSRDC had been given the go-ahead for a 'geo-strata technical assessment' on Peddar Road. "This exercise will help determine the soil's load-bearing capacity beneath the road. Rock testing work will begin mid-November and will continue for at least ten days," said a senior officer from the traffic department.

An MSRDC official said even after the green clearance comes through, it will take time for the bidding process to get under way. "The construction will have to be on a par with international standards. Moreover, the traffic diversions during construction will be a daunting task. We will need time to plan it to ensure that there are no complaints from the residents and commuters," he added.

"We have suggested that the work be done between afternoon and 10pm. It will be shut during the morning as Peddar Road sees heavy traffic," Phansalkar said. Time slots and exact drilling locations will be scheduled by the MSRDC and submitted to the traffic police.

At least four machines will work at a time to drill holes. The rock testing carried out by the MSRDC will be useful to finalize the flyover's design, number of pillars and pile locations, sources said.

The MSRDC hopes to instal pillars at 100 locations. "The MSRDC is planning a central pillar system but the civic body may not give it the go-ahead, as there are civic utilities running beneath," an official said.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #3715
akbarsyed

Looks like the big shots of Bandra need some As's Kicking . I think its time the matter is taken to court and the court should give a ruling taking into account the benefits a coastal road will bring to the majority of Mumbaikars . Ironically the people who are opposing it are the very people who own multiple cars and are responsible for much of the traffic in the city . If the coastal road is executed as it is planned I dont see any problem with it .

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...d-plan_1759136
Citizens all across the west coast of Mumbai are opposing the ambitious Mumbai Coastal Freeway, a new 35-km stretch from Marine Drive to Malad, recommended by a joint technical committee headed by civic chief Subodh Kumar.

Bandra West Residents Association (BWRA), with other residents associations from the city’s west half, met on Thursday to spread awareness about issues that follow such infrastructural growth, and garner support from the public at large.

Architect PK Das said, “There are two options in this plan: One ignores all natural situations on large stretches of landfilled roads in the sea and mangroves, and another offers varied roads depending on the natural conditions of the locations.”

Rushi Aggarwal, from the Mangroves Association of India, said, “A coastal freeway reclaiming the sea and mangroves will deteriorate the ecological balance of the city.”

BWRA president Darryl D’Monte, said, “Today’s meeting is to create awareness about the issues this plan will cost due to the huge size of land this project will require.”

Citizens from the group demand that the government not finalise the plans before taking into consideration the concerns they put forth.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3716
Ashbaggins

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Looks like the big shots of Bandra need some As's Kicking . I think its time the matter is taken to court and the court should give a ruling taking into account the benefits a coastal road will bring to the majority of Mumbaikars . Ironically the people who are opposing it are the very people who own multiple cars and are responsible for much of the traffic in the city . If the coastal road is executed as it is planned I dont see any problem with it .
You can grind your teeth all you want, but I think it makes no sense to blithely dismiss some serious issues with said project. Why shouldn't concerns be raised about the mangroves along the coast? Does ecology have no place on this forum? What about the beachfronts at Juhu? What about existing roads along the coast like Bandstand and Carter Road, which are aesthetically and socially significant to the western suburbs? What about draining the massive commuter traffic of the western suburbs through areas that are't meant to be arterial roads?

Frustration about the traffic/road situation in Mumbai is perfectly justified and valid, but ascribing to patch-work quick-fix solutions like the ******* coastal road is mad. It is only a few degrees better than the sealink plan which was totally bonkers. Honestly, I have no better ideas, but we're in a sad state of affairs if this coastal road is the answer. God help us if we cant come up with something better.

And another thing: I have no clue who the people quoted in the paper are. How is it you know that they are "the very people who own multiple cars and are responsible for much of the traffic in the city"? Have you done some special survey about these folks you'd like to share? I don't think it's fair to hurl insults at these people when they are just making their views heard, which - by the way - I mostly agree with.
Ashbaggins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:19 PM   #3717
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbaggins View Post
You can grind your teeth all you want, but I think it makes no sense to blithely dismiss some serious issues with said project. Why shouldn't concerns be raised about the mangroves along the coast? Does ecology have no place on this forum? What about the beachfronts at Juhu? What about existing roads along the coast like Bandstand and Carter Road, which are aesthetically and socially significant to the western suburbs? What about draining the massive commuter traffic of the western suburbs through areas that are't meant to be arterial roads?

Frustration about the traffic/road situation in Mumbai is perfectly justified and valid, but ascribing to patch-work quick-fix solutions like the ******* coastal road is mad. It is only a few degrees better than the sealink plan which was totally bonkers. Honestly, I have no better ideas, but we're in a sad state of affairs if this coastal road is the answer. God help us if we cant come up with something better.

And another thing: I have no clue who the people quoted in the paper are. How is it you know that they are "the very people who own multiple cars and are responsible for much of the traffic in the city"? Have you done some special survey about these folks you'd like to share? I don't think it's fair to hurl insults at these people when they are just making their views heard, which - by the way - I mostly agree with.
Hmmm well said Ashbaggins. While I am not sure about the merits of a coastal road, I feel upgrading and linking some of the existing coastal roads might still provide some relief without wholesale damage to the ecology.
e.g Linking Bandstand to BWSL near Bandra Fort/Taj Lands End via an interchange (with links to the BWSL promenade, Bandstand Rd to Carter Rd at Chimbai (bridge) and then Carter Road to JuhuTara Road (bridge) through Danda may provide an alternative to SV road Linking road. The traffic will then flow onto V.Mehta road which links to Link Road and SV road. So commuters wont have to endure the congested khira nagar-old khar stretch on SV road or the shopper heavy linking road. The entire stretch should be 4+4 lanes (all concrete) and good wide promenades should be put up on the sea front wherever feasible. Traffic light at key intersections and proper measures to cross roads like pedestrain overpasses. It will need some land acquisition and road broadening, But overall its is less invasive and still effective.

Of course Residents of the coastal areas wouldn't like it anyways since their little paradise stands to be violated by heavy peak hour traffic.
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:26 PM   #3718
akbarsyed

Well if you back into the past you will find that its only the elite of Mumbai that has been opposing crucial projects . The classic examples are peddar road flyover , Metro line 2 . The flyovers at Dadar , Mohd Ali Road , Parel which pass through very congested localities hardly met with any opposition , could be because these areas are occupied by the middle and lower class .
Coastal roads have been made at many places across the world without damaging the ecology of that particular area . Bandra reclamation , backbay are all built on reclaimed land . If you see the Kochi marine drive I guess your idea about a coastal road will change . As for Juhu beach they will be going underground after Khardanda if I am not mistaken . If you read the plan carefully you'll find that they have addressed most of the issues and the plan says if they dont get permission to cut mangroves they can continue building a road on stilts .
If you see the jetties at Rewas which is an area that has a massive mangrove coverage they are built on stilts and I havent seen any damage on the mangroves there .
With the number of cars increasing everyday freeways have become a must for Mumbai . No matter how efficient your public transportation is , there will be certain people who will still prefer travelling in their personal vehicles .
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3719
Ashbaggins

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
Hmmm well said Ashbaggins. While I am not sure about the merits of a coastal road, I feel upgrading and linking some of the existing coastal roads might still provide some relief without wholesale damage to the ecology.
e.g Linking Bandstand to BWSL near Bandra Fort/Taj Lands End via an interchange (with links to the BWSL promenade, Bandstand Rd to Carter Rd at Chimbai (bridge) and then Carter Road to JuhuTara Road (bridge) through Danda may provide an alternative to SV road Linking road. The traffic will then flow onto V.Mehta road which links to Link Road and SV road. So commuters wont have to endure the congested khira nagar-old khar stretch on SV road or the shopper heavy linking road. The entire stretch should be 4+4 lanes (all concrete) and good wide promenades should be put up on the sea front wherever feasible. Traffic light at key intersections and proper measures to cross roads like pedestrain overpasses. It will need some land acquisition and road broadening, But overall its is less invasive and still effective.

Of course Residents of the coastal areas wouldn't like it anyways since their little paradise stands to be violated by heavy peak hour traffic.
That is actually a very good idea. It'll spare most of the mangroves and will provide at least some tiny bit of a respite respite to commuters by providing an alternate route.

However, the loss of Bandstand and Carter Road isn't a triviality. They aren't a just pretty seaside roads. In a city without public squares and piazzas, they play a very important role in what little iota of "culture" that Mumbai has. And they aren't just for their own residents enjoyment. Case in point are the little public concerts that they have at these places regularly. We shouldn't have to give up the city's few creature comforts. They should become just another anonymous pair of roads.
Ashbaggins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3720
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
With the number of cars increasing everyday freeways have become a must for Mumbai . No matter how efficient your public transportation is , there will be certain people who will still prefer travelling in their personal vehicles .
I will not disagree, however WEH is the 1st candidate to be a freeway elevated or otherwise.
The other problem in Mumbai is that arterial roads are often discontinuous. The Link Road ends at the northern end of Juhu aerodrome and the linking road ends to its south. This diverts all traffic via Juhu road and SV rd which in those areas are not well equipped to handle the load. A tunnel below aerodrome would provide much needed relief. Similarly at Oshiwara the Link road dead ends and one has to cross over to the New Link Rd. A direct link via flyover/tunnel would provide speedier route for the traffic. There are many more issues like these on other arterial roads. Solving these may actually provide better options for motorists.
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai