daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > East > East India Projects

East India Projects Project news from West Bengal, Assam, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa, Bihar, Sikkim and the 6 NE sister states

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 4.99 average.
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #381
Deb_S

Likes (Received): 39

Thumbs up Mizoram university to work with Kwandong university

AIZAWL, Nov 16: Mizoram University and the Kwandong University of South Korea would soon be working together, Prof R Lalthantluanga, Vice Chancellor of the Mizoram University today said.

In his welcome address to the International Conference on Advances in Environmental Chemistry held at the Mizoram University Campus, Lalthantluanga said that the mode of cooperation with the Kwandong University was being drafted and it would be the first University with which the Mizoram University would work hand in hand.

The International Conference was attended by scientists and academicians from China, Korea and Singapore and also from Universities of neighboring states including North Eastern Hill University, Shillong, Assam University, Gauhati University, Manipur University and Tezpur University.

For more read here.

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Deb_S no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #382
Deb_S

Tripura seeks help for tribals’ livelihood plans

Agartala, Nov 16: Tripura has sought Rs.440 crore from the Central government to undertake livelihood schemes for thousands of tribals who will get title deeds in the state under the Forest Rights Act, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said here on Wednesday. Sarkar, accompanied by state Finance Minister Badal Choudhury, on Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi and submitted the Rs.440 crore worth projects’ proposal.

The Prime Minister has appreciated the state government’s efforts to provide ‘patta’ (title deeds) to thousands of tribals in Tripura and promised to consider the project,” Sarkar told reporters. The Tripura government has so far distributed land deeds among 119,000 tribals under the Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (recognition of forest rights) Act, 2006. Tribals account for about 33 percent of Tripura’s 3.8 million population.

“We have told the Prime Minister that the proposed projects to undertake various livelihood schemes and economic activities once implemented in Tripura would be a model project for other states too,” the Chief Minister stated. (IANS)

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 18th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #383
Deb_S

National School of Drama opens chapter in Tripura

AGARTALA: A branch of the National School of Drama, the second of this kind in the country, was inaugurated by Tripura chief minister Manik Sarkar here on Thursday.

"Initially, we have started our camp in Sachin Devburman Memorial Music College as Tripura Camp of NSD, the second of this kind in the country. An NSD camp was first launched in Karnataka," director of NSD, Anuradha Kapoor, told reporters here. She said workshops with school students would be organized on the campus.

Sarkar, in his inaugural speech, said, "We want people to come out of their self-centred world and become real human beings. I hope this endeavour would help build socially conscious people."

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 18th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #384
Deb_S

CM dedicates fish pond to Kumaligaon farmers

TURA: Chief Minister Mukul Sangma dedicated a 20-hectare fish pond to the community of Kumaligaon under Ampati sub division as a part of the State Aquaculture Mission that aims to help rural people be self sufficient.

The project funded by the Rashtriya Sam Vikas Yojana and implemented by the department of fisheries aims at providing an alternative source of livelihood to the farmers as most of their paddy fields have submerged during floods and turned into ponds.

For more read here

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #385
Deb_S

IAF to Reactivate Airfield in Arunachal

Filed On: Nov 17, 2011 19:46 IST

Against the backdrop of Chinese military infrastructure build up along its borders, India will tomorrow activate an airfield in Vijaynagar in Arunachal Pradesh from where it will be able to operate its latest C-130J Hercules transport aircraft.

"The use of this airfield was discontinued in 2009 for carrying put repairs there. The airfield will be reactivated tomorrow by Arunachal Pradesh Governor General (retd) J J Singh," IAF officials said here.

After repairs, the airfield-- situated on the easternmost tip of the country located at the tri-junction of India, China and Myanmar, will be able to operate the C-130J Super Hercules aircraft along with the Antonov-32 cargo planes in the IAF inventory, they added.

The airfield is used for air maintenance and will help in mobilising troops and equipment at a faster pace in times of requirement.

This is the first ALG in the Northeast to be upgraded as part of India's efforts to match Chinese military infrastructure development activities. It is also upgrading ALGs in Pasighat, Mechuka, Walong, Tuting and Ziro as well as several helipads in Arunachal.

IAF has so far activated its ALGs in Ladakh including Nyoma, Daulat Beg Oldi and Fukche and is planning to convert Nyoma in to a full-fledged air base.

India is also planning to raise a new Mountain Strike Corps after raising two new mountain infantry divisions to increase man power in the Northeast.

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #386
Deb_S

Thumbs up Rs 600 crore sought for promotion of NE tourism

Staff Correspondent

SHILLONG, Nov 18: The Union Ministry of Tourism has sought Rs 600 crore to promote the tourism industry in the Northeastern region under the 12th five year plan, said the Union Minister of Tourism, Subodh Kant Sahai in Shillong on Friday.

Delivering his inaugural speech at the 2nd inter-state regional conference of tourism ministers of the east and the northeastern region at Pinewood hotel in Shillong, Sahai said that the Northeastern States are now being treated as most favoured tourist destinations by both domestic and foreign tourists.

From the questions posed by people during the London tourism global awards, it is evident that the foreign tourists are now interested in visiting the Northeastern states,” stated Sahai, even as he said that the seven sisters States should go for an aggressive campaign to promote the tourism industry that can foster its economy.

For more read here

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #387
Deb_S

Another by-pass to ease Shillong traffic woes

From a Reporter
SHILLONG, Nov 18: To ease the traffic congestion in Shillong and also in the national highway 40, the State government has prepared another by-pass from upper Shillong to Lad Umsaw, which will be soon thrown open to public use, said HDR Lyngdoh, Minister in-charge, PWD. “We have already prepared the Detailed Project Report (DPR) and also the estimate except to pay the compensation to all landowners,” said Lyngdoh. Lyngdoh further informed: “This project has been sanctioned by the Union Ministry of Road Transport at the cost of Rs 511 crore and the construction work will be done by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI).” To relieve the people of the constituency, Lyngdoh also said that many link roads would be constructed from villages like Lawmei, Kreit and others which would also be connected to the by-pass.

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #388
Deb_S

Arunachal Governor stresses tourism

PASIGHAT, Nov 18: Arunachal Pradesh Governor (Retd) Gen JJ Singh has said East Siang has huge scope for tourism and once tourism sector is developed, it would facilitate in providing livelihood to a large number of people of East Siang in particular and the state as a whole.

During a short visit to Pasighat on way to Vijayanagar in Chalang today , Singh underscored the needs for exposure tours for youth and entrepreneurs in tourism sector. He held informal discussions at the Pasighat Aerodrome on various developmental issues with the Deputy Commissioner SC Debnath and HoDs.

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #389
Deb_S

Manipur to have 2 new Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya

To be set up in Ukhrul and Senapati districts, each of the JNV will have classes from VI to XII and a capacity for 560 students in the school
Submitted on 11/16/2011 - 10:52:59 AM

New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Wednesday gave its approval for setting up of two new Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs) in districts of Ukhrul and Senapati in Manipur.

These two JNVs will be made operational after getting possession of requisite land from the Government of Manipur for temporary operation.

Each of the JNV will have classes from VI to XII and a capacity for 560 students in the school. The total estimated expenditure on these two JNVs is Rs 72 crore during 12th and 13th plan period.

Ukhrul and Senapati districts already have a JNV each but the districts cannot be covered fully due to the difficult terrain of the area and the tribal demography.

The new schools will cater to the educational requirements of the children in the uncovered areas of these districts.
—iGovernment Bureau

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #390
Deb_S

Rs 683 Cr NE Rural Livelihood Project approved

It will cover nearly 3lakh households in 1624 villages of 58 blocks falling in the north eastern States of Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura
Submitted on 11/16/2011 - 12:03:18 PM

New Delhi: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the implementation of the North East Rural Livelihood Project (NERLP) at an estimated cost of Rs 683.2 crore.

This comprises a soft loan from the World Bank of Rs 614.8 crore and central government fund of Rs 68.4 crore over a period of five years.

The Minister of Development of North Eastern Region will implement the North East Rural Livelihood Project in Aizwal and Lungei districts of Mizoram, Peren and Tuensang districts of Nagaland, South, West and 15 poorest Panchayat Wards of East district of Sikkim and West and North districts of Tripura.

The project will cover nearly three lakh households in 1624 villages of 58 blocks falling in the four States.

The objective of the project is to improve rural livelihoods especially that of women, unemployed youth and the most disadvantaged in four North Eastern States.

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM   #391
Deb_S

Thumbs up NE's largest power project to ease electricity woes

Agartala, Nov 21 (IANS): The electricity crisis in northeastern India is set to ease when the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation's (ONGC) first mega power project -- the largest in the region -- starts generating power by April next year.

"State-owned ONGC's 726-MW generating capacity first major power project in India will start producing electricity from April next year," a Tripura Power Department official told IANS.

The gas-based thermal power project will resolve the power crisis of Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Nagaland, Mizoram and Tripura states. It is being commissioned at southern Tripura's Palatana, 60 km from here.

"State-run National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) has been working to extend the power transmission line from Palatana to the national power grid at Bongaigaon in western Assam," the official said. "From the national power grid at Bongaigaon, the electricity will be disseminated in Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Nagaland and Mizoram," he said.

"Subsequently, the project will be able to generate 1,000 MW of power if additional machineries are integrated with the operational turbines," he added.

Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar Saturday reviewed the progress of the works for commissioning of the Rs 9,000-crore power plant, for which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had laid the foundation stone in 2005.

For more read here

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Last edited by Deb_S; November 21st, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:57 PM   #392
Deb_S

Homage to dead naga jawan

May God rest his Soul in peace....

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM   #393
Deb_S

Expansion of FM Radio in NE

SILCHAR, Nov 21: FM Radio which has become popular and a craze among younger generations in metropolitan and other major cities for their spicy programmes and equally smart voices is yet to make inroad in north-east substantially.

Some FM channels – Radio Ooo Laa Laa, Big FM and Gup-Shup of the region-have caught the psyche of music lovers. Considering the reach and range of FM and its commercial potentiality, the ministry of information and broadcasting has plan to expand it in north-east. According to official sources, it has approved the policy guidelines on expansion which will provide incentives to private enterprises. One of the thrust areas of the policy, as spelt out by the ministry, is to promote private broadcasters in north-east region. The policy provides for special incentives to make the operators financially viable.

The private operators, according to the guidelines, will have to pay annual fee to the government of India which will be at reduced rate compared to the other states of the country. The permission period covers 15 years. The existing operators will benefit from the policy and enable them to compete with the new entrants in the field. Apart from that, Prasar Bharati infrastructure would be made available again at reduced rates to the private operators. The operators will also get the benefit above the national limit to bid for channels in the north-east. With such incentives, it is expected that private operators will venture into the FM Radio arena and make it as popular as satellite news and music channels.

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM   #394
Deb_S

Bengal boost to northeast tourism

SHILLONG: The West Bengal tourism department will help boost tourism in the northeast by arranging package tours from Kolkata.

"We will promote package tours from Kolkata to all the northeastern states. But Meghalaya will be our top priority," said Rachhpal Singh, the tourism minister of West Bengal, who was here recently to attend the 2nd inter-state regional conference of tourism ministers of eastern and northeastern states. Stating that the new government was promoting tourism on a "war footing", Singh said the sector was the priority area.

Chief minister Mukul Sangma said a "brand image" of Meghalaya would be created on the same lines as "Incredible India". "This will be developed through an appropriate tagline, catchy slogans, signature tunes, innovative and market-focused advertisement campaigns," he added.

For more read here

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #395
Deb_S

Rio inaugurates SIRD auditorium

KOHIMA, Nov 22: Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio termed 22 November 2011 as a Red Letter Day for the State Institute of Rural Development (SIRD) during the inauguration programme of SIRD Auditorium, Rural Technology Museum, Library and Faculty building.

Gracing the occasion as the chief guest, Rio said that the main aims and objectives of SIRD was to impart trainings, conduct workshops/seminars, entertainment and collecting rural technologies, to preserve and develop our traditional techniques.

For more read here

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 24th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #396
Deb_S

Plan panel approves 25 NE road projects

Spl Correspondent
NEW DELHI, Nov 23 – As against the North Eastern Council’s (NEC) 56 road projects proposals, the Planning Commission has granted ‘in principle’ approval to only 25 projects.

In a Lok Sabha reply, Minister of State for Planning, Dr Ashwini Kumar said of the 25 approved projects, at least 15 have been sanctioned by 11th Finance Commission. In addition, Planning Commission has given approval for the ‘North Eastern Region Community Resources Management Project’ to cover Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh.

Currently, proposal for development of five airports including Guwahati, Jorhat, Imphal, Barapani and Dibrugarh is under examination for approval by the Planning Commission, the Minister added.

The NEC has been mandated to act as regional planning body for NER and the projects proposed under the NEC plan are of inter-State nature involving two or more States.

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 28th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #397
Deb_S

Three North-east States could get own High courts soon

Agartala, Nov 27: Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya could soon get their own high courts that would help in quicker disposal of cases, save litigants time and money, and fulfil a long-standing demand of these states.

All the eight North-eastern states, excluding Sikkim, come under the jurisdiction of the Gauhati High Court situated in Assam. It has benches in several northeastern states. Sikkim has a separate high court.

“All necessary infrastructure for the establishment of separate high courts is ready in three northeastern states — Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya,” a Tripura law department official said, not wishing to be identified as he was not authorised to make the announcement.

The central government needs to amend the North-eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Act, 1971, to set up separate high courts in the three states.

“The union Ministry of Law and Justice, on persuasion from the three state governments, had finalised the draft amendment of the act,” the official said on condition of anonymity.

For more read here

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #398
Deb_S

Thumbs up SBI opens Bank on Wheels in Meghalaya

Shillong, Nov. 28: The State Bank of India today launched Bank on Wheels, a campaign to reach out to people in the rural hinterland in Meghalaya who are outside of the banking network.

But the SBI is not alone in this endeavour. It has teamed up with the Meghalaya Rural Development Society (MRDS) which will motivate villagers to open bank accounts.

The Bank on Wheels is a van to be operated by SBI and MRDS officials. The officials will be moving from one village to another to help villagers not only to open accounts, but also to inculcate in them financial literacy.

“The van will cover around five villages in a week, and it is anticipated that all 39 unbaked villages in Meghalaya would be covered soon,” A. Krishna Kumar, SBI managing director, Mumbai, said, while launching the Bank on Wheels.

While stating that opening of accounts by the villagers would be hassle-free, Kumar said, “We will only be asking for a certificate from the village headman for identification of a prospective account holder.”

Kumar said at present, around 50 per cent of the country’s population is outside the banking network.

“We are striving towards inculcation of financial literacy and awareness about banking habits among the rural populace,” the SBI official said.

Kumar also said in Meghalaya, the SBI has been asked to create banking facilities in 662 unbanked villages by March next year.

Till date, he said, the bank has managed to cover 496 villages and the remaining would be covered through initiatives like the Bank on Wheels.

The SBI managing director said the bank, with the help of MRDS, would extend loans to villagers with the intention of doing away with moneylenders.

Source

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old November 29th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #399
Deb_S

India exploring new waterways with Bangladesh

State-owned RITES will conduct the survey for the new waterways between India's Tripura state and Bangladesh to facilitate movement of goods
Submitted on 11/29/2011 - 10:49:47 AM
By Sujit Chakraborty

Agartala: India will soon conduct a survey for new waterways with Bangladesh, a move that would facilitate the movement of goods between the two countries.

State-owned RITES (Rail India Technical and Economic Services) will conduct the survey for the new waterways between India's Tripura state and Bangladesh, a top official said.

The waterways would be rivers that would have navigation facilities for smooth movement of vessels.

"RITES had earlier this year conducted a preliminary feasibility study to make new waterways between Tripura's Gomti and Howrah rivers and Bangladesh's Meghna and Titas rivers," Tripura Transport Department Secretary Kishore Ambuly said.

"Now RITES would conduct an in-depth study for the purpose and submit a detailed project report (DPR) to the Tripura government," he said.

India and Bangladesh share 2,979 km of land border and 1,116 km of riverine boundary. The two neighbours share 54 rivers, including eight rivers flowing from Tripura.

For more read here

Pune Through My Eyez!!
Images of Guwahati!!
Granary Of Assam_Hojai!!

Old December 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM   #400
Superanouar

Likes (Received): 143

Hi Guys !

I'm from France but I'm very interested by all stuffs concerning north-eastern India. This thread may not be the appropriate one to ask this question but don't you think that strengthening the ties between India and Myanmar (which is currently seeking for new political partners) would be a great opportunity to open up the north-eastern Indian states ?

Last edited by Superanouar; December 1st, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Superanouar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: