daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.95 average.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1001
smile1234

Likes (Received): 0

Rainbow on top of Kathipara Flyover

This is one of the lovely view of Kathipara Flyover .......

image hosted on flickr

This is 1001th post on this thread ..... growing more faster....

Last edited by smile1234; February 14th, 2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Wrong topic
smile1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #1002
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 3

New overbridge in Perambur soon

CHENNAI: A new bridge to replace the dilapidated Perambur Loco Works road overbridge would be built at a cost of Rs.8 crore.

The bridge is a vital link between areas in north Chennai and Ayanavaram and used by hundreds of vehicles every day.

On the request of the residents in 2006, funds towards construction of the new Perambur Loco Works road overbridge were allotted from the Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS). In addition to the Rs.4 crore from the MPLADS, the Chennai Corporation provided an additional Rs.1.3 crore for the construction of the bridge.

On account of a delay in inviting bids for the project, the requirement of funds for construction of the bridge had increased to Rs.8 crore now, Member of Parliament Dayanidhi Maran said. He was participating in a programme organised on Saturday by the Chennai Corporation to launch work to renovate the existing road overbridge. The renovation work of the facility would be completed at a cost of Rs.7 lakh.

He said he would contribute from the MPLADS the additional funds required by the Corporation for the construction of the new bridge. The work on the new Perambur Loco Works road overbridge would begin shortly, a press release from the Corporation said.

The release said that work on the Perambur flyover had begun and the project was expected to be completed by December. Mayor M.Subramanian and Chennai Corporation Commissioner Rajesh Lakhoni participated in the programme.

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/15/stor...1559000300.htm
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1003
gandharva95

Likes (Received): 5

Padi flyover to be opened tomorrow

Last edited by gandharva95; February 20th, 2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: available in English
gandharva95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1004
catick

Likes (Received): 6

Padi grade separator

Padi grade separator to be inaugurated today

Staff Reporter

— Photo: S.Thanthoni

HOPE ON THE HORIZON: The daily ordeal for motorists at the Padi junction may come to an end with the commissioning of the grade separator.
CHENNAI: Traffic pile-up at the Padi junction, which is a problem for hundreds of motorists any time of the day, may well be a thing of the past with the Padi grade separator being thrown open on Saturday. The facility will be inaugurated on Friday evening.
Hectic activity was noticed on Thursday with several labourers giving finishing touches to the grade separator. Work on the project began in 2005.
Officials of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) said the Rs.130-crore project has six ramps and an elevated rotary.
Several motorists, particularly from Red Hills and Ambattur, hope that their daily ordeal at the junction would end with the commissioning of the grade separator. Apart from reducing their travel time, the facility would also improve road safety in the area.
Traffic density at the junction, also used by hundreds of heavy vehicles every day, is estimated at two lakh passenger car units daily.
A senior official of the NHAI said that volunteers would be deployed for guiding motorists until they got familiar with traffic modifications at the Padi junction. Signboards would also be installed.
All vehicles crossing the junction would use the elevated rotary except those proceeding from Anna Nagar to Red Hills. This would ensure free flow of traffic on Inner Ring Road between Anna Nagar and Red Hills, the official said. High-mast lights had been installed in more than a dozen places on Inner Ring Road, he added.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/20/stor...2058010100.htm
catick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #1005
Indian Sun

Likes (Received): 321

1) Is Padi flyover complete enough to be inaugurated?

2) I want a larger version of that Kathipara Interchange inset pic.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1006
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 3146

Padi Flyover getting inaugurated today:

Malaimalar

As usual debris still not cleared, no lights, no sign boards

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1007
dis.agree

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post
Padi Flyover getting inaugurated today:

Malaimalar

As usual debris still not cleared, no lights, no sign boards
the road above (flyover) is in a better shape than the road below where all the traffic flows. so, why wait longer for the lights & other cosmetics before this road is thrown open for traffic?

i thought they could have allowed irr traffic temporarily over the flyover and completed those arms about a year earlier. that part of work was not complex and they had the necessary land. it was the arm from/to villivakkam over the rail track that took most time (as usual it is indian railways that is culprit, i suppose). this would have considerably eased the traffic at this junction much earlier and once completed and they could have changed the traffic flow as per the plan.
dis.agree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #1008
Sathisht77

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis.agree View Post
the road above (flyover) is in a better shape than the road below where all the traffic flows. so, why wait longer for the lights & other cosmetics before this road is thrown open for traffic?
All to do with election announcement..once the announcement is done, none of this can be done by the govt. so is the hurry
Sathisht77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1009
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 3

Can vehicles negotiate the curve in the flyover easily? Like one of our forumers pointed out earlier (Mr. Krishnan CV, I believe), the "central well" appears quite larger. Is the parapet wall along the inner curve tall (and strong, of course) enough? Or, have they restricted the speed of vehicles?

Anyway, good to see another flyover functioning in Chennai.
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1010
rajeshas

I can only pray that no mishap happens due to inadequate directions signs/lane marking, like the one happened on the kathipara.
rajeshas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #1011
Fusionist
unBANNED

Likes (Received): 11

too many flaws with this, I don't know where to start. The whole think tank behind this need to be sacked
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1012
madhan

Likes (Received): 82

The bridge appears really good. But my question would be why to have six ramps and rotary at one level up? Cant they have had the Rotary at the ground level and one normal elevated flyover structure(with 3 lanes on each side)? Couldnt it have cut the costs much? This is just my opinion, i am not a civil engineer and i might be wrong..
madhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1013
scdubagoor
MAA/BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhan View Post
The bridge appears really good. But my question would be why to have six ramps and rotary at one level up? Cant they have had the Rotary at the ground level and one normal elevated flyover structure(with 3 lanes on each side)? Couldnt it have cut the costs much? This is just my opinion, i am not a civil engineer and i might be wrong..
I think this was done without disturbing the main carriage way. It really looks like it's going to be a nightmare for people who wish to go straight.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM   #1014
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhan View Post
Actually, Its planned with a long foresight..
Kathipara, Padi, Madhuravoyal, Koyambedu Grade separators are the main part of the connection to the Elevated Expressways and BRTS Corridors that are on the anvil with the IRR and other existing roads!!

These are really awesome and ambitious projects!! Kudos to them.. We wont see the real use of these grade separators now, but only when the Expressways and BRTS corridors come up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasnaboy View Post
Can vehicles negotiate the curve in the flyover easily? Like one of our forumers pointed out earlier (Mr. Krishnan CV, I believe), the "central well" appears quite larger. Is the parapet wall along the inner curve tall (and strong, of course) enough? Or, have they restricted the speed of vehicles?

Anyway, good to see another flyover functioning in Chennai.
The "Central Well" is designed quite larger with a foresight to accomodate any future Pillars (Elevated Expressway, Metro, BRTS) to be put in!!
Kewl Batty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM   #1015
Arul Murugan

From TOI

CM opens Padi flyover from hospital bed

The 125-Crore Grade Separator Will Help Ease Congestion At Padi Junction
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Chennai: Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Friday declared open the newly-constructed flyover at Padi junction, from his hospital bed through video conferencing.

The Chief minister is currently recuperating at Sri Ramachandra Hospital in Porur where he recently underwent spinal surgery.

The two-way flyover with approaches from Anna Nagar, Padi, Red Hills and Villivakkam sides will allow vehicles to cross the junction, where they used to be held up for an average of 30 minutes during peak hours, without congestion.

It would also eliminate delays due to signalised intersection, save travel time and decrease fuel consumption and vehicle operating costs.

Karunanidhi said the new flyover was constructed at a total cost of Rs 125 crore in four years. Appreciating the Union road transport and shipping minister T R Baalu for effective completion of the project, he said his party would continue to work for the welfare of the people.

In his address, T R Baalu said construction of the flyover work was taken up in February 2005 by the National Highways Authority of India. It took Rs 61.31 crore for civil work, Rs 52.81 crore towards land acquisition and Rs 10.58 crore for shifting of utilities.

Stating that the central government had allotted 15.28% of the total allocation of the 11th five-year plan for development of roads, he said the government was taking several steps to reduce road accidents.

The country witnessed 4.6 lakh accidents in 2006 in which 1.06 lakh persons were killed and over 5 lakh people were injured.

Stating that India saw one accident every minute and one death due to accident in every five minutes, the minister noted that it is the responsibility of all the citizens to minimise accidents.

State finance minister K Anbazhagan and electricity minister Arcot N Veeraswamy also spoke on the occasion.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM   #1016
Arul Murugan

The flow path:

Upwards - towards Padi
Left - Anna Nagar
Downwards-Villivakkam
Right - Red Hills

Dinakaran

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:14 AM   #1017
dis.agree

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist View Post
too many flaws with this, I don't know where to start. The whole think tank behind this need to be sacked
care to elaborate? there is a precedent to this flyover at chrompet which however is a 3 road junction. pallavaram would be similar to padi juction and i believe 3-5 more flyovers with similar designs (elevated rotary) would be built from tambaram and other southern suburbs along the suburban rail line. so, it still would be worthwhile to discuss.

this padi flyover cost 125 crore in total, with civil works about 60 crores. kathipara i just found from some sources cost 260 crore with construction cost about rs. 100 crores. i don't belive padi junction requires a clover leaf kind of flyover. even if we did build such a clover leaf or a design that avoids criss-crossing at a much higher cost, it will not solve it because two free lefts should be elevated over the rail line (irr south - villivakkam and villivakkam - ir south).

so, possibly a total cost of rs. 300 crore if we attempted to make this junction a signal free one.
dis.agree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:46 AM   #1018
Indian Sun

Likes (Received): 321

I hope the lower area is maintained well...In chromepet the area below the flyover is full of dust,illegal shops and film posters....I hate film posters on flyover columns..
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM   #1019
Kewl Batty
When it rains, it pours!

Likes (Received): 13

They're juzz completing the flyover.. give them time to clear the debris!!
Even kathipara was like this... now its almost free of debris and they're starting with beautification!
Kewl Batty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1020
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 7150

It looks like they have shifted the chaostic traffic from ground level to a higher level.

Multi level grade separator like Kathipara looks like a better design compared to this.
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: