daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.99 average.
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #1
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Likes (Received): 23

Mumbai Monorail project

this is a new thread to discuss the progress of the mumbai monorail project.

the first line is from chembur to jacob circle via wadala. the route is ~20kms with 18 stations. the total travel time is expected to be ~44 minutes , i.e. average speed is ~31 kph.

Route Map:

it is being built by a consortium consisting of scomi and l&t. louis berger group is the project manager.

this is an image of the rolling stock:

more info including construction updates at mmrda's website http://www.mmrdamumbai.org/monorail.htm

Last edited by IU; June 17th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
jubin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #2
saurabh85

Likes (Received): 140

i don't understand the need for a thread on the monorail system when there has hardly been any progress even on the metro!
saurabh85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #3
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolkatausa View Post
A monorail in Mumbai? Is that even feasible? I thought the reason they were building a highway on the ocean is because there was no land left in the city.
monorail would typically go over existing roads and ostensibly have less impact than a metro.
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #4
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh85 View Post
i don't understand the need for a thread on the monorail system when there has hardly been any progress even on the metro!
true that. however these two infrastructure projects can progress (or not) at the same time.

in fact the impetus for this thread is that the mmrda is considering the monorail. it has already had expressions of interest for various parties and it has short listed 3 consortia.

the mumbai metro forum was not deemed to be the right space to talk about the monorail. hence this thread.
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #5
Silicon_Valley
Fade to Black!

Likes (Received): 0

Mumbai has both monorail and metro planned? Has the project been given a final go-ahead yet?
Silicon_Valley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #6
qwertyasd
India Waiting

Likes (Received): 1

By May end, the consortium should be decided. And September the construction should start. Keeping fingers crossed!
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #7
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon_Valley View Post
Mumbai has both monorail and metro planned? Has the project been given a final go-ahead yet?
yes it does.

http://mmrdamumbai.org/monorail.htm

these are the 3 short listed firms.

Bombardier
Hitachi
Scomi
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Cov Boy
Cov Boy

Likes (Received): 37

I dont see the point of Monorail if you have Metro as well unless they complement each other but still dont see the point.

The MMRDA could spend this money on better things.
Cov Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #9
mhp

Mumbai monorail project takes off

Quote:
Nodal agency Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority is hopeful of finalising the developer for the Mumbai monorail project by June this year. Speaking to Projectmonitor, a senior MMRDA official said that three consortia had been further shortlisted from seven that were pre-qualified in January this year. Those in the final race include consortia led by Bombardier Transportation, Reliance Energy (Anil Ambani Group) and Larsen & Toubro Ltd. The developer will be finalised by June and construction activity is likely to start in September this year, after the monsoon. The Mumbai monorail project that will be start off as a 25-km pilot project connecting Wadala and Mahalakshmi in central Mumbai.
The developer will design and build the project and also undertake operations and maintenance. The contract will be for three years including construction time. "The project is targeted for completion by end 2009 or early 2010," the official said. Most of the land acquisition, particularly at Wadala where a depot is envisaged, has been completed. MMRDA does not foresee major resettlement and rehabilitation issues, the official added. MMRDA will finance the project that is expected to cost Rs 75 crore per km. "The cost would be less than half of an elevated metro rail project," the official noted. Meanwhile, the nodal agency has also initiated the process of appointing project management consultants who will assist and advise MMRDA on all aspects of the projects. The bidding process closes on May 16.
Phase-I of the Mumbai monorail envisages a 70-km network with four corridors. Apart from the 25-km Wadala-Mahalakshmi stretch, there would be two independent 10-km lines connecting Wadala to Chembur and Bandra-Kurla Complex respectively. The fourth is the 25-km corridor between Thane, Kalyan and Bhiwandi. The monorail aims to connect areas that are not covered by the upcoming Mumbai metro rail project. Plying at speeds of less than 20 km per hour, a monorail bus will ferry 10,000 passengers per hour in peak direction.
Apart from those shortlisted now, four consortia that were pre-qualified in January this year were those including Reliance Industries, Essar, IL&FS Transportation Networks and Pioneer Infratech.

Quote:
What is monorail?

A monorail, simply put, is an elevated electric bus that runs on a single beam. The beam that serves as the track is known as "rail" and since there is only one of it, the term "monorail" is used. A monorail therefore refers to the track that supports the transport system or the transport system itself. The vehicle (or the electric bus) runs on the track can be a wheeled-vehicle or a magnetically levitating (maglev) vehicle. In a wheeled-vehicle monorail system, the vehicle is supported by multiple wheels that grip the track from all sides. The word "rail" in "monorail" is a misnomer. A monorail system has nothing to do with the conventional railway system.
A monorail system is faster and cheaper to construct than conventional railways (at-grade or elevated) and is used in congested areas having limited land availability. The monorail is more efficient at negotiating curves and gradients than conventional railways or light transport systems (e.g. trams). The ability of the monorail to handle curves varies inversely with the length of the vehicle.
Typically, a four-coach monorail can carry around 1,000 passengers. The monorail system has a simplistic structure with (elevated) piers at regular intervals that support the (horizontal) beams. Electric power for traction is drawn from the beam with no overhead cabling involved.
Monorail is really a "light transport system". I am not sure why this is planned for a congested city like Mumbai. South Mumbai needs high-capacity underground metro.
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
qwertyasd
India Waiting

I think the north-south corridor needs MULTIPLE lines of metro rail running on parallel streets. Monorail will mostly be only for lower-volume east-west connectivity. Especially since there are very few really wide east-west roads. (SCLR and JVLR when completed will be the exceptions). Andheri-Ghatkopar is anyway getting a metro line. Monorail will mostly act as feeder to metro rail i guess, so hopefully it should not be a problem.

I would totally oppose replacing the north-south lines with monorail though! We need atleast 4 parallel lines of the north-south metro rail (not including the two suburban train lines). How long does these politicians expect people to travel on these crazily crowded trains!
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #11
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhp View Post
Mumbai monorail project takes off

Monorail is really a "light transport system". I am not sure why this is planned for a congested city like Mumbai. South Mumbai needs high-capacity underground metro.
i believe that light refers to the 'weight' of the rolling stock. it does not necessarily refer to its capacity. some experts believe that a monorail is better suited for dense urban cores as it requires less 'space' and has smaller turn radii. monorail stations can be integrated into existing street architecture as well.

i am not a proponent of monorail over metro by any means, but i did want to make that distinction.

if i had my druthers we would have an underground metro throughout. i do not believe that the costs are prohibitive when 'resettlement' is factored in. this will also allow us to go through the heritage precints etc.

just throwing it out there.
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #12
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasd View Post
I think the north-south corridor needs MULTIPLE lines of metro rail running on parallel streets. Monorail will mostly be only for lower-volume east-west connectivity. Especially since there are very few really wide east-west roads. (SCLR and JVLR when completed will be the exceptions). Andheri-Ghatkopar is anyway getting a metro line. Monorail will mostly act as feeder to metro rail i guess, so hopefully it should not be a problem.

I would totally oppose replacing the north-south lines with monorail though! We need atleast 4 parallel lines of the north-south metro rail (not including the two suburban train lines). How long does these politicians expect people to travel on these crazily crowded trains!
fwiw, one of the monorail lines is for the chembur/govandi/mahul loop. the other is for malabar hill/wadala/bkc.

there is tremendous demand already for east west traffic. and it will grow further given the rise of commercial property in andheri/powai/bkc. for rail transport there are just two transfer points wadala and dadar to go from central to western railway. i believe there is enough traffic to justify multiple metro lines going east west.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #13
qwertyasd
India Waiting

Well, you could also have BRTS on the east-west corridors, especially if the roads are wide like the planned link roads. That will require lesser investment. But NORTH-SOUTH metros are a priority! Look at the overcrowded trains on these sections!
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #14
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasd View Post
Well, you could also have BRTS on the east-west corridors, especially if the roads are wide like the planned link roads. That will require lesser investment. But NORTH-SOUTH metros are a priority! Look at the overcrowded trains on these sections!
i am with you. i don't know how useful a versova/ghatkopar metro will be, now that it does not go to the airport at all. however, network effects of other metro lines will make it more compelling.

of course we need metros going everywhere. the london network is 400km, new york is 369km, so we have a ways to go.

finally, i request that we move this over to the metro thread and keep this only for monorail.
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #15
Cov Boy
Cov Boy

Quote:
The developer will be finalised by June and construction activity is likely to start in September this year, after the monsoon.
They said the same thing about Metro starting construction but nothing happened!

I bet nothing will happen after monsoon

At its funny that all construction is after monsoon
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #16
mhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cov Boy View Post
They said the same thing about Metro starting construction but nothing happened!

I bet nothing will happen after monsoon

At its funny that all construction is after monsoon

yup, you are right.. and the tragedy is that I dont think it would surprise anyone on this forum.
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #17
mhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
i believe that light refers to the 'weight' of the rolling stock. it does not necessarily refer to its capacity. some experts believe that a monorail is better suited for dense urban cores as it requires less 'space' and has smaller turn radii. monorail stations can be integrated into existing street architecture as well.

i am not a proponent of monorail over metro by any means, but i did want to make that distinction.

if i had my druthers we would have an underground metro throughout. i do not believe that the costs are prohibitive when 'resettlement' is factored in. this will also allow us to go through the heritage precints etc.

just throwing it out there.
No light means light in terms of overall capacity of the line. A monorail is generally a 4-rake vehicle (hence the tighter turning radius). Capacity of the "train" itself is not the issue.

1. The fact is that it is a mono-rail. It means there will be only one track unlike a proper metro which has 2 tracks
2. Also the speed of a light transit system is pretty relaxed (I have been in 2 of these light transit systems, though they were not monorails). Mumbai locals would seem like bullet trains compared to such a system
3. Light transit trains are generally not extensible. i.e. when you expect more traffic you simply cannot add more coaches or EMUs at the back or front.

As you can see there are several limitations of a light transit system. Plus the way Mumbai has changed in terms of demographics means that East-west travel is as, if not more, important than North South. I have repeated this before but Nariman Point is not longer the center of gravity of Mumbai. Its is moving north and it is no longer concentrated (BKC, SEEPZ, Ghatkopar-Vikhroli).
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #18
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhp View Post
No light means light in terms of overall capacity of the line. A monorail is generally a 4-rake vehicle (hence the tighter turning radius). Capacity of the "train" itself is not the issue.

1. The fact is that it is a mono-rail. It means there will be only one track unlike a proper metro which has 2 tracks
2. Also the speed of a light transit system is pretty relaxed (I have been in 2 of these light transit systems, though they were not monorails). Mumbai locals would seem like bullet trains compared to such a system
3. Light transit trains are generally not extensible. i.e. when you expect more traffic you simply cannot add more coaches or EMUs at the back or front.

As you can see there are several limitations of a light transit system. Plus the way Mumbai has changed in terms of demographics means that East-west travel is as, if not more, important than North South. I have repeated this before but Nariman Point is not longer the center of gravity of Mumbai. Its is moving north and it is no longer concentrated (BKC, SEEPZ, Ghatkopar-Vikhroli).
hmm.

scomi reports a full load of 7 passengers / metre2. hitachi goes further at 10 passengers / metre2 at crush loads. which translates to ~ 1000 passengers on a 4 train set configuration.

http://www.hitachi-rail.com/products...ger/index.html

the axle loads for the largest car is 11metric tons. and for standard it is 10 metric tons. the light does refer to weight and not passenger capacity.

the turn radius is due to the fact that it is a 'monorail', i.e. the car straddles just one rail as opposed to say bombay's local train or a subway train that has flange wheels that sit on two rails. the turn radius has nothing to do with the number of bogies in a train. a nine car bombay local and a 18 car rajdhani or a 50+ car goods train have the same turn radius as they have the same guage. scomi reports a min turn radius of 50m and hitachi 70m.

a monorail does not mean just one track. there are systems with dual tracks for simultaneous up/down service.

both scomi and hitachi report a top speed of 80 km/h. tokyo monorail runs @ the same speed. though accounting for stop the average is 45km/h. given that nariman point to the airport is 18km that is 20 minutes. speed is dependent on propulsion. a maglev is also 'technically' a monorail, granted that is not what we are talking about here.

extendibility is also a problem with other systems as well. beyond the extra locomotive power we would need other things like longer stations.

it bears repeating that i am in favour of a metro over a monorail for bombay. the upper bounds for capacity are greater for a metro and god knows that there is demand. plus the ability to have it be subterranean does solve a lot of land acquisition issues.

i just wanted us to be clear in our definitions of what a monorail can and can't do. i am definitely no expert and do welcome any clarifications.
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #19
Cov Boy
Cov Boy

Scrap monorail and concentrate on the metro I say.

I cant understand the delay and dragging of feet with the metro.

The MMRDA can use the money to improve the buses in Mumbai and the roads.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:12 AM   #20
sammyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
the axle loads for the largest car is 11metric tons. and for standard it is 10 metric tons. the light does refer to weight and not passenger capacity.

the turn radius is due to the fact that it is a 'monorail', i.e. the car straddles just one rail as opposed to say bombay's local train or a subway train that has flange wheels that sit on two rails. the turn radius has nothing to do with the number of bogies in a train. a nine car bombay local and a 18 car rajdhani or a 50+ car goods train have the same turn radius as they have the same guage. scomi reports a min turn radius of 50m and hitachi 70m.

a monorail does not mean just one track. there are systems with dual tracks for simultaneous up/down service.
Light rail definitely refers to capacity and not the weight of the car. There are even light rail cars out there that are heavier than standard cars.

You and mhp are describing the monorail the same way, a train straddling ONE track. mhp wasn't saying that there can only be one line.
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: