daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 113 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1
GJ10

Likes (Received): 662

Ahmedabad Metro | MetroLink Express Gandhinagar-Ahmedabad (MEGA) | Updates

Official Website

MetroLink Express Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar (MEGA) is the long awaited metro-rail service for both the Political and Financial Capitals of Gujarat.

PHASE 1 ROUTES

North-South = 17.23 km from APMC to Motera Stadium | Completely Elevated

East-West = 20.54 km from Thaltej Gam to Vastral Gam | 6.5 kms Underground stretch from Shahpur to Kankariya East under the walled city; rest Elevated

Total Phase 1 = 37.776 km

Metro map from the official website - Click to view large

STATIONS

N-S Line (15 Elevated):

APMC - Jivraj Park - Shreyas - Paldi - New Gandhigram - Old High Court (Interchange) - Usmanpura - Vijay Nagar - Vadaj - Ranip - Sabarmati Railway Station - AEC - Sabarmati - Motera Stadium

E-W Line (8 Elevated + 4 Underground + 6 Elevated):

Thaltej Gaam - Thaltej - Doordarshan Kendra - Gurukul - Gujarat University - Commerce Six Roads - Stadium - Old High Court (Interchange) - Ashram Road ~Sabarmati River~ Shahpur - Gheekanta - Kalupur Railway Station - Kankariya East - Apparel Park - Amraiwadi - Rabari Colony - Vastral - Nirant Crossroads - Vastral Gaam

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For detailed and exact location of these stations and depots follow the links:

Overall Satellite view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi.rushabh1992 View Post
The phasing of the reaches is still unclear. Different news reports are misleading. As I understand it the phasing should be as follows:

1st: Vastral - Apparel Park (6.2 kms) (no doubt about it as civil construction tenders already floated; work expected to start in this month)

2nd: Motera - Ranip (6.5 kms) (After the Reach 1 this stretch is the easiest to develop given that there is ample road width even with the BRTS already functioning throughout the route; as per above news report work is expected to begin by July which means the civil construction tender should be out soon)

3rd: Thaltej Gam - Shahpur (8.2 kms) (This depends on how soon they are able to demolish the shops in Thaltej...out of all 5 reaches, this one has the highest traffic)

4th: Ranip - APMC (12.9 kms) (Depends on how quickly the Railways give all the necessary clearances and permissions. Indian Railways is notorious for delaying permissions)

5th and last: Shahpur - Apparel Park U/G stretch (6.7 kms) (The underground stretch is a huge task since it passes below the severely congested walled city and I cannot think they will start working on this before the elevated stretches. Cant see work begin on this before 2016)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Representing all the corridors in a map:

Gyaspur Depot - Link & Plan

Apparel Depot - Not yet disclosed

Motera Depot - Not yet disclosed

Stations: From post #1760 on page 88 to #1775 on page 89.

Schedules and Updates:

Tender for Construction of Elevated Viaduct from Apparel Park to Vastral Gaam released - Link

Tender for Detailed Design Consultancy for 13 Stations of E-W Line released - Link

Inauguration of Metro by the PM in second week of Jan 2015 - Link

Please use this thread for any further articles, updates or views on this project.

Cheers

Last edited by gandhi.rushabh1992; February 14th, 2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Revisions and Updates
GJ10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Likes (Received): 23

Hey that's great news.
We'll finally have our own metro.

Quote:
Phase I of the project, as recommended by DMRC will be completely elevated

It'll look as ugly as Delhi Metro from the streets?

And they'll ruin the newly modernised Ashram Road. It'll Make the city look Verry ugly.

And I can't think how are they going to manage the section from Stadium Cross to Commerce College Cross "overground".

And If we think of a future extension on the Eastern side of the Station, how will they manage that??

I think It's the second biggest mistake after BRTS.

Quote:
Potential for expansion towards Dholera (SIR) in phase II

First cater the city's needs yaar. Dholera is light years away.

P.S.
BRTS Sucks
viedumonde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

And I suppose you don't need to buy land for Underground Networks.

And we also don't have a perennial river.

So why don't we think in that direction.
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #4
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Now that this thread has started..... I'd rather show it here

This is not the official map released by the authorities.

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #5
GJ10

Viedumonde, im really glad to see a forum member from Ahmedabad... its about time!

Great to see how enthusiastic you are about this project, only point id make would be that the decision to build elevated rather than underground is clearly a compromise where cost and time have taken precedence over aesthetics, for a city as large and populous as Ahmedabad, in urgent need of such a system, id have to say its a good call.

I hope im not offending anyone when I say that aesthetically, Ahmedabad wasnt exactly going to win any beauty contests, its not like building an elevated corridor down the Champs Elysees!

I do agree with you with regards to BRTS however, I think its got no place in cities as large or as crowded as Ahmedabad, Id love to be proved wrong though!
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #6
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Quote:
aesthetically, Ahmedabad wasnt exactly going to win any beauty contests
Ya you're right.

But the authorities have recently converted Ashram "Dirt track" to Ashram "Road", with foot paths and Parking lots(which are very rare in Ahmedabad)

and now with this construction, they're going to ruin it again.

This is the main artery of Ahmedabad. Closing down one side of it will be like a nightmare.
And there are many very important buildings on this road, Atleast the section from Juhapura to Motera should be underground. And as they don't have to go under the river, it won't be a very deep tunnel.

And there is no space for an overhead interchange station at Income Tax.

Last edited by viedumonde; June 8th, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #7
bains1971
ताज़ा समाचार

Likes (Received): 5

Thumbs up

Great news well dome Ah.
The dates for the Games are 3 - 14 October 2010, inclusive of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Weather wise the city experiences an October mean temperature of a minimum 17.2 degrees centigrade and maximum 31.3 degrees centigrade with humidity ranging from 31 to 78% for the October and November months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bains1971 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #8
GJ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by viedumonde View Post
Ya you're right.

But the authorities have recently converted Ashram "Dirt track" to Ashram "Road", with foot paths and Parking lots(which are very rare in Ahmedabad)

and now with this construction, they're going to ruin it again.

This is the main artery of Ahmedabad. Closing down one side of it will be like a nightmare.
And there are many very important buildings on this road, Atleast the section from Juhapura to Motera should be underground. And as they don't have to go under the river, it won't be a very deep tunnel.

And there is no space for an overhead interchange station at Income Tax.
It could also be argued that having a city the size of Ahmedabad without a metro rail system is a much bigger nightmare than disrupting Ashram Rd

In an ideal world, yes, everything would be underground, but there compromises that have to be made in order to provide the services that the city really needs.

I wasnt making a throw-away comment about Ahmedabad not being Paris, what I meant by it was that Ashram Road however modern it may seem by local standards, in global terms is really nothing worth crying over.

The Ahmedabad region has the potential to have a massive future, not just in India, but also globally, thats why we should be focussed on getting the essential infrastructure in place and sorting out all the minor points at the end, if you look at the bigger picture, Ashram Road is not actually all that important.

Especially when, as far as I know, there are meant to be new roads being built as part of the Sabarmati Riverfront Redevelopment, which Im sure will take over in importance from Ashram Road even if no elevated metro was being built along it anyway.
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #9
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

I'm just a bit carried away thinking about the cityscape.

But I think It's better to have a Rapid transit system, if at all.

Do you think they'll replace the BRTS too and accumulate that into Metro in Phases. Or they will just not accept even if anything is wrong with it..

I realized that these people have copied the lines from me.

The red line between Thaltej Cross and Kalupur has exactly 11 stations.
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #10
GJ10

If done well, an elevated track doesnt have to look bad, Ive seen one that I actually thought looked quite cool in Bangkok.

Assuming that the system gets the ridership that it ought to, I have a feeling that in phase II, the most essential route would be pretty close to your lime green line, although Id imagine that Sanand and an Airport loop would be included. But in general, I would not be surprised if the bulk of development was focussed on the West and North of the City.

And tbh, as far as BRTS is concerned, I just think its one big, eco-friendly, publicity stunt that they wont get rid of until its made a loss for at least 10yrs running...
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #11
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

But here, we expect work according to the standards of Delhi or Bangalore, which is troll.
The route of the green line is actually very busy, especially on the Nehrunagar-bopal and Kalupur - Naroda sections, and not to forget, the relief road.
But this line has to get underground between Nehrunagar and Asarwa.

The problem with East and South is, there are very few main roads per se, and all the roads are used almost equally.
But for success, the metro should reach Maninagar and vatva GIDC, it would double the Ridership.

I seriously hope BRTS runs with loss. I don't mind waiting 10 more years for more lines.

BTW, do you think they will make a parallel Regional rail as proposed before?
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #12
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Hey GJ10

Can you please change the name of the thread to Ahmedabad instead of Amd.

Ahmedabad is a lot cooler.
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #13
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Quote:
Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar Metro project: Is there light at the end of Metro tunnel?

AHMEDABAD: Four years after Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) submitted its feasibility report on Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar metro in June 2005,
there seems to be a renewed buzz in the state urban development ministry. But, if one goes by the DMRC report, a cost of Rs 40 lakh for each day delayed was calculated for the project. However, an interesting fact is that the project was to be completed by March 31, 2010.

The report had recommended Gujarat Industrial development Board (GIDB) to initiate the project in the financial year 2005-06. For this, the construction cost for the Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar link for 2005 was estimated to be Rs 4,295 crore. And, the cost escalation because of the delay in implementation of project since June 2005, was estimated at an additional Rs 584 crore excluding the project land cost.

Not only this, DMRC report also suggested that there was a huge potential of a few growth centres like townships between Motera-Koba circle and Indroda circle, which comes under both Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar urban development authorities.

The return expected out of the realty business on this stretch was calculated to almost Rs 1,500 crore over a period of 10 to 15 years. In fact, DMRC had proposed a hike in the value of floor space index (FSI) from the present 1.8 to 2.7, along the corridor. The area to be developed, is within the 3 km radius of the corridor. However, this could not be carried out as most of the plots alongside the corridor were either sold or were utilised for other purposes.

The land required in the project was estimated to be about 69.89 hectares out of which 60.24 hectares belonged to the state government, public sector and municipal corporation, while only 9.65 hectares is supposed to be private land.

For part funding of the project, DMRC had recommended an increased FSI within 1 km radius along the metro corridor which would be sold to the developer. The report also recommended the charging a "betterment fee" for development along the corridor.

"In fact, a proposal is being made to increase the FSI along BRTS and metro corridor, making the stretch more attractive. Many companies will open their offices here along with townships. We call this transit oriented development and this would fuel the metro providing passengers living and moving for work along the corridor," says a senior GIDB officer.
Courtesy TOI
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #14
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

Quote:
Chug along for just Rs 8

AHMEDABAD: How much will you have to pay for a metro ticket? Feasibility report made by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) in June 2005
estimated that ticket will cost anywhere between Rs 8 for a maximum of two km and Rs 25 for a maximum of 45 km by the time the project would be implemented in March 2010.

The fare structure for Ahmedabad metro was based on the fare model of Delhi Metro. The feasibility report, however, had taken the average trip rates of commuters of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar for calculating fares for specific distances.

The study had indicated that the project at the initial stage would see 6.75 lakh trips a day and escalate by around 3.8 per cent by 2035. The maximum commuters would be those travelling for distances around four to six km, which would form 25 per cent of the total trips, followed closely by those who would travel in the six to nine km range and constitute 24.25 per cent of the total trips.

DMRC had estimated other revenue sources to meet a majority of the operation and maintenance cost of the project. Apart from a viability gap fund of Rs 1,500 crore, revenues for the project were to be generated through property development and advertisements. These were to constitute 10 per cent of the fare box revenue collected at 42 stations of the metro.

Other sources of revenue were identified as leasing of parking rights at stations, advertisements on trains, tickets, parking lots, viaducts of metro rail, columns of metro station building and so on. Another revenue-generating activity suggested by DMRC was offering co-branding rights to corporates, film shootings and special events on metro premises.

"Most of the revenue-generating activities suggested were to help keep the ticket costs low. It is true that ticket costs are independent of operation and maintenance costs. But if one manages to create alternative source of income, it can cover most of the operation costs of the project," said a senior Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board (GIDB) official.
It's too expensive for short distance travellers.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #15
kronik

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by viedumonde View Post
Now that this thread has started..... I'd rather show it here

This is not the official map released by the authorities.

that is one super-regional system, running all the way down to Bhavnagar and Baroda!
so the system runs close to 900 km.

Sorry, i am not able to figure out - this whole thing is a metro system right?

Last edited by kronik; June 11th, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #16
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

@ Kronik

Ya it is a super-regional system, but the whole system is not metro system.

It is based partly on the Paris model of a Metro and a parallel RER (suburban railway).
So all the lines in the Ahmedabad city region are metro, from which I still have to separate the overground and underground lines.

At the termination of Metro lines (with the black box symbol), the Suburban lines emerge which reach out to the suburban towns.
And most of the Black lines are routes on Indian Railway's tracks, but some portions are added to enhance the system.

And yes, if you don't count the Black lines, the system is of 900 km.
This is unlikely to happen in the next 100 years atleast.

But the government has planned to follow the red and Blue lines.
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 4516

Nice,

But if the thread is renamed it will be useful for google searchers.

Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar full name inclusion will show SSC in first page of google if some one search for metro updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #18
viedumonde
Shaan-e-Hind

How can we do that?
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #19
GJ10

I will send a message to a mod to change the title.

Also, I think its important to reiterate that viedumonde's map is his own creation and nothing to do with the official MEGA system.

Last edited by GJ10; June 11th, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #20
GJ10

Metro Project: Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Quote:
Four years after Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) submitted its feasibility report on Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar metro in June 2005,
there seems to be a renewed buzz in the state urban development ministry. But, if one goes by the DMRC report, a cost of Rs 40 lakh for each day delayed was calculated for the project. However, an interesting fact is that the project was to be completed by March 31, 2010.

The report had recommended Gujarat Industrial development Board (GIDB) to initiate the project in the financial year 2005-06. For this, the construction cost for the Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar link for 2005 was estimated to be Rs 4,295 crore. And, the cost escalation because of the delay in implementation of project since June 2005, was estimated at an additional Rs 584 crore excluding the project land cost.

Not only this, DMRC report also suggested that there was a huge potential of a few growth centres like townships between Motera-Koba circle and Indroda circle, which comes under both Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar urban development authorities.

The return expected out of the realty business on this stretch was calculated to almost Rs 1,500 crore over a period of 10 to 15 years. In fact, DMRC had proposed a hike in the value of floor space index (FSI) from the present 1.8 to 2.7, along the corridor. The area to be developed, is within the 3 km radius of the corridor. However, this could not be carried out as most of the plots alongside the corridor were either sold or were utilised for other purposes.

The land required in the project was estimated to be about 69.89 hectares out of which 60.24 hectares belonged to the state government, public sector and municipal corporation, while only 9.65 hectares is supposed to be private land.

For part funding of the project, DMRC had recommended an increased FSI within 1 km radius along the metro corridor which would be sold to the developer. The report also recommended the charging a "betterment fee" for development along the corridor.

"In fact, a proposal is being made to increase the FSI along BRTS and metro corridor, making the stretch more attractive. Many companies will open their offices here along with townships. We call this transit oriented development and this would fuel the metro providing passengers living and moving for work along the corridor," says a senior GIDB officer.

Tags
ahmedabad, gujarat, metro

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: