daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #61
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmaster View Post
As I see the Chineses are investing a lot in the country, i'm asking why, it's just commercial thing or China has some relations in Congo's history as well?
Congo has no historical relationship with China. The Chinese are investing in Congo for economic reasons, just like in the rest of Africa. They need Congo's raw materials, and in exchange they build cheap infrastructure.

This Congolese caricature says it all (Congolese are very good at political satire, probably because they go through so much hardship). The US eagle tells the Chinese dragon: "Step aside, hideous dragon! DRC, my preserve!" The dragon answers: "Me, I bring cash and concrete to the DRC... And you? So step aside yourself!" And the Congolese leopard below asks: "And me... who wants to step my debt aside?"

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmaster View Post
Do you live in Congo brisavoine?
No.

My only (remote) connection with the place is a female classmate of mine (white girl, very hot girl) from my days in high school who had just returned to France after spending many years in Brazzaville (she returned to France due to the Congolese civil war). She told us so much about it, about her love for the place, the hot sticky tropical air, her swimming in the Stanley Pool in the mighty Congo River, the night which falls sharply at 6pm every day, how the hot night is the best part of the day (Congolose people, on both sides of the river, are known for their love of dressing up and partying... revellers are called "ambianceurs" in the local French slang, and people who like to dress up are called "sappeurs"). She also told us about the uggly things, the people lying dead in the ditches in the morning on her way to school, one of her white classmates raped by soldiers in front of her mother one day and contaminated with HIV. It gave me the impression of a place where life is like in the Bible, tragic and epic, life and death intertwinned, a place like no other, so far removed from our cosy and pampered western world.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #62
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7486

I hadn't heard about this one before. It looks very poor, although it's improving, it has a long way to go, I wouldn't go there anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing anyway.
Old October 11th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #63
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244447

Interesting and nice photos as well from Kinshasa
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #64
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
I hadn't heard about this one before.
Kinshasa is the 3rd largest city in Africa, and you had never heard of it? That's rather odd.
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #65
Anderson Geimz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Kinshasa is the 3rd largest city in Africa, and you had never heard of it? That's rather odd.
Hmmm, ...well 3rd or 4th (impossible to tell really).
With Brazzaville it certainly is 3rd...
Anderson Geimz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #66
PortoNuts

Quote:
I don't find that odd. Most of the world doesn't know many things about Africa.

The way you speak it looks like Kinshasa is a major world city.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #67
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
The way you speak it looks like Kinshasa is a major world city.
Most people have heard at least of Cairo, Lagos and Kinshasa. And Kinshasa is indeed a major world city. A poor one, but a major one nonetheless (although not a global city in the economic sense of course). Kinshasa is expected to reach 17 million inhabitants by 2025 (without even including Brazzaville), passing both Lagos and Cairo to become Africa's largest city.

Latest UN forecast for African agglomerations in 2025:
1- Kinshasa: 16.8 million inhabitants (without Brazzaville); 18.9 million (with Brazzaville)
2- Lagos: 15.8
3- Cairo: 15.6
4- Luanda: 8.2
5- Khartoum: 7.9
6- Addis Ababa: 6.2
7- Abidjan: 6.0
8- Nairobi: 5.9
9- Dar es Salaam: 5.7
10- Alexandria: 5.7

Source: http://www.un.org/esa/population/pub...rban_agglo.htm
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #68
PortoNuts

Quote:
Most people have heard at least of Cairo, Lagos and Kinshasa. And Kinshasa is indeed a major world city. A poor one, but a major one nonetheless (although not a global city in the economic sense of course). Kinshasa is expected to reach 17 million inhabitants by 2025 (without even including Brazzaville), passing both Lagos and Cairo to become Africa's largest city.
Most people have heard about Cairo, Lagos and Kinshasa and never hear anything about Cape Town or Johannesburg? Now that's odd.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #69
brisavoine
BANNED

Twist people's words as much as you want if that makes you happy. It's really pathetic in the end.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #70
PortoNuts

Quote:
Twist people's words as much as you want if that makes you happy. It's really pathetic in the end.
Where is the twist? If you were speaking about Africa you clearly forgot those two. South Africa is in Africa as far as I know.
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #71
dutchmaster
world citizen

brisvaoine, Kinshasa could has a huge population but i never heard of the city until this thread too..i think such cities like Nairobi, Lagos, Cairo and the big south african Johannesburg, Cape Town e etc are much more popular thant DR Congo capital. And its not just me that are saying that..
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #72
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19754

Very interesting thread with great pictures!
We don't see Kinshasa here often...
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #73
Anderson Geimz
BANNED

Quote:

Latest UN forecast for African agglomerations in 2025:
1- Kinshasa: 16.8 million inhabitants (without Brazzaville); 18.9 million (with Brazzaville)
2- Lagos: 15.8
3- Cairo: 15.6
4- Luanda: 8.2
5- Khartoum: 7.9
6- Addis Ababa: 6.2
7- Abidjan: 6.0
8- Nairobi: 5.9
9- Dar es Salaam: 5.7
10- Alexandria: 5.7

Source: http://www.un.org/esa/population/pub...rban_agglo.htm
These projections don't make any sense...And where's Joburg?
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #74
brisavoine
BANNED

The UN applies strict rules for urban agglomerations. They considered that Johannesburg and Ekurhuleni (the East Rand) were two separate urban agglomerations. If you add them together, then in 2025 their combined population will be 7.6 million (from currently 6.4 million). If you also add up the agglomerations of Pretoria and Vereeniging, then the whole thing combined, which corresponds to the most part of the Gauteng province, will have 10.5 million inhabitants in 2025 according to the UN (from currently 8.8 million).
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #75
Anderson Geimz
BANNED

Quote:
The UN applies strict rules for urban agglomerations. They considered that Johannesburg and Ekurhuleni (the East Rand) were two separate urban agglomerations. If you add them together, then in 2025 their combined population will be 7.6 million (from currently 6.4 million). If you also add up the agglomerations of Pretoria and Vereeniging, then the whole thing combined, which corresponds to the most part of the Gauteng province, will have 10.5 million inhabitants in 2025 according to the UN (from currently 8.8 million).
The UN does no such thing. The UN takes whatever data it is given by the individual countries. There's an incentive here for governments to manipulate the numbers.

The second thing is that is that "urban agglomeration" is not an accurate and comparable measurement of a city. Some cities have green belts, some cities have detached suburbs further away. Why should the populations of crowded slums and sprawling suburbs count, while other populations who have more interactions with the urban center don't, just because their house is seperated by 200 meters of gras?

Also, projecting current or past demographic trends 15 years into the future almost never gives a realistic outcome. The UN also predicted that Brazil would have 200 million in 1990.
Nairobi doubeling its population in 15 years time is just ludicrous!
Cairo already is at 15 million.
Metropolitan Johannesburg is over 10 million also.
Luanda at 8.2 million is just ridiculous...

Just go through that list and you know something aint right.
They put Bangkok at 6.7m, Jakarta at 9.1m, Seoul at 9.8m, Osaka at 11.3, London at 8.6m and
Atlanta at 4.5m, Chicago at 9m, Miami at 5.6m.

But this is an awesome thread that is much appreciated, so let's not go too far off topic...

Last edited by Anderson Geimz; October 12th, 2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #76
brisavoine
BANNED

A recent video showing the streets of Kinshasa (the video is about the recent westernization of women's clothes in Kinshasa). Interesting views of daily life in Kinshasa. The city really doesn't look like the hell it's made to be.

Old February 28th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #77
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4257

Any new skyscrapers going up there?

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:23 PM   #78
groentje
New Brusseleir

Likes (Received): 3

Thanks for showing is this big African city.
groentje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #79
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20280

What are the transport links to Brazzaville? Is there a bridge or is it overcrowded, rusting boats?
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:46 PM   #80
KaEL-

Rusting boats, unfortunately. Beside, they called their ports : "beach". Recently, a boat sank with dozens of people between beach of Kinshasha and Brazzaville's one. Anyway, i don't think a bridge could be useful due to time spent in congolese Customs. From my experience, i spent one hours in Brazzaville Congo custom and one hours too in Kinshasa Congo custom. (well above, the journey which lasts forty-five minutes)
KaEL- no está en línea   Reply With Quote