daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #61
Itus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
777's are as long as a 747, just not as high, right?

They are making an air cargo version of the A380, I think. I could envision seeing one of those here someday.

BWI was an emergency landing spot for the Concorde back in the day. Reagan Nationals runways were too short for it, I believe.
hmm my impression is that the 777-200 is not as long as the 747, but the 777-300 is longer. for sure the 777s don't get as high as the 747 with regard to the cabin thanks to the 747 upper deck...

just comparing some wiki stats:

B777-300
Length: 73.9 m
Wingspan: 60.9 m (64.8 m for the ER)
Tail Height: 18.5 m (18.7 m for the ER and 18.8 m for the -200LR)

B747-400
Length: 70.6 m
Wingspan: 64.4 m
Height: 19.4 m

A380
Length: 73 m
Wingspan: 79.8 m
Height: 24.1 m

I guess this means the wingspan would be the issue.
Itus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 14th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #62
Itus

dunno how long these have been up

August 2008
www.bwiairport.com

Total Domestic Passengers: 1844724
Total International Passengers: 45372
Total Commercial Passengers: 1890096
% Change from August '07 (Decrease): (8.2)

Total Cargo (metric tons): 8421 [8201 domestic / 220 international]
% Change from August '07 (Decrease): (21.3)

And for the BA flight:

BRITISH AIRWAYS (BA 228/229)
Enplaned (BA 228): 5097
Deplaned (BA 229): 5257
Total: 10354
% Change from August '07 (Decrease): (1.3)
Estimated Number of Seats: 11904
Estimated Load Factor: 87%

Last edited by Itus; October 14th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #63
Itus

BWI ranks No. 5 among favorite airports in reader poll
Baltimore Business Journal - by Rachel Bernstein Staff

The frequent fliers have spoken: Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport was named the fifth-favorite U.S. airport by travelers in the Smarter Travel 2008 Readers’ Choice Awards.

Las Vegas McCarran International came in first, Denver International was second, Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International was third and Washington Reagan National edged out BWI for fourth place. Smartertravel.com released the results of its competition this week. The Web site asked its readers to vote and rank their favorite and least-favorite airlines and airports.

“BWI Marshall Airport and our airline, security, and concessions partners work very hard to create a pleasant and efficient travel experience,” Timothy L. Campbell, Executive Director of the Maryland Aviation Administration, said in a statement Wednesday.

Earlier this year, J.D. Power and Associates ranked BWI among North America’s best airports for passenger satisfaction. Last year, Aviation.com recognized BWI in its list of best airports for access and efficiency.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...7/daily32.html
10/29/08
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #64
Gsol

Likes (Received): 94

There is one major problem with the airport, that is circulation between the terminal and the car rental facility and also betweenthe MARC/Amtak station. When I visit Balto I come in by train, then rent a car. So, you have to take the bus from the train station to the terminal, then get another bus to the car rental facility. The last time I did this was on a recent Saturday, the lightest day of the week for air travel, but the car rental bus was jammed, people couldn't get on. Its quite a lengthy trip from the terminal to the rental facility. They need a monorail to connect all these areas, something like Newark, JFK, Las Vegas,etc. Its real hassel for those needing to rent a car. When BWI renovated the terminal, the monrail system was in the plan, but was nixed due financial constraints. It needs to be put back.

Last edited by Gsol; October 30th, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Gsol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #65
micrip

Likes (Received): 153

Interesting. I wonder how many other travelers use this combination...train and car rental...who are not flying at all. On the few occasions I have traveled by train in recent years, I have used the BWI station. Maybe they should at least provide a van to circulate between the 2, bypassing the terminal entirely.
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #66
Itus

Domestic airfare price at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport climbs 9 percent
Baltimore Business Journal - by Ryan Sharrow Staff

The average domestic airfare at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport climbed 9.3 percent in the second quarter, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The average domestic flight out of BWI cost $289.92 in the quarter, compared with $265.23 during the same period last year.

Since 2000, BWI’s domestic flights during the second quarter have hiked 2.2 percent.

More than half of BWI’s passengers fly discount carrier Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV).

BWI ranks No. 83 for the lowest domestic flights out of the top 100 largest airports.

The average U.S. domestic fare among the top airports rose 8.1 percent in the second quarter to $351.86. That number is the highest average fares have reached in the 13 years the U.S. has measured the data.

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, which is dominated by Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE: DAL), had the most expensive domestic flights, $594.99.

Dulles International Airport in Northern Virginia was No. 11, with the average domestic flight costing $434.67

Washington’s Reagan National was up 17 percent year over year to $419.18.

Love Field in Dallas, Southwest’s hub, had the cheapest domestic flights in the U.S., averaging $220.81.

10/30/08
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...d=lfn&brthrs=1
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #67
k25150

Likes (Received): 127

Are these added flights new flights or are they just old flights that were axed due to high fuel costs in the summer and the ones that are dropped after Summer?
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #68
Itus

Something to keep an eye on:

It was announced today that the Air France/Delta partnership will start flying nonstop from Paris CDG to both Pittsburgh (PIT) and Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to be operated on Delta 757s. This kind of service will be similar to what Northwest (now pretty much Delta) did using a 757 to fly the Hartford-Amsterdam route (discontinued).

Apparently BWI was discussed for the Amsterdam route but it didn't work out for this year, and from other forums, the BWI-Paris route by Delta was mentioned as a possibility once. We'd have to wait for other announcements. It's my impression that Amsterdam would work better for BWI so if NW/DL got onto a route with a 757 it should work (perhaps even a Delta 767-300 during peak season, although probably not the A330s). I guess another question is whether the NW/DL airline will still have a strong presence in Amsterdam or whether it'll restrict itself to focusing on Paris.
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #69
Itus

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
Are these added flights new flights or are they just old flights that were axed due to high fuel costs in the summer and the ones that are dropped after Summer?
I really don't recall what routes exactly were cut, but I do think some routes mentioned here are getting added flights even when they did not lose flights during this season's round of cuts. I think the Islip route is actually losing another flight on top of a cut it already had this season...

...although quite frankly I haven't been following Southwest's seasonal route adjustments very much to be sure.
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #70
Itus

Southwest adds 11 nonstop flights at BWI
Baltimore Business Journal - by Scott Dance Staff

Southwest Airlines is adding 11 nonstop flights and cutting two from its schedule at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport when spring travel gets going.

Dallas-based Southwest (NYSE: LUV) is also starting service to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport in the spring, with eight daily flights from Chicago Midway Airport.

The changes take effect March 8 and include one additional departure from Baltimore to:

• Denver, with four daily trips;

• Detroit, with four daily trips;

• Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., with five daily trips;

• Kansas City, with three daily trips;

• Chicago (Midway), with seven daily trips;

• Manchester, N.H., with 10 daily trips;

• Norfolk, Va., with five daily trips;

• West Palm Beach, Fla., with four daily trips;

• Phoenix, with four daily trips;

• St. Louis, with five daily trips; and,

• Tampa Bay, Fla., with six daily trips

The airline is scaling back by one flight departures from Baltimore to Long Island, N.Y., and Providence, R.I., to six and 10 daily trips, respectively.

BWI is also gaining one daily arrival each from Hartford, Conn., and Nashville, Tenn., for eight and seven daily trips, respectively.

Southwest is the dominant carrier at BWI, carrying slightly more than half of its passengers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...d=lfn&brthrs=1
11/6/08
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #71
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 933

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,5714278.story

Southwest plans travel to Mexico

November 11, 2008

DALLAS Southwest Airlines Co., looking to expand its U.S.-only service, said yesterday it will sell tickets for travel to Mexico beginning in 2010 through a deal with Mexican partner Volaris. The announcement comes a few months after Southwest announced a similar deal with WestJet Airlines that will allow it to sell travel to Canada late next year. Dallas-based Southwest offered no details of fares or flight schedules for the deal with Volaris, saying that would be worked out by early 2010. The airline is the No. 1 carrier at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. Volaris was founded in 2006 and serves 23 cities in Mexico. It operates a new fleet of 18 Airbus A319 and A320 aircraft - unlike Southwest's fleet, which is all Boeing 737s, and much older on average.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #72
Itus

Inauguration traffic is causing AirTran to add a couple extra flights into BWI during the MLK/Inauguration period.

Out of curiosity I pulled up some roundtrip ticket prices for that period (Saturday to Wednesday) from Chicago to Baltimore (maybe one of the biggest routes during the event, next to all the Chicago-DC flights)...Here's what I found on Orbitz:

total nonstop roundtrip price on
American Airlines: $837
United Airlines: $1037
US Airways (operated by United on codeshare): $1981

These are also economy class fares apparently. Crazy.

The cheapest on Orbitz would be for a traveler to fly first to Canada and then back down to Baltimore on Air Canada Jazz's flight from Toronto.

The same search for Southwest's Midway-Baltimore flights showed that most flights were completely booked. The one flight I could do would cost $431 roundtrip.
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #73
Itus

Just to give you an idea, $1037 is sometimes enough to fly to Tokyo during the summer.

Some more crazy nonstop roundtrip prices to BWI (all quoted by Orbitz, not the airlines' actual sites):

Northwest Airlines: DTW $779, MSP $1562, MEM $1693
Delta Air Lines: ATL $645, CVG $745, SLC $859
American Airlines: DFW $1065, MIA $805 (even with competition from AirTran, who is $509 btw)
Continental Airlines: IAH $861
US Airways: CLT $518, PHX $1345, LAS $866
United Airlines: DEN $851

And some other nonstops are quite simply booked.
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #74
micrip

This doesn't surprise me. I've heard (it was on my morning radio show) that every hotel room in the Baltimore area is booked for the inauguration, and that people are looking to rent spare rooms in private houses for hundreds of $ a night!! Crazy!! This is going to bring millions of tourist $'s to the area.
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM   #75
Itus

In the Sun today: http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/b...0,580531.story

Southwest wants to give up some gates (presumably at Pier A/B, unless they still have on hand C gates although I'd doubt that)...no real reason except that they're probably not using all of their current gates to the level of efficiency that they want.

If it's A/B Pier then it seems a bit odd to give up some gate space at a terminal that essentially feels owned by Southwest...and I wonder what kind of aircraft besides 737s those gates could handle.

Anyway more inauguration flights added now by Southwest:
Jan. 17, 2009:
-- One nonstop departure from Austin to Baltimore/Washington.
-- One nonstop departure from Birmingham to Baltimore/Washington.
-- One nonstop departure from Houston Hobby to Baltimore/Washington.
-- One nonstop departure from Chicago Midway to Washington Dulles.
-- One nonstop departure from St. Louis to Baltimore/Washington.

Jan. 18, 2009:
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to Austin.
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to Birmingham.
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to Houston Hobby.
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to St. Louis.
-- One nonstop departure from St. Louis to Baltimore/Washington.
-- One nonstop departure from Washington Dulles to Chicago Midway.

Jan. 19, 2009:
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to St. Louis.

Jan. 20, 2009:
-- One nonstop departure from Kansas City to Baltimore/Washington.
-- One nonstop departure from Chicago Midway to Baltimore/Washington.

Jan. 21, 2009:
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to Kansas City.
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to Chicago Midway.
-- One nonstop departure from San Diego to Baltimore/Washington.

Jan. 22, 2009:
-- One nonstop departure from Baltimore/Washington to San Diego.

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/prindex.html

Why there are additional flights leaving Baltimore/DC right before the inauguration is beyond me.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM   #76
micrip

....probably to send the plane back to where it came from, maybe? Once here, they have to go somewhere!!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #77
Itus

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
....probably to send the plane back to where it came from, maybe? Once here, they have to go somewhere!!
Yeah it sure looks like that's what they're doing. I guess they would just bite the bullet in sending out a not-so-full plane so they can bring back the plane filled with high-paying passengers
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #78
Itus

Southwest seeks to trim gates, not flights, at BWI

By Gadi Dechter
November 22, 2008

Amid a flagging economy, Southwest Airlines wants to give up nearly a quarter of its gates at Maryland's flagship airport, company officials said yesterday.

The low-cost carrier, which operates more than half the flights at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, is seeking to shrink its footprint without reducing the number of flights offered. The move comes just months after state officials granted millions in concessions to persuade Southwest to maintain its investment here.

BWI officials estimate that Southwest's pullback could cost the state-owned airport between $3 million and $3.5 million a year at a time of declining passenger traffic and falling revenues.

"This is another illustration that these are very tough economic times and ... we can't afford to leave money on the table," said Joseph Shapiro, a spokesman for state Comptroller Peter Franchot, who objected in May to the proposal to forgive $32.2 million in undercharges to Southwest and other carriers.

That month, state officials reduced terminal rents and landing fees charged to Southwest - and forgave the millions in mistaken undercharges to it and other airlines - arguing that efforts to recoup the money could prompt the carriers to retreat from BWI.

But a nose-diving economy appears to have precipitated the outcome they were trying to prevent.

Yesterday, airline and airport officials insisted that the May deal and current negotiations with Southwest are unrelated. "The economic world looks very different today than it did at that point," said Timothy L. Campbell, executive director of the Maryland Aviation Administration. "I thought it was the best deal we could reach at the time, and I still do."

Southwest's plan to reduce its lease at BWI from 26 gates to 20 gates represents a scaling back of long-term expansion prospects in Maryland. In 2005, the airport opened a $264 million terminal dedicated solely to Southwest, which planned to use the extra capacity to expand its offerings.

"They were anticipating growing the operations at BWI where they would at some point need those 26 gates," Campbell said. "I think economic forces have developed in a way where they don't see that expansion developing in quite the same time frame."

Southwest officials said they are not currently planning any reductions in their roughly 160 daily departures from BWI, where the Dallas-based airline accounts for more than half of all flights. "We will continue our commitment to Baltimore," said spokeswoman Whitney Eichinger, noting that the airline has announced extra flights to BWI to coincide with January's presidential inauguration, as has rival low-cost carrier AirTran.

Eichinger said that Southwest is reviewing its gate leases at airports across the country as a way to save money. "In this day and age, you aren't really able to continue to hold space you're not really using. ... That's one of our biggest costs across the country."

Other BWI airlines are considering similar moves because of the economy, said Campbell, though he declined to provide specifics on other negotiations.

Airlines are often loath to give up gates, even if they are not fully using them, said Robert Mann, president of R.W. Mann & Co. Inc., a Port Washington, N.Y.-based airline analysis and consulting firm. That's because releasing gates opens up space for competition from discount carriers.

But as a leading discounter with an "enviable cost position," Southwest is probably less worried about such concerns, Mann said.

Even so, last month Southwest reported its first quarterly loss in 17 years, largely because plummeting fuel prices required the airline to write down fuel-hedging contracts that had in recent years insulated the company from high energy costs.

Campbell said the airport is looking at leasing the available gates in the Southwest terminal to another airline, though Mann said the discounter's dominance at BWI might make the airport less desirable for other carriers. "I think Southwest's very strong position at BWI causes a lot of other carriers to look right past it," Mann said.

Mann said Southwest's plan to operate more flights per gate at BWI could increase the prospect of delays for air travelers, especially during weather-related disturbances, but Campbell dismissed that concern as unlikely. "From the public's point of view, there won't be any difference," he said. "[Southwest] will have enough gates to be able to handle their flights."

The soft economy has airport officials forecasting lower passenger volumes for this year and next. BWI is capable of handling 35 million passengers a year and in 2007 accommodated about two-thirds of that capacity. "We're seeing a decline in passenger volumes this year, and ... we anticipate a good portion of '09 will be negative as well," Campbell said.

Fewer passengers means less income from concessions, parking and other fees. But despite declining traveler traffic and the anticipated loss of gate-rental revenues, Campbell said the airport would strive to break even by reducing costs accordingly, rather than relying on the state's already-strained Transportation Trust Fund. He said Southwest's decision will not hamper the aviation administration's ability to pay off the revenue bonds used to finance construction of the new terminal.

Despite a sluggish economy, Southwest recently announced plans to launch service at airports in New York and Minnesota. "Maybe they've hit the point where they're getting as much traffic as they can at BWI," said David S. Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association, an advocacy group. He added: "I think they'll still represent a giant operation at BWI. I don't think there's any chance of that ending."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,2621611.story

It does sound like MDOT/MAA will put off some projects for now...including probably the expansion of the baggage claim area
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:39 AM   #79
Itus

I know there are a lot of factors to consider, but I just wanted to say a word about Aer Lingus...

Aer Lingus performed WAY better at BWI in its first year of service that it is doing at Dulles.

In May '01 they handled over 8700 passengers at BWI, which jumped to over 13300 in June '01, which, I believed, made it the busiest international carrier at BWI at the time, and that was even with a Shannon stopover. In July '01, BWI was Aer Lingus' most profitable gateway, ahead of New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

In contrast, the Dulles service has steadily been in the 5000-7000 passenger range, never topping 7000 even during the summer of '08, and dipped into the 3000-4000 range during winter earlier this year.

So really, BWI at one time a couple years ago handled three daily nonstop flights to Europe absolutely fine...up until September 11th. I'm thinking that at least Aer Lingus should come back if its new codeshare with United still doesn't bring about the results it wants.
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #80
bma83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itus View Post
I know there are a lot of factors to consider, but I just wanted to say a word about Aer Lingus...

Aer Lingus performed WAY better at BWI in its first year of service that it is doing at Dulles.

In May '01 they handled over 8700 passengers at BWI, which jumped to over 13300 in June '01, which, I believed, made it the busiest international carrier at BWI at the time, and that was even with a Shannon stopover. In July '01, BWI was Aer Lingus' most profitable gateway, ahead of New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

In contrast, the Dulles service has steadily been in the 5000-7000 passenger range, never topping 7000 even during the summer of '08, and dipped into the 3000-4000 range during winter earlier this year.

So really, BWI at one time a couple years ago handled three daily nonstop flights to Europe absolutely fine...up until September 11th. I'm thinking that at least Aer Lingus should come back if its new codeshare with United still doesn't bring about the results it wants.
I heard this before. And hearing it again makes me ask why Aer Lingus chose to go to Dulles, or why are they staying at Dulles? And they even have the nerve to advertise their Dulles flights in the Baltimore Sun. I never understood why so many international airlines fly out of Dulles. BWI and Dulles are basically the same distance from DC. But BWI has an added advantage of serving two cities as well as getting passengers from southern Pennsylvania and Delaware. The only advantage with Dulles, I see, is its hub for United.
bma83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
us airports